Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

It's a shame about Deadpool because I vehemently hate those movies but would like to see Wolverine and Mobius again.

Maybe someone will make a Dead lpool-less cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I just saw the new Spider-Verse. It was pretty drat good but not as good as the first one. Felt a bit less focused, and they didn't go for the same vibe with the soundtrack this time.

ENDING (VERY VAGUE) SPOILERS

The ending got the loudest audience reaction I have EVER heard. And I've been to many Marvel premières.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

We were leaving the Spider-verse movie like "who the gently caress would want to see a live action comic book movie after this?"

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Lord Hydronium posted:

Given that it's "Part 1", does it end on a cliffhanger?

Yes. It ends before the climax with just a cut to To Be Continued

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Sentinel Red posted:

A problem I feel Miles, Kamala and most new heroes have is that none of them have any really great/cool enemies to bounce off, it’s like no one bothers to come up with any decent bad guys anymore. Think how many iconic wrong ‘uns most Marvel heroes pre90s would have within 5 years and who have Miles or Kamala got? That chicken scientist schmuck?

This reminds me of the first Spider-Men crossover miniseries. There's a bit where their biggest villains come and attack Miles and Peter. Peter has the usual suspects while Miles has Prowler and.. Omega Red and Scorpion (actually just a gangster with a big chain who appeared in one issue).

Miles and Kamala are victims of their own success, once they got popular they just kept being shoved into every event front and centre and were in constant crossovers so they couldn't really have their own stories (but I haven't read either in years).

USM (esp. pré-ultimatum) is the best spiderman run, much of it because it had none of that. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Spider-Man Unlimited, who we see quite a bit in this movie, IS technically 90’s TAS Spidey. I assume that’s why we didn’t see both.

Just have another one be from another another dimension.

Also a severe lack if symbiotes in all of these spider men.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I went through the same poo poo with these multiversal movies as I did with comics many years ago. Super into it at first, thought it was cool and imagined more possibilities then got completely sick of it, wondering the hell when they'll be back to telling actual stories.

I quit comics because of the interconnected universe crap making it impossible to tell a coherent story over more than 5 issues, and I'm very much nearing that edge with mcu crap. Multiverse stuff is taking the interconnectedness up to 11.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

The trailer shows concerningly little of her. I didn't finish Wandavision so I don't know Monica Rambo or whatever and I saw Captain Marvel so the only one I care about is Ms. Marvel.

I'm sure they know what they have on their hands and there will be plenty of her though.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Good Scott Pilgrim movie thoughts. I loved the comics when they came out, and it was my favourite movie in highschool.

I've rewatch the movie a million times and have cooled on it somewhat (it's still a good movie but time, repetition and the Seinfeld effect are inevitable). I havent reread the books and it's a good time to do so, I imagine it reads very differently in your 30s than in highschool (yes you are old).

Fun note: in Hebrew the movie was retitled "My Girlfriend's Exes" which caused many a movie goers to abruptly depart the cinema when they realised it's not a cute romcom.
In modern home/streaming they pulled an Edge of Tomorrow and it's now called Scott Pilgrim:My Girlfriend's Exes.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Intermissions allow time to discuss the film before it ends thus tarnishing the only time I might form an original independent opinion about anything.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

It feels like a leftover from a time people gave a poo poo about the MCU and would eat up anything.

I guess it could still be successful if the show is actually, you know, good.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I just want niconico style shitposting scrolling across my screen while I watch DCEU movies, is that too much to ask?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

howe_sam posted:

Heimdall was able to call Bifrost to send Bruce back to earth with just the sword at the start of Infinity War.

He said something about Dark powers or something which I assumed had something to do with Thor 2: The Dark World, but of course it's impossible to know.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I wish we could get the data on the amount people putting "Marvel" as a hobby on dating app bios over time.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

None of my friends are really into watching it, so I'm now down to thinking if it's worth it to go alone (or with some D list friends) just for some Ms Marvel or it can wait for streaming. Reviews don't exactly fill me with confidence because it sounds like it's a capital M Marvel film.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I just feel bad for Iman. Now the question is, do I feel bad enough to go see it in a cinema alone rather than wait for D+?

Not sure. The impressions in the thread seems good but Captain Marvel was really boring and I don't know if i want to sit through that even for some Ms Marvel scenes. I'd like to live in the alternate universe someone mentioned where Ms marvel is instead in a spiderman movie.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Also a film straight up called "Young Avengers" isn't going to get butts in seats. It sounds like it's Tiny Toons or Lego Batman or something.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

If we're going that direction they can also just bump into Peter's father on the subway the day Peter was conceived thus making him one second late to bonetown and Peter-Sperm probably losing the sperm race.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I watched Scott Pilgrim in cinemas when it came out and it was one of my favourite films for a while. I was in my last year of highschool and I had read the books, so it was right up my alley. Back then actually good comicbook films were far and in-between so I had low expectations, even though I liked Edgar Wright. Sitting there in the cinema watching the opening scenes with my mouth agape like Knives looking at Sex Bob-Omb in the first scene of the film, it absolutely blew my mind.

After almost a dozen watches I can say it's definitely a good film, though great Cera is definitely the weakpoint of the cast but he's far from bad. The first act is near perfect but the second act kinda drags and fumbles the Envy storyline a bit, it's only saved by Mae and vegan jokes. The third act fails to act as a completely satisfying conclusion but it's not bad. I think the film also suffers from the Seinfeld Effect where many of the things that were novel and good that it did were quickly copied in other films and gotten old. Gags like "villain talks about mundane things" is extremely trite these days.

The anime was also decent and if nothing else, the first couple episodes made me have the same reaction I did to the film in highschool. If something can evoke teenage-level emotions in a man in their 30s and not via nostalgia it must be doing something right.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I really hate Ryan Reynolds' acting and his brand of humour, and especially the kind of humour in Deadpool. I can't really describe why but it's offensively bad for me. I haven't watched Deadpool 2 aside from some clips.

That said, I'll probably watch this because I'm a dumb Marvel bitch.

Hopefully someone makes a "& Wolverine" cut.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Wait they're doing another Mitchells vs. the Machines? That's cool, I didn't think the first one was very popular.

Also, a Karate Kid movie? When Cobra Kai exists? Just.. Why

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I know you love that spider, man.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Adding in a scene of Feige appearing in a thunderbolt like Thor in Infinity War to save the mcu.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Do you think every Israeli is also American?

Avoiding service is definitely not easy for most people in Israel and it's definitely not something most people even think of when they're 17 and literally everyone you've ever known did it.

Not defending Gadot, she's definitely being a useful idiot for Israel even now. She also seems to be just a dumb person in general so I'm not surprised.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I'd even settle for a Medium Jackedman.

I think I might have go watch that movie dubbed, because I can't stand Ryan Reynolds so maybe without his voice it'll be manageable.

Or better yet, maybe someone will make a cut of the movie that cuts out all the scenes with Deadpool, replacing it with intertitles explaining the action and removing the jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Seems way too young for Storm. In my head she's eternally about 40.