Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I'd feel totally nuts if not for my company steadfastly supporting us and saying, nope, no office until at least next year.

They've allowed any staff who want it, to switch to permanent work from home with no consequences, so several of my teammates are in the process of moving to different cities to be with family/partners and we've already hired two folks from the USA time zones who have happily said they will get start work at 2am their time until covid is over.

Company offered to move them over and they all just said nah, we'd rather stay remote.

It's really going to be a thing I think now. There's no going back. I don't think most of my colleagues will ever go back to the office full time. I really hope the rest of the tech sector follows eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Was chatting about this at the weekend.

With no commute for so many people for so long I think even if we all did start going back to work. Loads more people learnt to cook more things and had to figure out cheaper alternatives to that £7 sandwich from Pret or a starbucks. Yeah there's a certain convenience element to it, but I honestly think that entire industry of selling overpriced food to rushing commuters is never going to get back to what it was.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The fudge has arrived just in time for my wife's eye surgery. You are a godsend Camrath. Also having nutritional info. I love you.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I gotta say. The fudge is exquisite. The Eton mess is like being punched in the face with raspberries and cream. The chocolate orange is a tad sweet for me but wow. Its both orangey and chocolatey and the apple pie...wow. It smells divine and tastes even better.

Have you considered some persian style flavours? Rosewater, pistachio etc.

My favourite dessert is called knafeh (spelling may vary) a godly baked combination of melted cheese, shredded filo pastry, rosewater infused sugar syrup and joy. https://youtu.be/nSteAlgpFvc

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The wife approves of the fudge. She says the best fudge she ever had was butter pecan fudge in a South Carolina Market.

Also. Chai flavour!

Lets fund camrath's new kitchen! Now all we need is a goon home brewing gin.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Camrath posted:

I’ve decided I can squeeze in one last cook before I move- I’ll be announcing on Monday, but one of the flavours will be PSF (pumpkin spice fudge) which is pretty close to chai in flavour. :)

:getin: we are so down.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

You just replace the casking with redistilling it through half your spice rack, right?

There's actually a Vegan/earth foods place nearby that does most of the botanicals I'd need.

37.5%abv with juniper being the dominant botanical == gin.

You can literally steep botanicals in vodka and make gin that way.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

From reading about you only need to put it through a brita filter if you want it to be clearer. It doesn't change the taste.

Steep 750ml good vodka with 2tbsp dried juniper and whatever other dried botanicals you want in a sterilised container for 24h. After 24h taste it, add any fresh flavours (peel etc.) and more dried botanicals that you want to increase the flavour of. Leave for 24h again.

Filter it with a sieve. Leave for a couple days then filter through a cheesecloth to remove sediment.

If you want it clear, use a brita filter. If not. Drink away.

What I'm curious about is... Can I use cheap as poo poo vodka? Can I use more expensive bison grass vodka for a different taste.

I currently have a bottle of chilli and ginger gin I want to crack open. But basically all this fancy poo poo only matters for the first drink. After one g&t barrel gin and rainwater would taste good tbh.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Hm. I do not own a brita filter.

It's DIY time!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJzmG6luRyg

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I used to make Mars bar and skittles vodka all the time. Man. I think I'm going to make some next week.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I managed to stop at 3 beers last night. So no hangover woot.

I did go buy a load of random crap to start filtering vodka.

Thanks late night drunk goons. You're all a lot of fun.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Bobstar posted:

A guy I knew once insisted nougat was the "la-di-da Mr French man" pronunciation, and it should instead by pronounced "nugget"

That's how they pronounce it in the southern states at least.

Further proof that America was a mistake. Even if it produced my lovely partner. She agrees.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

You are entirely in the right Camrath. Stand your ground and loom.
Your new kitty is a family member! I get steaming rage like nothing else with animal abusers.
Solidarity to your wife feeling scared, I'm the same with conflict but in this case it's necessary!

E: as I edited grammar one of my kittens came and sneezed all over my phone screen.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Camrath posted:

You are now required to post the kitten.

She's not a kitten anymore but I still call her that:

Here's the day I first met her and she came over out of her litter and put a paw on me, then demanded to play:

This tradition continues to this day.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Back garden drinking with smoked chicken wings basically is the best thing.

E: I shared some Camrath fudge with my friends and they're all wanting to buy fudge now. Woo.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Camraaaath.

The fudge is gone.

My friends ate it all.

When is fudge time again?

Help =(

Mebh
May 10, 2010

In uni we had a whole crate of holsten pils. It was disgusting. We tried many ways to make it palatable. Including mixing it with cadburys drinking chocolate and milk. Which we decided was OK.

