Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What the *gently caress*

43?! How the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grem posted:

I really don't want to sound crass, but did Black Panther 2 finish filming? 42 was one of my favorite movies, and I liked Black Panther a lot, it'd be nice to see him one more time.

It wasn't out until 2022 so probably not.

I don't know how you continue it after this. loving hell he was an immensely talented actor and seemed like a great person. This sucks so much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

It's almost impossible they didn't know. You're talking about invasive surgery followed by month-long periods of chemotherapy in this instance. Not to mention the legal issues involved with having someone in that condition work on an action film. I'd imagine most of the cast and crew knew.

It is a hell of a thing it didn't leak, but honestly I'm glad for it. He deserved to not have his last days full of people hounding him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Christ, this is the most sobering thought about all of this, breaking the news to young Black Panther fans.

gently caress cancer

When I saw Infinity War in the theater there were a group of young kids in the row in front of me who absolutely broke down when Black Panther got dusted. I can't even imagine how much shittier this must feel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rantmo posted:

Recasting is such a normal thing to do, even when it's not under tragic circumstances, I just can't wrap my head around the notion that Marvel would do anything else. I guess if he had created the character, or it had been created for him that would be one thing, but neither of those being the case, you recast the part and dedicate the sequel to him, probably right after the Marvel Studios graphic.

Recasting is a thing that happens but usually not right away especially for a lead character. I honestly am hard pressed to think of a case where a lead actor died tragically between movies and they just recast them that wasn't a complete lovely clusterfuck like the Bruce Lee stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Dumbledore I guess.

That is a good example actually, though still not one people seemed very fond of.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Really wish they'd stuck with "Your industrialist dad was a bad person" in Iron Man 2 instead of making it a big misunderstanding.

That would genuinely have been such a ridiculous improvement.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I feel like Howard was as bad as most capitalist industrialists. Which is to say, he probably never had anyone directly murdered but like, he's a little responsible. Howard Stark would get the guillotine is what I'm saying.

I mean to be fair so would most of the Avengers. They are either absurdly wealthy, war criminals, or propaganda tools.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 31, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theironjef posted:

I understand the struggle to keep going when there's such sadness and turmoil now, but when the dust settles, they've got four films and doubtless a bunch of extra footage to mine dialogue from, and the character wore a full body suit. They can still give him a big battle out before he's dramatically murdered by... Doom or Namor or whatever, then one CGI or recycled footage face shot, one Iron Man sized funeral, and Shuri invents a nanotech fluid approximation of the flowers and goes after justice. She doesn't even need to be the leader of Wakanda, she's already got the know how and she already made all the tech stuff anyway. Nakia, also consumed by grief and anger, is her new partner.

Comedy side note is M'Baku, forced to take charge but still honor T'Challa's mandates for growth, while really wanting to just shut everything down and get back to the Jabari. Okoye keeps him on track, and works with him when they fight Kiber the Cruel, recontextualized as an ever harder line Jabari traditionalist.

I feel like "getting murderer by a villain to put over how badass they are, especially if said villain is portrayed by a white actor" is absolutely 100% the wrong loving way to handle it.

FilthyImp posted:

I woke up to an article where John Boyega called Disney Execs out for giving all the story to the white kids in the movie and sidelining the poc, and I think he'd do wonderful things if he has as much input at Boseman apparently did.

But since Marvel is a Disney joint...

John Boyega got hosed over so hard and it's 100% understandable that he'd be pissed.

I mean admittedly so did every actor who wasn't Adam Driver but Boyega more than most.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am curious about the whole 'he refused to meet with the third party investigator" thing. There is obviously something WB isn't saying about that statement and I'd like to know what because it's clearly them trying to make him look bad but I'd like to know what the actual story behind it is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

Lol Warner guy was stupid enough to think someone who's been blasting them for months on Twitter wouldn't keep receipts

Yeah I was expecting something like this. How loving stupid do you have to be to try to pull this poo poo against someone who was clearly expecting it.

WB is digging themselves into one hell of a whole to protect a mediocre comic writer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I laugh every time at work I see a WW84 branded product, but not as much as all the coke with Olympics plastered all over it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah it is to be honest incredibly gross to look at someone's nudes that they or anyone else accidentally leaked. Don't do that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Same.

