Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"We only have 'til 10, better get munted quickly" is an entirely british outlook, in line with the previous "Better meet in a large group now, before they ban it for being incredibly unsafe."

Surprised Ireland hasn't introduced this actually, we switched to 10pm off licence hours years ago, no pandemic required (just the weirdly powerful lobbying of the Vintners Federation of Ireland)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Glad you're back from mod tyranny FI.

:hai:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1309500528951545861?s=19

Lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I'm pretty sure I also saw Will Haven open for One Minute Silence in 1999 in a tiny little venue whose name escapes me in Birmingham

I also saw Will Haven supporting Deftones. Not sure if they had an existence independent of Deftones. And my band supported One Minute Silence at some point, IIRC they were not that sound. Never got to see Dennis Skinner live tho

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

SinoVac vaccine should be ready by February or March next year. :toot:

137 is the inverse of the fine-structure constant and also significant in Feynman's conjecture.

A slide I saw on Friday from SOURCES suggests in fact Pfizer will be the first to 150 events, and theyve had the fastest recruitment. The mRNA-ness of their thing might give them a production handicap though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I've been expecting that one of the US ones would get approval first, so that they can plant the flag first and win at Operation Warp Speed :911:

I've also been expecting/hoping that the SinoVac one will be first to mass vaccinate people who need it. Possibly not with the noblest of intentions, given the empire building in Africa, but you know Trump (or Biden for that matter) isn't going to let any of the delicious BNT162s off of US soil.

Well Pfizer have deals with the UK and CAN at least, although they're probably as rock-solid as a Brexit Withdrawal Agreement.

Agreed with the point on Chinese altruism-as-imperialism though - maybe they'll loan a few hundred million doses in exchange for seaports and pipeline rights

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1310496662578761728?s=19

The EU is resisting being dragged into a tunnel by Johnson

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That's cause he's a oval office, op

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Spangly A posted:

western europe not UK, defined with a population of 480m, so 14m would be just under 3% population coverage.

There have been some pieces in the guardian where a few researchers suggested that maybe London and some other big cities with anomalous current infection rates might have hit double figures, but the articles themselves were really stretching what the academics were actually saying they knew vs hypothetical explanations

14m is probably a pretty reasonable number for total UK infections, taking into account that at least 70k have died of COVID, and true IFR is probably max 0.5-1%.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
IFR is a wide range really , CEBM had a paper recently showing IFR declining from .75% to .25% across the summer. I think 1% is probably a very conservative upper-bound (in a health system that hasn't just completely collapsed), and 70k is probably a very conservative lower-bound for COVID deaths, so total infections of 7m is a conservative minimum. But I think that range of uncertainty is easily broad enough for the real number to be 2x that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I love when a tweet answers its own question

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Miftan posted:

I frequently argue with loud grandas

Are you a woman posting an opinion on Twitter?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dead Goon posted:

Aren't fabric softeners hydrophobic and stop towels functioning as towels?

Yep.

Also, a good post OzyMandrill. Weird to think that these sea-vent beasties led to both good washing powder and the enzymes essential for the genetic engineering era of biology

knox_harrington posted:

and the hobs in the accommodation were disabled because Serco weren't making enough money out of privates on £16k a year.

While the grift here is obvious, my grim 18 months as a campus RA convinced me that drunk students should not have any access to hobs. Fire and smoke damage was a constant theme.

(It was the closest I will ever come to an authoritarian position and it sucked, but at least I developed a system of not shutting down parties in exchange for a beer. Miniscule power corrupts minisculely)

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 29, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

If you lived in catered halls you missed out on interesting people like my flatmate from Oman who at home had seven sisters who did all the housework and had never cooked so much as a cup of tea before in his life. His technique for cooking frozen meatballs was to heat up about an inch of oil in a pot, stand well back from the hob and toss them in, still frozen, resulting in huge explosions of oil all over the kitchen (that he never cleaned up). Other culinary innovations included his famous boiled whole chicken, eaten with no seasoning or sides, and boiled lettuce in milk.

My PhD program had a few female Saudi students, the interesting bit was that the Saudi government would also subsidise a male relative to move over and chaperone their entire lives, paying them tens of thousands for the privilege. These dudes seemed invariably to be complete failsons who just wanted to get wasted and play videogames, while disapproving of anything the women wanted to do that wasn't cooking them dinner after a day in the lab.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Private Speech posted:

Having dated one it can't quite be all of them, although there were visits by relatives and whatnot.

Of course then again there's the death penalty to think of. Though IIRC when I last looked online something like a third of saudi women in the US have a non-muslim partner, but then, well, I don't quite know how that works.

Theocracies (official or functional) leave something to be desired. Not that that's even directly based on quran.

I assume it depends on different countries visa provisions. Just anecdotal chat anyway, I'm not trying to make any more definitive point than "theocracy weird", or maybe "patriarchy will always allow failsons to rise to the top"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't sausage meat kinda particularly dangerous because the grinding process introduces a lot of bacteria all the way through it?

Each of us is a holobiont, we contain multitudes. If you support open borders but are against introducing new prokaryotic species into your "body" then you are practising eukaryotic supremacism and are a massive hypocrite at the micron scale

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Skeletome posted:

yaaaay I'm being made redundant

Thank god I got jobhunting a couple of weeks back.

