Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

especially when there's a clear "We're done, move on" statement from Warner.

They only want it to be done because all their lovely practices keep getting more and more exposed.

I’m glad Fisher’s keeping the pressure on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MCU Cap likes to watch.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Matt Damon’s Wonder Man.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol they’re including coffee from Jitters, the made up coffee house from the CW DC shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DffynfqqUD4

E: didn’t realize the burgers from Big Belly Burger too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-lC0QjIuWU

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 29, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

OldMemes posted:

If he has a thesis, he needs to make it clear and explain it in detail, all these implications are making him look a little toxic.

Uh, what

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That whole commentary was so drat good.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tim Burton’s Batman had .50 caliber machine guns mounted on both the batmobile and the batwing. Nolan’s Batman killed a temple full of ninjas.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

It’s pretty easy, you can just write people not dying. They do it in the comics all the time.

That’s the liberal fantasy that plays out in the MCU already.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

I understand Snyder has outright confirmed that it will be in his upcoming JL cut. It's certainly a Gay Dumbledore situation in the sense that nothing in either film he's appeared in remotely suggests it, but it's still supposed to have been the plan all along or whatever.

It’s in his storyboards, those tend to be done before shooting a movie starts, unless you think storyboards work in a different way.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Fangz posted:

I was not prepared for the "actually, the point of 300 is that it's dumb to resist the Persians!!!" take.

Mods doing a good job of cutting down the snide remarks in this thread, thanks guys

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 6, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Superman just ripped that guy’s head off!

“Yeah but at least he was smiling while he did it.”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Please stop arguing about how the bad reductive take was justified and just take the L.

Wait, so people in this thread really think Killmonger shooting his girlfriend was a good and/or necessary action? Or his torching the ancient garden they use to communicate with their Wakandan ancestors? Why are you guys reducting his literal actions in the movie?

E: it’s even weirder because this thread applauds the movie’s reductive history with the CIA and the BPP.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 20, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Zack Snyder’s Terror Inc.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Disney asks him to do Conan thus a marvel movie.

Just as long as he brings back Momoa.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I remember somewhere someone was defending the use of "v." instead of "vs." saying it was actually the correct abbreviation.

"Dawn of Justice" just comes off as pretentious though. It's as bad as "Age of Ultron". Ultron only existed for like, what, a week? Hell of an "Age".

The Age of Ultron is actually referring to Tony’s vindication and actions influencing the ideology of his acolytes who will enforce his technological autocracy on a post-post-snap world.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

From Hell had a main protagonist that straight up didn’t exist in the books.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Soonmot posted:

Imagine Cavil actually getting a chance to use his charisma

I know I'd be all smiles and quips while trying to avenge the death of my family members.

lol he's going to tell Thor to save Fartha.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My friends, the movie you’ve all been waiting for is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ezfi6FQ8Ds

Got pretty excited when I spotted the Erik Larsen easter egg in the police station until I realized they spelled his name “Larson” :geno:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Zzulu posted:

protecting are freedoms, you communist

Just ignore literally teaming up with war criminals and ushering in new, state sponsored atrocities, for the sake of moral clarity.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

In The Suicide Squad, I know Starro the Conqueror, but were those brightly colored jellyfish creatures that attacked King Shark a nod to any specific comics characters/fauna?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Cena is so good here, he stole the show. Fantastic cast all around and even though it was guess Boomerang's death bummed me out.

It’s kinda funny that Peacemaker is pretty much Fascist Captain America and how comfortably he fits into real world US-foreign policy.

Also, the child murderer survived.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought Pete Davidson’s character was named Blackheart so when Flagg said “Blackheart sold us out!” I was like, “a guy named BLACKHEART sold you out? No way!” Then I read his name was Blackguard which made it less ironic, and speaking of, what exactly was his plan after contacting the Corte Maltese army? He still had the bomb in his head, as soon as it was revealed he was the traitor I thought his head would’ve exploded via Waller instead of a random bullet.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Phylodox posted:

The Suicide Squad is a good movie because Sebastian survived.

While it was cool to see Sebastian leading the rats up Starro’s arms, it would’ve been a better character moment for him to stay with Bloodsport and comfort him while he was being swarmed with rats.

Anyone else get shades of the first arc of the Keith Giffen/Paco Medina helmed Suicide Squad from the early 00s? invading an island nation only for the team to get completely wiped out leaving only a survivor or two (and swapping out Killer Frost with Harley and Deadshot with Bloodsport).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Does anyone know where the John Ostrander cameo is in the movie?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I caught the Lloyd Kaufman cameo too, it's awesome Gunn still sneaks him into his movies.