Twitter is blowing up about Kang being Reed Richards's father and thus inferring that MCU Reed Richards might be a POC. Obviously we dumbass nerds know Kang is not Reed's real dad but a descendant. That said, can I just fancast William Jackson Harper as Reed Richards please?

William Jackson Harper would be by far the best possible choice for Reed Richards even if his dad was the whitest dude who ever lived.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

So the actress, who will be acting, has to actually follow the tenets of Islam in real life?

In this case yes, that would be ideal, because Muslim actresses are offered extremely few roles and very biased and often times stereotyped roles due to their religion. They should not lose out on one of the roles where their religion is a central and important part of the character and is portrayed heroically and positively.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Setting aside the cops and the themes entirely for a minute, my biggest problem with DKR is that the villain is the League of Shadows is the villain again. Like yeah, Bane's the leader now and they're gonna blow it up instead of flood it in fear toxin, okay but ultimately when you boil it down the real endgame is that the League wants to destroy Gotham. I all just gives a sense of "Wait, we're doing this again? And 2 sequels down the line?" It's like if in Iron Man 3 Guy Pearce revealed that his whole plan was actually... to monetize arc reactor technology and steal Stark Industries! Oh and he's actually Ezekiel Stane! After Joker I thought we were past trying to destroy Gotham (well at least for Ra's Al Ghul's reasons), and at least when Bane was announced it seemed like we were, but oh well.

If you're doing a trilogy with the intent of it ending, I'd argue the opposite. The League of Shadows is really the only choice. It brings everything thematically in a circle and ends with Batman not being a Better Ninja Than They Are but realizing that he can't be what they are even if he tries to be more moral about it. Anything else would feel rather toothless unless you had something basically the same thing but lesser. The fact that Talia was notably absent from Begins also really gives it that little extra comic cred.

You could arguably have done like, Azrael or something but at the end of the day you wouldn't change much except replacing one popular Batman villain with a slightly less popular Batman antihero.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think portraying Peter as an outsider is wrong but the problem was that Garfield's Spider-Man was a tremendously unsympathetic shithead. It's only the chemistry between him and Stone that saves the entire Gwen Stacy/Peter Parker thing from being a loving travesty. The writing was just so scattered and awful that it did almost no favors to him. When he had scenes that weren't written with the central idea of "What if Peter Parker was a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone he knew at all times" he did a great job with them, there's just like 2 of those scenes in his entire movie lineup.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

It was very "90s Hollywood writing for a female character". Less a character than a Mcguffin. MJ was never passive, she was always an active character. I think the best MJ is PS4 Spider-Man's MJ. She doesn't put up with Peter's poo poo AND doesn't just sit on the sidelines!

MCU MJ is a very close second.

Honestly, her poo poo in SM3 is way worse than any of Parkers dancing. Like that was meant to make him look like a doofus, but we were supposed to be invested in her desire to be a actor. I also have no idea what the hell Gwen Stacy was doing in that movie too.

PS4 MJ is basically Lois Lane but to be honest that works just fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

I guess I just think back to all the superhero movies ruined by trying to jam in too many villains (i.e. Spiderman 3) and wondering how that would work if you are doing that and also trying to jam in character development for a full superhero team at the same time.

Spiderverse

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly the Snyder thing is just lovely because it's pretty clear that the "Snyder Cut" was exaggerated at very least and it ended up being used as a bludgeon until it became "Zach Snyder gets to Make The Movie He Wanted." And I would even be okay with that if it didn't involve hiring a lovely sex pest to come back to play The Joker. (Even if it involves getting a lovely racist's name off the credits in Geoff Johns.) Bringing Leto back after all the poo poo he did is inexcusable especially because either he's a small cameo (in which case there are plenty of ways to handle it without needing Leto) or he's a more significant part (in which case gently caress giving Jared Leto more parts.) Even the Harley Quinn movie which was explicitly about her breaking up with the Joker and doing her own poo poo avoided bringing Leto back.

(And yes it's similarly lovely he's going to be tied to Sony's stuff too and god knows it kills any interest I had in Spider-Man 3.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 25, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

The studio execs (contrary to what some people might think) didn't get browbeaten by internet bullies into doing this. They saw there was an interest and they're doing this because they think it's going to be profitable. That's it. Any narrative that the meanies on twitter forced the WB leadership at gunpoint to sign a blank check to machevellian mastermind Zack Snyder is just silly (if you'll forgive the hyperbole).

