Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It's patently obvious that Campion and Acid Merman = Cain and Abel. Rock to the head and everything.

I'm not sure if I'm joking or serious there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

uber_stoat posted:

also of note is the reference to the well known biblical fable of the young boy who turned his back on God and so was turned into a giant turd.

You kid, of course, but recall that Paul is covered in scales, and "scales" can also be a term for mineral or salt deposits. Thus, Paul is like Lot's wife, in that he turns back towards what God (Not Sol, but The Trust) told him to turn away from and gets turned into scales as punishment.

I love the quick shot of Sue giving him milk IVs as an attempted cure.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Yeah, shouldn't he have poo poo them out weeks ago? Does he clean the poo poo off and swallow them again? Are we going to get a Christopher Walken Pulp Fiction style monologs about having to keep these uncomfortable hunks of metal up his rear end?

It seems like the robot eyes are designed so that they can be stored in the stomach long term. Mother just swallows her normal ones to keep them safe. And note The Trust used those little task orbs to monitor his people, making them like eyes you can store in your tummy as well.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Nah, his eyes get all reptilian, and they look like reptile scales. I'm sure it's in some way connected to the Snake.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s probably futile to search for a specific allegory in the bible or otherwise; the conceit of the series is that all that mythological stuff ‘already happened’ at some point in Earth’s (pre)history.

Jesus died 2200 years ago, and now these goofuses are messin’ around with “the powers of God” in a new context.

Yeah, I think you're right. I think the show invites such a search by being so obtuse, symbolic and weird, but there is no specific parallel that will provide some interpretive key to the narrative puzzle. I think instead the show just wants you to get close to the characters' headspace: "try to make sense of these strange echoing transmissions."

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Zachack posted:

I don't think the androids have digestive tracts so Mother being able to store eyes/orbs in her internal body pouch is not the same thing as a biological in/out system. And humans aren't eating the orbs. I assumed the eyes just took root in Viking Man's innards - weirder was Mother's new(?) ability to just summon them back out and also make them glow. Truly the miracles of (dark) magnets.

Yeah, I'm not being serious about the eyes being specifically designed for stomach storage. My point is more that they're obviously very durable items. I don't even think it's that strange that Mother could draw them out of Marcus. They're her eyes.

If anything, that sequence makes the show less strange. Marcus's miraculous prophet powers were just the eyes doing their thing on his body.

What makes it fun is that the giant flying snake is literally just a giant flying snake. Some of the characters are like “maybe the snake represents a sword???”, and they’re obviously dumbasses.

There actually aren’t many mysteries in the show; the only major question is the identity of Grandpa Campion, since Mother’s memories are shown to be unreliable. Of course, that’s a pretty big question, because it concerns why she and Father are even on the planet in the first place - but, now that she’s here, the plot is pretty straightforward.

Yeah, that one major question raises so many ancillary questions about motive and purpose that even though the Snake is exactly what it appears to be, you still feel invited to speculate about its symbolic meaning.

And it's hells of fun.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

GABA ghoul posted:

Pumpkin snake is not an ordinary snake though. Something went to great effort to create it and androids were used to birth them thousands of years ago already. I know Chekhov's snake when I see it

To be fair, Pumpkin Snake isn't even really a snake, rather some flying bio-synthetic hybrid snake-lamprey creature. But the point is none of that is mysterious, just strange, wonderfully wonderfully strange. We know exactly what it is and where it comes from. The only mysterious part is the "why?".

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

There are three options: 1) the Trust is a big dummy, 2) the Trust set itself up to get killed so that these silly humans would stop depending on it, or 3) the Trust set itself up to get killed so a more capable robot overlord would take charge.

These are not mutually exclusive.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Only Paul's reptilian head will hatch out and the rest of the cocoon is gonna morph into a sacred dodecahedron.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Gonz posted:

Honestly, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I am thankful for the writers of this show and their seemingly endless supply of hallucinigens.

The acid ocean symbolizes the ocean of acid they consumed.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

They caught a half-dozen more fishmans the same way. The show just skipped over the fishman-cleaning montage so that we could have more excellent robot murder sequence.

I love how this show skips over the bullshit and goes straight to the wild poo poo. On another show, we'd have a scene of her recruiting Campion for her plan, followed by a scene of them both justifying the risks to Mother, followed by a scene of them using some science device to clone/grow enough leeches. It would be an entire episode dedicated to this and leave no room for Marcus and the vampire or Campion's robot girlfriend's slasher revenge or Father awkwardly flirting with angel-amazon-bot.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I don't think Sol cursed them with snake lycanthrope. I think the snake lycanthrope comes from the Atheist's patron, Grandpa Campion maybe. We see Romulus's tooth give off a spore attack like Mouse did, but it doesn't turn the vampire into a snake; it turns him into a morlock like we saw in season 1.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Doctor Jeep posted:

but romulus' tooth is from earth so how the hell can it give off spores that are meant for people on kepler
it's also funny how mithraics can even have "relics", the religion isn't that old (on earth)

I presume it's not a real relic; it's manufactured just like the one character said, and it's made via the same technological inspiration/exchange that gave them the murder androids.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

remigious posted:

As a baby haver that was a tough episode :( hoping that is not the last we see of the baby!

The preview of the next episode showed the acid mermaid nursing the baby in a cave.

Nuts and Gum posted:

For real I felt like she started carrying a lot of the show. Marcus’ fruit basket was her brains right?

Maybe, or maybe it just looks like brains because it's fruit from the tree of knowledge.

quote:

lol at mothers gate monitor going off but she doesn’t bother to lock the loving thing

Don't need a lock when you have an alarm I guess.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

This doesn't track. Sol influences Paul to shoot Mary so as to keep her out of the way when the snake baby is born. They're the same force.

Looks like you're correct here. There is but one signal/entity, and it's Sol. It does look like there was some sort of resistance to him among the "natives" since the latest prophecy card was a warning about not letting the tree-snake happen.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I absolutely loved when Mother punched through snake's eye and pulled out his tiny brain before commenting that he was probably very intelligent.

I look forward to a season 3 where Mother T-poses and Marcus anti-T poses and together they destroy the perfidious Grandmother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Those motherfuckers!

Schmeichy posted:

Motherfuckers

Counterpoint: Those beautiful bastards. Raised by [Spores from Nausicaa] looks rad as gently caress, and I'm gonna watch it.

frogbs posted:

If god is real this show must come to pass

Yeah, I'd watch that too.