Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
:siren:Mods, please rename this thread to “Food Gore: Post Your Grossest Looking Gruel”:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
looks bad Todd, the thread

SomedoodIV
Feb 28, 2013

I keep thinking about this thread and this post in particular and I cannot even guess what the actual hell this is even supposed to be. Like is it some sort of tortilla? A weird spicy naan? Chili quiche?!?

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin

SomedoodIV posted:

I keep thinking about this thread and this post in particular and I cannot even guess what the actual hell this is even supposed to be. Like is it some sort of tortilla? A weird spicy naan? Chili quiche?!?

The first pic looks like the dish scum at the south east asian place I work at

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

And we'll never get closure. :gonk:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Drone posted:

And we'll never get closure. :gonk:

The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

This was a great thread lmao. Namaste, bird guy, and may your milky sand always be umami

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
drat I want to see more improv cooking! RIP bird guy, returned to his home planet to show his people what the humans refer to as "food".

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

This thread was not what my brain needed right now.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
This is a Cheese Thief thread now

Fried noodles (rice), fried in peanut oil with garlic msg and fish sauce

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I miss him so much how dare you stand where he stood

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Same guy https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3949213&perpage=40&noseen=1#post510264506

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Cheese Thief posted:

This is a Cheese Thief thread now

Fried noodles (rice), fried in peanut oil with garlic msg and fish sauce

I'd recognize that glazy, oily sheen anywhere.

Still hotel living?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Drone posted:

I'd recognize that glazy, oily sheen anywhere.

Still hotel living?

I have a really nice apartment in a cool downtown city. A fridge, oven, everything. But the grocery stores close at 10pm so I'm stuck without food sometimes. I only had rice noodles left so thats dinner. I will use less oil if that's too much.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

How much oil did you use?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The sp00n zone is back :pcgaming:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Cheese Thief posted:

I have a really nice apartment in a cool downtown city. A fridge, oven, everything. But the grocery stores close at 10pm so I'm stuck without food sometimes.
Since you have a fridge, and since some foods do not require refrigeration, one thing you can do is buy food ahead of time and cook it later, rather than having to buy all the food you eat the day you eat it, if that is what you are doing. That way if the store is closed some day, you can just cook food you already have, rather than not eating.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
welcome back friend, you have been missed

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

been missing the sp00n zone. What else have you cooked in your absence?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Since you have a fridge, and since some foods do not require refrigeration, one thing you can do is buy food ahead of time and cook it later, rather than having to buy all the food you eat the day you eat it, if that is what you are doing. That way if the store is closed some day, you can just cook food you already have, rather than not eating.

I feel like this is wrong but I can't quite figure out the error in this argument so I'll provisionally accept it until i can prove otherwise

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

So all I had to eat were somekind of noodle made out of mung bean? It is so messy, the clean up is horrible. I need way sharper scissors to cut this.

See it's everywhere

Since i was told I use too much oil, I changed to butter. I need to clean the iron skillet, guess I'll get on that next year some time.

King Oyster looks a little old, i cut off the top part because I figure thats where all the spores are. The rest was fine, nice a chunky.

Oh boy, I used Ginger, Garlic, MSG, Pepper, Tumeric (the bad spice because it stains).

Someone told me I needed to brown my mushrooms better, so I put in a pan on high. I put in the secret sauce, Fish Sauce.

Looks good to me. I ate all the mushrooms out of the pan so it didn't make it into the final product.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

You don't need to cut glass noodles before you cook unless you're trying to boil less than the full package, just use a 1-2 gallon pot of boiling water and as you start to lower them in they'll loosen and you can stir them apart ASAP so they don't clump.

You don't have to cut off anything from mushrooms unless it's moldy or tough. The cap is usually the best part :). You can really brown mushrooms and they develop a lot of flavor, great for pasta. Usually cream is added at the end to make a sauce.

