Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Victis posted:

Why did she howl like a wolf besides an awkward tie-in to the name of the show?

That poo poo was very funny to me in ep1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ep 4: lol animals have no heaven according to Sol.

Holy poo poo Mother can breath fire or at least hot enough to melt lovely medallions. And ice. Mother becomes more and more terrifying :ohdear:

cant cook creole bream posted:

Campion like most children in fiction is kind of a little poo poo. Good thing that the smug leaderson pointed out that he wouldn't be quite as pacifist if he had no food source either.

:hmmyes:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ZZZorcerer posted:

ok ep 5
the stranger the believers encounter is another necromancer right ? He's the one shape-shifting as the child to fool father, and necros have shown that they can manipulate humans somewhat (mother putting them to sleep) so he's been giving the visions to ragnar ? Maybe he's a version that got there earlier and survived the first generation there?

Ya seems likely. It definitely isn't human.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok I just blew through 1-5 yesterday. I was confused about the Arks. Is there just 1 Ark or multiple? I know there are budget restrictions with a TV show but when mother was onboard the Ark it just felt small so I was thinking there might be more of them? Plus the crew shown seemed like way small for 1000 people?

Seems like it's just the 1 ark and the 1 ship that had Mother and Father. It was 10000 people iirc.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oh no it would be a shame if that happened to Campion :geno:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

I didn't even know it was an eye attack. I just thought it was the eyes that unlock her true form. Like when she melted those guys faces the blast came from her mouth. That's why you have to wear NBC suits.

That was my understanding as well.

As to whether it's an attack that comes from her eyes or her mouth. Yes. It's freaky and effective and I really don't care if they never explain how it works.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ep6: lol Campion you ain't poo poo. Paul solved your dumb puzzle super fast. Campion is the worst.

That was a wild sex scene.

Shaocaholica posted:

EP6 kinda sucks but father is a boss

You can always count on Father to bring the dad jokes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ep7: I wonder what's whispering to Campion. I assume it's the same things that are also doing it to Marcus even though their voices are different.

Mother may be tied up, but she is still inflicting massive damage with her vocal abilities :v:

Big twist, if true, at the end of ep 7. I don't expect all of this to be wrapped up in the final episode next week so I hope it gets renewed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

If all you need is to bash the necro with an axe., what was the point of all the elaborate ambush plans

She still had her necromancer eyes in at the time so I assume that included her damage shield(like being able to shrug off bullets) or whatever.

Also did the rapist helmet guy die? I don't think we saw him again after that scene.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mokotow posted:

After viewing the latest two released episodes, I’m concerned we’re drifting into Lost territory. The mysteries are multiplying and there’s not a single answer forthcoming.

I didn't even think about it, but yea I am getting :lost: vibes now. I bet there won't be many answers in the finale next week but a ton more questions.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Google Butt posted:

Also did the rapist dude die or just dissapear

I had the same question. The mirror thing he was holding blew up and he and his android jailer were thrown back. Then we never saw them again.

I'll just assume he's dead and no one ever mentioned it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

So how many Eps left?

Just 1. Finale is next week.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

EmptyVessel posted:

Are you sure?
IMDB says 3 more for total of 10 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9170108/episodes?season=1&ref_=tt_eps_sn_1
Wikipedia has 8 eps in a table with brief precis but gives two further episode titles with the note "The remaining episodes of the first season include" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raised_by_Wolves_(American_TV_series)#Episodes
WGAW site confirms Aaron Guzikowski down for writing 6 eps in first season, only 4 of which are in Wikipedia's table of 8 (see here )
:iiam:

Loving this so far. Pulp sci-fi (imagine Virgil Finlay drawing this!) with mythological stylings (Classical and Old Testament at least) and the trouble with relationships with creator/parent figures (real or otherwise). Gene Wolfe parallel was a good call.

Oh okay I hope you are right and it's 10 episodes. I was just looking at wikipedia. :negative:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Google Butt posted:

im not going to find out

Your loss. Seasons 1-4 are great.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I like the doctor robot

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lumpentroll posted:

i hope ragnar is dead

He's going to come back as Mother's baby :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

So there's a blood inlet but no outlet on mother. That's not how umbilicals work. Mother would have gained like 150lbs of fluid.

