Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

The Question IRL posted:

So this is something I feel a bit guilty about.

I heard about this Posie Parker person last year (visa vie some article about Terfs and a woman who realized she had been radicalized by them.) And I was convinced that they were talking about the actress Parker Posie.

So when I watched Season 2 of Lost in Space, I was convinced that she was this awful woman going around spreading hateful stuff in the world. I didn't realize that was another dickhead who has chosen an incredibly similar name.

It would be like if there was a man named Ceremy Jorbyn who threw wild minks and ferrets at people on the street, and it got pinned on someone else instead.

Until I read this post I also assumed they were the same person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I spent the entire 12 hours I was out of local lockdown in my house.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

uuuuuggghhhhhhhh my head is killing me

What's everyone's favourite hangover cure, gimme

An apple and lots of water

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

SpiritOfLenin posted:

So the news were completely accurate. I knew deep in my heart the news had to be accurate, but I just had to check. It was reported just so dryly that I just thought "that can't be right, that sounds like its a bit", but no, of course its true.

Basically everything our government does is so dumb or corrupt it sounds like a bit.

I can't remember where I saw a thing comparing the UK today to the final days of the soviet union but I don't think it was too far off.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

The Joker: I...worked on this story for a year...and...he just...he tweeted it out.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Lol Brendan Lewis was asked if the government plans break international law, and instead of weaselling out of it he just said yes it does but it's fine.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

The world is in a very good place when countries just admit international law is meaningless. Definitely a good stance for a weak country with no actual power to take.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Mash avocado with a pinch of salt and lime juice, spread on sourdough toast, sprinkle with chilli flakes and olive oil, top with a poached egg. It loving rules. Might even have it for lunch tomorrow.

There are few things better than reading about something delicious then realising you have all the ingredients

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

Christ who is next in line after...

Oh no

Oh no no no

The Prince who was promised... The king across the waves!

I don't think the King of Bavaria will take the throne in the event of the death of Keir Starmer, but the British constitution is an odd duck to be sure.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Yeah I knew someone who commuted from Manchester to London most days, which seemed insane until I realised his commute (as he was in walking distance of the station at both ends) lasted about as long as another friend who commuted from just outside of Wigan to Manchester.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I had a job that involved two buses and a tram and lasted between 1-2 hours depending on traffic. A week after I quit the bus route was changed so the bus when directly from my flat to the office.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Convex posted:

Mail seem to be pinning this one on Johnson in a harder way than I expected...

All journos hate Boris so I think they're happy to pin everything bad on him to protect the tories.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Sounded to me from that tweet that the CCP will be forcing people out of their homes and into cities where they can be used up in factories. It's all got very british industrial revolution undertones, reminds me of the british land reform when they took all the common land from the farmers and they then got ground to dust in hellish conditions in factories in cities.

I think that's a fairly accurate assessment. "Natural" migration from rural areas to the cities has dried up which has reduced the excess workforce and means that China has lost the advantage of relative labour cost in manufacturing.

There is some sense that moving Uyghurs into concentration camps has been as much about creating a new source of cheap labour as it has been about ethnic cleansing, but it's still a relatively small population so now they are having to do something similar to rural Han Chinese.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I'm honestly surprised he didn't bollock the barrister more.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Flayer posted:

Is that just a bad photo or has Keir been at the pies during lockdown?

Honestly I feel like he had some sort of health problem, because every time I see him he looks more and more bloated. And I mean bloated because it looks more like liquid retention or something rather than fat.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Lol in that world cup of MPs the fbpe lot decided to own the left by voting for... Rosena Allin-Khan, accidentally causing a result everyone is fairly happy with.

Seriously though ban all "world cups of x". Twitter polls are the worst thing about that hell site.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I thought the first stage int he breakup of the UK would be Scottish independence or Irish re-unification. Kentish independence was not on my list.

Also my geography of the south-east is pretty sketchy but does that mean they are going to have to put a border & customs post on the M25?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

the sex ghost posted:

Kent Regulatory Access Permit was right there, another government blunder

There is someway to fit this news into the acronym KUNT and by god I intend to find it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

This is a... surprising point of principle for him to stick to:

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1308817247675256833?s=21

Maybe he's hoping to scare the "silent majority of quiet unionists" into supporting... the tories? gently caress knows.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

peanut- posted:

A combination of Rishi and the employer are going to pay, with the employer paying for more hours than they actually receive in labour. Seems daft.

So have the Tories accidentally created a wage system that means capitalists don't receive surplus value?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

jabby posted:

Oh good, the thread is still 90% people who left Labour and people who didn't sniping at each other.

What are the other 10% of posts abou...

