Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this show has maybe the biggest disparity between sfx shots -> practical shots ive ever seen on tv. all the big sfx shots look absolutely incredible and everythibg else looks like star trek tos with harsher color grading. if the story sticks the landing that might work out all right but i have a feeling the story is going to waste most of the season on boring melodrama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

RYYSZLA posted:

33 minutes into the first episode, boy the parallels with the background lore of alien/prometheus/the ancients are strong.

is this gonna turn out to be like prometheus where it was meant to be a straight up prequel but they couldn't afford the liscence or something?

ridley scott only directed the first two episodes and doesnt even have a writing credit

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

zoux posted:

Golden skinned T-posed banshee androids flying around and exploding people with sound is very Hyperion/Ilium Dan Simmons.

im really struggling to get over how she flies around in a t-pose

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Waffleopolis posted:

I can watch stuff at work during downtime and was thinking about watching it. How violent/horny is this that prevents me from watching this?

people will think youre watching an awful scifi original television show from 2009

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

Only one guy said this and he probably is a troll

This show looks amazing

not trolling, this shows sets look worse than the ones on stargate atlantis

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

They're shooting on location. If it were a set they'd not be doing as much day-for-night filming.

South Africa, wooo.

its because day-for-night shots are iconic of low budget trashy scifi television

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I keep hearing about the expanse. Is it good should I watch it

its about a thousand times better than this show

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this show literally feels like it was written by someone with schizophrenia. not a compliment, its completely incomprehensible

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
like the show is a schizotypal personality’s attempt to make his delusions into reality. the only way anything makes sense is if this is some bizarre attempt at reverse engineering a manchurian candidate style trigger

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this is absolutely one of the worst tv shows i have ever seen

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

OH WORD SON posted:

drat really

its not quite westworld bad but its up there

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

Please post why the show is incomprehensible. I find that opinion incomprehensible(from the standpoint of comprehension)

i didnt say it was incomprehensible. i said it was awful
edit: i guess i did say it was incomprehensible yesterday. i was mostly referring to the scene where mother is having sex with the mysterious simulation atheist and then wakes up and uses telekinesis to lift boulders and throw them at people

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 22, 2020

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

Are you just bitter that a fictional robot had a more energizing and empowering wetdream than you will ever hope to have?

lol what the hell

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

What's not to get? It's a telekinetic murder drone that someone shoddily tacked on a human consciousness to and now it's very confused about its identity and role in the world and it's exploring its humanity and sexuality by using digital genitalia and it's also being psychologically manipulated by her mithraic AI gently caress buddy. Oldest story in the book, pretty cut and dry.(I don't think this is the show for you though)

Also, reminds me of Under the Skin, which is a fantastic movie

OH WORD SON posted:

She used her scream to explode the boulders

Entirely different.

yes, of course.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

It's like people are watching Zardoz and trying to criticize it like Apollo 13.

yes, it is a lot like zardoz

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Sci-fi attracts holier than thou types all the time that think they are so much smarter and better than the writers. Instead of letting a story play out they infect the discussions on how they would do things or how things should be. It's a fantasy show. Nothing has to appease you - it just has to tell a good story. And the show is doing a drat good job of it. Maybe they'll explain it later - who knows, who really cares. I don't need someone to stop everything, stare into the camera and explain "actually the rock in the desert was from planet yuiier-33z and senses anger". You can piece things together in your head and hey, if it's not what it is - I won't be mad at the show. I'll just accept the explanation.

Like the creatures wandering around - they clearly have a spine, ears, a nose, hands like a human - could it be explorers from before? Some weird animal? A society that collapsed thousands of years ago cause of giant snakes? I dunno.

now who’s being holier-than-thou

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sheriff Falc posted:

I said I like the show regardless of all that stuff. It's fun and cool, but has some some flaws that people could rightfully point out.

