Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Arcanuse posted:

Lady, Column 7 Row 3.
Guild Apprentice
Sword and Shield
Javelin
Banner, Column 2 Row 6 (The hand looking one)
Name: Bertha :unsmigghh:

this guy seems to know what he's talking about I second this vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I'm glad that I'm reading this LP because I've played the prologue of this game at least three times before getting paralyzed by indecision and/or finding something else to do and I never realized that the Disfavoured were actually illiterate and mostly(?) incompetent. My take-away before reading this LP was always that the Scarlet Chorus was just a generic Chaotic Evil lunatic baddies faction while the Disfavored were the more or less competent Lawful Evil ones who were being continually dragged down by their lunatic 'allies' and overall smaller number of soldiers.

Goes to show how important it is to properly read things I guess.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I don't know, this line:

quote:

The Overlord regulates all trade. If you lack the proper permits, your goods are forfeit.

seems to establish both what crime is being committed and also the proper punishment? But none of our options quite cover that. Option three seems closest but there is a weird emphasis on 'leave and never return' that seems kind of unnecessary. But be that as it may, I think option three is closest to 'the law' that's been established to us.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

FoolyCharged posted:

Important thing of note is that the PC is also sent in, and we got handed this mission when it was very clear poo poo had hit the fan. I don't know if the game will address it, but I'm really curious about our relationship with our employer and what on earth we did to earn our suicide mission.

And for that matter was it kyros or Tunon we pissed off enough to land the job.

Well, it sort of begs the question if it's even considered a suicide mission? From the way the two archons are acting (bickering and backstabbing each other to the last possible moment) it doesn't really seem like anyone on the side of the baddies takes this uprising particularly seriously. That's at least partially because of their incompetence of course but I sort of get the feeling that it's representative of how most of the higher ups in the evil empire see things - like it's an inevitability that the rebellion will be put down one way or the other at the end of the day.

Who knows, maybe the PC's boss thought they were giving her a cakewalk sort of assignment?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Option one seems like the only real choice. Two is just letting her go and three is just being sadistic for funzies. Well, one is also sadistic, but it's sadistic in the way that the whole Chorus is built on top of.

It's weird how the Disfavored apparently got wiped out in this river and they have no idea what happened except that their bodies have been washing up on the banks for days afterward, so their new plan is to just do the same thing again but this time they'll bring the PC along? Why is there no 'No, gently caress you.' option for the player when faced with this genius 'plan'?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I vote we let everyone go. We took the town. That was the job. Anything else is someone else's department.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Radio Free Kobold posted:

But our primary concern isn't dealing with rebels and oathbreakers. We're here to one, read the edict (done) and two, save our own skin (in progress). There's really not much we can do about Ashe and Nerat at the moment and we don't really have any stake in this conflict beyond the terms of the edict.

Not only that but we should pretty much have negative loyalty values to both Ashe and Nerat by this point, considering how they've both been trying to gently caress us over ever since we arrived. What possible incentive do we have to make either of their lives any easier?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
That's why we should tyrannically impose our will and spare their lives despite the fact that doing so will piss off literally everyone around us.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Burn it all down

I mean, unless there's an implicit massive loss of life in the 'set fires' option it seems to me that burning it all down and letting people run away seems both more moral and more of a pain in the rear end for the archons

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Accept the commander's surrender.

I don't understand why letting them go is even an option, really. In order to get to this point you had to accept a sidequest and then go out of your way to trundle out to wherever it is that these guys are, right? Seems like if we wanted to 'let them go' we should have just not tracked them down in the first place.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
This LP has definitely done an excellent job of making me not want to support either party here.

But since we have to choose I guess I'll throw my vote in with the Scarlet Chorus

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Betray Ashe

Considering all he (hasn't) done for us, is it really even considered a betrayal?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
There's some mumbo jumbo when we break the edict in the most recent update...

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

: I lay claim to Ascension Hall, let us be free of this Edict.

: You feel a tug in your chest as a warm energy begins to form around you, before you know it, you feel as if you are lighter than air.

Cleopatra floats up off the ground...

...and absorbs the power of Kyros' Edict of Execution.

I guess a normal person would explode or something instead of just floating off the ground for a few seconds?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
This is the point where I dropped this game during my own attempt to play it back around the time it released so I'm excited to see what happens next. Thanks for putting this LP together TheGreatEvilKing

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
If I was the one playing I definitely wouldn't have the patience but since this is a LP I think we should get another artifact.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
It's weird how the Bronze Brotherhood are so antagonistic though, isn't it? Like aren't we supposed to literally be a walking embodiment of Tunon's Law and thus a pretty Big loving Deal? But these random guys that harass merchants for 'tolls' want to go toe to toe with us? Even if they won wouldn't some other agent of Tunon come along eventually and murder them for murdering us?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Two updates in one day, that's exciting!

