Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Posie Parker sounds like a villain from a 1940s children’s novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Excluding fuel costs, how much do you reckon it costs to run a small car for a year?
(No, I can't drive and looking at driving test sites is giving me mild panic attacks - I was just wondering how many taxis I could take for the same cost!)

As others have said it depends on the kind of driving you want to do, as a small car with a small engine doesn’t automatically equal cheap insurance and running costs. For short urban driving they’re fine, but if you plan to do long motorway cruises you’d want something with more power.

In terms of costs my BMW 320i costs £600 to insure (social domestic and pleasure, 10,000 miles a year, 6 years no claims bonus, a couple of windscreen claims, no points or convictions) and road tax is £150 a year. First MOT is due in a couple of months so that will be another £55 a year to add on top of that. This doesn’t include consumables or servicing though, so there is also that to consider.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Lol folks in Kent are doing their nut because Operation Stack is back again. Been a while old friend.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Welp, both my parents are having to self isolate for 2 weeks as of today. My mum phoned 111 which ended up with an ambulance collecting her to take her to hospital for tests.

The X-rays and blood tests came back fine but still waiting on the COVID one. She has lupus and her flare ups do resemble COVID symptoms and have done for many years so that’s what we’re hoping it is. If not, well poo poo.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’m so sorry WhatEvil, condolences to you and your family.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I absolutely detest SUVs. They’re pointlessly tall with a high centre of gravity so they handle like poo poo, so the manufacturers have to compensate by making them pointlessly wide with rock hard suspension. So they still drive like poo poo but at least they won’t feel like you’re about to roll over when cornering at more than a snails pace. It is however immensely funny watching them try to get through a 2.0m width restriction (and some SUVs now literally won’t fit).

Even small cars are not immune to the plague of the SUV. Ford replaced the KA with the KA+ which was the same thing with taller suspension, ruined handling and a bigger price tag. They also released the Fiesta Sport Active which is a ruined Fiesta with a bigger price tag, because apparently you can’t go running unless your car is pointlessly tall.

My partner unfortunately loves them for reasons already raised in the thread - she feels safer in the elevated driving position.

I’ll stick with my compact saloon I think.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

mudskipp posted:

Yea was discussing this with a much better paid friend who also drives an old car, I couldn't understand who had the cash to buy all these brand new shiny machines but it all made some kindof cynical sense once you look up the financing figures. Hopefully people enjoy em anyway.

I wish these subscription services had abit more leeway for when you don't have time to make he most of em. I like the idea of psnow but all I really want is a way to play MGS4. You end up paying for swathes of mediocre crap in these streaming services too.

A weird quirk of car financing via PCP (and affects leasing too I suppose) is that paradoxically a more expensive car can be cheaper or at least comparable to obtain via the aforementioned financing methods.

Basically premium cars depreciate less, which means the guaranteed final value at the end of the agreement is so much higher, so there is less to pay over the term of the finance which = cheaper monthlies. It’s how you see so many people bombing around in expensive hot hatches.

Of course this does mean they haven’t got a hope of being able to afford the balloon payment at the end of the agreement, so they’re stuck with either giving the car back and having to cough up a deposit for a whole new car/finance, or pray there’s some equity between the final value and actual value at the time so they can part exchange it.

Did you know negative equity loans exist? That’s a fun one.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Negative equity mortgages are one of those things you hear and immediately understand why the entire housing market is in the shape it is.

Oh I was referring to cars. Like you could have a car on finance and you want to get a new vehicle but are upside down on equity. So the dealer gives you a loan to cover the negative equity value and rolls this into the monthly payment for the new one.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

OwlFancier posted:

Depends on the car and the road, my car is poo poo so I can't overtake safely a lot of the time, especially not when you most want to overtake which is going up a hill because there is usually a blind summit at the top and cyclists go at walking pace up them and your car needs 3-5 working days notice to get up to speed as well. So i end up following the cyclist trying not to stall my car driving it at 2mph.

Make the lanes wider and put cycle lanes on steep hills.

Could be worse, you could be attempting to overtake a car who’s driver doesn’t understand that to maintain speed on an incline you have to push the loud pedal harder.

Doesn’t help that there are a lot of motorists out there who seemingly hate being overtaken and will speed up/actively attempt to block any attempts at doing so.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

stev posted:

Also the CEO's son has apparently been given a stupid amount of influence despite his incompetence, and made a game with a terrorist group that uses BLM iconography.

Never buy a Ubisoft game. I mean you can if you want but it's not advisable.

Whenever I want a game but dislike the developer I just get it second hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I embedded the wrong tweet, but the Hill seems to think the 'fireworks reported in London' are about Trump, and not because the 5th November annual dog scaring contest lasts about a week.

http://twitter.com/thehill/status/1325161871754858496?s=19

To be fair around where I live we’ve had a few fireworks going off here and there, with a decent chunk on the 5th as you’d expect, but there was an enormous increase after the news broke about Biden winning.

Could be a coincidence but it did feel like people were celebrating the fall of Trump.