Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Also as a positive contribution if you put a little more effort into prepping ingredients with your knife beyond onions I think you'll have a more pleasant eating experience. In particular that tortilla wrap thing I'd imagine you got bites that were exclusively large pieces of cheese before the whole thing fell apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

pile of brown posted:

Also as a positive contribution if you put a little more effort into prepping ingredients with your knife beyond onions I think you'll have a more pleasant eating experience. In particular that tortilla wrap thing I'd imagine you got bites that were exclusively large pieces of cheese before the whole thing fell apart

This is very true. Small changes in presentation make a huge difference. Tonight I had simple plain steamed carrots, but cut nicely on the bias they have a much more pleasant mouthfeel and visual appeal.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
CT you're a wild man outlaw chef who doesn't gaf about following trends but truly cooks from the heart, it's all very whimsical and makes me laugh

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
He cooks like a wolf awoo

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cheese Thief posted:

Using a cast iron Dutch oven now

The eggs are blackish I guess that is from the iron?

Banana + Cream Cheese + more Chia seeds

"not a disgusting gimmick"

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
To be perfectly honest I don't care at all about how food tastes, presentation, whatever. I care about nutrition #1. But #2 I care about how other people would think that I might have to someday cook for. So any effort I make to 'get better' is entirely with the idea of future family meals.

Seriously like my meal at one point was just cold sliced deli meat and I'd just eat 3 of those with peanut butter and that's lunch. I _ do not care _ how food tastes but other people do so it should be important.

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 15, 2021

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Anyway, that was black Rice Pilaf, beans and ham. I think it is normal enough.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
So it sounds like you just don’t really mind eating random things together and calling it a meal. That’s fine. There are other people out there that legit don’t like food at all and just eat those Soylent shakes, so you’ve at least got one up on them. But yeah when it comes to being able to cook for other people one day, that’s something to consider.

When you pick out a recipe to make? Can you post a picture of the recipe itself here as well?

Cheese Thief posted:

Anyway, that was black Rice Pilaf, beans and ham. I think it is normal enough.

This is approaching something a normal human would eat :golfclap:

Just have to ask, what’s the chunky sauce on the beans?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Banana, cream cheese, and chia could be the basis of a real dish. You could dress it up with some caramel and candied pecans for dessert, or pair it with some peanut butter toast for breakfast.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cheese Thief posted:

To be perfectly honest I don't care at all about how food tastes, presentation, whatever. I care about nutrition #1. But #2 I care about how other people would think that I might have to someday cook for. So any effort I make to 'get better' is entirely with the idea of future family meals.

Seriously like my meal at one point was just cold sliced deli meat and I'd just eat 3 of those with peanut butter and that's lunch. I _ do not care _ how food tastes but other people do so it should be important.

how can you possibly care about cooking for others if you "dont care at all about how food tastes"? #2 is such a weird concern to have if you are sincere about #1.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If you don't care about how food tastes, or seemingly much about food at all, what brought you to this subforum for people who are so passionate about food most of us are masochists in every other aspect of our lives?

Also if you're solely interested in nutrition, something like meal prep for workout people seems more your speed, you steam a few cups of vegetables, steam a few cups of rice or boil sweet potatoes and steam some lean protein like chicken or fish and portion it out. Boom, nutrition without worrying about techniques or combinations of ingredients or flavor.

Don't change and don't stop posting though because this scratches the itch I've had since masoakis stopped uploading videos

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
please, i beg you please, post video of you trying to get a child to eat that stuff

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

Never have I seen a more fitting username for a given thread.

Edit: And I agree, if all you care about is nutrition then a high protein, macro-conscious diet seems like it would fit the bill. Like the classic grilled chicken + steamed broccoli + brown rice combo. A lot of your current cooking seems very oily and lacking in nutrition-dense vegetables to call it nutritious to me. You lack green vegetables in particular--things like dark leafy greens (kale, spinach, etc), broccoli. Some people like to make sure their diet consists of all the colors of the rainbow to hit as many vitamins and minerals as they can. So things like red bell peppers and tomatoes, carrots, yellow squash and lemons, the aforementioned dark leafy greens, purple cabbage and blueberries, that sort of thing.

Carotid fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 16, 2021

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
CT said that they don't care about how food looks/tastes for themselves but is trying to get better on the basis of possibly feeding family/other people at some future date.

It's not unreasonable to come into a forum ~~full of passionate people~~ to improve your skills, like someone might go into TCC only smoking weed but will leave addicted to heroin.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

If I may recommend another book that's helped me with more freeform cooking than recipes it is the Flavor Thesaurus:

https://g.co/kgs/wPsXub

It focuses more on pairing flavors and why they work, similar to the way one might play with chordal interactions on guitar (or at least that's how I tend to think of it)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The strawberry chocolate mint milkshake

The ingredients:

7 fl. Oz. milk (any kind will do)
6 Oz. frozen strawberries
2 fl. Oz. Chocolate syrup
1 fl. Oz. Rumpleminz or other peppermint liqueur

Optional garnishes if serving to others: sprig of mint, fresh strawberry partially split to hang off the glass, a couple chocolate chips

Approximate total weight: 16+ ounces.

