Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
He was enormously talented and it hurts to think of the career he had ahead of him. He turned the Black Panther into a role model for so many kids and young adults I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Hey, welcome aboard Cartridgeblowers as the new thread IK!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

If somebody leaked their own nudes by mistake but still didn't want their nudes to be out there, I mean, let's not talk about it here other than you know, "hey, it happened."

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I love Kang and I think Majors is a spectacular choice. Oh man, I'm so stoked now.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I want him to go on a road trip with Dr. Doom in the movies too. Just do My Own Private Latveria come on Marvel don't be cowards.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I hope they have potent sexual chemistry so that their shipping name can be Klang.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

site posted:

Lol yeah that's probably it huh

Yeah, every parent of young kids I know gets a lot of mileage out of it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Yeah, abuse stuff goes in the other thread for the most part, but like-- stuff like the Flash actor's lovely behavior, that have specific bearing on a different medium, are also ok to talk about in the TV or Movie threads or wherever. I think if more comes out the Industry Terribleness thread would be the place for it though.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Peter is a scrawny science nerd, not a skateboarding weirdo with a 200 dollar haircut.

I mean, anybody who is going to be playing Spider-Man in a Hollywood movie is going to have a nice haircut. They aren't going to contract Supercuts to come out and give everybody on set a $15 special or whatever.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

But enough about BSS.

Excuse me, BSS is like a velvet box full of angels and sugar.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I'm the dead tree the box was made out of

Rhyno in this metaphor you're a sweet little bonbon and you know it!

Conrad_Birdie posted:

It is truly wild to me to see so many people bagging on movie theaters in this thread! Honestly makes me kinda sad! There is nothing like watching a good movie in a good movie theater, and you will 100% get so much more from a film if you’re watching it on the big screen and not laying on your couch in your living room. Like, wtf? Never going to see a movie in theaters again would be crushing to me.

Yeah, I agree. Maybe there are elements of big chain theaters that I won't miss but so many of my best memories involve movie theaters and the interplay between movies as a medium and theaters as a kind of space. I used to live in a little town with not much to do, with a great one-screen indie theater. I used to go to the matinee every day after work just for something to do, I got such an education in art-house cinema. It was actually the movie theater that was used for the scene in The Blob where everybody is running out in terror, so every Summer they had a "Blob-fest" to commemorate it (it was that small of a town) and I really fondly remember being caught off-guard one year on a date when we exited into the lobby and were met by a dozen or so entrants into the Steve McQueen look-alike contest. Later on I volunteered there a bunch and I learned so, so much about this and that.

I loved that place to the max and I'm happy to discover just now that it's still doing well and has expanded a little and is doing a bunch of virtual screenings and things. I love movie theaters.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

When the Fatal Five showed up in Bunheads to ruin the big recital I feel like most fans just rolled with it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I think it first came up on Bill Mantlo's run as part of a kind of murky and imperfectly documented bit of potential swiping from Barry Windsor Smith, then it became a very prominent part of the middle section of PAD's run. It also comes up very, very frequently in Immortal Hulk. I think that Paul Jenkins also dealt with it quite a bit but I might be misremembering.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

It also made Alan Moore blow up and basically quit writing, so it killed more than one career.

What? It didn't even get him to quit writing League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Cinema Purgatoria was ongoing as of last year, Providence wrapped up in 2017, The Tempest in 2019, Jerusalem came out in 2016... he's been steadily productive if extremely selective.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I guess YMMV and I definitely think some of the worst writing of his career has been in the past 15 years, I think Tom Strong and Promethea both ended on high notes.

I also like the Nemo Trilogy and The Tempest but I don't know if they're good per se. I also like 1910 because I like Brecht stuff.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

His armor looks like how getting spinach stuck between my teeth feels.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

The people praising the Steppenwolf design have the same feeling as a pro Trump twitter bot.

Knock it off. Dunk on the design if you want but if you're going to say stuff like this you can say it somewhere else.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

I'm watching my father throw this playboy mags off the Bannister. They tumble in the air.

I am sitting at the computer for the first time as a teenager.

I am submitting my final shitpost on the eve of 2065.

I lol.

Mods make a note to perma FilthyImp on January 1st, 2066.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

If he goes out killing the literal embodiment of evil and totalitarian control it might make up for it.

