Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

IT'S SO GOOD

the ending was shocking and so so cool holy crap. this is gonna get way more hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

now that the show's pacing has slowed down i'm starting to get really annoyed by the plot and dialogue. the setting, exposition and entire pilot are superb and this feels like a letdown

i'm fine with campion falling in a hole

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I hope he just gets to be their canary for the rest of the series and never gets to take the helmet off, then just gets vaporized in the last episode.

or popped next episode. he's a bad character and plot device

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

watch the pilot at least

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

I never watched Lost do people actually still rewatch that like Friends and Office?

absolutely not

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

General Battuta posted:

This show is not good, but it is great.

emptyquote

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sheriff Falc posted:

I for one am absolutely astonished people keep calling the space lamprey a space snake. For gently caress's sake, I mean the anatomical differences in the mouth area alone are enormous. Wake up sheeple.

https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/733518431740252160?lang=en

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

campion best character and i don't like the milk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

eschaton posted:

My own pet theory on the backstory:

The Mithraists descend from a group that decoded a transmission that showed them how to build an FTL transceiver of some sort. The thing on the other end figured us out real quick by asking questions, slurping up our RF, and/or connecting to our networks. It gave them a religion based around itself in the same general shape as a current dominant religion to make it easier to get people to convert, and said to go out and convert people if humanity wanted more tech.

The Atheists are not “atheists” (though they are that, too), they’re people that don’t believe the thing on the other end of the FTL transceiver is a deity of some sort. They were probably part of the team that built the transceiver in the first place, maybe even the people who initially built it, but who refused to worship the thing on the other end.

That’s where the ultimate conflict really comes in: The Mithraists are getting tech from “Sol,” while the Atheists are probably both stealing what’s given to the Mithraists and deciphering what they can to make new things (like Father and Mother). Again, more feasible if the original Atheists and Mithraists were the same group.

Hell, if you said “we got this transmission from space, built the thing it told us to build, and now we can talk to a god” and had any way to back that up in live, repeatable demonstrations, you’d have converts lining up bowing before it and asking how they could serve it in Planck time.

i like this