Also lol at dude turning in a literal Bane complete with face mask and muffled voice.

Sol told him to rape and then gave him magic rape powers.

Then his skull was crushed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

How long were the kids with Mother/Father, they seems awfully loyal awfully fast to the being that killed their parents and humanities hope for future existence.

Kids are dumb.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Haha Father is jealous

Space Ragnar tripping balls on Necromancer eye juice is :discourse:

"They're devolving" :laffo:

Gonz posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

The whole final 15 mins :staredog:

badjohny posted:

I got the impression that the 2nd ark was from a different religion. It had a different symbol on the bottom of it. I thought the Followers of Sol only had enough resources for one ark, but that does not mean other religions didn't also have arks.

Ya this was my read on it too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

When Mother? Father? said "They're devolving." I knew exactly what kind of finale and show it was going to be. Now I am here for all the stupid.

Also the s2 thread title should be :lost: in Space.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Also wait aren't neanderthals smarter than humans? Or at least have bigger brains or something? Homo sapiens just outbred them so we won through numbers.

Devolving doesn't even fit in that context. :negative:

I will fully admit to being wrong on this nitpick so feel free to correct me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

fun fact: you can't actually devolve, you just evolve into something new. its very troubling that the ATHEISTS who LOVE SCIENCE don't know this.

(For real this show is kind of bad but also has good visuals but yes if you think too hard about the plot or the dialogue your head starts to hurt)

Right.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/how-evolution-brought-flightless-bird-back-extinction-180972166/

quote:

Around 136,000 years ago, the Aldabra atoll in the Indian Ocean was inundated by a major flood that wiped out all the terrestrial animals that lived there—among them a species of flightless bird called the Aldabra rail. Tens of thousands of years later, sea levels fell back, once again making life possible on the atoll. And, according to a new study, the once-extinct Aldabra rail came back.

At some point in the distant past, rails landed on Aldabra. There were no predators on the atoll, rendering the birds’ ability to fly unnecessary—so they lost it. And in the wake of the inundation event, the process happened again: Rails arrived on Aldabra and, faced with a lack of predation, once again lost their flight.

This article is what I was reminded of. Birds just evolved back into a species that had gone extinct earlier because nature be like that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 1, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder why "Sol" told Paul that they have to stay on "this side of the planet" and not go to the tropical zone because it's not safe for the baby. Did "Sol" know what the baby actually is? It seemed to be just fine in the final scene.

Maybe the tropical zone is the atheist paradise and Space Ragnar walked really far really fast and found them.

What I'm saying is strap in boys, space snake is in charge now.

https://i.imgur.com/oXLJkMa.mp4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Nemo posted:

The ship falling into the core really looked like a spermatozoid reaching the egg. Add one to the motherhood visual metaphors's counter.

That was an insane hour of televisions. Answers? No, gently caress you. The balls on the writers. I'm gonna be here for at least a few S02 episodes, see where they go.

The cave painting can either be explained via time travel or androids in a ship coming to the planet being something that has already happened in the past. But I don't think exlpanations and logic are the big selling points of the show. I mean, the superhuman robots had to kill a small snake and decided to DRIVE INTO THE CORE OF A PLANET.

Ya I am absolutely not expecting them to try and explain things in a believable way with logic and reasoning. I'm just here for the big overall ideas and symbolism flying snake adventures.

Basically

Adjunct Professor Metis posted:

just enjoy the ride. embrace the snake.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

God Hole posted:

i thought the atheist changeling's descent into a mad tyrant/messiah was incredibly well done. at no point does it seem unreasonable that this ordinary dude's grasp on reality would start to slip as he gets lucky a few times and a group of fundies are constantly massaging his ego with a bedtime story.

on the other hand, i thought it was INCREDIBLY contrived that the second rapist guy gets an edge over his captors, he beelines right for tempest and tries to rape her AGAIN instead of incapacitating the others / working on removing his restraints.

i guess you could argue he was all roided up from the milk, but like... i was still processing that android milk jacks humans up (??) right up until his head got crushed to even consider that. this was not foreshadowed at all, and makes no sense out of that one very specific context. that whole scene just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Sol told him to do it, just like on the ship :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kanine posted:

Is it worth watching Prometheus and Alien: Covenant if I enjoyed this show?

