Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

Probably should take me off the CLP list (for Stroud) since I Dramatically Quit the Labour Party a few months back.

Hi fives for everyone with the good sense to no longer support the Labour Party financially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Borrovan posted:

When right-wingers complain about comedy being left-wing they usually mean "not openly bigoted" imo

but in this context it might instead mean "mildly critical of the status quo", which I think is actually all of it apart from the openly bigot stuff anyway?

There's going to be 15 new shows commissioned where the comic just screams that they identify as an attack helicopter over and over again between bawling "do I offend you snowflakes?", welcome to hell

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Breath Ray posted:

I was looking at becoming an mp but the labour party says you have to be a member for a year which is nearly £50. how far in advance of a general election do they announce the candidates?

Your frequent racism means you'll fit in quite well with the Labour right.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

That passes the smell test, what's your point?

A history of racist posting and not being tolerated in the thread. Lusting for the death of immigrants. Not welcome in the thread

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/sep/02/uk-house-prices-hit-record-high-after-easing-of-covid-lockdown

I'd quote the article but phone posting. How the gently caress is the housing bubble expanding in a pandemic?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Venomous posted:

This has nothing to do with anything, but Starmer is loving awful, isn't he

This is very true. He's the inevitable consequence of being so desperate to win that you end up creating the most bloodless, spineless non-entity, perfectly focus grouped to offend nobody, failing to notice that he also appeals to nobody.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Stamp duty is suspended and there are a ton of available properties, so it's a really good time to buy. We're looking to buy our first place at the moment which is great, what is less great is that the sister in law can't afford a full half mortgagr which is limiting our search, what's even less good is that the wife has started looking at properties in Swindon.

But if there's lots of available properties shouldn't prices go down? Something about supply & demand & Economics 101. Failing to pop the property bubble 20 years ago in its relatively early stages might actually be the biggest whiff of the New Labour years. Massive generational transfer of wealth from young to olds that just keeps getting worse. The only two ways I'll ever own a house is either winning the lottery or my parents dying. Now, in isolation I'm not massively fussed by this because I don't really think private home ownership is actually a positive (something about the difference between private property & personal property here), but in the society we live in, where rent takes up half or more of your monthly pay cheque? It's bad OP.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 2, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

loving soft ball delivery, "I know you're a compassionate person" & she still loving comes off like a monster.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Isomermaid posted:

I don't get the nostalgising for old timey bins.

The lids were great if you were doing a water fight coz it was a cheap & easy shield, even with a handle! Or sword fights. Well, pretend swords.

That's it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

communism bitch posted:

So I applied to do an MA at Leicester in June, heard nothing, finally managed to find somebody there who can answer a phone and they're like "oh we made a note to give you an offer but we forgot". And I still don't definitely know if I have a place and I'm due to start on Oct. 1st and I'm capping my jorts about it.

lol that is amazing amateur hour poo poo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Retweets with comments.

I love Twitter are just too stupid and allow this, freaking rules

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Angepain posted:

so uh the uk government is apparently pushing for polygraph tests? i was under the impression those were kind of bollocks

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1301257364067188738

Give Harry Cole a lie detector desk and just badger him about how much of a worm he is to do so much work for the guy who stole his girlfriend

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

See I still don't understand why it was so easy for the right to regain control. Did the left massively gently caress up (beyond losing the election) or was this always going to happen?

A chunk of the left gave up. They decided that after 4 & a half years that "electability" was more important than "ideological purity". Unfortunately electability has thus far not proven to actually be electable, who knew? (Me, I knew, I loving told everyone) And so after that fracture in the left vote a lot of people decided they can't support Labour because it's infested with liberal politicians who will never stop sabotaging the left so why loving bother? And those people are right.

gently caress off already.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

is Breath Ray the one who kept parroting UKIP talking points on how immigration was bad because it would put strain on the NHS

I get all my driveby trolls mixed up sometimes

That's about the sum of it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1301633291615907842?s=20

Stupid oval office didn't even have the courage of Mike Gapes. What a little worm. Clear breach of party rules, get him to gently caress.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Also think we really need to step back & consider that somehow that stupid press event was actually rehearsed & was still dogshit. Geniuses.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Who the gently caress drinks five coffees a day every day you'd loving die in a week.

My mum.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I definitely have to acquire an illegal copy of this book at some point, if I can be bothered.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Who the gently caress are all these people sitting around on gofundme waiting to shovel cash at these rando dickheads?

It boggles the mind.

Dunno but I really feel like I need to get in on this poo poo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mebh posted:

I used to make Mars bar and skittles vodka all the time. Man. I think I'm going to make some next week.

MARS BAR VODKA? That sounds like it'd make you boke

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

uuuuuggghhhhhhhh my head is killing me

What's everyone's favourite hangover cure, gimme

Never stop drinking.

Alternatively, Irn Bru.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jose posted:

I yelled at Dan Hodges earlier on twitter

Is there a better way to start the day?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jose posted:

I saw you had also yelled at him

The only reason in favour of living in London is so I could find out where Dan lives and yell at him IRL

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

bump_fn posted:

what’s wkd

An alcopop. Like Smirnoff Ice. Sort of thing that seems to have gone out of fashion these days

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

crispix posted:

I haven't drunk since March and I plan to stay off it 4life. It is really no good for you if you are prone to mental health problems

Definitely. I haven't cut it out completely but after a spell of being very poor I went a long time without much, occasional glass of wine or whisky when I visited the folks. I was very much a binge drinker and it had gone hand in hand with my worse self-harm attempts.