Some real metal-as-gently caress van-art poo poo where man defies god.

Lol if I get perma'd when I'm 83 it'll likely kill me. What a way to go.

All those posts will be lost in time, like mangosteen in rain. Time to die.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

A few years ago I decided to watch every Nicolas Cage movie on a whim. I didn't finish but I did get to The Croods and I thought it was pretty ok. I don't watch many cartoons or that kind of CGI family comedy but I thought it was decently charming. I would not watch The Croods 2 in a $150 death crypt but I would probably watch it on TBS for free by myself.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I GOTS TA KNOW: What were your favorites and least-favorites? Despite his uneven career, he might be my overall favorite actor, with at least a dozen timeless classics to his name.

I needed a minute to think about this because no matter what I think my answer will be boring. Most of the really, really good Cage movies aren't hidden gems or anything, they're the ones everybody likes. And he is in so many bad and/or boring ones.

I think my favorite performance of his is a tie between Vampire's Kiss and Raising Arizona. Honorable mention Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans. think my favorite movie that he's in are Moonstruck or Wild at Heart or I guess I do really like Raising Arizona. Red Rock West is pretty under-rated actually. I think more people should see that one.

As for bad ones Fire Birds is really bad. He's in like a million dumb things a year these days but there are some grody selections from his earlier career too-- Zandalee is absolutely nothing at all aside from the grim shadow of foreboding that one feels watching it and fearing that Cage and Judge Reinholdt are at all times about two feet of personal space away from igniting a threesome. In G-Force he is a nerd and a star-nosed mole so there's that I guess. The two Ghost Rider movies are also like--- very very difficult to be generous about. I guess the worst of the worst was probably the 2014 Left Behind, maybe Army of One.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I think it's kind of wild that there hasn't been a big superhero musical yet. I think the time is ripe. I think a huge, bombastic, sunny Squirrel Girl musical would be the bee's knees.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I've never seen much of The Brave and the Bold but it looks very charming! I also think I deliberately forgot about Turn Off the Dark.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Madkal posted:

Holy Musical B@man is near perfect and all available on YouTube

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL96B8289ADF77A8C4

I forgot about this one too! I remember whenever I read a broody Batman comic I used to think of the line "poor Master Bruce/ poor Mr. Wayne/ lonely caboose/ on a one car train."

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I would have loved to see Joss Whedon write and direct an MCU musical. The Buffy musical episode, "Once More With Feeling," is maybe my favorite hour of television of all time, even though I've generally cooled on my former Whedon fanboyism in recent years. If anyone could have knocked it out of the park, it's him.

The Flash/Supergirl musical was so disappointing for me, especially with all the talented theater actors on all the Arrowverse shows. I would have greatly preferred original songs, rather than cornball stuff like "Put a Little Love in Your Heart." What a wasted opportunity. It was also an ideal chance to introduce Power Girl to the Arrowverse and have Rachel Bloom play her. She even contributed a song, but she could have been a perfect Power Girl.

The actors who played Peter Parker (Reeve Carney) and Green Goblin (Patrick Page) in Turn Off the Dark on Broadway went on to bigger things: lead roles as Orpheus and Hades in Hadestown, which looks fantastic and has some really great songs. I'm still pissed at myself for not scoring tickets when I took my wife to New York for our tenth anniversary in 2019. We saw Hamilton, which was legendary, but for the second show, neither of us had heard of Hadestown yet, so we saw Chicago instead. Bad choice, and I even like Chicago a lot.

That Blue Beetle episode of Brave and the Bold reduces me to tears. I haven't seen nearly enough episodes, but it's my favorite portrayal of Aquaman as well, and I still hum "Gray and Blue," the Marty Robbins-inspired song the Golden Age Vigilante sang during a badass cold open. (There's a character I'd love to see revived -- a motorcycle-riding singing cowboy actor hero, perfect for a neo-noir/Western/musical/superhero extravaganza.)

Hadestown took awhile to grow on me but you should check it out, even if you have to settle for a shaky youtube camrip or whatever. Also, yes, Rachel Bloom would be a fantastic Power Girl and probably a really really good Jen Walters as well.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Let's all step back and discuss how and when Batman might say "gently caress" in his upcoming movie. My idea is that right before the movie begins he should turn to face the screen and say "Hey everybody, hope you've got your frosty Coca Cola, hope you've got your fuckin' sourpatch kids, hope you're all set up with some popcorn, maybe some chips, you're sitting next to your sweetie, got a nice cozy blanket on, alright, it's movie time, let's do this!!"