And the theme song is supa hot fyre. I will die on that cross.

the opening credits are definitely top tier

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zmej posted:

yea. I also find some stuff kinda hilarious if you ask a few questions that I don't think writers did. like, this guy who programmed mother and sent a spaceship to a not-very-well-known planets as the last hope of humanity, had seemingly no plans or equipment included to make sure native vegetation doesn't kill the kids. "hey man we're just winging it" but we see him painstakingly reprogramming Mother for weeks (?). I just find it funny that humanity's last hope was ruined because no asked if it was safe to feed the spicy potatoes to the kids lol

but serious question why did he capture a necromancer and not just use two service androids? am I forgetting a line of dialogue? like "oh well resources were sparse and this was the first thing I could get my hands on"?

im guessing he used a necromancer because it would be the best equipped to keep the kids safe, and an ironic choice if it ends up keeping them safe from the mithraic. but its also possible that he had no particular reason, and the writers idea was “what if kids born on an alien world after the fall of mankind are raised by an ultimate human-destroying weapon” hence the title of the show & the scene where she tells the three little pigs story

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

That said, I think it's pretty clear what's happening at this point.

There's some sort of entity which is trapped in that pentagon, and it's attempting to escape by creating a new body for itself. After several -- uhh -- abortive attempts (Tempest, most notably) it's finally succeeded in developing a host body for itself, gestating in Mother's body. It is the voice and the visions that people have seen on the planet, though it also exists in the Mithraic arc because the entire Mithraic religion is based around its continued existence and eventual freedom.

The only rub here are the Campions. Mother was not meant to be an atheist (Campion Sr.), and Campion Jr. was never meant to have survive. I think the implication is that he's also part human, part robot, like the new creature would be, which is how he survived the radiation. He melded with mother's tear when he was born, in the same way the rapist melded with a great deal more of Mother's fluid. It's why the creature is so terrified of him.

The backstory for the planet, etc. isn't obvious yet, but it presumably has something to do with it too. But the actual conflict is very clear at this point.

this guy got it i think. im turning around on the show tbh

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
figured out why this show swaps between sucking rear end and being super good constantly. its a pretty interesting couple of hours of heady existentialist scifi stretched out to fill multiple seasons of episodic cliffhanger based tv

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I had the silliest grin on my face when he was restored.

I feel like guessing where the story is going is completely pointless with a show like this, but what the hell, my out of left field guess is the “temple” in the desert is the spaceship of those other creatures who crash landed ages before the humans did and the hole they keep sticking their hands in is the rear exhaust of the ship.

its a corpse and thats its butthole

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

OH WORD SON posted:

Isn't this the worst show you ever seen why on Earth you still watching it

i always finish what i start and i suspect the season finale is gonna be cool and epic

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
lol they almost had me but nope this show was straight trash

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its not about having answers to questions or whatever. its about having a satisfying and compelling narrative, and this show just failed utterly at that, and on purpose

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DogsInSpace! posted:

Before our Lord and Master Spess Snek showed up I was slightly annoyed. Mother and Father were amazing but the show made little sense. It was beautiful but felt lazy... then the Mother gave birth to milky snek. Father came and saw the baby snek drinking robo milk and they declared they had to sacrifice themselves by going to the core. If it had been ended there I would have said wtf and kept my opinion; instead they flew through the core to the other side of the plant, unharmed. Then the parents jumped out the back of the module Point Break style and we saw the tiny milky snek had become huge. The ship went kaboom and our serpentine Lord flew to the heavens majestically. That was when I realised I had not watched prestige serious sci-fi but something grander. The show is like Lexx or Cleopatra 2525: it’s silly and weird and full of milky fun but with Flying Spess Snek who is a devil or god and probably wishes somebody had named him Chauncey.

I am left with a few questions: what does his voice sound like? Is it deep or maybe sound like somebody uncle Maurie who retired and loved to South Beach? Does someone have a gif or shot of our new Lord? Does our new Lord like boops?

disturbingly bad post

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i wish i had stopped after episode 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

See you next season.

see you then lol