But was that really the end of Barik's quest? Just 'you're hosed, sucks to be you lol'? Is there no option to persuade him to renounce his loyalty or something? Or kill Ashe I guess... though that seems a lot more difficult.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

BisbyWorl posted:

Let's bring Eb and Kills-In-Shadow and talk to Sirin.

nth'ing this vote

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Not looking for spoilers, but does the game ever explain why the PC survives laying down / breaking various edicts? As we get deeper into the game I'm starting to feel like that is our most important 'protagonist power' and, up until now at least, there doesn't seem to be explanation except 'well, you're the player'.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

rastilin posted:

I bought the game, largely thanks to how great the LP is. One thing that I noticed is that the thoughtful analysis in the LP plays down just how annoying the Scarlet Chrous is. They're blatantly making your job harder, purposefully putting you into danger and ambushes and then when you complain they rub it in your face that you need to suck it up.

At the river crossing, if you don't have the subterfuge skill you have no choice but to pay Bitter Quip to fight, the excuse that he's doing it for his people doesn't work once he takes the money. There's an option to punch him but it does nothing, you literally can't proceed unless you give him money... or use your legal authority to force the Disfavored commanded to degrade himself for Bitter Quip's entertainment.

What's really surprising is that despite all of this, the Scarlet Chorus still expect you to keep their best interests in mind. At some points there's a glimmer of self awareness, like the SC party member doesn't care how many of the chorus you kill and the higher ups don't seem to shocked when things go against them; but in any half-way functioning organization I'd expect the top person, Nerat, to pass down a command telling people not to antagonize the emperor's legal representative on purpose. By this point I was just letting everyone go, on the basis that as the Overlord's representative my job was to keep all of Kyrios' servants alive, and if anyone wanted to settle things differently, they should have gone first instead.

At the second meeting with the Avatars I was already working with the Vendrian Guard, so I chose the SC as the front line to soak up the damage. In that case the two still fight, but the Disfavored Avatar doesn't make any attempt to save you, and it's the Scarlet Chorus that drags you out of the tent. Then the Disfavored ignore you and go first over the wall anyway.

Yeah, the Scarlet Chorus really seems like the Chaotic Stupid faction from the first time you meet them and the game doesn't ever seem to introduce any compelling reason to overlook that glaringly obvious flaw and choose to work with them, it's kind of strange.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Xarn posted:

Would someone else be interested in a mechanics post about experience in Tyranny? I am at the end game with my 4-mage party, and have some thoughts

I'd be interested

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I know the 'everyone under Kyros is absurdly corrupt' drum gets beaten a lot, but still... just lol that this town mayor guy is openly dangling an opportunity for the PC to break the law as a 'reward' despite the facts that: A.) The PC's job is literally catching and delivering judgment onto people who break the laws and B.) a direct subordinate of the guy who writes and demands for those laws to be maintained.

I mean shouldn't he have some inkling that this plan could backfire horribly? Or is he just that confident in the absolute corruption of everyone in Kyros' empire, up to and including the right-hand people of the Archon of Justice.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I feel like you could also read the situation as Ebb being 'corrupted' by following around the PC and her party of baddies. I mean they've probably been together for a week, or a couple of weeks, in game time by now, right? Probably if everyone else in the party is all vicious and brutal all the time then there probably isn't a whole lot of room for acting out any sort of kindness or mercy, and by stepping out and volunteering to waterboard the opposition she's able to draw a clear line between 'us' and 'them' with her firmly in the 'us' category.

Alternately, maybe it's just a case of a Tyranny writer remembering Vader's force choke scene and deciding that it was cool enough that they wanted it in the game.

In any case, thanks for the update!

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

drkeiscool posted:

Strictly speaking, I feel it’s safe to say the vast majority of our ancestors also didn’t order genocides. Of course there are people throughout history who’ve committed atrocities, but we didn’t achieve the moral reasoning we have now through happenstance. It’s a disservice to the people who came before and through generations reasoned out why doing bad things is bad. It isn’t simple to us just because we’re “better”, it’s because a hell of a lot of people sacrificed a hell of a lot of blood to figure it out, and I’m always frustrated when someone says “gee all of humanity and history before the last x number of years was poo poo and they sure were lovely people I’m glad we’re not those shitters”.

"Better" is subjective but I feel like it's very fair to say that modern systems of morality are very at least different from ancient ones and, when looked at through the lens of a modern system of morality, there aren't many ancient systems of morality that won't seem morally reprehensible to the observer.

It's pithy to just say 'history was actually garbage and not worth emulating' but not particularly inaccurate when operating from a 2020 moral framework.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Well I, for one, enjoy the 'bane as allegory for exposure to new ideologies' reading of the text. It's at least more interesting then the 'bane are spoopy magic ghosts :ghost:' reading.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts TGEK, I enjoy your LP.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Do the DLC, talk to Eb, party with Eb, Sirin, and Barik.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Kind of interesting how when the PC asks Eb what she would have done if she were queen Eb's response is basically 'Well, I would have united everyone and fought harder and better.'