It was not OK and young people are stupid.

Shoulda just bought line cordial or lemonade...

Mebh
May 10, 2010

God tartrazine, sunset yellow and quinoloine yellow had my mum yelling at me in the 90s to check for e numbers in everything we ate and blaming everything on them as they gave me 'hyperactivity' I think I was just a child reacting to sugar which I had never really had.

My friends at school used to mock me for having carrot sticks and celery in my lunchbox when they had a Mars bar, crisps and a jam sandwich.

I remember one kid calling my lunch of ham slices, salad, an apple, some cucumber and a piece of cheese a 'poo poo mix' and throwing it on my lap.

Wow. School sucked. That's an ace lunch :(

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I just read about corkage fees and loving hell that made me angry. $100 to open my own wine? gently caress off. I'll drink at home. But then I think all restaurants and fine dining are a massive rip off scam and entirely exploit the chefs down to the servers so I'm probably not the target market.

Now to go spend another £400 on a piece of cooking equipment...

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My older sister used to tell me stories about making snakebite in a giant plastic bathtub for parties.

Later when I went to uni myself I tried a pint after several normal pints. It immediately made me violently ill and I spent about an hour leaning on a cubicle wall in the bar fly in Camden moaning and throwing up.

Never tried it since!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Actually of course their real innovation was convincing people to pay £1.50 for a drink that tastes like carbonated cough medicine. Follow the lead of this man and treat their pricing with the contempt it deserves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRF4uQG5W-k

(What they don't tell you is he's actually 27, that poo poo's not good for you)

I remember going to my first bar aged 16 in 1998 and finding out that a red bull and vodka with 1 shot of red bull and 1 shot of lovely cheap kirov vodka was £7.50 I had only brought a tenner and man that was such poo poo.
I went home and went to bed instead lol.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

winegums posted:

Death to the booziness of the UK. May it never return.

Here's to drinking at home on a comfy sofa with my wife and several cats instead.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

In conclusion. Being young was good at the time, but in retrospect dumb. Being an adult is ace. Now I sleep. Night goons!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Jesus Christ that must be like 15 quid today, what was the bar, the American Bar at the Savoy?

It was a bar called Telfords in Chester. It's still there!

I think they just knew we were underage and marked the hell up out of the drinks.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Matt Hancock is blaming 'affluent young people' for spreading the coronavirus now.

Articles showing people out eating, in the time of a pandemic! Doing exactly what the government told them to do. The horror!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Or just slowly slouch ever more and more over the course of the day in your chair, then slouch more in your chair all night to play video games and repeat until your spine is so bent that you look like a horseshoe.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I got yelled at by a bald pink man for not clapping in ASDA.

That's my story.

I've barely left my house since January. I spent the weekend building a hedgehog house as we saw one in the back garden.

I may have finally gone mad.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Dogatron I don't like telling people to gently caress off, but seriously, gently caress off with that snyde bullshit.

You seem to be trying to make a point about the middle class being overly concerned about low risk things, fine.

Being more long winded than Ronya in an attempt to look smart, then demanding people engage with you for some obscure measure of sympathy points after casually dropping into chat that you're a care worker... Fine. Irritating and overdone but whatever.

Then ending your posts with lovely insults to people who decided to engage with you... is just baffling? I don't get what you're trying to achieve, other than to get everyone to tell you you're a oval office and to gently caress off...

It seems like lovely trolling to me.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My constituency (sheffield South East) is deep labour, entirely in love with Kier and before him was on the Owen Jones train.

My mp is 70, voted for Iraq and honestly I never hear from him as the CLP and some other people do all the correspondence. I assume that's normal for ancient fossil blairite parachutes incase they open their mouths and a racism falls out in public.

I joined momentum, but my labour membership expires next month and I cancelled my dd when Kier won. I doubt I'll resub and I honestly don't know if I'd vote Labour again. Green doesn't even run here anymore. They got destroyed in 2017. Plus they're kinda poo poo as well.

It's just so... Despair inducing. I'll keep up with momentum and try to engage and signal boost left wing candidates but that's about all I can do. I don't know if there even is an answer to this evenings debate on the merits of holding your nose or saying gently caress you and the horse you rode in on.

gently caress you feels better for now though. If my wife survives the inevitable insulin shortage in a few years we'll see where we are. Otherwise I think I'll just go for a long walk.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

CRISP EMERGENCY! CRISP EMERGENCY!

https://twitter.com/m4tt/status/1308688871291596800

Genuinely pretty sad about this.