Now I just don't buy vodka and mostly stick to whisky when I want to drink because a bottle at £35 to £40 is too expensive to want to not savour.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SpaceCommie posted:

Lidl single malt is ~£18 and actually quite good.

Yeah, but then it's an effort question. I have a Morrisons & Tesco on the way home, I have to go walk 30 minutes from the town centre to get to Lidl. Does Lidl do just the one malt or do they have a Speyside, Highland, Islay etc? Coz I like them all but sometimes you're in the mood for something that tastes like an ashtray & sometimes you want something almost like water (hyperbole but Dalwhinnie is really smooth).

Ok, i answered my own question, they have a malt from each of the major styles/regions, & their Islay is apparently a delight. So I guess maybe I should be less lazy & actually go to Lidl one of these days.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Breath Ray posted:

I wonder about German 'compliance' with this sort of thing given the emissions scandal

gently caress off already, nobody cares what you think

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'm probably the only person in the thread who still uses retail shops. Anyway, waiting for the bus home I decided to pop into Game as it's the father's birthday coming up in a week. They had moved it. Now Game has moved inside Sports Direct, a natural fit.

Did Mike Ashley just buy up Game when I wasn't looking?

Inverness High Street is such a graveyard now

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

floofyscorp posted:

Yep. Happened last summer.

Well that explains a lot

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

You get no payments for August? That's hosed

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What the gently caress is the point of Starmer

Edit: this was in regards to PMQs, but i guess is broadly applicable

Controlled opposition

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Oh dear me posted:

Oh, I assumed twisto's apparent zeal for button-pushing was a London thing. Here in Cornwall I feel selfish pushing the button, when I could just wait a little longer for a proper gap and not stop traffic for so long.

I like to push the button and then immediately cross at the first opportunity because drivers are selfish assholes and deserve it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Cycling is a symptom of mental illness

gently caress off you boring twat

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Isomermaid posted:

His sister is Emilia Fox off of Silent Witness, who is a FOAF and apparently lovely, which at least in comparison seems legit

I noticed there is absolutely bollockloads of Silent Witness on the iPlayer so I've started watching that & it's quite fun. I think it's everything from season 4 onwards? Cheery episode about a helicopter going down in the North Sea.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

And the Treaty of Cateau-Cambrésis gave it back.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/LabourRichard/status/1304091009815465985?s=20

It rules that we've gotten to a point where I'm genuinely surprised & impressed to see Scottish Labour supporting striking workers.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Especially when every non-SCG Labour MP throw themselves into hedges to avoid commenting whenever the Tower Hamlets Council strikes come up.

(TLDR because I covered it in the last thread - Labour Council and Mayor seek to insource a load of services (yay) but to do so attempt to force a load of staff onto inferior contracts, leading to the rather spiffy sight of the local politicians who are the direct political descendants of the Matchgirl and London Dockers strikers trying to explain how unions are bad, actually, backed up by everyone's favourite bootlicker union, the GMB - the fact that the situation in Scotland is almost the exact opposite is somehow fitting)

It's probably easier to support the strikers when it is an SNP council, but part of me suspects this is Leonard stretching his muscles to show he's still leader. He was also pretty high up in the Scottish GMB at one point so that's another point.

But all that said it is still more than I expect. As you say, the national party leadership certainly wouldn't chat about it, never mind positively. What I'd like to see is this used for a launching point to a discussion about the mere concept of strike action being "illegal" being a particularly nasty Victorian concept that belongs in the dustbin of history with the 12 hour day and child labour. But that's probably wishful thinking

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dogatron posted:

children are working around the world right now and I have worked longer days than 12 hours

It aint history..

Yes, I've worked 13 hour shifts too, but I was adequately compensated with time off, I wasn't doing it 6 days a week and I suspect you weren't either.

Don't be a pedant. It's dull.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

Awwwwwwwww

Its a Laurence fox joke

Was so weird when I saw this. Did not expect Streeting to have a sense of humour

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

Ive found the SNP have been exposed as much more competent communicaters but essentially a pretend government.

Most of the job of modern Liberal government is producing content for media and they are a lot better at that.
But every step of the roni road has had nicola announcing bojos own policies either shortly before or afterwards as if they were part of her own, better articulated plan.

Given the NHS is one of the few things the SNP supposedly demand control over, the Scottish government's lack of agency is worrying.
If the nationalists were serious about running the country they would be using this disaster as proof Scotland desperately needs devolution as a matter of emergency and they'd have been doing it since April.

As is I am getting the creeping feeling they are happy with the current arrangement where they get the job, attention (theyr on scottish TV a lot) and pension without the responsibility or workload.
Which is absolutely how scotlab seems to have been regarding delegating power to English Labour, is why I thought of it.

It imo explains also why after indie ref failed they didn't start gunning for devo max and just went right to another ref.
This state of affairs seems to suit them fine.

I think a lot of that is true but I think the notion the SNP aren't entirely sincere about wanting Scottish independence is beyond laughable. A reach so far you're liable to scald yourself on the surface of the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

That is such a bad premise for an article on multiple levels so well done to Paul.