Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Wow, what a terrible time for THE black superhero to pass away. Obviously the man was insanely talented and had so many great performances outside of Marvel movies, but the cultural impact of Black Panther just can't be ignored. I didn't even realize it till just now that, that's the last movie my Grandma saw in theaters before she passed and probably the only comic book movie she's ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Personally, I'd rather see Shuri take up the mantle than have him be recast.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Just started the movie and all I can think is why the hell did they set this movie in 1984 if they can't even be bothered to give Wonder Woman a huge over the top 80's hairstyle? What a waste.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
What the hell is Max Lord's plan? Like none of this poo poo makes any sense.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Patrick Spens posted:

My friend's and I were convinced that Steve was puppeting some guy's fresh corpse, but apparently the real owner of that body was alive and well, which is like, way more disturbing

He became a living wishing stone that meant he could grant people's wishes and take something of their's in return. His plan was to take things that would make his business sucessful from people as he granted their wishes, but as the consequences of everything he was doing built up he began to panic and kept digging himself in deeper, like he was running some sort of ponzi scheme or something.

I posted that in the middle of the movie, and it took way too long for me to figure it out. Partly cause the movie takes a long time to tell the audience what the rules are.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Ignore me

JT Smiley fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 27, 2020

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

site posted:

I think there's supposed to be a hint of because he became the wishing stone he also became increasingly compelled to grant wishes although it's never explicitly said

I think the thing that bugs me the most is that's such a dumb wish that it should have transformed him into a horrible rock monster and this movie was too cowardly to give it to us.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I've seen so many bad superhero movies so I'm shocked this one found strange new ways to be terrible. Like the entire Steve plot is so gross and weird and at no point are the heroes even at all bothered by it.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Digital Jedi posted:

Captain Marvel felt like it was in the 90s rather than WW having a 80s theme. With CM you had Blockbuster, payphone, beeper, the slow computer. These were things that were interacted with and help build that sense it was the 90s. (Music and dress also played a big role). WW was just a movie with a 80s theme. Beyond the decor of Steve's room, his outfit sequence and the jazzercise what else was really 80s?

Should note I grew up in the later 90s so I no nothing of the 80s really.

I don't think there's was a single scene where Diana l didn't look like she was could be in 2020. Her hair, her make up, and get outfits all could be seen on someone today and you wouldn't blink an eye.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I can't believe after all the complaints the first movie got about the CGI Ares fight they managed to make a worse CGI fight with Cheetah.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

DynamicSloth posted:

WW84's unforgivable sin is making a 2 and a half hour action movie, that only has 3 poorly staged action sequences.
Diana's not all that competent a superhero or a feminist, she let the attempted rapist off with a concussion, facing no other consequence he's pretty much ready to pick up right where he left off a few days later. Weird that the movie doesn't want me to empathize with Babs being fed up with the chronic maybe-rapist on her route to work.

At the very least she could have waked her friend home and offer emotional support after a that.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Fangz posted:

Do we really need to rehash this argument again?

This is an evergreen post.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Name another forgettably lovely movie that we've had to hear about every goddamn week for four years after, I beseech yoU

There was one that came out 8 years ago that people will pop out of the woodwork to argue about to this day.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The last two seasons of Buffy would be infinitely better if they just replaced her with Blade after she died.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'll admit really liking Xander as teen, but rewatching Buffy at almost 40 showed me what an absolute piece of poo poo that character was. There's multiple instances where he straight up sexually harasses Buffy and it's played for laughs and no one ever calls him out on it.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Dawgstar posted:

One is amazed Joss didn't try to bone the script paper right then and there.

This is like a textbook example of what you're told not to do in a screenplay.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Vince MechMahon posted:

It really is just Fullmetal Alchemist in a lot of ways.

Come again?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Vince MechMahon posted:

I somehow mixed up Trigun and FA in my head.

Oh ok, that makes a lot more sense.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Ok, that was a parody trailer right?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Mal-3 posted:

The very fact that the whole movie grinds to a complete loving halt for like two, two and a half minutes so the sleazy-looking boyfriend character can explain to Mark Wahlberg why it's totes okay for him to bang Wahlberg's teenaged daughter is - bar none - the single most baffling cinematic decision of the 2010s. I do not understand how anybody from script to final cut thought this scene was a good idea and allowed it to make it to the release.

