Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Nilbop posted:

Watching the English Left cannibalize itself every election cycle (or even every half-cycle) has been one of the few constants in these crazy times.

I agree that "the English Left cannibalize itself every election cycle" is the message to take away from the murder of Jo Cox and the subsequent shift to the right to appease the kind of people who murdered her. When the left fails, it's the left's fault. When the right kill it's political enemies in broad daylight, it's also the left's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Another friend has posted a big pic of piles of poppies and says "we're now into the 2 week Remembrance period in Britain". Since when did it become a 2 week period?

It has always been 2 weeks. We have always been at war with Eastasia.

(I know 1984 references are a cliche now, but you teed me up so perfectly.)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Major corporations outflanking the government to the left sure seems par for the course of 2020.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The real trick is getting good gravy. Because turkey exists purely as a vector for gravy delivery.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

They mix to a nice pink thing thats almost a kebab shop burger sauce, honestly I'd dip a chip or 2 in it.

That, plus some onion relish, is what 90% of burger sauces are.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Reminds me of my mum's idea of a 'gotcha' from a few days ago: I said "The US have bombed other countries relentlessly since WW2. Even Obomba managed to run 26000 bombing raids in one year."
Mother - "US aren't bombing anyone. Who have they bombed this year?"
Me - "I don't recall off hand, I'll google"
Mother - gives me 'gotcha - if it's not on the BBC it isn't happening' look. (Why do right wingers think it's such a 'gotcha' if you don't have every fact on every politics related topic in the universe immediately to hand?)

It's the Gish Gallop, one of their favourite rhetorical devices. Just drown their opponent in tangential questions to make them look ineffective and badly informed.

The right have discovered they never need to play defense. Throw everything at the wall, never admit they're wrong, and eventually people will just forget about it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

And now we can go back to the political issues of our own: The size of Gary Sambrook's dinners.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah I think you're onto something here. Seems like the Tories used to be "gently caress the poor, but if you're middle to upper class we'll make sure you're alright" and it seems there's been a bit of a switch to "We will look after our donors and our close personal friends and anybody who will directly get in on the grift with us, but everybody else can get hosed". And somehow people are still loving eating it up? Pair anything with "You're being attacked by foreigners!" and you can get people from all backgrounds to buy in, I suppose.

Nothing has changed. The Tories never cared about the middle class, they're just less subtle about it now.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Typical exclusion of the silent majority who have been lobbying for a 'turn around' option for years.

It'd fit, given how every now and then it falls apart.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

jabby posted:

So what cities do the people here actually like, and why? Because making GBS threads on Leicester can come off as a mite snobbish, especially considering its relatively low average income and high non-white population. Perhaps you should explain what you actually want out of your local area.

Glasgow is the best city in the UK.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Can we scientifically prove it's not because of Carlgon's presence?

Miasma theory except it's down to the continued presence of that prick.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yup, mine went out for about 20 minutes. Might be due to all those new PS5s getting hooked up and downloading a bunch at the same time.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I wonder why Edinburgh have fallen short then. Because they have all the criteria on the face to do just as well. Guess it's just intertia by this point.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

London drawn it's own border, the M25. If you didn't want a gobshite like me who's never set foot in England further south than Donington telling you what your borders are, you shouldn't have built a ring road.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, landlords in the US will demand to know your credit score before renting to you etc.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm so glad my family have unanimously agreed we're dishing presents to each other out of car windows then going home.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Anyone who takes the negative offer on The Chase deserves a blindfold, a cigarette and a wall.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ricky Gervais was good when he had Stephen Merchant there with a red pen to score out vast amounts of the absolute garbage Ricky writes.

Derek is maybe the worst TV show of the past 20 years. I honestly thought it was a parody at first, but no, it really does take itself seriously.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Right, it was so loving saccharine and syrupy while he's doing That Face, I was convinced it had to be a pisstake, especially coming off Extras being so self-aware.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This is why Futurama is the best sitcom.

Close but it's not King of the Hill, the actual best sitcom ever made.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah this was basically me. I thought "Well, I don't know enough to make a good decision on this right now" but then it was the loving chancers and grifters arguing for Brexit which convinced me it could only be a bad thing. Dan Hannan in particular just talking utter, utter shite, very early on made me think "No, it's complete bollocks, anyone with half a brain can see that you're talking poo poo".

Likewise. I didn't know enough to articulate my position on it one way or the other, but looking at the absolute shower of pricks who were all for leaving made my mind up for me, in a "anything they want can't be good" fashion.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Glaswegian summer is the best day of the year.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, when someone says southside, I think of stuff like Shawlands, Govanhill and Mt Florida.

Although Ibrox isn't near Queens Park and that's obviously VERY southside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

can we add Laurence Fox to the Weetman embargo list already

Please. By this point, it's not even low hanging fruit, it's just spoiled, bruised fruit rotting on the ground.

524 is a deficient number, that is to say 524 is a natural number that is strictly larger than the sum of its proper divisors, i.e., the divisors of 524 without 524 itself.