If using a smoothie glass, obey the fill line:

Because...

"Some aeration may occur,"

Thirty seconds of blending is plenty; smooth af

This recipe is pretty modular too. You can use almond milk, maple syrup or even jam, double chocolate vodka, spiced rum... it's all up to you.

Approximately 450 kCal. Serves one adult or two kids.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 18, 2021

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
Needs more cream cheese

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I didn't realize this wasn't the generic "post what you made" thread until I went back through it after posting :v:

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Make the ketchup chicken, cheese thief.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/-stir-fried-chicken-with-ketchup-53059791

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

BraveUlysses posted:

how can you possibly care about cooking for others if you "dont care at all about how food tastes"? #2 is such a weird concern to have if you are sincere about #1.
I want to take care of people I love. I also like being creative and enjoy the process. I should have said I am not a food snob instead of not caring about how it tastes. I like everything. I think you just made me hot for calling me disgusting so I was just reacting to that.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Just have to ask, what’s the chunky sauce on the beans?
That was really thick stock that I strained from the beans.

Mister Facetious posted:

I didn't realize this wasn't the generic "post what you made" thread until I went back through it after posting :v:
It was intended to be! Thanks for playing!

fr0id posted:

Make the ketchup chicken, cheese thief.
I will eventually. Ketchup is a little bit gross though.

That's the rest of my beef broth. I tried hard to follow a recipe. I have to substitute things that are not available. Fish sauce, msg, spaghetti noodles, clove, ginger, big gently caress off onion slices. It's pretty good.

Another recipe I tried to follow. It asked for some weird things I'd never heard of so I substituted whatever I had.

Elderberry tea stuff I made, it was ok

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cheese Thief posted:

It asked for some weird things I'd never heard of

Like what?

Can you post the recipe?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Something called "schnozzberries", I asked around if anyone else had heard of it and got some pretty cryptic answers.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Drone posted:

Like what?

Can you post the recipe?

star anise was one that comes to mind. I just used my msg instead. I'll post them sometime, I have pictures from the book in my phone

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I'd say at this point in your journey, if you look at a recipe and find you can't cook it because you don't have the ingredients, you should probably choose a different recipe. You're not at a stage where you can accurately substitute things yet.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Another option is to Google "X substitute." So for instance if you don't have star anise you can Google "star anise substitute." This will work better than trusting your instincts, which are terrible.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I bought a book called "The Food Lab," upon insistence from someone I know who is smart. I'll read it and learn a lot, maybe. On the other hand, maybe ignorance is bliss because i swear to god i don't know the difference between what's good and what's bad.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Cheese Thief posted:

i don't know the difference between what's good and what's bad.

The cool part about being in that situation is it's a position pretty much everyone has found themselves in at some point, and all you have to do to fix it is follow the recipe.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Can I ask what food was like at home growing up? Did the people raising you cook regularly?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

Just letting it (chicken leg quarters) cook a long time, like 45m to hour, do you have any suggestions

Toss some salt/seasoning/shake & bake on them and throw them in an oven at 325 for an hour using a baking tray or even the cast iron pan you have (skin-side up). If you don't finish one, debone the meat and toss it into soup/rice/sauce of choice

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 19, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cheese Thief posted:

star anise was one that comes to mind. I just used my msg instead.
:allears:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If you're going to substitute anything for star anise, do fennel and cinnamon, but it won't be right.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
In order to follow your instincts for a particular activity, you need to develop those instincts first. It's like someone who wants to draw a portrait and has never drawn before--sure they can try to re-invent the wheel and do it completely on their own, but why waste so much time and effort when you can learn from others? You can do this by cooking recipes with the exact ingredients first, to learn how things fit together and why.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

pile of brown posted:

If you're going to substitute anything for star anise, do fennel and cinnamon, but it won't be right.

Some black licorice chunks will work in a pinch.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Cheese Thief posted:

Another recipe I tried to follow. It asked for some weird things I'd never heard of so I substituted whatever I had.

Can you post the recipe? Kind of looks like tuna salad without mayo.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Cheese Thief posted:

I will eventually. Ketchup is a little bit gross though.

Lol dude come on

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

I bought a book called "The Food Lab," upon insistence from someone I know who is smart. I'll read it and learn a lot, maybe. On the other hand, maybe ignorance is bliss because i swear to god i don't know the difference between what's good and what's bad.

Nah it's probably good to read that. I have a copy of that, but haven't read it much out of laziness. But since it's Kenji it's probably full of useful techniques and recipes. Some easy, some more difficult.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Some black licorice chunks will work in a pinch.

No

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Only if it's salted liquorice

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Only if it's salted liquorice

I think it's messed up that there's no liquor in liquorice. It's a bit poo poo to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That's why you gotta drink that 'buca