Do you enjoy onions like that? They look like they were cut a bit too thick and prepped a bit too raw for my tastes. I'd probably replace half of that with a different vegetable and cook until translucent. This may require a lower heat if you find it's browning before softening.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Yeah, those onions are both burnt and too raw, if that makes sense. Ideally, they should look glassy and not brown or even black. Furthermore, please, please wash your pan and use much less butter.

I'd also recommend that you get a stock of canned tomatoes. These can be used for a lot of dishes and it's hard to make something disgusting with them?

Finally a general question from me: MSG is glutamate, right? I've only seen it frozen or pre-prepared meals you can by at the supermarket before. I don't think you need it if you're cooking fresh stuff at home.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Do you ever use recipes, or is your cooking mostly improv stuff?

If B, have you thought about doing more of A?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

KonvexKonkav posted:

Finally a general question from me: MSG is glutamate, right? I've only seen it frozen or pre-prepared meals you can by at the supermarket before. I don't think you need it if you're cooking fresh stuff at home.

It is an excellent standby ingredient when you want to cheat adjust a dish to make it seem like you've put a lot more effort into it than you really have. Anything that can benefit from greater meatiness benefits, though I find myself using it most often in soups, grits, and gravies.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

It is an excellent standby ingredient when you want to cheat adjust a dish to make it seem like you've put a lot more effort into it than you really have. Anything that can benefit from greater meatiness benefits, though I find myself using it most often in soups, grits, and gravies.

OK, that makes sense, I just hadn't heard about using "pure" glutamate for cooking at home before. When I want to cheat, I use some kind of instant chicken or vegetable broth for that purpose (which also often has glutamate in it).

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Definitely. I actually just had to restock Better Than Bullion because it works so well. And any SE Asian dish has so many fermented things to add, I never use MSG there. Much better outcomes using miso, soy sauce, black bean paste, etc.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cheese Thief posted:

Since i was told I use too much oil, I changed to butter.
If you were told you ate too much chocolate, would you switch to ice cream?

JUST USE LESS.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Cheese Thief posted:

Since i was told I use too much oil, I changed to butter. I need to clean the iron skillet, guess I'll get on that next year some time.
When it comes to cooking like this, butter is an oil. Or, to put it more accurately, when people said you were using too much oil, what they really meant was you were using too much cooking fat. Cooking oils are one kind of cooking fat, but others include butter, lard, tallow, etc. Stop using so much of that stuff. This is for instance too much butter. If it's greasy, basically, cut down on it!

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
OK I will cut down on the butter. But this morning I made something good, I am happy with myself. It's primarily fried pickles and almonds served over bread of your choice.

Started with butter, to make it big and bold, a foundation. Then added those spices you see Tumeric, Ceyanne, Ginger, And Fish sauce to give it some pop.

Pickles and almonds getting friend, I think they go good together, being crunchy, and being green and brown.

I added the toppings. Cheese and creamcheese on mine. What kind of toppings would you like on yours?

Elegantly simple. As seen over Cornbread.

This dish is top class. I loved every bite. I call it 'The Master Splinter" btw

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Looks great! There seems to be a healthy portion of broth as well, would you think sopping that up with maybe a pancake or perhaps some lentils would be good?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Replace the pickles with frozen mix vegetables and the almonds with some chopped up (cooked) chicken breast and you have an actual, respectable, normal, simple meal.

And a bit less cheese.

Drone fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 3, 2020

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Clean your pan please. I'm begging you. Please do it.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Cheese Thief posted:

I have a really nice apartment in a cool downtown city.

what is "a downtown city"

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Mods, please don’t ever ban this guy. In the absurdity that life is right now, it made me laugh uncontrollably for many minutes. I actually looked in my pantry seeing if I could come up with something similar.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
An inventive dish to be sure. I appreciate the addition of new colors in your culinary palette so to speak.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A careful balance of sweet, sour, and salty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Can there be a gangtag for cooking sp00nboi recipes? I would definitely make fried pickles with almonds over cornbread if I had 1% more motivation.