Man, I'm really in the mood to read Giffen's 2000 run on Suicide Squad, but my single issues aren't in the same state as I am. :(

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I liked the flashback showing a young Thinker with only a couple of doodads sticking out of his head.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m surprised Erik Larsen didn’t get a shout in the credits. He drew the Doom Patrol/Suicide Squad crossover, which James Gunn has said was an inspiration to his script (it starts with a failed assault, features the Weasel and the Thinker, and has a building collapse which looks to have visually inspired the Jotunheim design/demolition), on top of that, King Shark was created by Karl Kesel in 94, but prior to that Kesel was writing Erik Larsen’s Freak Force which featured Mako, a burly shark-man created in Larsen’s youth and predating King Shark by decades.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Please do not conflate humanity with standard US foreign policy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That’s why the movie needed loving Jarro.

Someone on Twitter pointed out a Toxic Avenger cameo, it’s playing on a tv in the bg while Bloodsport’s in prison.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Bloodsport’s whole motivation makes more sense when you realize that it was originally supposed to be Deadshot from the first movie

the bts footage shows Deathstroke in place of Bloodsport in the pre-production art and storyboards, not Deadshot.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

The reports have always said Elba was at one point meant to take over as Deadshot. Then they thought there's still a chance Smith comes back in the future so they changed his role.

That may have been before storyboarding.

That makes no sense. Why would you cast Elba as a replacement Deadshot, get rid of both for the storyboards with Deathstroke, and then go back to Elba and recast him as Bloodsport?

I think a lot of people saw the casting announcement of Elba and jumped to conclusions.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

No, it's from Variety.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/suicide-squad-sequel-idris-elba-new-character-1203181518/

It's possible Elba was Deathstroke first before being changed to Bloodsport.

That article corraborates with what I said. Early reports assumed Elba’s casting was a recast of Smith’s Deadshot, the article you linked is Gunn telling them their “early reports” were wrong.

E: I wonder what the timeline is for Deathstroke showing up in early storyboards, being removed, and ultimately showing back up in the JL Snyder Cut.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 11, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Probably because the paragraph before it literally says what I wrote?

quote:

Though it was previously reported that Elba would be replacing Will Smith as Deadshot in the new pic, sources now tell Variety that all parties including director James Gunn have decided to move on from the Deadshot character, with Elba playing a new character in “The Suicide Squad.”

Link the previous report and I’m sure you’ll find their “sources” were “I made it up.”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I literally said early reports were wrong and Gunn had to clarify. How is that not said in the article?

Again, link the “early reports” article they’re citing and then cite their “sources” if there are any.

Not that it matters. This will persist along with the “it’s a reboot” because people love memes more than movies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, that’s unfair on my part, I didn’t think about the privacy needed to protect journalist sources, and I’m sure this whole topic was purposefully obfuscated by Warner bros execs so they can dismantle and rebuild the DCU again.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just realized there's two influenced Erik Larsen characters in this movie. I already mentioned King Shark was inspired by Larsen's Mako, but the Weasel's redesign comes from the Doom Patrol/Suicide Squad special which Erik Larsen drew, and his redesign of the Weasel was influenced by an earlier character he created and debuted in Graphic Fantasy, The Shrew, who would go on to appear in the first issue of the Savage Dragon regular series.

they even used the same Larsen drawing in the Suicide Squad roll call teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8tWKJwyG6Y

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 11, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

This is extremely unlikely. There has been as far as I am aware no actual decrease in interest in Chinese-inspired media and if anything it has been on the rise. And that's specifically Chinese, just lol if you think people suddenly hate the land of anime and nintendo.

That isn't to say that there hasn't been a real nasty targeted attack upon Asians in general but like so many other things in our lovely country people are willing to enjoy martial arts movies while being virulently racist towards the main star outside of that.

I was gonna say, if anything, dumbasses on the right are going to spout after the next assault on Asian Americans “how can the USA be racist? Shang Chi made a billion dollars!”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was really hoping that scene would repeat in the new one if only to get Steve Agee out of the DCU (I usually like the guy but he was pretty awful in this, and I already know he’s supposed to be in the Peacemaker show. I’m not looking forward to it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought he was going to send his arms on a stealth mission to turn off the flood lights, not try to pull a three stooges routine.