The question I have is why not just make the guy a slightly older guy that attends her school instead of a grown rear end man trying to bang a teenager. Or better yet just drop they sub plot entirely.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Lurdiak posted:

It breaks my heart that they weren't even allowed to hit robots starting with season 3.

I'm guessing this is around the time Mikey's weapon of choice became a grappling hook.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm enjoying these goofy mortal kombat "movies"

I'm someone who doesn't like fighting games and I played the last three games just for the story alone. Y'all talking about it kind of makes me want to go back and re watch the cutscenes.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

AccountSupervisor posted:

I wonder why the discourse around this topic is such a nightmare and people get really defensive.

Sorry we have different tastes and life goals but I sincerely hope your dreams arent ever met with such childish and aggressive vitriol. Good poop joke I guess?

Have a good one BSS Movie Thread, I remember now why I only lurk here. My opinions arent welcome.

Thanks for the MK "movie" links though, quite fun so far!

People not liking the media you like isn't a personal attack. I like Rick and Morty, but I don't get offended when people make fun of the crazy elements of the fanbase.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

site posted:

lmao holy poo poo that jax arcade ending

on the flip side: goddamn that jaqcui ending

This might be a shock to you, but there was a section of the fanbase that was offended by Jax's ending. I'll let you guess why.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

The ice skating line gets all the love but I feel the delivery in this clip is underrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o64y4ow5y_8

This was the first time I'd ever seen someone besides my Mom or Grandma Code Switch.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Mortal Kombat brought peace to a thread on the break of destruction. That being said Sonya's MK 9 costume is beyond terrible, even compared to the other terrible costumes the women have in this game.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Every woman in this game looks like they must be in incredible pain at all times.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I know it's been seven years, but I swear that when Thor 2 opened people in the previous version of this thread were going crazy for it. I just remember post after post on opening weekend praising the film.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Jacked Foster

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Vince MechMahon posted:

I was talking about just the defaults, but thank you for reminding me that even after grinding for literal months I never got the Harley Quinn hat to match the rest of the outfit I was trying to build. I hate that system so much in both games.

I miss the days when video games gave you access to all costume options from the get go.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, whenever that get brought up I wrack my brains trying to think what people are Mandela-ing to remember that being a thing. Even poo poo like the PS1 Spider-Man you had to put in cheat codes or find collectibles to unlock them.

I was mistakenly thinking of games where you create you your character's costume.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm still trying to figure out how the movie leaking to the streaming service it's debuting on would hurt it?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I was just scrolling through my timeline and encountered a conspiracy theory that one of the top level executives at WB leaked the footage because the Snyder Cut being successful would be an embarrassment to him. Like this person wrote an entire essay on it.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
As a man that's had complete strangers make snap judgements of me based on the color of my skin I'm well aware of the dangers of judging someone by their looks. That being said Whedon totally looks like he did that poo poo he's was accused of.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Davros1 posted:

There was a Tom and Jerry movie from 1993, where T & J talk and try to help a young girl reunite with her dad. The film tried to make them cute and cuddly.

Siskel & Ebert were not impressed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WEQlGwcOLg

"They're not cute! They're in a battle to the death!"

Saw that in the theaters when I was ten and the only thing I remember about it was wishing I was doing anything else.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The only human that bugged me in KOM was that old guy that kept making dad jokes. Even then I'd take him over the boring lead of the 2014 movie.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Getting my shot Friday and I'm gonna go see it in the theater just so I can quit thinking "goddamn, my last theater movie was Rise of Skywalker"

Now that you mention it, I can't even remember the last movie I saw in theaters. Maybe Knives Out?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He understands Superman quite clearly. The idea that he "didn't want" to make a Superman movie is completely loving ridiculous. He's a huge Superman fan.

They said rather make not didn't want to.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Shageletic posted:

Lol I never watched this movie holy poo poo what is this

Dark Knight Rises is really really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

The United States posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6tXQyVLmHo&t=121s
Those dudes are toast and it counts for at least half, like Bale using the Train on Ra's

This seems like they would have crashed and died no matter what Batman did.