Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Ersatz posted:

Their history probably isn't our history, exactly.

Post-apocalyptic "Boston" aside, I imagine that the weird sun-worshippy Christianity-like mashup that is Mithraiciam took off at some point pre-Dark Ages, instead of Christianity as we know it.

The whole show is kind of a trippy fantasy, so I'm just going with it.

It's mentioned that "you reap what you sow" is in their bible and that is a phrase from the new testament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I wonder if the actress that plays Mother is some sort of dancer irl because she can do some wild body acting.

The actors that have best played robots have had training or background in mime. Consciously understanding how to move or isolate movement for your body is critical to making robotic movement look right.

The show is making for a great hard sci-fi story. If it can bring together its themes about parenthood and belief then it could turn out to be a classic. It's getting pretty annoying how characters are regularly doing unusual, counter-intuitive, or just dumb things in order to get the plot rolling though. Even with the visions and the voices, the heel turn on Caleb was pretty loving sudden and drastic after he'd been so rational up to that point.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

The term hard sci fi keeps getting thrown around when it is clearly sci-fantasy because any tech they show is virtually indistinguishable from magic.

Look at Roman over here. https://youtu.be/gVszHLWHLo0?t=36

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Why did Paul tell Campion to dig with the hands of the carcass. That doesn't really work tho. They're not rigid tools and certainly not alive.

I think the hands were webbed and could scoop more dirt, but yeah, even then it's not like that would have sped things up much more.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Here I was thinking that the show might take a more subtle approach and have Mother give birth to a child, and then when it became clear it was evil, she'd be in denial and be conflicted between her love for it and the repulsion she had for what it was doing. You know, kind of like how in real life parents of murders and other awful people have to cope with their feels about that?

but yeah, no she gets that it's a terrible monster right off the bat. And good thing that atheist ship showed up, we were running out of cannon fodder. I'd love it if it was like The Last Man on Earth where a new ship full of people from a new faction show up every two episodes

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Mithraics lock up children unless they convert (both on Kepler and, according to Paul, on Earth). They murder nonbelievers using weapons of mass destruction, which are programmed to murder even nonbeliever babies. They execute their own for breaches in their faith. They have inflexible caste systems decided by birth. Children deemed for military service are kept away from their families and the real Marcus is clearly an abusive dickhead who encouraged Paul to abuse animals. Mithraics are implied to be anti-abortion. They've committed genocide in the name of Mithraism, not even sparing people who used Tarot cards.

They're hardline fanatics who consider all that don't believe in Mithraism to be atheists, and that's a belief that contributed to the widespread destruction of humanity on Earth. That's not milquetoast.

This is made all the more weird that they had to shoehorn in atheist child soldiers. I guess it was to say "hey the atheists were actually bad guys too!" and give two of the characters a trauma to work through.

From newsweek:
Newsweek: That giant snake is a strong image you end on. Did you always know that this was where the show was going to end, or did it come as you were building the season?

Aaron Guzikowski, Raised By Wolves creator: This was always the plan. I always knew that at the end of the season, that Mother would give birth to a serpent. Oddly enough, that was the plan going in—when I had my first meeting with Ridley [Scott, executive producer] that is what I discussed with him, because he wanted to know where it was all going. Yes, that was always built into the design there.

I hate this poo poo because having an end-point and working backwards is just as bad as starting somewhere and having no idea where you're going. In one, you're aimless. In the other, you contrive everything to get to the place you wanted to end up.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Some people were asking about why the voice would want the child born in the desert area and not the tropical zone. I'm thinking its in regards to the mithraic prophecy. Assuming the snake is technically an orphan and Mother was only a surrogate (she had no motherly connection to it so I think that works), in order for the prophecy to become reality, the snake needs to in the barren area. That would be being in the tropical zone isn't necessarily bad, it's just not what's supposed to happen. Now as for where that prophecy came from: Time Travel - Psychohistory - Literal Magic any one of those could turn out to be it, but Sol is the voice, then it has access to that vision of the future and doing everything it can to make it happen.

More extended theory just restates what some others have said in the thread. It's a super powerful alien bad guy that was just barely defeated and wants to live and/or be a powerful conqueror again (or maybe it's a insect-like simple consciousness what just wants to breed and consume - that at least would be an interesting parenthood contrast to human beings). Going to guess that it managed to psychicly broadcast info and tech to Earth with the purpose of humans eventually traveling there and beginning used as pawns. Maybe the aliens discovered Earth tens of thousands of years earlier and that's why the guy had the neanderthal skull. They might even pull some poo poo like "Sol's psychic influence lead the human mind to develop faster." Once humans got to Kepler, they'd be easy to dominate and rule since they'd worship him as a god.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

pile of brown posted:

We don't really know how much energy can be derived from fuel blood, Mother is capable of some pretty crazy stuff without other energy input for 12 years and then she feeds the baby like 8 androids worth of the stuff

Maybe the dark photons are a fission and fusion reactor that can turn any atom into any other atom

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I just remembered that the stuff Campion gives to the kids to energize them was called Serpent Heart. I'm sure mother and father named it, and they probably found it growing near the snake bones. Mother's blood powered up dark souls rapist when she had was caring the snake child.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I just remembered that Campion choosing to eat moss instead of alien meat because he believes it's wrong and no one else going along with it was exactly like that this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gwtmj2gPcg&t=179s

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

What's wrong with Campion?

I enjoyed the season, though it did drag a bit in the middle and it started laying on technobabble and some silly sci-fi poo poo at the end that wasn't really needed. Did the rapist really need to get superpowers from the bloodflow somehow getting reversed, something which you'd think an android would be able to detect happening just about instantly? Just seemed contrived and silly for something that had little point or payoff. The Terminator-esque earth scenes are a lot of fun and I hope to see a bit more of that in the second season. Mother and Father are both rad.

It's unclear exactly and gets into theory, but I think the idea was that the cards mother was looking at were not only meant to show her something from the past but also to hijack her systems in a way that would try and kill the snake fetus inside her. Draining blood from her did almost do that. It was an unintended side effect that the blood then went into a bad guy. I think the blood giving people energy or super strength is an indication of a property of the snakes. Maybe they were bred by the kepler aliens just to be drained of their blood to be used as a super-serum narcotic. It's possible that abuse of it lead to their society collapsing ala Bioshock. The root Campion gives everyone when they run away is a plant that might have been able to leach a little bit of that energy giving element into itself from the old snake bones.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

It's cool that everybody's liking how loving crazy the series is, but man was I hoping this would be sci-fi series that used its setting to make unique statements on the nature of parenthood that was still grounded in reality.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

GABA ghoul posted:

Lots of carbs/calories in a potato. Seems plausible to me

Yeah, saying Mr. Fusion exists in the future is one thing. Exponential growth lamprey and mind control telepathy bad guy is another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

General Battuta posted:

In the television show RAISED BY WOLVES, who is raised by wolves?

I know it's a joke question but the answer is that it's a reference to the story of Romulus and Remus who were cared for by a female wolf. This is a metaphor for the show since it's about inhuman robots caring for human children. It also ties into Mithriac tradition that has a hard-on for roman culture.