Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I understand the struggle to keep going when there's such sadness and turmoil now, but when the dust settles, they've got four films and doubtless a bunch of extra footage to mine dialogue from, and the character wore a full body suit. They can still give him a big battle out before he's dramatically murdered by... Doom or Namor or whatever, then one CGI or recycled footage face shot, one Iron Man sized funeral, and Shuri invents a nanotech fluid approximation of the flowers and goes after justice. She doesn't even need to be the leader of Wakanda, she's already got the know how and she already made all the tech stuff anyway. Nakia, also consumed by grief and anger, is her new partner.

Comedy side note is M'Baku, forced to take charge but still honor T'Challa's mandates for growth, while really wanting to just shut everything down and get back to the Jabari. Okoye keeps him on track, and works with him when they fight Kiber the Cruel, recontextualized as an ever harder line Jabari traditionalist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Bring back all(*) the Netflix leads if they have a story for them.

*well, not Danny

Weird story Finn didn't pick up his phone that day so we just gave the new role to Lewis Tan like we should have in the first place!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

That must break his heart. I've seen few people as hype for a role as Cox was for ol' Hornhead.

He got three seasons and a spin-off, and he's certainly game enough for Marvel to give him something else. Heck he'd make a pretty good Cyclops.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

That tough mudder part has always stuck with me since part of Spidey's origin is the "gently caress it I'll use my powers to win at wrestling oh no I learned a lesson" so it feels hilarious to just add another NBD sport he dominates at.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

It's almost like this character that's been in multiple continuous weekly publications for nearly 60 years with a ton of different authors and artists has taken on a great deal of different personality traits, roles, and archetypes over that time.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Fangz posted:

I don't think it's really terribly useful to try and define an "ideal" Peter Parker that a screen version has to emulate, everyone has a different idea of what they want. Personally I don't like Garfield not because he failed to be the Real Peter Parker or something, it's more that within the movies themselves, he was not the sort of hero I wanted to root for. He's just such an rear end in a top hat, and not in a fun way, and the movie didn't seem to even realise it. Even the whole OMG, he has to LET HIS GIRLFRIEND GO TO UNIVERSITY is such an egotistical dilemma. No, I don't think that made him relatable at all.

I similarly found Maguire entirely too milquetoast. For as much as everyone likes that movie, the scene where he's getting dressed down by MJ for missing the play is painful when he could omit the Spider-Man bit from the scooter scene and say "Yeah, sorry, I got HIT BY A CAR so, you know. Also I still showed up, somehow, but your theater usher is, and I don't say this lightly or often, an absolute tool. Like he was making fun of me for getting hit by a car. You really ought to mention that guy to theater management." But instead he's just mumbling and looking at his shoes.

Like I get that early Spider-Man was part of that nerd/jock dichotomy and was basically a superpowered Ziggy cartoon and everything, but those movies, at least to me, capture why that aspect of the character isn't that satisfying on screen.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Basically the scene in Civil War where he's capably handling Winter Soldier and Falcon at the same time while also complimenting them on how cool their look and powers are is peak Peter for me. Earnest, wisecracking, genuinely impressed by the people he considers above him while clearly capable of playing at or above their level. By Far From Home they seem to have abandoned the wisecracking a bit, but I think that's because the movie wanted him a little somber post-Snap and death of Tony and so on, and just offloaded his quips to others. My guess is that in the third one he'll be back to them.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

But enough about BSS.

The current players may all die but someone who wants a slice of the billions will take their place.

Sometimes, dead is better. The theater that you closed ain't the one that comes back. It might look like that theater, but it ain't that theater, because whoever's got money after Covid ain't human at all.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Conrad_Birdie posted:

It is truly wild to me to see so many people bagging on movie theaters in this thread! Honestly makes me kinda sad! There is nothing like watching a good movie in a good movie theater, and you will 100% get so much more from a film if you’re watching it on the big screen and not laying on your couch in your living room. Like, wtf? Never going to see a movie in theaters again would be crushing to me.

Man I have that nasty ADHD so all I hear in a movie theater is literally any noise anyone else makes. And wouldn't you know it everyone in a theater is like "You know what sounds good right now is bags of crinkly plastic stored in other bags of crinkly plastic. Maybe also I'll just talk about my day and take selfies on my phone and poo poo." Even at home if I want to focus I have to put on the good headphones. Maybe it'd be nice if the theater industry stayed alive but it's dead to me already and I'd like to see movies closer to when everyone else does.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

To be honest I feel like the reason I never gave it a lot of thought is because Peter just hasn't been around long enough or had enough stuff outside the Stark/Avengers world for it to really hit home about how his identity being revealed affects him. Like intellectually I go "oh poo poo" but I'm not sure I feel it and feel like any kind of One More Day reset will have a huge impact.

