Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The new method of regulating electricity demand when they switch off the radio 4 transmitter is going to be the Vanguards detonating their missiles in response and obliterating the densest electrical consumers in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
China has invested heavily in the upgrading of infrastructure across east Africa to benefit from the drift of manufacturing capacity across from India when it inevitably happens mind.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The new method of regulating electricity demand when they switch off the radio 4 transmitter is going to be the Vanguards detonating their missiles in response and obliterating the densest electrical consumers in the country.

Would raise the mean average temperature of the Hebrides to a balmy 4 degrees.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Total Meatlove posted:

China has invested heavily in the upgrading of infrastructure across east Africa to benefit from the drift of manufacturing capacity across from India when it inevitably happens mind.
Germany seems to be doing similar with West Africa (well, the parts that aren't still subject to French theft) but in a much more subtle/liberal manner

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Haroon_Siddique/status/1333411493300367360

Womp womp.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Germany seems to be doing similar with West Africa (well, the parts that aren't still subject to French theft) but in a much more subtle/liberal manner

Colonialism and I don’t have to bring a ruler? Sign me up.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

right wing hachetman in right wing shocker

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the big problem with 1b1r will continue to be that land/pipeline transport is expensive compared to container shipping by sea, and it's true even in the most developed, quiescent regions of the world, and there's no reason to think this will change. In peacetime, people gravitate to the cheapest option.

it makes more sense as:

1. a way to subsidize the development of Western China by linking it with its neighbours
2. a limited diplomatic option in Central and South Asia
3. an emergency option in case of temporary crises

in that order of importance

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Total Meatlove posted:

Please don’t ignore this, it’s really important that you engage with your supplier on this and get the SMETS2 meter installed.

They do rely on a mobile signal tho, and I'm in rural south wales too, with absolutely no mobile signal whatsoever. A lone figure standing on top of the nearest hill, folornly waving one arm in the air trying to receive a security code is a common sight round these parts.

After the 3rd or so time explaining this over the phone, they stopped bothering me, and noone has bothered me for a couple of years now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
One boy one receptacle.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Total Meatlove posted:

Please don’t ignore this, it’s really important that you engage with your supplier on this and get the SMETS2 meter installed.

You are in an are using a Radio Teleswitched Meter. These are used to ensure demand on the local network around your area doesn’t exceed capacity. Historically the signal that switched meters across to economy 7 or to other behaviours was embedded in the long wave signal for Radio 4, but the BBC are switching the transmitter off entirely, so there needs to be a new way of updating and talking to meters.

Resiliency in local networks is really important and especially when it comes to increasing levels of electrification in cooking, heating and transport.

https://www.energy-uk.org.uk/files/docs/Policies/Smart%20Meters/TheFutureofRTSFebruary2020.pdf

I see. Thanks for the info.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Continuity NIP posted:

Not sure I understand. We exchange money for goods and services

I think the point is like... what are we adding to the system to produce the money to exchange for goods and services?

China is providing the labour, we are providing a whole bunch of people who are mostly paid to warm seats.

Why doesn't china just make its own consumer class bigger and wealthier instead of relying on ours?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Maybe it's for the best that the EHRC didn't end up investigating Islamophobia in the Conservative Party. They would've softballed it and then every right-winger in the country could hold up the eventual report as proof that the Tories are racism-free. At least if/when the Tories end up doing an internal investigation people can dismiss that as blatantly partisan much more easily.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Siphoning money out of other people's countries is generally the most reliable way to make yourself bigger and wealthier :v:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

OzyMandrill posted:

They do rely on a mobile signal tho, and I'm in rural south wales too, with absolutely no mobile signal whatsoever. A lone figure standing on top of the nearest hill, folornly waving one arm in the air trying to receive a security code is a common sight round these parts.

After the 3rd or so time explaining this over the phone, they stopped bothering me, and noone has bothered me for a couple of years now.

I don’t know if you would be on a radio tele-switched meter. If you are it’ll be WPD who are dealing with the transition across. If not, then you’re likely fine. If you’ve got no signal then you’ve got no signal, and the utility of a smart meter is nowt until that’s sorted.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I see. Thanks for the info.

No bother. The way that responsibility for, and the rollout of, smart meters was managed has been a nightmare.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Total Meatlove posted:

I don’t know if you would be on a radio tele-switched meter. If you are it’ll be WPD who are dealing with the transition across. If not, then you’re likely fine. If you’ve got no signal then you’ve got no signal, and the utility of a smart meter is nowt until that’s sorted.

My mother has no mobile signal for a radius of 2-3 miles around her home. She has infinite problems explaining this to companies who insist she must be able to get texts or whathaveyou on her mobile (which in any case is never charged and lives in a drawer in case anyone wants to talk to the knives and forks*).

*not original - pinched from someone else with elderly parents!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I realize it's in the dictionary I just object to it.

Also I don't know what a hezbollah shirt is so I made one.

Also an idea for Rowling's next book

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Having a ponder here:

Should bodies like the EHRC be part of the judiciary? That would ensure proper independence.

Would mean not cutting the legal budget to the quick but that's an entirely different argument.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1333355057056780288

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My mother has no mobile signal for a radius of 2-3 miles around her home. She has infinite problems explaining this to companies who insist she must be able to get texts or whathaveyou on her mobile (which in any case is never charged and lives in a drawer in case anyone wants to talk to the knives and forks*).

*not original - pinched from someone else with elderly parents!

One of the big reasons that a full coverage of the country is so important.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Guavanaut posted:

it’s boko haram, not boko haram *flicks wrist*

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guavanaut posted:

I can't see her ripping off it's always sunny

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

He stood for the Whigs in 2015.

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1333425710036361218?s=19

The Whigs.