Your reaction to Leto is understandable though. Not entirely unrelated, but Snyder booted Chris Delia from Army of the dead once the underage allegations surfaced and replaced him with Tig Notaro instead. I think the only reason Leto is still around is because no one has officially accused him of anything

Nobody thinks they were held at gunpoint, but there was a significant fan campaign waged on the idea of "Zach Snyder had an almost finished cut that was pretty much ready for release" and we're still not getting that. It's very possible Snyder's Justice League will be better than The Snyder Cut but at the end of the day it isn't going to be the thing that was the centerpoint of said fan campaign. It's absolutely cool if it turns out to be better but it sits really poorly with me after months and months of "Release the Snyder Cut" being about an almost finished product ruined by the studio that the end result isn't that.

The second part doesn't really make a ton of sense to me TBH. There is no real reason for The Joker to be in the Justice League. Leto's Joker was (barely) in one movie and is entirely absent from both the sequels to that movie, he wasn't in BvS at all, etc. Snyder didn't need to bring him back.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 25, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

Well like you say, this isn't the Snyder cut, this is something different. No, it's not what the fans asked for, but they had already set an unrealistic goal to begin with, they never dreamed they'd be getting Zacks "untampered" vision, as far as they're concerned this is hitting the jackpot.

Where Jokers scene is concerned, I'll hold of judgement until I see what his role is in the film. I do know he was supposed to have a larger role in SS which was cut down considerably. I totally get your reservations though.

Unironically yes.

I admit at least part of my problem is I'm pretty salty about not actually getting to see the Snyder Cut after all the hype. Getting to directly compare the two would have been neat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Howard actually being in the wrong would line up well with Odin in Ragnarok and T'Challa in Black Panther.

Honestly "My dad is actually a pretty big rear end in a top hat" also works for Ego and Thanos and probably other people I'm remembering.

"Howard Stark was a fuckup and passed his fuckups onto Tony who has to accept that and move beyond them to become a more functional human being" is such a better plot point than "He left a MAGIC CURE for PLOTANIUM because he was just that awesome!!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IUG posted:

Does Spider-Man Far From Home not count because it contains Marvel fan-favorite character, Ned?

Far From Home contains Skrulls and Nick Fury.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume at least half of those four minutes must be Jared Leto then in which case what the gently caress

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like the first Thor takes itself a little too seriously at times

Granted I haven't rewatched it since it was in theaters but that is what I kind of think compared to say, Ragnarok. I've actually never bothered to watch Thor 2. That is the only MCU movie I haven't seen so far.

The first Thor absolutely is the most serious treatment of the character. He's still kind of himbo but not anywhere on the same level as later.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alhazred posted:

They never really do explain why Hawkeye is using a bow and why he's so essential. In the comics he uses arrows because he was a carnie and has all these neat trick arrows. But in the movie he doesn't and everyone else that doesn't have superpowers just uses guns. Movie hawkeye is totally useless.

He does have trick arrows in the movie and also basically has Bullseye's power of "literally does not miss." It's still silly to use a bow at all but it isn't like guns make much more sense as being effective against alien superbeings or invincible robots.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly what I think should have happened in BvS is they play the con game, which would also make the random murder of Jimmy Olsen make more sense.

You get weird assholes media manipulating Lex only to reveal at the end he is actually Glorious Godfrey. All of BvS was a Godfrey plot. It makes more sense thematically and helps set up the idea that Darkseid us coming better. It also doesn't change any of the plot since Lex was already being influenced/possessed/whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Recasting T'challa to do a sendoff seems pretty gross to be honest. Either recast the actor or don't but don't hire someone to be a standin so you can kill off/write out the character. That is lovely to everyone involved.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The rules of Time Travel can and always should be "who the gently caress cares." If they establish rules and later break them in interest of a character moment then so be it. Time travel makes zero sense regardless of how much logic you try to use unless you evoke the idea of some omnipotent force trying to correct to a 'right' timeline or whatever.

As long as it works for the tone of the movie then that's fine. Trying to go "well THIS time travel is bad because heh they break the rules" ignores that pretty much every single time travel movie does that because time travel exists as a thematic element, not a realistic one. Even if you're going as in-depth need-a-flowchart as possible you're still going to want to put drama above realism which is why time travel doesn't leave you in the middle of space or cause surprising numbers of people to disappear or change entirely because your slight shift in reality caused their parents to miss meeting or whatever.