I don't know. I'm not sure what I want to see out of that. Except May and Pepper becoming wine best friends and over moming Peter.

When that stinger scene dropped all I could think of was the battle in Endgame where the moment he arrives he just pops his mask off in front of two armies. Like yeah you're probably not gonna get sold out by a Ravager, Wakandan, or spare wizard, but it's not like that fight happened indoors or something, any number of civilians could have been drawn to the sound of fighting and spaceships and junk.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The protest over her being too light skinned to play America Chavez has also already started. Not that the casting announcement came with a role. Honestly I'm sort of hoping she's Zelma Stanton.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Sgt. Politeness posted:

The girl they cast as Ms Marvel "too light skinned" so that's not surprising but isn't America Chavez half black?

She's theoretically Afro-Latina, same as Sunspot. But also just like Sunspot, there's art of her with all sorts of skin shades.

FilthyImp posted:

It's more likely she's be Nuyorican but she's from an alternate earth so that point is kind of moot.

So is Miles but if they cast him too light-skinned you can be sure there'd be a huge uproar. Honestly I'm just hoping she's Zelma so this doesn't become the defining fight of the movie.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 17, 2020

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Quote isn't edit

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

How about a team up of Kingpin, Prowler, Doc Ock, Hammerhead, and Scorpion? I could get into that.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

McCloud posted:

Snyder's particular style does have its own fans, and by hiring someone who's style is the exact opposite and having him reshoot 90% and recomposite that into a frankensteins film just assured that no one would like it.

The idea was that Snyder's films would form the backbone of the DCEU in a self contained story, and could be used as a jumping off point for other films with their own tone and style. Aquaman and WW are proof of concept of that, and if WB hadn't so colossally hosed up JL they would have had a film about the flash, cyborg and GL out and they probably would have done well.

Personally I blame Geoff Johns

I'm sad that we didn't get an untainted pure Snyder film, which historically have been so well-received and popular that discussion of them has never been banned for long stretches in this thread or it's immediate predecessors.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Gonna wait til I hear it from Disney after the Maslany thing.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

IUG posted:

Does Spider-Man Far From Home not count because it contains Marvel fan-favorite character, Ned?

It had Fury and Hill, AND Box of Scraps guy.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Ralphie Parker did not shoot his eye out with a Red Ryder Carbine Action 200-shot Range Model air rifle for this level of disrespect.

Tony Stark built this in a cave. With a box of scraps! And it had a compass in the handle and this thing that tells time!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

It is at least a little amusing how a guy that more or less looks like this is now the focus of an arms race to see how much of a spike monster he can be forged into.

I mean, bring back his little hat already! Spikenwolf's head looks like a steering column.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Okay who can H Jon Benjamin play in Deadpool 3?

Weasel. gently caress TJ Miller.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Maybe they'll pull the other Leia trick. After all, Boseman was in four movies as T'Challa, there might be enough footage to just build around unused shots of him with some creative ADR and writing.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I think the thing the Lois rescue scene displayed to me was Superman's utter disregard for everyone but his girlfriend. After all, he shows up instantly when she was about to die, so he's clearly keeping tabs on her all the time with super-hearing. But he's cool with Jimmy Olson dying a few seconds earlier. No skin off his nose. Wait til Lois is threatened, you can get in another bite of sandwich.

Hell, you can take it a step further too. Jimmy is a friend and coworker of Lois, and Superman doesn't think for a second that watching him brutally die right in front of her isn't good for Lois' mental well being. Because he doesn't even care about Lois in that moment! He only cares about his access to Lois.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 29, 2020

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I will never get tired of people thinking that the only weakness a global cabal of satanists have is that they can't stop naming all their products after Satan. It's what stopped us all from filling our gas tanks with Mephistopheline and our bellies with Beelzeburgers, and we have twitter sleuths saying "Hey that name kinda looks like Satan!" to thank for our continued well being.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

If they were doing a mantle pass and not a recast, I feel like the fact that Shuri was briefly BP in the comics isn't that important, she's a very different character in the comics. Seems to me like Nakia is the one whose future arc was likely to be a lot more Panther-centric, she was a champion for her tribe, and even if T'Challa is dead she's still probably viewed as family by the Queen. Plus come on, Lupita Nyong'o!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Spider-Man 2 has the scene where MJ excoriates Peter for missing her play and he doesn't bother saying "well my scooter got hit by a speeding car full of gangsters. I spent most of the night dragging the parts of my only means of transportation home. I survived though so that's nice" choosing instead to look at his shoes and experience constipated pain.