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Kenneth Choi's character in Homecoming was apparently the grandson of his character in the first Captain America. Alfre Woodard, who despite what the script gave her was I think really solid as Black Maria, was also briefly in Civil War-- she was the woman who castigates Tony Stark for the death of her son. This was a pretty fun post to research, plus, I just looked out the window and saw a seagull. A seagull! In West Philly! How wonderful.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So based on recent events will we be seeing reports of THE GULL, AVENGER OF WEST PHILLY hit newspapers soon?

I'm ok with swooping in and out of nowhere to steal french fries from the unjust and just loving screaming at nothing for hours at a time, will have to sort of build up to making GBS threads on people from on high but if that's what it takes that's what it takes.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

So Seagulls often eat bread and ants and the combination of yeast and acid in their stomach turns to booze. Which is why they are so belligerent all the time.

Do you think that you can get tanked up all the time? For method acting purposes of course.

I'm in recovery so no but I'd happily compromise with just eating ants and being belligerent at all times. It'll be a tough adjustment-- just like flying around making GBS threads on people-- but you know, I'm sure young Bruce Wayne had plans that didn't pan out either.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I forgot what an incredible shot Lahey draining that entire bottle while walking backwards towards his car is. drat.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Roth posted:

As a lesbian that Joss Whedon would describe as "thirsty" to my widowed wife, I think if queer readings of film and the people that do them seriously in academia are going to be insulted because a gay dude on SA felt open to a movie having both a queer and a regressive reading, then I would probably laugh and think they need to take their stick out of their rear end.

I'll laugh even harder at the guy pointlessly being a dick to everybody over it in the Something Awful BSS Movie Thread: RIP Chadwick Boseman. Not to mod voice in a section I don't mod, but chill out. It ain't a big deal.

My condolences to your wife. Also yeah, everybody chill. Have some eggnog and think about something else for awhile.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I'm going to go see this at a drive-through tomorrow just for an excuse to get out in a safe way, but I guess I'll bring the ol' Switch along because oof this sounds like a trial.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I'm in there too but against my will. It's a Monkeybone type scenario and I'm begging somebody to free me.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 4, 2021

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Madkal posted:

Venom is a perfect background movie where you really don't have to care what is going on. It had a few good scenes and watching Hardy talk to himself/Venom as some kind of odd couple was probably the highlight. Also Venom acknowledging that he is just a loser dealing with toxic masculinity was great.

Hopefully in Venom 3 we can see him deal with... Toxin masculinity.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

In an early example of continuity fill-ins, Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos #3 features a young Reed Richards going along on a mission.

This was three months before FF #21 which brings Fury firmly into the Silver Age "present day."

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

So did Alexei have the super soldier serum or what, and if so I wonder what him running around means in the wake of the Sam/Bucky show. He seemed pretty famous, considering he had fan-mail and an action figure and all. I wonder if he's on Zemo's radar or what.

Edit: Oh, yeah. I went and saw it, and my strongest opinion is that it was really nice to be in a dark theater eating popcorn again. The movie itself was... fine? It seemed weirdly diluted, like it wanted to pull in various different directions but kept getting yanked back to a stable if somewhat unexciting middle-ground. It felt a bit too beholden to Marvel continuity to really be an excellent spy thriller, and a bit too muted to really make the most of being part of this wild superhero universe, a little too jokey and glib to be a serious The Americans-esque investigation of gender and violence and a little too serious about gender and violence to be a jokey and glib Bond-esque farce. The bad guys were all kind of nonentities which I didn't mind much-- the core cast was good and I liked their dynamics. It was a nice pretext for an evening out, although my wife hated it more than I've seen her hate a movie in a long time.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 13, 2021

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Any particular reason? My partner had a fun night out but didn't express any happy grrl power feelings like she did for Birds of Prey. She's been way more into Loki and she was never really a Loki stan so I wonder if it's a quality thing or if we've all just moved on from grounded stories and are only satisfied with outright insanity from our Marvel productions.