If time travel is used to an unsatisfying thematic end then it sucks no matter how logical it is, and if it's used well then it doesn't matter in the slightest despite the pure insanity it would take for it to remotely make sense that you slowly vanish in the order you were born for some reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

At the same time, saying "these are the rules" and then immediately break them is pretty drat dumb. Either give yourself leeway or just don't blatantly break the clear rules you set out. Or better yet, don't bother with time travel. As Barry Allen can attest to, nothing good comes out of it

I mean Endgame does that by making it clear that this is a bunch of people frantically trying to figure out how to even make it work and everything we hear is their best guesses. It also has godlike magical items that can do anything which are last seen in the hand of the person who breaks the rules and one of which is explicitly based around Time. Hell, Dr. Strange uses that exact same widget to see one successful outcome that explicitly involves using time/dimension travel to make it a success so who the hell knows.

Time Travel probably should be avoided but it is also a tremendously thematic and often relevant thing to include even in places where it doesn't necessarily hold together because the idea of "I can go back and correct a mistake" is so ingrained into the human psyche that if you gave any of us a time travel machine we'd probably go right ahead and use it to try to stop something terrible despite decades of poo poo driving it into our head that we don't have the ability or knowledge to actually understand the consequences of doing that.

But throwing away rules without caring that you're throwing away rules is entirely fine in themes of a story. Hell Terminator 2 flat-out openly defies the idea that time travel is predestined which is literally the big reveal of the first movie. Back to the Future's Time Travel rules amount to 'lol, whatever' and require you to accept the absurdly creepy idea that Marty McFly erased and replaced a version of himself from existence and Doc Brown lived a creepy false life where he pretended to befriend a completely different Marty McFly knowing that he'd be erased from existence when the Marty he liked came around or otherwise rendered nonexistent. Star Trek breaks its own time travel rules whenever the gently caress it feels like which is why you somehow have alternate universes time travel existing in the same series as "going to the past changes the future" time travel.

Besides we all know the only accurate depiction of time travel is Timecop with a close runner up being Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

You can't do the "don't loving worry about it" after you have a scene where you loving worry about it. That's just dumb.

Back to the Future literally has multiple scenes of people Worrying About It. It is quite literally a joke at the end where Doc has the bulletproof vest and reveals his solution to worries about loving with space-time was "Ah, gently caress it."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IUG posted:

Obviously Steve went to the other universe where there was no longer a Thanos or a snap, so Tony had time to fix time travel for real and gave it to Steve to use back in his own universe.

I'll take a No Prize whenever.

"He returned the Time Stone to the Ancient One who mentions that he is not Of This Time and she can use the Time Stone to return him to his natural timeline now that he's done. Steve asks if it has to be at the same time he left."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

Why do you think I moved to Mars

Elon Musk will not let Mars remain free of shitposts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It sounds pretty plainly like The Batman Who Dies is the future Batman, not modern Batman.

Lt. Danger posted:

Eric Stoltz?

Allow me to present my 10 point list of why this fan theory is 100% supported by the movies and tie-in media.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, though I think in practice it was supposed to be more like they were overconfident/outclassed and needed a huge hail Mary to save it, with Lois at the center of it all.

I reread some finer points and
Flash's time-travel save at the end of JL is supposed to foreshadow how Cyborg, Batman and Flash work on building the Cosmic Threadmill in the ruined Knightmare future of JL3. Flash was able to get lucky and jump to right before Steppenwulf defeats the league, but the jump they plan requires more calculation since Snyder makes it so there's only two windows where Flash wouldn't pop into the middle of the earth/space.

Batman and Superman have a falling out when Bruce's plan to place Lois in the Batcave fails and Darkseid kills her, leading to Clark's fall.

This would be what Flash prevents in JL3, leading to Batman sacrificing himself to save Lois.

Nah, since Flash is the only one able to travel on the treadmill. it's basically a long-winded way for Bruce's personal growth.

BvS is him coming to terms with being wrong and that Superman can represent something better and something worth fighting for.

JL is him gathering everyone and learning to rely on them/trusting.

JL2 is the low-point where his plans fail and he's left to sift through the wreckage because he forced a confrontation they weren't ready for.

and JL3 is learning to sacrifice for the future/for someone else's benefit, I guess.