I have an entire desk drawer of roast beef and mustard brannigans stuck in my office since Feb. I had to go into work to get some equipment two days ago and a few things off my desk. I thought hell yeah I can get my brannigans stash. After signoff from the CEO I went in to find the receptionist had helpfully gone and got all my stuff and put it in sealed bags for me by the front door so I didn't have to risk any exposure. Lovely really, but dammit.

The crisps will have to wait until summer next year likely. Hope they're gonna still be good =( might be the last ones in the country!

E: ebay has them for £30 for box of 40. Worth it. I bought two boxes. gently caress it, its my birthday soon.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 24, 2020

Mebh
May 10, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

I made chilli sauce! It's a Trinidadian recipe with mango and lime. I used scotch bonnets and the sauce is extremely hot so there's a nice tension between the delicious flavour and your mouth catching fire.

You can't say that and not share the recipe!
I keep meaning to get back to fermented chilli sauces. I made some cracking ones in Spain from all the chillis I grew.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I'm upset and distressed by constantly reading her tweets. E: not really. Thread moved, she's just such a boring troll.

Also I shall vote in the NEC elections then kier can gently caress off and earn my money. If miraculously he turns around in a few years and has a decent set of policies sure. Until then, gently caress off, the money is going to my local animal shelter.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Uh. I may have gone too far.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

stev posted:

This is like scalpers getting all the PS5s. You'll make a mint.

I jokingly said that to the wife and she said "you're not using the goddamn beanie babie defense, I will stab you"

It's her birthday and she's diabetic. She grumpily ate a pack and glowered at me.

She's a good egg.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The bags of frozen bifteki during Greek week at lidl are loving ace.

Also the bins of shame in lidl and aldi full of random crap are awesome. It was a lot better Germany though.

Our local is asda and its pretty decent. Has a massive polish section now so I buy turkey kielbasa for scrambled eggs in the morning and some seriously good dill pickles that aren't sweet.

I keep meaning to pop one town over to morrisons and check out the BOGOFS my mum is always going on about but with covid I only really take the cart on foot, can't afford to go to a supermarket and wander about like a tourist like I used to.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I always used to fantasise as a kid about being "rich enough" to buy one of those massive snack tray things from Iceland they sell around Christmas.

I still have never even been in one. So to me Iceland is secret food nirvana.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

We have unlimited cards and our mates all have them too. It was a great way to get out of the house and go see our friends, especially as a lot of them don't drink so we'd generally go to the cinema every week and go for a meal somewhere.

That's never coming back as honestly if we can get the latest films at home we have a huge TV and a surround sound system and can cook better anyway so we'll just invite people over and split the ticket cost.

I feel a little sad as it was a way of life thing that we'd just gotten into in the last few years. (mostly because in the Netherlands we'd go see every terrible movie and get pissed on cheap beer then stagger home via a Syrian kebab place and it was awesome) but hey that's that.

Now if only I could convince cineworld to stop loving charging me for their unlimited cards... Bastards.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

Camrath, you and your fudge are awesome, and it genuinely made me well up when I saw your solidarity fudge post. This thread and the people in it are just the best.

This. Y'all are good eggs.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

loving weird day today.

Had the day off so I slept in. One of the Cats came in to visit me at 1130 so I slowly rolled out of bed after lazing around for an hour. Wife had been playing warframe since this time.

Walked downstairs with her and we heard one of our cats meowing in distress. But we couldn't see him. It sounded oddly distant.

I unlocked and opened the front door and there he was outside. We freaked out and did a cat check. One missing. The one who came in to try to get me up at 1130. More freaking out. Checked all the doors and windows, all locked.

Ran outside to look, nothing. Called neighbours and started a minor search party (she's a gorgeous orange fluffy tailless cat who's never been outside)

After walking around the neighbourhood for 30 min I swung down the road next to my house separated by a fence and heard her meow in the distance. Looked over the fence and she was sitting on the outside of the downstairs windowsill.

I leapt over the fence and she ran off round a corner and vanished. Finally found her after walking around with a food bowl shaking it and she ran back to the house herself.

Back to the matter at hand. All the doors and windows were sealed and we checked all the latches and locks. I was asleep, the wife was gaming. How the gently caress did two cats get outside and leave 3 other cats inside.

Either I slept walked for the first time in my life past my wife and let them out, or we didn't lock the front door and someone else opened it and let them out.

Or reality is a simulation and it lagged when I woke up and the cats spawn locations were offset. gently caress knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Quantum tunnelling.

https://improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume4/v4i2/cat.htm

Fortunately, this post also satisfies the requirement of either a number snipe or a catte tax without further input.

I gotta say by the way. I absolutely love your contributions to the thread :D