Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

drat that looks good. I'm hoping to grab a ham to cook sometime this week. That stuff is good to toss in the freezer after 3 days of consuming nothing but pig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Well here we are, 4:30AM, empty pantry, nothing to eat but a sack of onions and glass noodles. I'm making the best out of it until the stores open

As seen above, I put a lot of butter in the pan. That's my frying sauce.

I boiled the noodles. But in the skillet onions were frying in the butter. I proceeded to put in Cayenne pepper to make it spicy. A lot of fish sauce too. Mixed both the noodles and onions into the same pan.

Then, I made it red. I had Chinese takeout a few weeks ago and still had a big tub of sweet and sour sauce they sent over. Everything turned red, and it tasted really good. I was quite happy with the mix of flavors, but I was also really hungry.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

In principle, this looks almost edible, but you don't need that much butter to fry onions. Also, why are they always chopped so coarsely? If you chop them into smaller pieces they fry much faster and mix better with whatever else you're putting into that pan. They also still look a bit too raw for my tastes. Onions are best when they're almost completely glassy but not brown yet IMO.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

KonvexKonkav posted:

In principle, this looks almost edible, but you don't need that much butter to fry onions. Also, why are they always chopped so coarsely? If you chop them into smaller pieces they fry much faster and mix better with whatever else you're putting into that pan. They also still look a bit too raw for my tastes. Onions are best when they're almost completely glassy but not brown yet IMO.

Big onion slices are easier to put a fork into than a little tiny piece of onion

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cheese Thief posted:

Big onion slices are easier to put a fork into than a little tiny piece of onion

You have a very, very different way of eating onions than I do...

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
made a breakfast quesadilla for the first time also i dont know how to cook i feel like this goes here

it was extremely filling but i did basically as much as possible wrong while still getting a recognizable finished product and while i ate the whole thing i did not enjoy every bite. my pepper was also ground too coarsely and made me think that i was crunching through chunks of egg shell.

Sing Along fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 29, 2020

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Sing Along posted:

made a breakfast quesadilla for the first time also i dont know how to cook i feel like this goes here

it was extremely filling but i did basically as much as possible wrong while still getting a recognizable finished product and while i ate the whole thing i did not enjoy every bite. my pepper was also ground too coarsely and made me think that i was crunching through chunks of egg shell.

Sometimes extremely filling is all you need to get you through the night :cheerdoge:

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Here is my chicken. Its the only way I've ever made it. 3 of those quarters would be a meal for me the entire day.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I gotta ask how you check if the chicken is fully cooked.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I gotta ask how you check if the chicken is fully cooked.

Just letting it cook a long time, like 45m to hour, do you have any suggestions

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I'm half awake and these recent food posts are making my eyes pop out of my head.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
looks bad todd

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Cheese Thief posted:

Well here we are, 4:30AM, empty pantry, nothing to eat but a sack of onions and glass noodles. I'm making the best out of it until the stores open

As seen above, I put a lot of butter in the pan. That's my frying sauce.

I boiled the noodles. But in the skillet onions were frying in the butter. I proceeded to put in Cayenne pepper to make it spicy. A lot of fish sauce too. Mixed both the noodles and onions into the same pan.

Then, I made it red. I had Chinese takeout a few weeks ago and still had a big tub of sweet and sour sauce they sent over. Everything turned red, and it tasted really good. I was quite happy with the mix of flavors, but I was also really hungry.

I like onions a lot so I would probably really enjoy this. Most people prefer onions to be soft and flavourful, and not crunchy and sharp, but not me. I like both. I'd eat this if the sauce wasn't a few weeks old. I want this to have gochujang instead of sweet and sour sauce, no cayenne needed. That's also good for making things turn red. The glass noodles are used in Korean cooking a lot. Needs some garlic, finely sliced, added with the onions. Nice

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
oh no they're multiplying

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

eating only apples posted:

Needs some garlic, finely sliced, added with the onions. Nice

I took a cooking class in Chiang Mai, they taught us to crushed the whole garlic glove with a knife first to make them easier to peel. I use powdered garlic now because it is easier.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

You could just get some lovely diced garlic in a jar.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 30, 2020

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

You could just get some lovely diced garlic in a jar.

Can confirm. The jar works for my Italian mom and grandma.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Didn't feel like going out to by groceries so I had to make a special meal.

I have 2 sausages in the fridge so lets put em on. I chopped them up small so they cook through.

NOT TOO MUCH BUTTER YOU ONLY NEED A LITTLE BUTTER, this is enough

Chopped onions!! No big gently caress off cuts of onion ffs, nice and tiny onions.

I'm tired of beige food so here we have YELLOW tumeric, RED cayenne, and (beige) garlic and ginger but they're worth it.
Not picture is fish sauce. The onions are a translucent brown.

More colors that aren't beige. RED sweet and source sauce that came with my takeout a long time ago but it's good. and BLACK beans.

Filtered out some pickle seeds from the jar. Hey I have some ORANGE soda water, why not?

Soba noodles, I over cooked them because they fell apart. This had a really strong flavor. But it was the best thing I've had all week. If other people ate it they'd probably start coughing due to the powerful flavor.

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 31, 2020

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

Filtered out some pickle seeds from the jar. Hey I have some ORANGE soda water, why not?