It wont go into effect until the 30th Oct as we're on consultation, and I've been there 5+ years so I'm hoping for a meaty notice & statutory payout

Lowtax alt detected.

J/k, sorry to hear that mate, hoping you get a fat wad of cash that you can spaff on vidya

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I'd still rather they be included in and allowed to contribute to society while awaiting a decision rather than be corralled away like some sort of aberration.

You may rather that, but sadly it seems the majority of the UK would choose literal annihilation before they'd countenance a forrin getting a benefit

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

What is 7210836? A central London local phone number?

Can someone give him a ring?

I ran it through the Zodiac killer cypher and it came out as "PISSFLAPS"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Marmaduke! posted:

I can't believe I haven't seen the dancing funeral gif even once yet today

I'm building a rapid response gif folder for Trump Death Day - we got Ghanaian funeral guys, crab dance, M Bison rejoicing. All your favourites are here!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobstar posted:

What happens if a candidate dies right before the election? That sounds chaotic to me.

The Meme Wars grow hot

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

That at least sounds like it would either put an end to hyperpartisan politics or become hilarious in short order.

This happened with Jefferson being VP to John Adams after narrowly losing in 1796. I'm sure it wasn't as wacky as implied in the hit musical Hamilton, but I'm pretty sure they hated each other as much as two aristocrats can.

E: actually I just looked it up, apparently Adams shouting out Jefferson as his last words (they died on the same day) was because they became homies again, not lifetime enemies :shrug:

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 2, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Did MDMA and the rave scene prevent meth getting a foothold over here?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

justcola posted:

dozens of brickies staying in travel lodges across the country hosed out of their heads on poo poo coke as they get shipped about for different jobs. The videos from those WhatsApp groups are horrendous)

Story time?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gonzo McFee posted:

They'll do what literally every massive company does, borrow so much money that they aren't allowed to lose all their money.

this is how I bankrupted Wonga.com

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Look they're just a club, one that has initiations involving lots of straight guys tickling each other, and that forbids talking to women, and only allows masturbation once a month, I've no idea where the idea it's full of people with incredibly hosed up repressed sexuality comes from.

If you can think of a better way to charge the massive JO Crystal that powers their secret clubhouse I'd like to hear it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/LGBTCons/status/1312429120287059970?s=19

#WhyAreTheyDoingThis

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

1965917 posted:

So it turns out the test and trace system missed 16,000 covid cases because our "world beating" system runs on loving EXCEL!

https://twitter.com/search?q=Excel&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

Guys it is not hard to spin up a sql database what the hell are they doing!?

Everything runs on excel. My pharma job has lots of fancy visualisation platforms, and machine learning thingies, but most of the day to day work I get done with some VLOOKUP and conditional formatting

E: while forumsposting

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

1965917 posted:

Naa I'm sorry this is just awful, just because other companies do it for much smaller amounts of data doesn't make it ok.

I guarantee the data I'm talking about is larger than any COVID tracking database, probably by an order of magnitude. I'm not saying it's OK, it's just funny. Wouldn't honestly surprise me if humanity is wiped out by a malevolent AI triggered by an unclosed parenthesis formula in cell AAABX276355

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Or even JFK. that's well beyond the "asking questions" stage, the official narrative makes no sense and falls apart under any scrutiny.

Well-intentioned graph with poor execution

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Doccykins posted:

i bet they did patient per column because they couldn't find the switch axis option when building charts out of the data

Depressingly plausible

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Communist Thoughts posted:

My understanding of the deep state is its just the part of the state that doesn't change after elections. So almost all of it

This is the entirety of it, yes. Other interpretations mean you are letting Q seep into your brain

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Copy_of_Track_Trace1_thisone.xlsx

This, but every person who works on it apoends their initials to the filename, stretching off to infinity. Also every now and then an extra "Copy_of_" gets added to the start.

I will kill

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hmmm no.

Worth noting that both the Confederate states and ISIS make the cut, but UK is not a notable enough world power to feature

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Also nazis are not fascists and are in fact internationalist communists.

Yes, but this was already confirmed by some of our finest horseshoe theoretical physicists

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I also want to register my complaint at Italy, Ireland, and Mexico for using flags that are too similar.

One of my favourite Twitter things is fake Irish Republicans using the Cote d'Ivoire flag. It's a good flag though, much love to my tricoloured brethren

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:perfect:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

knox_harrington / Failed Imagineer pls confirm/deny whether this is worth a go

This is the one simple trick that BigPharma doesn't want you to learn about

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kin posted:

Cool, she's come out with "online lists" now, so at the very least sounds like our cupboards are at least gonna be overflowing with pasta and coffee.

My diet is primarily high protein based (porridge, milk and meat like chicken/beef, tuna etc) so it's not like i can really stockpile any of that kind of stuff for short term disruption unless unless i buy a deep freezer.

You could get a nice bag of chocolate smooth whey from myprotein for yourself, and just cut the meat out of your diet entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

Still not seeing the downside, put me down for a selection box

Your balls will hurt/shrink, your tits will hurt/grow.

E: unless you're a goonette, in which case your tits will hurt/shrink and your balls ???