But the summary specifically says "Flash, Batman, and the remains of Cyborg travel back to JL-time to issue a warning about the failed attack, but Flash is caught between time and torn apart."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

The big problem is related to what BrianWIlly brought up: it's not based in established character. The audience is forced, in the moment, to realize that Superman is against killing, something that is at no point beforehand brought up and doesn't really make a ton of sense with multiple other details. And because the movie never shows this, there's no actual drama in it. Zod's death comes off as solving the screenwriting problem of "we can't have this character walking around" instead of being an actual moral dilemma.

e: and then you also run into the problem of "why is this random family enough to make Superman do this when Metropolis is getting graphically loving destroyed, presumably killing many thousands on the absolute low end" and we're back to that poo poo again

I don't think that last part is necessarily a valid complaint. Superman was doing his best to try to make Zod stop and when he finally basically had him dead to rights Zod proved he wouldn't stop even if he was entirely restrained. "Why did he kill him now and not earlier" is because it was made pretty clear Zod couldn't be talked down or restrained and if he didn't act at that exact moment innocent people were going to die right in front of his eyes.

This is pretty much dead on with the reasons Superman killed Zod in the comics where even though he had depowered him Zod promised he would find a way to get his powers back and then he would murder Superman's entire world (after murdering an entire pocket version of Earth beforehand.)

As for the first part I think the issue isn't that. It isn't about Superman Not Killing not being set up enough or anything. It is that the entire emotional climax of the movie is Clark dealing with the idea that he can't save the last remnants of his own people because they won't let him. Which is harder to empathize with because what we saw of Krypton was an admittedly metal but total poo poo world and the Zod crew are entirely unsympathetic. Which actually thematically parallels with Pa Kent who acts in ways people find really offputting/unsympathetic and then refuses to allow himself to be saved.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 29, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Go back in time to April 2019, catch yourself as you leave Endgame. Tell yourself "the best superhero film of 2020 will be a tie between Bloodshot and The New Mutants". Then laugh and disappear as your previous self processes that sentence.

To be fair Wonder Woman is coming out this year just not in theaters.

So you can just say "The best theatrical superhero film."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

I've never seen much of The Brave and the Bold but it looks very charming! I also think I deliberately forgot about Turn Off the Dark.

Brave and the Bold is absolutely and utterly fantastic. It is way more lighthearted than most other versions but it leverages this very well and is able to tell genuinely heartfelt stories about love and sacrifice alongside episodes where a music man makes everyone sing songs.

Its Blue Beetle, Doom Patrol and Bwana Beast episodes are all loving fantastic ways to deal with death in a kid-friendly medium without dumbing it down, and its Aquaman is far and away the best version of the character to exist.

B:TAS is still my favorite but Brave and the Bold was so consistently excellent or at least entertaining that it is easily my second favorite, and the fact that it was willing to wholeheartedly embrace the parts of the DC universe that are weird and goofy is delightful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

I always figured in that gif it's happening too fast but Superman is grabbing the guy, spinning, and just flying out with his own back to the wall and the guy in a chokehold or something. If we're having this argument then every version of Batman on film is a mass murderer. So is every version of Spider-Man. And most heroes. Every man involved in the hallway fight of season one of Daredevil almost certainly died from injuries sustained in it. This is a weird double standard and it makes the anti-Snyder contingent look weird by bringing it up. It's a movie, they gotta make poo poo look cool and impressive and bigger than reality or it doesn't work.

No he doesn't. It's hard to see in the gif but he just puts him through several walls. You can clearly see him flying straight.

Snyder's response was just "He isn't dead but he isn't a problem anymore"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Then he punched through with an extended arm while holding the guy closer to him. I admit it's a dumb framing and way to show it, but I never went "oh that guys dead" more than I do in any combat scene in the Arkham games where you're crippling people and then leaving them in trash cans in an abandoned city during a horrible snow storm or whatever.

There is a significant difference in movie language between physical combat and super-speed slamming a guy through several walls. Movie language specifically evolved for non-lethal punching people in the face to be a thing even though in reality we know it would give severe brain damage. There is no double standard there because the standard is what is applied to pretty much all movies. No, it isn't realistic but the same applies to a lot of commonly applied movie language.

But even that language has limits and seeing what is a regular human smashed through two brick walls by what amounts to a speeding locomotive is something that breaks that suspension of disbelief for most people. It also goes against the same movie where Batman surviving similar circumstances required both a suit of power armor and Superman to be severely weakened.