Give it a shot. Both of them are bad in different ways.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

uber_stoat posted:

i hope Mother gets to make the Awoooo noise again like she did in the first episode. it's very easy to forget that she is meant to be one of the titular wolves, this would serve as a reminder.

She should look at the camera and say "I wish I could raise my children. I am the wolf."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

There is some dodgy rear end CGI in these episodes.

I did like that the Atheists immediately realized something was up with the bomber and space Ragnar.

The Trust certainly knows how to deal with hate crimes.

Sentinel Red posted:

I have missed this strange, crazy show.

Million year old berry growing android. :catdrugs:

Despera posted:

Turning all your angry slaves into giant bombs seems like a bad idea

Not to mention the bodycount / escaped people from the collective: the bomber pilot, the android repair tech, the escaped Mithriac quantum propulsion tech(probably should've put a guard just to watch this one), the bigot, two guards chasing the bigot, nine marine biologists and three tank drivers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 4, 2022

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe they should've had the snake speed up as it took off or slow down when landing because right now it is just weightless. It's not bad, just if that was their goal they kinda failed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ruddiger posted:

Since he’s space Jesus I legit thought he was going to walk across that poo poo.

I thought he was gonna part the sea using some technobabble and technology.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Despera posted:

Did one of mothers kids get dissolved?

No, but I hope it's Paul

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bait squad! Bait squad!

The cgi is still pretty piss poor.

Paul is still the worst.

Gonz posted:

WHO RUN BARTERBILLYTOWN?

Hell yea I loved Billytown. "Get em pops"

Despera posted:

I like how billy had a chaingun and everyone sitting at waist level got shot at

I loved that it actually showed the crowd in danger for once.

Gorman Thomas posted:

Speculation spoilers I'll be hooting and hollering when we get a Cain/Able between snek/robot in the season finale. Personally, I'm putting my money on the snek

Snek vs mouse :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I honestly don't think the CG on the tanks is even bad, it's just such a weird design it screws with people imo.

The CGI when mother went to pet the snake at the top of the mountain was pretty noticeable

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

think they cancel it after this season? not sure how popular the show, i barely hear anything about it elsewhere.

S3 will take place entirely within the cave church :v:

Budget: saved!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Invalid Validation posted:

And I guess the Trust was cool about keeping the snek baby. What a twist.

The Trust is going to be benevolent without a hidden agenda and it is 100% going to get murdered.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I like the way The Trust does things. :rip: Mouse

Father was extremely adorable when he was bragging about being the toughest service model. And then we are rewarded with some milky robot.

A freaky cyborg zombie alien bird and then the episode only got weirder from there. Raised by Wolves is back friends!

Holy poo poo the cgi is really bad this season. This is kind of embarassing.

Despera posted:

No Sol dont heal him dont heal him

:hmmyes:

Despera posted:

ready for lizard paul vs robot jesus

Don't forget about Mother :black101: and Campion the fishman slayer.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Father and his jokes. He's so good. I really want to see more of that veil android in action.

Haha Vrille's revenge was terrifying and hilarious. :rip: all those Mithriacs. Where's Sol now?

loving leeches why did you have to save Paul? :argh:

DrThief posted:

I laughed out loud when half-faced android just wholesale slaughtered the mithraics and when Space Ragnar murmured ''what the gently caress'' at the sight of an ancient desiccated alien reviving and mutating before his very eyes.

Same but also when Lucius called himself the last true motherfucking Mithriac.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hope the dodecahedrons are revealed to be poops from an adult snake.

The snake gets massive

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Harton posted:

Enjoy the ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

redreader posted:

What do we think the new android will do? There were some pretty threatening looking scenes in the last episode, but it only did one thing which was a medical baby scan, so it doesn't seem super threatening yet. I bet there's some nightmare face behind the veil, though.

Birth an even bigger snake