"PS Also what the gently caress is up with your doorman? If you would have okay with me showing up bleeding and halfway through, well guess what I also tried that."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

TwoPair posted:

All this got me thinking about how much these movies kill their villains and out of all 23 current MCU films, the only villains that survive the movie they're introduced in are

• Abomination (might as well be dead seeing how much Marvel memory-holed Incredible Hulk)
  • Justin Hammer (Iron Man 2)*
  • Loki
  • Dormammu*
  • Vulture
  • Grandmaster* (Thor Ragnarok)
  • Yon-Rogg/the Kree in general

*And those guys were side villains, the movies always made sure to kill another villain!

edit: okay I guess no one died in Ant-Man and the Wasp but I can't even remember who the villain in that was really. Scott's probation officer?

Mordo is still kickin' around, along with Ayesha and the Sovereign. Also Batroc. Kidnapped and debriefed, but not killed. Also you got Vulture listed there, but that movie also had Tinkerer survive along with one good Shocker.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there any actor out there hot enough to do Namor justice on the big screen?

gently caress it cast Jason Momoa. About time we moved from friendly rivalry to open war.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

If they were planning on casting a little aged up for the FF I'd want Oded Fehr for Reed, he's got that gray going just right and everything.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The dude is 63. Assume four years til an X-Men movie and well, I guess the Marvel people have a lot of mileage with de-aging technology.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Vandar posted:

We have a perfect Colossus already. :colbert:

Cena is 43.

Oh I was talking about Lundgren. Cena I don't think fancasts well into anything, he's a square jawed beef wall so everyone sees superhero but the only facial expressions can even do are "Steely wrestler" and "Ooooh these kids sure are exasperating!"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The best part of Aquaman was the setup of a Splash pastiche where Mera doesn't understand the ways of these silly surface dwellers so she tries eating a rose, and then the movie dodges the Tom Hanks paternalistic exasperation by just having Arthur shrug and also try some roses.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

My favorite one of those excessive vaporware DC movies is the one that's a horror spinoff based entirely around the monsters from one scene in Aquaman, which is apparently unlikely to have Aquaman in it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

You could do Alien but on a boat with a couple of them sneaking on a cruise ship or something I guess but that's about the only way I can think of to go.

It's just amusing to me because of how cold that iron is now. By the time it would actually come out no one is gonna remember what the hell they are. People will just think it's a weird sequel to Underwater.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Plus it might have been dumb as hell but Aquaman was at least a fun ride.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I'm guessing he'll be training a Batgirl, maybe with a Red Hood villain.

Edit: oh I guess that's the rumor on Twitter too. O just figured it was easier to write in crossovers for Babs than Terry.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 5, 2021

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I like the vague idea that Wanda and Pietro were mutants all along and the Infinity Gem awakened it. I like the idea that The Snap or WandaVision causes a chain reaction that awakens mutants en masse. It makes sense (as much as comics do) and is a fun twist on Wanda's comic history.

I don't actually think anything's worth retconning to salvage besides Deadpool and X-Force. And you can play around with that stuff with dimension hopping and meta stuff. But like... Outside of Jackman, Lawrence, McAvoy, Stewart, and Fassbender is there anything we really want to hold onto? And like even if you could get those actors back you can always just wipe their slates clean or bring them in as a dimension jumpers or something. It just feels like it would be easier and more satisfying to start new for the most part.

I dunno. It still feels like so much is in flux and we're about to have a massive multiverse paradigm shift that opens up all kinds of possibilities.

I don't even want to keep any of the Professor and Magneto actors. I got plenty sick of every movie being about them and Mystique no matter how it started over the seemingly 34 X-Men movies that have happened already. I'd be fine with Professor X not even being in the first few MCU X-properties, and even happier to just never see Mystique again.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Guess he never saw the really good Cyborg episodes where he infiltrated HIVE and later founded Titans East and had that big Brother Blood fight, then.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Wild guess but I'm thinking one future MCU movie here might be Quantumania. We're getting Kang in that which could mean all sorts of timeline shenanigans. Could find out he did a lot in that timeline to prep for Thanos and see a weird timeline long enough to be cool and maybe set up Maestro for later.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

So Black Spectre or Bushman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Boxman posted:

Whatever is going on in Wandavision, it definitely has something to do with her kids, right? My guess might've been "she lost the children and went crazy, made a pocket universe where everything is perfect for the children." But "ladies be crazy am i rite" would be an absurdly bad look in 2021, and I can't believe it would actually make it to air, so who knows

More likely she's mentally creating them in whatever dimensions she's made herself. Vision is entirely mechanical and probably wasn't up to non-metaphysical insemination.