Seems like she came out of the war with kind of the wrong takeaway? So far the game has given me the impression that The Tiers were pretty boned from the start, no matter how effectual or ineffectual the leadership might have been... Is it really wise to fight a war your country is bound to lose?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

: The Blood Chanters are the Voice's of Nerat's cabal of mages. Their magic is taken from the sigil of Sirin, and from techniques stolen from the School of Wild Wrath, namely their magic of fire as learned from Thousand Embers, Archon of Fire.

: They barely qualify as a proper school or guild... most of them barely literate and, I bet, most of them didn't learn a drat thing, just had their knowledge... shoved into their heads by Nerat.

This feels like something that could kind of break the power balance pretty significantly in a setting where mages take years or decades to train?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the update!

Seems like a lot of interesting plot hooks in this update. Two old acquaintances of party members and a mysterious magical disease. Looking forward to what happens next.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I saw help Jaspos kill the target then ditch him for Reef-Talon. Honestly after reading this update I really dislike both of these guys.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the update. A few random thoughts that I had while reading:

It really is terrible how the PC in games like this often seem to forget the powers that aren't on their skill bars. Literally, this whole update should have been solvable by Cleo just brandishing her status as a Fatebinder. It would have been more interesting too, as compared to a bunch of generic fetch quests.

Reading the update did make me terribly curious about what possible reason the Woundkin have for sticking around in this shithole though. From what I can tell the Woundkin are responsible for the safety of the settlement and also for 'donating' the necessary resources to keep the settlement running while the humans are essentially just entirely parasitic and don't contribute anything at all? That being the case, why haven't the Woundkin just murdered all the idiot humans and called it a day? Maybe keep the... what, three? useful humans that have a direct role in purifying the water? What's stopping them? Are they intimidated by how strong the humans are? Even though they are the ones appointed to be the fighters and hunters? Very confusing set up here and I have a lot of trouble envisioning a set of circumstances that would lead to this outcome, where the humans sit around jacking off all day and doing nothing while the woundkin do all the work, only occasionally pausing from jerking off to brutally murder some of the woundkin so they can drink their blood/bones and live another day. And the woundkin just silently accept this treatment despite being in the overwhelmingly superior physical position? If this is supposed to be some sort of metaphor for how the rich exploit the poor in real life, it doesn't really work because the rich in real life have the cops and the military to keep the poor in line, but the humans in this settlement don't seem to have anything like that...

I also really don't like how it gets revealed that Jaspos and Wagstaff are both Equally Bad™. Given that this is Tyranny, it completely makes sense that they would both be involved in some reprehensible poo poo, since everyone in the setting is, but they're both involved in the exact same reprehensible poo poo for the exact same reasons? Just one is taking blood and the other is taking bones? That's just lazy writing if you ask me, and it also really takes away from any sort of illusion of 'moral choice', right? If the two parties are essentially just doing the exact same thing, then we (the players) can't make any sort of judgment about which side has the moral high ground, so what are we supposed to base our decision of who to help on? Which sprite looks better to us?

If the writers want to do this "the two leaders of the spooky settlement that you have to choose between both have a deep dark secret" thing then it doesn't make any sense for both leaders to have the exact same deep dark secret, right?! They should be different so that the player can make a judgment about which reprehensible thing is less reprehensible, just like with every other moral conundrum that has come up before this point.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Arcanuse posted:

Reef-Talon and Help cure the sleepless.
Made it this far, don't need to make this place our problem any longer than it has been.

Nth this motion.

And woow, that final scene is pretty bad. I know it's par for the course in games like these to have dialogue options that don't quite gel together because the devs were desperately trying to account for every possible variation of player choice with minimal word-count, but this is just one particularly egregious example. Yikes.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Well.

That was a bit disappointing.

Thanks for the update though, I do enjoy your let's play GEK! Your analysis is really spot on.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Victis posted:

Verse and Barik

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

This is WITHOUT the max damage sigils we have lying around. I have no idea why you would play a warrior in this game.

This is the eternal question in RPGs isn't it?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
What would be the benefit to our character by letting the ritual complete? Blighting the land doesn't seem very useful to us, unless I'm missing something?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Well from what folks in the thread are saying killing Cairn does seem to be the better of the two options.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I vote Verse and Lantry cause it would be cool to get the Act 1 gang back together again.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Does the game not comment on it all when you manage to secure all the spires? That seems kind of weird, aren't they supposed to be pretty central to whatever narrative we have going at this point?

Also, I've never gotten very far in this game so I'm just judging by this LP, but are you sure the Player Character isn't assembling some sort of army offscreen or something? After all, when you upgraded the spire a bunch of faceless mooks spawned in from somewhere, so there should be some sort of faction under Cleo, right? You can see the mooks in this picture here.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The infirmary is our last upgrade.

Maybe I'm reaching too hard to try to make things make sense, I dunno. At any rate, thanks for all the updates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
My votes for Verse. But also I agree with

Donkringel posted:

Do whatever quest needs to be done first in order to not break the games scripts and flags.

Gotta say the triggers are looking mighty shakey right now.

Let's not do anything that breaks the game :shobon: