Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
This is a thread to post your cooking pictures, breakfast lunch dinner, or snacks. We all like to cook right?

I made a pizza. I think it's the second one I've ever made.
1) Cream cheese and moz base. I put lots of eggs in it, maybe 5.

2) I got a whole lot of drumsticks. It was like 0.99 cents a pound! So of course I got about 10 pounds. Gotta use them.

3) Coconut Baking Powder is my favorite because I like coconuts. It's really that simple

4) Mixing and seasoning, the dough is good and moist

5) That looks so good, like a big coconut pancake. It has turmeric garlic and ginger, the holy trio of spice.

6) I didn't realize my iron was rusty, I just figured it was okay. But I'll buy another one soon

7) Those mixed jarred pickles you get from the Indian Grocery, very good and it's red like sauce is supposed to look. Spicy.

8) All the toppings. I tried to go lighter because my last attempt, the coconut crust is not as sturdy to handle pounds and pounds of toppings.

9) It still fell apart but the crust was more clumpy so I had bite sized pizza pieces. I loved it

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
This is a really good snack, just a snack.

You can buy huge portabella mushrooms with cheese and a little greenery already on it.

Make it better, add your choice of cream (sour, creamcheese, or even yogurt), avocado or guac.. You probably want some salt on that.

Some lunch meat on top to hold on to. I even like a bit of canned clam for a bit of fish.

I don't usually buy portabella mushrooms but they practically hamburger buns of fungus. Very filling snack, takes awhile to digest so you'll be full for awhile.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Smart thinking. I've never considered portabellos as a snack before but I'll keep an eye out now.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

That looks like a pretty high-calorie snack.

Portabellos make for some fantastic burgers. Take that first photo you took of them, forget you ever did the other two photos, and stick it on a toasted brioche bun with a condiment of your choice (not ketchup). I like em with a little bit of Worcestershire mayo.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

excellent bird guy posted:

This is a really good snack, just a snack.

You can buy huge portabella mushrooms with cheese and a little greenery already on it.

Make it better, add your choice of cream (sour, creamcheese, or even yogurt), avocado or guac.. You probably want some salt on that.

Some lunch meat on top to hold on to. I even like a bit of canned clam for a bit of fish.

I don't usually buy portabella mushrooms but they practically hamburger buns of fungus. Very filling snack, takes awhile to digest so you'll be full for awhile.

did you... not cook the mushrooms?

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

did you... not cook the mushrooms?

suddenly a food horror thread

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
Someone said it in the other thread, bird, but you don't need to buy a new cast iron pan. Just scrub the one you've got with some baking soda and/or a chain mail scrubber and maybe e:reason re-season it if it needs it.

fart store fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 30, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Thanks I will clean the rust out with those instructions. I cooked those mushrooms 60 seconds in the microwave

Ok I regret my 4AM first meal of the day, but I was really hungry and don't have my skillet back from my old house. Just a burner and a pot.

I don't know if they were cooked or not, I thought they were raw thus

I put them in boiling water with egg noodles, salt and pepper

That was fine but I was still hungry so

I boiled just a small piece of a chuck roast. I don't recommend it. Lets just say Im not hungy anymore. However I might make rice in that water sometime so I will keep it.

Also keep in mind all I literally had was a roast, those pork patties, a burner, salt pepper and a pot. There's nothing open and I couldn't wait 2 more hours for the stores to open.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 30, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I'm legit curious, what is your kitchen setup like? Because it seems like you literally never have food on hand besides like three things that together do not a dinner make.

Do you have a pantry, or even a cupboard that you can store ingredients for meals more than like... a few hours out? What's your stove/oven/fridge situation look like? Because that microwave of yours seems to get a lot of mileage.

What about utensils? We know about the cast iron pan, what else you got?

Edit: also, like I don't need to know what you do for a living or anything like that, but it seems like you either have very unusual sleep habits or you work a job that requires you to sleep at odd hours, and from a few of your posts I gather that this interferes with your ability to grocery shop. Is that so?

Drone fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 30, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Drone posted:

I'm legit curious, what is your kitchen setup like?

This is it now. I have a fork and a spatula. I do have some spices and random ingrediants. Tbh I don't use the microwave much, although I am not against it. I am a healthcare graveyard shift person in a very rural area. I will move in a month to the city. There was a lot of drama in the world at the time thus I wanted to just get away from it all. Thanks for your interest :bird:

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So...I think a big part of your issue is lacking some basics both in terms of your ingredients and in cooking know-how. First, I don’t know your financial situation, but here is a great post about what to go shopping for to feel a pantry. It’s vegan-based and like a decade old so prices have gone up, but still pretty invaluable. Also, you can pretty easily add in some cheap meats to this list. Chicken drumsticks or thighs, smoked sausages, packages of frozen catfish or swai or salmon fillets when on sale, and beef roasts that are in the clearance section/reduced price.

dino. posted:

Hrm. Unless you're feeding a family of 4, $50/week is a /very/ generous grocery budget. My husband and I approximate like $30/week, and I have company over all the time, so it's a little higher than usual. Rather than telling you what not to buy, I'll tell you stuff *to* buy.

5 lbs of rice. This should run you (at most) $2.50 ($4 if it's brown rice), and last you a good long while. I don't mean rice in a box. I mean the stuff that comes in a bag, that costs really little. You can often get sales on 20-lb bags of rice, where you pay like $8 or even less, depending on where you are in the country, and how carefully you check the circulars for that sort of thing. Barring that, about $10 for 20-lb bag of rice is roughly standard. If you get reamed, and pay full retail, I'll assume that you dropped about $5 on this bag of rice.

5 lbs of various beans. I don't mean the kind that come in tins. I mean the dry beans that come either in bulk, or in bags from various companies, like Goya. A good start is pinto, black, white, lentils, and split peas. Grab a pound of each, and you're set. If you cannot find them in the bulk section of the store, and they're coming in 1-lb individually wrapped bags, the most you will pay is around $1.50. I'm assuming you'll end up paying this, because if you're spending any amount of money on *-a-roni, you're used to spending a loving fortune on crap. Might well buy real food, and give that a whirl. I'm assuming you'll get the worst price, so I'm assuming $2/bag. We're currently at $15.

A 3-lb bag of onions. Should run you about $2, give or take. We're at $17.

A head of garlic. $1. So far, we're at $19.

Spices of various sorts. A good mix is cumin, coriander, black pepper, Kosher salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, dried basil, dried marjoram, dried oregano, dried thyme. I'm assuming you'll spend about $2 per container, give or take. $24. It seems like a lot of money, but the amounts you'll buy at a grocery store should last a month or so. So assume that this trip is a tiny bit more pricey than future trips, because I'm assuming you haven't got a stocked pantry. Currently, we're at $43.

At this point, we're nearly maxed out, but stick with me, and the other trips will be much cheaper, because you won't be buying the most expensive things (herbs and spices) every single week.

1 gallon of vegetable oil of some sort. This should run you about $10. We're at $53 right now (and this is a VERY extreme estimate, assuming that you buy the most expensive of everything, and don't find a single thing on sale, AND you buy everything all at once, which may or may not be the case). Currently, you've got the bare bones of a reasonably stocked kitchen.

Soak about 1 lb of beans overnight, and the next day, they'll cook up in 45 minutes - 1 hour on the stove, or 20 minutes in a pressure cooker, or 8 hours on low in a crock pot. The rice, if it's white, will cook in 20 minutes, If it's brown rice, soak it overnight like you do your beans, and it'll cook up in about 30 minutes on the stove, or 45 in the rice cooker.

The onions, garlic, and oil form a base for spicing up any of the beans that you've bought. Add one or more of the spices to the cooking onions and garlic to add a bunch of flavour for not a lot of money. Throw the cooked onions, garlic, and spices into the cooked, drained beans, and stir to combine. Eat it with rice. Any leftover beans should go into individual portions (I use zip top sandwich bags) into the freezer. That way, you don't get sick of eating the same thing over and over again.

The next week, the sky is the limit, because you've still got a boatload of rice and beans at your house, so now you can buy pretty drat near any vegetable you see in the store, bring it home, toss it in oil, salt, and spices, and roast it in the oven for 30 minutes at 350F or until they're tender. They make an excellent side to the beans and rice.

From here on out, replenish your stock of rice and beans and spices as needed. Unless you're deep frying every day, the gallon of oil will likely last you a couple of months. Unless you're pouring the spices on like a weirdo, the spices will likely last you a couple of months as well. The 5 lbs of rice should easily last you about a month, but if you like a lot of rice (as I do), you'll go through it in two weeks. One pound of beans should make four servings. Again, that five pounds will easily last you a month.

In other words, after spending a little more the first week, you'll spend FAR less the subsequent weeks, because you're just picking up accompaniments for the main food. Anything above and beyond the main cheapfood is a bonus.

Essentially, this way, you'll cut back your grocery bill to about $70 for two - three weeks, rather than $200 in one month. :gonk: As you cook more, and discover bulk spices in Indian and Latino stores, your spice costs plummet, because that same $2 that you spent on a small jar of spices will buy you an entire /pound/ of spices, which will likely last you about six months rather than one - two months.

So, you are interested in improvising. Improvisation in the kitchen is more about ingredients than it is about technique, especially for a beginner. You want to learn some baseline recipes that give you the knowledge to improvise. Unless you’re a musical savant, you can’t just pick up a new instrument and “improvise” with it, you have to know how to actually play it first. I know you’ve already bought a cookbook, but I would HIGHLY recommend Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything. The value of this book is that you can pick basically mainstream American food or ingredient and get a basic recipe for it as well as a ton of variations to practice improvising with. It also includes a guide on things to try always having on hand in a pantry, and kitchen tools to have. It was invaluable for me learning the basics, including timing, seasoning, browning, and knowing how to improvise.

A few pointers on your last meal and what went wrong:

1) as mentioned, you lacked some important flavor ingredients. With just a little butter and some spices, things could have been turned around a bit.

2) boiled meat is almost never good. It looks like you only have one heating element, so you’re gonna look for ways to only use a single pot. This is a limit on what you can do, but there are work around it. Boiling the noodles was correct. Just adding meats to it to be boiled with it was not.

3) the only way you’re going to be able to cook a roast with your set up is through braising. This means cooking your beef submerged in a flavorful liquid for a couple of hours with the liquid simmering, NOT boiling.

4) edit: I looked again and those definitely look like ground up pork. Ignore completely the part about slicing them up. You need to cook those like a burger patty in hot oil browning on both sides until cooked through in the middle. Serve over the cooked egg noodles. Save the beef for another time.

fr0id fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 31, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
^^ Hey I really appreciate the thoughtful response. I will order that book.
The situation currently is, I pay ($1,200/monthly) for a room in a hotel. There's literally nowhere to live in this area close to work other than an air bnb with barking dogs and screaming children and room mates, I couldn't stand it. So I came to a hotel primarily so I could get some sleep (I sleep during the day time).
However, the hotel manager said "no cooking in the room!" [edit: she told me this today] So this means, boiling and spices and the strong stuff I make is a no-no.
My first instinct was "well I just won't eat then gently caress it." Realizing the impracticality of that, I will be tail-gating every night, which might be fun. I have a nice made in Japane butane burner that I can use to stir fry, outside in the parking lot on the tailgate of my truck. I'll chop up the rest of the steak I have and some noodles and do that later tonight when everyone is asleep, about 2 or 3 am.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 1, 2020

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So...you are limited beyond belief if you can’t cook anything (ie anything fragrant). I still recommend you get bittman and once you’re on your own to try out his recipes. Try out the basic versions only at first, and only after you’ve been able to make those well try out the variations. I also had a lot of fun googling “best ____ ever recipe” and just picking from those. A lot of it will be recipe blogs or Allrecipes but you’ll get some decent experience trying things out and with that and bittman will start learning stuff like “oh this person is having me boil broccoli into mush” or “ oh if I sautee this beforehand it will be much yummier at the the end.

You don’t have an oven, only a pot and heater to boil or sautee. That limits you a lot. Look through budgetbytes.com. She has a lot of great one pot recipes. Buy a four pack of Kroger/grocery of choice plastic containers and divider your recipes out into four meals each. https://www.budgetbytes.com/?s=One+pot all of these are good one pot meals. Check out the meal prep section, especially the https://www.budgetbytes.com/make-ahead-microwave-breakfast-scrambles/you can find some other good stuff. There are lots of easy basic techniques to learn there and the recipes are all pretty simple to learn and execute. Your basic retinue is going to be sauteeing protein until browned, then adding veggies to sautee, then grains and liquid. Follow some recipes straight. Pay attention to how they treat ingredients. Then once you learn “oh hey some sautéed mushrooms add meatiness and to a sauce or soup or stew” you can start improvising. Learn the basics first though. Follow recipes exactly. It’s the best way to learn. And the best recipes will give you alternatives to try.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Can I just ask, what the gently caress are pork patties? I've never seen those before and they look exactly like macadamia nut cookies, but there's a loving sticker right there that confirms it's pork patties, and I am completely losing any semblance of reality right now

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
this has to be the absolute greatest troll of all time. that's your basement and minifridge you keep in the basement.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

TheAardvark posted:

this has to be the absolute greatest troll of all time. that's your basement and minifridge you keep in the basement.

Nah, that minifridge setup being built into a table with the TV on top does look a lot like a hotel, so that part is actually believable.

Your first post had images of you cooking on an electric stovetop though. What happened to that?

Edit: you mentioned moving to a city in about a month. Do you already have a place, or are you going to be exclusively in a hotel there as well? Because you might want to put your cooking on hold until then... especially if you're illegally cooking in your hotel room :v:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Drone posted:

Nah, that minifridge setup being built into a table with the TV on top does look a lot like a hotel, so that part is actually believable.

Your first post had images of you cooking on an electric stovetop though. What happened to that?

Edit: you mentioned moving to a city in about a month. Do you already have a place, or are you going to be exclusively in a hotel there as well? Because you might want to put your cooking on hold until then... especially if you're illegally cooking in your hotel room :v:

explain the pork patties.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
This is like some lost alternate evolutionary line of humans has just appeared out of the darkness, except its cooking.

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 1, 2020

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I don't know if they were cooked or not, I thought they were raw thus

I put them in boiling water with egg noodles, salt and pepper

:five:

I am excited to watch the evolution of your cooking abilities.

TheAardvark posted:

Can I just ask, what the gently caress are pork patties?

I also would like to know more about this.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'm in the hotel where I'm not supposed to cook.

First had a chuck roast, pretty fatty cut, I sliced it up into very small pieces with my Opinel pocket knife

I have my butane burner outside my door. I didn't want it on the ground so I put the thing on a small laptop stand.

I'm cooking it, I have a long spoon and just tossing the meat around over the high heat, just a bit of peanut oil. Just salt and pepper, nothing very aromatic.

It looks like it's cooked all the way through. Very greasy. I couldn't eat it all, just a little bit. But that means I will have the other part later when I'm hungry again so that's a good thing.

So overall, the beef cooked fast, probably 5 minutes because the thin cuts and high heat. On the other hand, I do not like being that close to the ground especially high traffic area like hotel ground that I'm sure is never cleaned. I didn't think of it until afterwards, but I want a different spot. I might even go over to my old house and just make the food in their driveway if the lady who owns the house is cool with it.
Also a street walker guy saw me, began staring at me, and turned up loud music while trying to make eye contact which I avoided. I am on a second floor so this kept my distance.

Oh pork patties btw, it kind of tasted like a porky pancake after it was warmed up.
Also the electric stove was at the house I don't live at anymore.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

You didn't need the peanut oil. Either way, congrats on posting the most edible thing you've ever posted!

As for the rest of the trainwreck that is your post, I really don't have much to say.

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 1, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Drone posted:

You didn't need the peanut oil. Did you at least season the meat with salt and pepper? Either way, congrats on posting the most edible thing you've ever posted!

As for the rest of the trainwreck that is your post, I really don't have much to say.

It was a bad idea and I won't do it like that again. Yep salt and pepped it up.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Maybe look around for an extended stay hotel? Some of those are pretty reasonable and are essentially efficiency apartments with maid service.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

TheAardvark posted:

Can I just ask, what the gently caress are pork patties? I've never seen those before and they look exactly like macadamia nut cookies, but there's a loving sticker right there that confirms it's pork patties, and I am completely losing any semblance of reality right now

according to the label, they are Paumies Porkies, a commercial battered pork product, which explains both the weird cookie appearance and the fact that the coating is clearly coming off in the water

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Interesting. The nearest Extended Stay is a 3 hour drive. Also, I move across country in 3 more weeks. I don't even know where to yet, looking like about 2,000 miles though. In a city I'll have access to housing.
In the meantime:

This is a snack I guess since I didn't actually cook, just prepared. It's Yogurt (Fage 2%, which is a shame because you want 4% for better fat content). I put in a dallop of butter, a pinch of mayo, then garlic for seasoning. For color I used the tumeric, which is healthy but I don't like dry tumeric as it's a little dirty and a tad bitter. This was very edible :actually: Oh yea I put some coconut flour in it too, I hope it's okay to eat uncooked coconut flour because the flavor is nice.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

I'm in the hotel where I'm not supposed to cook.

First had a chuck roast, pretty fatty cut, I sliced it up into very small pieces with my Opinel pocket knife

I have my butane burner outside my door. I didn't want it on the ground so I put the thing on a small laptop stand.

Ah, forbidden cooking. Story time! When I lived in Louisiana we got smacked by a hurricane and everyone lost power for a week or so. My friend invited "his crew" to come tailgate at his office to grill whatever we had managed to save from our fridges, before we all ran out of ice and our lovely grillable meats spoiled. Except around the time I got my coals going his boss showed up, yelled at him, and threw us off the property.

So I walked around downtown with a lit grill for a while until I found a large enough puddle to dump the coals into. Then I put my grill in my car and went to a bar instead. My friend got fired (not just for this but it was the last straw I guess).

Anyways that's my story, :five: and :justpost:

Interesting. The nearest Extended Stay is a 3 hour drive. Also, I move across country in 3 more weeks. I don't even know where to yet, looking like about 2,000 miles though. In a city I'll have access to housing.
In the meantime:

Oh yea I put some coconut flour in it too, I hope it's okay to eat uncooked coconut flour because the flavor is nice.

It's just ground up coconut! You will survive this misadventure.

If it was me, for only 3 weeks I would just content myself with cold sandwiches, oatmeal, and whatever I can do in the microwave. Which is a lot! Did you know you can make scrambled eggs and bacon in a microwave in a pinch? Or make a cake (admittedly not a great one)? Then use the money not spent on a temporary cooking setup (I think you asked about air fryers in the equipment thread?) to get Chinese or pizza or whatever when you need to break the monotony.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Discussion Quorum posted:

If it was me, for only 3 weeks I would just content myself with cold sandwiches, oatmeal, and whatever I can do in the microwave. Which is a lot! Did you know you can make scrambled eggs and bacon in a microwave in a pinch? Or make a cake (admittedly not a great one)? Then use the money not spent on a temporary cooking setup (I think you asked about air fryers in the equipment thread?) to get Chinese or pizza or whatever when you need to break the monotony.

I've been grabbing spoons of the coconut powder and chasing it with water, it's pretty sweet. You have to be careful because the powder can go down the wrong pipe and make you cough. I might be on the prowl for rotisserie chicken everyday and just have that be my meal, at least at work. I want goat milk, almond milk, the chicken, and I'll boil the eggs. Yogurt, and butter too.
Yea i lived on the westbank in SE Louisiana for a few years and made a little igloo in the freezer to keep my food safe during some hurricane. I learned to cook down there, I was eating a lot of organ meats after eating Taco Bell and Wendy's literally everyday for maybe a year and got fat. Felt so good to eat real food that I've never really turned back down that dark path of dollar menu items.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I learned to cook down there

I see.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Maybe a crock pot would be a good solution for low-smell cooking. You can probably find one on craigslist or Good Will for like $5. There's entire books devoted to recipes in crock pots and resources online. The only catch is they do take longer.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

the advantage to slow cookers is you can easily make Salsa Chicken with ease and have a hot meal when you are ready for it

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

...I put in a dallop of butter, a pinch of mayo...

Was that to increase the fat content, or for the flavour? I must admit I've never considered adding those to yogurt.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Idlewild_ posted:

Was that to increase the fat content, or for the flavour? I must admit I've never considered adding those to yogurt.

My posts might get a little slow. I've been just drinking a lot of milk, almond milk, and eating mangos, chicken (already cooked), and cheese.
But DO NOT put mayo in your yogurt, it did not taste good at all.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

What was the thought process behind putting the mayo in the yogurt?

Skyr
Jun 9, 2012
For yogurt, I would recommend sticking to the following basic mix-ins:
- granola (and maybe certain nuts/seeds in this vein?)
- fruits/berries (the mango you mentioned would probably be great)
- milk or cream, if you want it to be thinner
- sugar, if you want it to be sweeter

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
Are you a powerlifter or something? Milk, mangos, cheese, coconut. This is all pretty calorie-dense stuff.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

fart store posted:

Are you a powerlifter or something? Milk, mangos, cheese, coconut. This is all pretty calorie-dense stuff.

I study the way of The Great Gama

Also I very much stay away from added sugar/baked good, so I think I get away with more.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
This is a good thread, I think it's fascinating to see someone cook without being a slave to societies oppressive recipes. Before this thread we had no idea that mayo wasn't good with yogurt or even what a pork chop patty is, this is a thread of learning and exploration.

How do you feel about rice bird guy? you can cook it in one pan, it's difficult to get wrong and you can mix almost anything into it and still come out with an edible meal. I think it would be a good pantry item for you.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Butternubs posted:

This is a good thread, I think it's fascinating to see someone cook without being a slave to societies oppressive recipes. Before this thread we had no idea that mayo wasn't good with yogurt or even what a pork chop patty is, this is a thread of learning and exploration.

How do you feel about rice bird guy? you can cook it in one pan, it's difficult to get wrong and you can mix almost anything into it and still come out with an edible meal. I think it would be a good pantry item for you.

Those are some of my dinner thread posts that included rice. Rice is a staple, I might prepare some rice tonight thanks for reminding me :cheersbird:

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I've had some questions regarding the silver pan. That is not a pan but a stainless steel lid of a thai monk alms bowl.

It's very multi purpose, makes a great mixing bowl. I use the lid like a plate and I think the stainless steel is easy to clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Do you eat vegetables, excellent bird guy? A lot of your... "meals" seem to be just meat and nothing else. Like, if you're cooking some meat in a frying pan you can easily throw a pack of frozen vegetables in there as well. Maybe a splash of soy sauce or worcestershire and serve it with rice or noodles and you've got an actual normal meal that a regular person would eat.