Flying a little too close to the sun here, Gimmickarus.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Fartington Butts posted:

:smugmrgw:
real talk: The food was very good tasting
Id like to come up with something new and different, I always make small changes to the same general thing

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I'm sorry for criticising your cooking, but that orange soda is really stretching it. Please allow me to keep my suspension of disbelief.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It's la croix so it just tastes like soda water that saw an orange, but still weird

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Should have hit the brakes before the orange soda and pickle seeds. Before that it was looking pretty good. If you want to add some moisture to your dish just start with a few tablespoons of water or chicken stock. Orange soda is a pretty advanced maneuver.

Also have you thought about using olive oil instead of butter? It’s a lot healthier.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Also have you thought about using olive oil instead of butter? It’s a lot healthier.
:colbert:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Fartington Butts posted:

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Should have hit the brakes before the orange soda and pickle seeds. Before that it was looking pretty good. If you want to add some moisture to your dish just start with a few tablespoons of water or chicken stock. Orange soda is a pretty advanced maneuver.

Carbonated water, doesn't have much taste and it was what I was drinking atm so yea it just needed a little moisture. It had 0 impact on the taste but I think helped it not burn. It's absolutely not orange soda. Think Seltzer. First of all I don't drink canned drinks like coke, pepsi. Orange soda is WAY too syrupy for me too drink.

GAYIDS
May 3, 2020

by Pragmatica
I like using orange soda to boil my rice to go with my orange chicken

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Welp here's what I've been eating these past few months..

Shrimp rice, too many green peas made the food an ugly too green color. (Not pictured: The ugly green finished product)

A roll up snack

Chia seeds on the big pork ribs.

I tried to bake the pork ribs and it was so gross.

Using a cast iron Dutch oven now

The eggs are blackish I guess that is from the iron?

Banana + Cream Cheese + more Chia seeds

Strong beef stock, I saved a lot of shank bones to make it

More eggs

Tumeric makes them very yellow

Ham

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That ham looks like it's going places.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
quite the commitment to being a really disgusting gimmick account

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

quite the commitment to being a really disgusting gimmick account

Yeah I’m still pretty torn on this. It’s fascinating that someone would push a gimmick that far, and equally fascinating that a human being would combine these flavors together.

Mustard on shrimp and chia seeds on ribs is like something a sitcom alien would think up when it tries to cook dinner for the family it lives with.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It's a big world and I absolutely believe there are folks with devout anarchistic culinary tendencies. I've done random "but what if convention is stupid as gently caress?" projects in the past, most of which fail but which scratch a cowboy-eschewing-civilized-society itch.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I can't tell if the fact that his camera is always greasy goes in the fake or real column

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
not a gimmick :thanks:

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Ok, so I am going to take a new direction with my thread that I do think is useful to my growth and hearing feedback is good. I guess I was poorly self aware until I logged onto something awful. So far, all I've really learned is to chop onions up very dicey which I now make a strong effort to do.
From this post forward (:toxx:) all my spoon zone Let's Cook posts will at least stem from a cookbook, or an actual recipe that is not my own. Because I'm not really getting any better. Below is my collection of cookbooks.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Those are good references! Seriously, I think you have the wherewithal to get good, the fact that you're eager is always good! Start simple, build up. Fundamentals are always good, and dicing onions can def transfer to other veg so you got that going :)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

syntaxfunction posted:

Those are good references! Seriously, I think you have the wherewithal to get good, the fact that you're eager is always good! Start simple, build up. Fundamentals are always good, and dicing onions can def transfer to other veg so you got that going :)

Also please clean your cast iron.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Cheese Thief posted:

Ok, so I am going to take a new direction with my thread that I do think is useful to my growth and hearing feedback is good. I guess I was poorly self aware until I logged onto something awful. So far, all I've really learned is to chop onions up very dicey which I now make a strong effort to do.
From this post forward (:toxx:) all my spoon zone Let's Cook posts will at least stem from a cookbook, or an actual recipe that is not my own. Because I'm not really getting any better. Below is my collection of cookbooks.

I’m glad that you got How to Cook Everything! I’d recommend the Stir-Fried Chicken with Ketchup recipe. (Edit: it’s on page 677 of my copy. Listed in the chapter on poultry in the section on stir-fried chicken) It seems like a weird combo but works well, and doesn’t require many ingredients. Try it just using the basic recipe at first.

Also, please clean your cookware after every use. You want to wipe it out to where the surface is smooth to the touch and there are no little cooked on burnt bits. For the cast iron, you can add boiling water then scrape it. You can also when it’s dry toss in some kosher salt and rub that around with a paper towel or cloth as an abrasive.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I'm gonna lean into assuming you're not a gimmick Mr. Bird.

The second shot of the ribs looks decent. Throw a buncha sauce on that and I bet it would be good.

And the photo that looks like some slow cooked beef in a pile on a cutting board? Probably good but needs a sauce. (Edit: Looking at it again... no it doesn't. Throw it on some bread with a pickle or red onion)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

Don’t count yourself out just yet. You have to learn how to walk before you can run. Try doing like four or five different recipes from the books and see how they come out. Then pick a different recipe and put your own twist on it to see what happens.

The way I learned to cook is by following recipes closely at first. Then once I got comfortable with the using common ingredients like onions, garlic, tomatoes, chicken, pasta, soy sauce, peppers, etc I started to tweak recipes more to my liking. Eventually you get comfortable with enough ingredients that you can start making meals totally from scratch. It just takes time to learn how everything works together.