Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Isomermaid posted:

That particular way of holding the phone with the screen facing the sky and talking into the bottom of it with the loudspeaker on *seemed* to coincide with the boom in reality TV. Quite often they'd have to capture both sides of a phone call, and the various ways of doing that properly (using special phones, clipping something to the phone, getting a film crew in to cover whoever's making the call) were much more annoying to set up than just putting it on speaker and floating a shotgun mic over the heads of the people on the phone. (Hence the phone being held at that weird angle).

I've got no idea if this is just coincidence but I want to believe that it's totally down to people watching that on TV and just internalising "oh yes, that's a reasonable way to hold a mobile phone, of course" and copying it. Like once enough people were doing it it just caught on and became a thing.

So I do this, not holding it, but if I'm calling anybody I like to be able to move around and not be tethered/holding my phone. The point where I'd not put it on speaker is if it was a really serious conversation that I wanted to very much focus on.. Otherwise I want to be able to put my phone in my pocket, run downstairs to grab something and keep up the conversation without having to switch back and forth or have the phone nailed to my ear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was supposed to be doing an MA remotely and would have had a little spare cash from the loan, but can't get a reply from anyone at the uni about remote study so am probably going to have to cancel that.

Full solidarity and support for the rest of your post, it sounds extremely not fun. Just on this point and obviously anecdotal and absolutely not guaranteed but in the last few days the Uni I work at has basically gone to all the lecturers and said "Yeah this combination remote and in person lecture thing you devised needs to now be 100% remote because of what's likely coming down the pipe."

I'm not in a lecturer position so this is, in itself, second hand info but given the news stories about other Uni's it wouldn't surprise me if this is happening across the sector. Which would bode well for your Uni saying actually yes.

UnquietDream fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 3, 2020

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just got another NEC ballot email - apparently as an 'affiliate' through Unite, I get to vote on the Welsh rep to the NEC.
Any other Wales persons on here got a recommendation who I should vote for?

Mick Antoniw is the one you want to go for, ideally I would have said we shouldn't have MS's going for it but given that Mick had inertia from being appointed by Mark and that his opponent is the former First Minister, the high profile and so on I understand why that's the choice gone with this time. I'd be arguing for the next go around that if you're going to have somebody to represent the ordinary members it should be an ordinary member themselves.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

Hi everyone, haven't posted in a while. What's the thread's thoughts on the Northern Independence Party? I'm very curious.

So a mate of mine does a podcast and the latest episode has a interview with Northern Independence Party and Mebyon Kernow, it's a good podcast episode; https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/hiraeth-welsh/independence-from-england-6ljFQbDYaAi/

UnquietDream fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 17, 2020

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

Mebh posted:

I can't find where it was posted but that podcast with the northern independence party and the cornish party was excellent. https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/hiraeth-welsh/independence-from-england-6ljFQbDYaAi/

You should get the NIP guy on the pod.

Posted in this thread, two pages ago, by me. But yes, good to have more people getting eyes/ears on it. It's their most popular podcast apart from the livestream (full disclosure, I pop up on the livestream for some Carmen Sandiego action) thing they did on the American election.

YouTube link here for those who listen the podcasts that way; https://youtu.be/-4cw1B3k8wo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is that who our newly declared as 'Foreign Aid' drones are for when old Boris needs a poll boost.

Mind you, I think Welsh Labour just lost next year's council elections:
pubs etc not to be allowed to serve alcohol after Friday and all pubs, restaurants etc to close by 6pm.

Look I get criticism/scaremongering of the Senedd at the beginning as a glorified local council but we're really at least a little better than that now (Council elections are 2022, Senedd ones are the ones next year), I do think the 2 week lockdown should have been for longer though tbf given how much it's now gone to poo poo. Although this section in the recent Wales TAC report on the tracking of people's movement is full on 'oh yeah they can do that with the data, huh I sure hope this never gets misused'

Only registered members can see post attachments!