She thought a lot of the more allegorical stuff fell flat. Like, I think it's fair to read the movie as a pretty straightforward allegory about women and agency in action narratives-- as mentioned, the main bad guy is straight up just a sleazy, literally "untouchable" executive-type, and you have the whole thing about girls being sucked up and force-fed through a process that takes their free will away and turns them into sexualized tools for evil, brutish men. She just thought it was done poorly, and even in a tacky way. I wasn't paying super close attention to the montage over the Nirvana cover but she said there were little flashes of human trafficking imagery that she just thought were a tasteless fit for what is ultimately a dumb goofy movie about a lady who is acquaintances with a talking raccoon from space, and that everything it had to say about rape culture and exploitation was trivial.

There were also some plot holes she mentioned but I don't remember what they were, she was also more annoyed about the changes to Taskmaster than I was (I think Taskmaster was fine, definitely not as unique a concept as the comics version but I don't think he'd fit tonally into a movie like this).

It's interesting that you bring up Loki because my wife did love Loki. I don't want to put words in her mouth too much but maybe your thing about a shift in what kinds of stories people are excited about in the MCU is part of it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

It's not really small flashes, Natasha and Yelena are transported in shipping crates with a bunch of other girls. It's the full text.

I know that part but she said there were flashes of documentary footage and real photos during the montage, which again, I didn't like the song so I spent part of that time grappling with my box of sour patch kids.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I am very very picky about action movies and in general the more gunfire there is the less I like it outside of a few little genre slivers. I'm a huge wimp. So-- this was going to be an uphill battle for me to begin with, and I think I would have been pretty bored with it in the theater. But as something to watch at home with dinner, I didn't think it was awful-- it was definitely very much a James Gunn movie moreso than either GotG, which is a good thing and a bad thing. I really liked Ratcatcher, I love that archetype of the one idealistic character in a very cynical story getting a chance to be proven right, I loved the bit about gambling on love when she was making friends with King Shark, I loved the rats, I loved all of that. Elba and Cena were ok on their own but really shone when they got a chance to play off of each other, which thankfully was pretty frequently. And of course Peter Capaldi did a whole lot with fairly little, as is his wont I guess.

I think Robbie is also still very clearly having a lot of fun with her role and putting a ton of nuance into it, but Harley's stuff felt a little superfluous, and I think with very little shuffling the story could have been told just as well without her. Still-- she really owns this character and breathes a ton of life into even fairly limp scenes. I was very into her big solo action set piece, the choreography of her javelin fighting sequence, all the stuff with the flowering wounds was lovely.

It's weird. When I finished the movie the bits that stuck with me were all good bits, bits that I liked, but I still felt kind of overwhelmed, like the whole thing was less than the sum of its parts. I think that for all the bombastic soundtrack cues and stylized gore and lovingly over the top set-pieces the whole project felt curiously... subdued? Like the tonal volume of the entire thing was just slightly miscalibrated, a bit too leisurely when it needed to pick up the pace and a bit too rushed when it should have taken a second to breathe.

I think I'd categorize it with a few other superhero movies as "Probably a good movie, just not a movie I was destined to really vibe with," adjacent to the handful of "probably not a very good movie, but kind of my poo poo."

That being said, yeah, miles better than the original Suicide Squad, which I found borderline unwatchable. I think if I had to rank our existing trifecta of Harley Quinn-centric movies I'd definitely put it in between that and Birds of Prey, which I rewatched last week and still find really lovely and sharp. And funny-- the weird thing about The Suicide Squad, and maybe seeing it with a crowd would have helped, is how many beats that felt like big laugh moments just fell flat. Like I saw the joke, processed it, even, maybe, appreciated it as funny, but it just didn't land all the way. There were some really great, funny moments in this movie, but a lot more that sort of... respectably bombed? Every instance of the Polka Dot Man's mom schtick was just kind of not working for me.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I'm here to apologize on behalf of all women everywhere for the unearned and invidious success of 6"2 men, which as you've ascertained was in fact a big "gently caress you" to everyone else. Please report to the nearest women's auxiliary office to pick up your free coupon for 15% off at Coldstone Creamery and "short king" beanie, we'll put a little footstool at the counter so you can ring the bell and Kathy will get you all set up.