In 2015

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

notaspy posted:

Having a ponder here:

Should bodies like the EHRC be part of the judiciary? That would ensure proper independence.

Would mean not cutting the legal budget to the quick but that's an entirely different argument.

The unfortunate truth is that "independence" is impossible by any means. The possibility of neutrality is just a myth that we've somehow built an entire society around and its now obvious that it's a big castle on the sand.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/joanna_louise0/status/1333322039067815936

I know Lawrence Fox is just a spoilt brat acting out because Billy got the house, the kids, the friends and the talent in the divorce but gently caress me he deserve the hate he gets.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What could be more impartial than standing for the whigs?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gonzo McFee posted:

I know Lawrence Fox is just a spoilt brat acting out because Billy got the house, the kids, the friends and the talent in the divorce but gently caress me he deserve the hate he gets.

He's high up on my "hope he gets COVID" list alright. It's a big list, I have a lot of scores to settle

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Total Meatlove posted:

No bother. The way that responsibility for, and the rollout of, smart meters was managed has been a nightmare.

Out of interest, are you involved in or well-versed in the smart meter rollout at some level? UKMT is usually great for effortposts from experts on different subjects and I'd really love an insider's view of what is going on there. Don't want to put you on the spot though! That document you linked is full of barely disguised panic which amazes me since the SMETS and SMETS2 rollout have been on the horizon for quite a while.

I had the dumb meters in my place swapped out for SMETS2 when I moved in, and the IHD stopped acquiring readings within a week. It then intermittently picked up either gas or electricity but never both for another wee while until I changed provider and it died completely for 3 months. It recently woke back up and has realised it's on a new provider but they aren't taking smart reads yet and still want me to submit them manually. It looks like an absolute catastrofuck from where I'm sitting so I'd love an insder's opinion both on the tech and on why providers are struggling to roll it out.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Catzilla posted:

I don’t think Americans do savoury pies. Apart from something they call a pot pie which is not a pie, just a stew with a lid.

I can only speak for the Ottawa area and the supermarkets I go to but... yes they do. There are a few different kinds of meat pie in the freezers, plus I just bought Pilsbury chilled pie crusts the other day which have a specific set of instructions for savoury pies on the box.

Plus the first supermarket I thought of has a recipe section which includes 6 pages of recipes for pies at least like a third of which are savoury, and include stuff like cottage pie, shepherd's pie, pies with pastry on the bottom but not on the top, pies with pastry on the top but not on the bottom, pies with pastry on the bottom and mash on the top, pies with pastry on the top and the bottom, pies with puff pastry, etc.

I haven't knowingly seen sausage rolls but I'm vegetarian so they're not something I look for.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that is a commonwealth affectation, USAians do have a strange fixation with sweet pies.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Christ he's such a pernicious bellend.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
can we add Laurence Fox to the Weetman embargo list already

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

WhatEvil posted:

I haven't knowingly seen sausage rolls but I'm vegetarian so they're not something I look for.

Andrew WK seemed mystified by the concept

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10157599304120329

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/OC/status/1333178232992980993

also
https://twitter.com/alanrogers123/status/1333413645045338112

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

Out of interest, are you involved in or well-versed in the smart meter rollout at some level? UKMT is usually great for effortposts from experts on different subjects and I'd really love an insider's view of what is going on there. Don't want to put you on the spot though! That document you linked is full of barely disguised panic which amazes me since the SMETS and SMETS2 rollout have been on the horizon for quite a while.

I had the dumb meters in my place swapped out for SMETS2 when I moved in, and the IHD stopped acquiring readings within a week. It then intermittently picked up either gas or electricity but never both for another wee while until I changed provider and it died completely for 3 months. It recently woke back up and has realised it's on a new provider but they aren't taking smart reads yet and still want me to submit them manually. It looks like an absolute catastrofuck from where I'm sitting so I'd love an insder's opinion both on the tech and on why providers are struggling to roll it out.

I work in a connected capacity, but not on the dedicated smart meters side The barely disguised panic comes from the interconnected and incestuous nature of the utility industry in the UK.

The history of the Data Communications Company and the network being created is the history of poor decisions though. (yay capita). To get agreement across a lot of the longer term objectives of any project, you’re looking at at least fourteen to twenty distinct companies and entities agreeing and being able to agree on standards and interoperability for legacy sets going back to the 60’s. I can see if anyone at work wants to do a tell all on how hosed it was, but to give you an idea, the current work being done to get energy data to anything approaching the open banking standards is to take til ‘23.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The UK still produces a decent chunk of industrial goods - it's that what's left in the country is mostly stuff that requires high tech production, large capital investment and a heavily educated population. China could probably produce most of this stuff, and they are trying in some fields to become more self-sufficent and trustworthy. There's also the fact that western goods are much more trusted for quality etc - which is a much more widespread cultural business problem in China for which there's no easy fix.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

WhatEvil posted:

In Canada sausage rolls are most commonly served as non-fancy finger food. People will pick them up from Costco or Canadian Superstore and serve them when guests come over, or during low-key events.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/nathanfielder/status/620060895209779200

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is that who our newly declared as 'Foreign Aid' drones are for when old Boris needs a poll boost.

Mind you, I think Welsh Labour just lost next year's council elections:
pubs etc not to be allowed to serve alcohol after Friday and all pubs, restaurants etc to close by 6pm.

Look I get criticism/scaremongering of the Senedd at the beginning as a glorified local council but we're really at least a little better than that now (Council elections are 2022, Senedd ones are the ones next year), I do think the 2 week lockdown should have been for longer though tbf given how much it's now gone to poo poo. Although this section in the recent Wales TAC report on the tracking of people's movement is full on 'oh yeah they can do that with the data, huh I sure hope this never gets misused'

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Chat is the train wreck you would expect http://www.twitch.tv/ukgov_official?sr=a