Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Deeply cursed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

The Perfect Element posted:

Food inflation is pretty insidious, but everyone does seem to be noticing that their weekly food shop is increasing in price. Will be interesting to see the reaction when Brexit hits and onions cost £2 each.

I was talking about this with a colleague about how shes suddenly realised her food shop has gone up about 30% from the start of the year. When we were speaking I realised mine had too. its been creeping so I'd not really noticed it in one big hit but yes it really has shot up.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Nothing has made me giggle harder during the covid pandemic than the article on the bbc implying you can order a scotch egg and use it as an excuse to drink as it is a "substantial meal"

You can keep your booze but i really fancy a scotch egg now

My favourite thing about British-themed restaurants in America is how amazed Americans are at Scotch eggs. There are lots of lovingly photographed Scotch eggs on instagram.

Sausage rolls are also a revelation over there. If you can bake sausage rolls you're a wizard.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

HopperUK posted:

My favourite thing about British-themed restaurants in America is how amazed Americans are at Scotch eggs. There are lots of lovingly photographed Scotch eggs on instagram.

Sausage rolls are also a revelation over there. If you can bake sausage rolls you're a wizard.

i think in part we aren’t used to things being baked into bread that aren’t sweet or cheese generally, pigs in blankets a notable exception usually made possible through strategic use oh whompems

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

serious gaylord posted:

I was talking about this with a colleague about how shes suddenly realised her food shop has gone up about 30% from the start of the year. When we were speaking I realised mine had too. its been creeping so I'd not really noticed it in one big hit but yes it really has shot up.

Its funny to hear this because i spent £70 in tesco yesterday and it didn't seem that expensive for what we got, we are spending more but then we buy everything we eat at the supermarket now so its hard to judge.

I bought a tesco meal deal for my lunch today just for the sheer novelty!

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

mediaphage posted:

i think in part we aren’t used to things being baked into bread that aren’t sweet or cheese generally, pigs in blankets a notable exception usually made possible through strategic use oh whompems

I'm so confused by this sentence, do you think there is bread involved with either of these things?

A sausage roll is the easiest thing to make and is the best breakfast. (I confess I use the pre-rolled pastry sheets)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Man i miss being able to walk into a greggs and buy 2 sausage rolls for a quid

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Man i miss being able to walk into a greggs and buy 2 sausage rolls for a quid

I just checked and I can get two delivered for...£3.59. I can make 6 for that!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Most pre-rolled pastry in the US is slightly sweet, as it's used for fruit pies and such, but there's a hungarian (?) brand they sell here that works nicely.

Pork pies are the things I can't make and miss dearly.

Edit: Wewalka is the pastry if anyone cares

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 30, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do they not have halfbricks in the US?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

SpicePro posted:

I just checked and I can get two delivered for...£3.59. I can make 6 for that!

Jesus Christ that's a markup, wish i could remember all the prices from being at Uni, used to love a £1 steak bake

franco
Jan 3, 2003
I went into a Greggs for a sandwich for the first time since lockdown as I had to visit somebody in hospital and I see they now have a vegan steak bake in addition to the vegan sausage roll. That one didn't make much news.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its funny to hear this because i spent £70 in tesco yesterday and it didn't seem that expensive for what we got, we are spending more but then we buy everything we eat at the supermarket now so its hard to judge.

I bought a tesco meal deal for my lunch today just for the sheer novelty!

Chicken, bacon and stuffing sandwich and cheese and onion mccoys. Which drink depends on mood.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

I don’t think Americans do savoury pies. Apart from something they call a pot pie which is not a pie, just a stew with a lid.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Firos posted:

Chicken, bacon and stuffing sandwich and cheese and onion mccoys. Which drink depends on mood.

Sorry I'm too much of a wanker for a sensible lunch choice like that - today its southern fried chicken pasta, carrot and dip snack and a water

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Dropping the car off for a service and mot before work today meant I walked past a bunch of estate agent windows. Why am I not surprised that 4 of the 5 had what appeared to be full staff, no social distancing and no masks?

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Catzilla posted:

I don’t think Americans do savoury pies. Apart from something they call a pot pie which is not a pie, just a stew with a lid.

They're missing out! I just made a Shropshire Fidget Pie and it's glorious.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

franco posted:

I went into a Greggs for a sandwich for the first time since lockdown as I had to visit somebody in hospital and I see they now have a vegan steak bake in addition to the vegan sausage roll. That one didn't make much news.

It's been around for well over a year, i'm pretty sure

Also are not poverty and malnutrition prices worth paying for our sovereignty freedom independence britaines :nono:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sorry, i was using breads as very broad term. whompems are commercial biscuit dough (like a rich scone dough made with margarine) that you have to whomp on the counter to pop open since the peel usually fails. they’re fatty enough to nearly be short crust.

Catzilla posted:

yeah it’s this. i mean, i make savoury pies and tarts - especially mushroom - all the time but traditionally speaking the closest most people get are pot pies (they have bottoms, too) or the occasional quiche (man is frozen quiche ever disgusting).