TACD posted:

The problem with Tweetman IMO

oh never mind I found them.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Weirdly everyone I lived with at uni was okay at cooking from what I remember. From our first week in halls we made a rule that once a week one person would cook for the whole flat and we ended up staying together in digs. Even did a roast for Christmas and everything.

Only guy not included was the bloke from Accrington who lived off horrifying kebabs and disappeared after the Christmas holidays.

I did have a flatmate after uni who would eat frozen sweetcorn as a snack.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

feedmegin posted:

No such thing as a horrifying kebab imo :colbert:

I knew two separate people who got a kebab from the same place and found cockroaches in them.

Re: Ascension. Jesus loving Christ. They would be literal death camps.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

feedmegin posted:

To be fair, I can see a good explanation for a big rise in postal voting in the 2019 election, which was that the weather was loving awful and forseeably loving awful. I know, I was out leafletting in it.

Yeah i basically destroyed a pair of shoes because they got so waterlogged on election day. I think all parties were worried about a winter election hitting turnout and were getting people to vote by mail.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

Who keeps voting this thread 1. Reveal yourselves, cowards!

When I'm phone posting I often accidentally rate threads so it might be me.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

There was a lad on the radio the other day who said he received notification that hed been near someone but no idea who and had to self isolate for 14 days or something, but he got the notification on the 11th day, so he only had 2 or 3 left to do and had unknowingly been getting on with his life in the previous 11 days

I got a notification the other day that said "someone near you has reported..." and then when I tapped it to get more information it just took me straight to the app with no further information and disappeared, so gently caress knows what that was supposed to tell me to do.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I have a new enemy on the village Facebook page. Their icon or avatar or whatever is a black and white Union flag with a thin blue line horizontally across it.

Shouldn't the line be high-vis yellow?

E: the thin piss line

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Jose posted:

so the test and trace app has informed me i was near someone who tested positive but provided no other information at all which is very helpful

Yeah it just tells you that then disapears and gives no further information.

I'm honestly thinking of deleting the app because at the moment it just drains my battery and doesn't do anything useful.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Also lol that Labour is still 3 points behind despite *gestures broadly*

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

jiggerypokery posted:

try to not read that in kier stamaaaas voice. go on

the premise of this post is that the reader would recognise keir starmers voice and i'm not sure thats a viable position

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Looking at the covid data today and it looks like Northern Ireland was on the same sort of track as the north of England but cases have now plummeted again.

What are the current rules in NI?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Clearly Keith is a Bernie Bro

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

So I'm now in tier 2 which seems to be less onerous as I can now go into someone's garden?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Mate of mine shared this on Facebook.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

That's an impressively un-catchy chant, I have to say.

The SWP's whole raison d'etre is turning up at protests and loving them up with bad chants I think.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

They've given the license to kill to the FSA because they intend to murder everyone involved in the production of proletarian snacks like monster munch.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Oh poo poo they've given it to the gambling commision so they can go after anyone campaigning against betting machines haven't they? They're going to destroy people's lives because they are threatening the "economically important" betting industry.

This law is so loving broad it's actually mind boggling.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

gh0stpinballa posted:

edit: yeah much of this stuff already happens but this is the most overt, unapologetic and broad sanction i've ever known them have for this kind of thing. there's not even a vague apologetic attempt to bullshit people on what this is.

Yeah I mean this is what really gets me, they have just dropped all pretence. It's basically saying get in line, or we'll kill you and rape your kids.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

This morning I had radio 3 on in the car, and I was amazed how the BBC news bulletin was so pro Tory and also pro trump. 4 headlines:

- a top government scientist says that local leader's disputes with government efforts to put them into tier 3 are putting lives at risk (he hasn't said this, but the BBC is clearly making it sound like he supports the govt and it's Andy Burnham who is to blame if more people die)

- Northern Ireland is going into a circuit breaker lockdown, but "critics say" due to a lack of financial support this is likely to happen the economy. Wales is expected to follow NI in days (focus on unnamed critics saying circuit breakers won't work)

- Joe Biden has challenged Trump's handling of the coronavirus in a town hall. Trump in his own event said that his team had done an amazing job. (Nothing to point out that trump is clearly wrong or to mention how unhinged he was. Just face value repeating his claim in a calm measured tone)

- Republicans have complained after Twitter blocked stories about Hunter Bidens hacked emails. Twitter has apologised (so I guess according to the BBC the republicans were in the right? Nothing to confirm that yes the emails were legally hacked so Twitter was right to block their distribution)

Honestly gently caress the beeb. I don't expect in depth analysis on a 5 minute news bulletin but they could at least make the bias less transparent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Boris confirms we are dropping out with no deal in the middle of a global pandemic, but it's okay because the libs have rigged a poll to get a lorry park named after nigel farage.