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 30, 2020

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

The average price of the food I buy in Norway had gone up by like 50% the past 5-10 years and that was before the pandemic hit. Food is getting real expensive.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

crispix posted:

It's been around for well over a year, i'm pretty sure

Also are not poverty and malnutrition prices worth paying for our sovereignty freedom independence britaines :nono:

No bananas, but if you did theoretically have bananas, they'd be as bendy as you like.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 30, 2020

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Guavanaut posted:

Deeply cursed.

On the other hand, I think this tweet is a contributing factor;.

https://twitter.com/RealMarkDexter/status/1333345719542030338?s=19

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Over here (FI) it's common to find ready made pie crust in the frozen section, folded up in brick form, sweet or savory depending on what you want.

I really wonder though why nobody in Finland has realized you can sell pie crust already pressed into an aluminium form like in the US and probably elsewhere... That's strangely absent. Personally I don't tihnk you save much time buying those bricks of ready made crust so I just make it from scratch most of the time. Now I could see myself buying ready made crust in forms since that would be a real time saver.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Over here (FI) it's common to find ready made pie crust in the frozen section, folded up in brick form, sweet or savory depending on what you want.

I really wonder though why nobody in Finland has realized you can sell pie crust already pressed into an aluminium form like in the US and probably elsewhere... That's strangely absent. Personally I don't tihnk you save much time buying those bricks of ready made crust so I just make it from scratch most of the time. Now I could see myself buying ready made crust in forms since that would be a real time saver.

it’s so easy to make i think it’s always worth just doing. 3-2-1 ratio and you’re off. fwiw you could easily make a big batch and freeze it either in a pie tin, or in sheets (they soften quickly on the counter). or really you could freeze in a pie tin lined with parchment, remove, then bag up. that way you could just plop it in a tin and go later.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

southern fried chicken pasta

...what

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Pablo Bluth posted:

Dropping the car off for a service and mot before work today meant I walked past a bunch of estate agent windows. Why am I not surprised that 4 of the 5 had what appeared to be full staff, no social distancing and no masks?

Estate agents are not human and cannot catch covid.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Estate agents are constantly doing the full Glengarry Glen Ross. Can't let disease stop you from closing!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Savoury pies other than shepherd’s pot pies are uncommon in North America, but sausage rolls aren’t, though they’re not eaten quite as much in the US or Canada as in the UK. Scotch eggs are really unusual though. Even though they taste pretty good I’m always weirded out seeing someone just lay into one in a pub and all the mess that usually makes.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

franco posted:

It's more expensive than and not as nice as the vegan sausage roll imho.

If they put out a vegan sausage bean and cheese melt though I'll be extremely loving excited.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Can someone get me this Hezbollah t-shirt?

https://twitter.com/ClientJournoExp/status/1333187276051001345?s=19

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

sebzilla posted:

It's more expensive than and not as nice as the vegan sausage roll imho.

If they put out a vegan sausage bean and cheese melt though I'll be extremely loving excited.

the sausage and bean melt is my weakness

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Is Benjamin Netanyahu in her book?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I object to the use of the word "slope" to describe a method of locomotion.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

OwlFancier posted:

Why

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

https://earringsforpalestine.bigcartel.com/product/original-hezbollah-t-shirt

25 quid

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

it is an accepted definition though i do think writers too often get a bug up about showing off their vocabulary.

i’m all for mocking terfs whenever possible tho

do you think she’s seen one or just googled hezbollah shirt

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Slight change of topic: to save money when none was coming in, I cancelled the TV Licence DD, as the only thing we ever watched was TOTP89 on iplayer. I'm now getting 'some guys are coming, respond or we'll fine you'. Is it worth contacting them and telling them I'm not paying £120 a year for a programme first shown 30 years ago I watch pissed up when I remember it? Can they actually do anything? I remember someone else in the thread was on about it a while back.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Goldskull posted:

Slight change of topic: to save money when none was coming in, I cancelled the TV Licence DD, as the only thing we ever watched was TOTP89 on iplayer. I'm now getting 'some guys are coming, respond or we'll fine you'. Is it worth contacting them and telling them I'm not paying £120 a year for a programme first shown 30 years ago I watch pissed up when I remember it? Can they actually do anything? I remember someone else in the thread was on about it a while back.

Theyr just lying.

I don't watch TV so don't have a license
Every few months I get a letter implying people are gonna beat me up next week unless I give them money

They've done this for 8 years now

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'm not renewing my licence myself this time round, as I watch literally no tv whatsoever and also, gently caress the BBC. I think there's some form you have to fill in online, confirming that you don't watch tv any more.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
TV licence knobheads are threatening to visit this week to enforce action on me or something. The house isn't built yet, as soon as the address was registered started getting the letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Goldskull posted:

Tell them you don't have a TV and they'll leave you alone for a while.

But really they can't do poo poo.