Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

I think the idea is that the brita filter supposedly makes cheap poo poo vodka taste like good vodka though I can't say I understand why, you can't filter things in solution that I'm aware of.

OK So I have both read into this and done it before.

The difference between cheap vodka and good vodka is mainly how many times it is distilled and how filtered it is. The ideal vodka is just pure ethanol and water. This is why Smirnoff says right on the bottle "Triple distilled, 10x filtered". They (mostly) filter vodka through charcoal which removes impurities and brita filters are just charcoal filters.

In my experience, it does work. I have tasted side by side unfiltered and filtered lovely cheap vodka and you can tell the difference. The sweet spot is to run it through a filter 4-5 times.

Fake edit: I agree with Coolcab. Oh and yeah you can use the same filter for at least a couple of litres of vodka (running each through 4-5 times) but you won't want to use it for water again once you've used it for booze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

My hangover cure used to be these massive wedge sandwich thingies Tesco did - they were a big thick triangle of bread with cheese and salad in the middle (or was it a ploughmans?), it was probably about a third of a loaf of normal bread - plus ready-salted hula hoops and a big strawberry or banana milkshake.

I figured the bread would soak up some of the alcohol (probably no basis for this), salt and carbs to help with electrolytes and energy, and fatty milkshake to settle the stomach and also rehydrate.

Dunno if the science is sound but it did always make me feel better. Thankfully haven't really had a proper hangover in the last 7 or 8 years - I've calmed down a bit since meeting my wife - for the best.

In more serious posting, I just found out my Mum has cancer. Ovarian cancer that they think has spread to her liver, and possibly her bowel. She said she's been in bed for a month with no appetite. She just found out on Wednesday - I don't know if she held off getting a doctor's appointment because of covid or what - she'd been shielding because she's been a smoker for 45 years (though switched to vaping for the last 5 or something years) and has had pneumonia requiring hospitalisation a couple of times in the past. She's 67 in a few weeks so not terribly old. She's getting an MRI scan on Wednesday and will know more then, but obviously news so far is not encouraging.

My wife's Dad just got treatment for cancer recently - bowel cancer which thankfully they found really early on. He had some radiotherapy which didn't work and then had to have a section of bowel removed and a stoma put in. I think we got really lucky with the timing there because it was all right before covid - his operation was already scheduled before lockdown started and carried out a few weeks after. He seems to be doing OK.

It's poo poo. Proper poo poo. Don't think I'm gonna realistically be able to get back to see her because there's a 2-week quarantine rule in both Canada and the UK plus just generally I don't want to risk getting covid or spreading it to other people. I've been trying to prepare myself for my parents getting sick for a while now, because like I said, they're lifelong smokers, but I don't think it's helped.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Goldskull posted:

How did that work out for them? It'd just turn into riot foam, especially if the lemonades from a mixers gun.

I had some woman ask me for a mixture of Guinness & coke in a half glass and I just told her to order something else. Her answer was 'but I drink it all the time in my local!' I somehow doubt that. 'JD & coke?' There you go!

Other stupid drink orders from throughout the years:
'Double Jagermeisters!'
'Red wine & coke', although I've met a few people who'll drink that now, back in the 90s I thought they were taking the piss.
'A shot of Angostura bitters'. No mixer, no chaser. Nope.
'What soft drinks do you have?' (a list of standard soft drinks is reeled off) '2 pints Raspberry juice!'
'A baby Guinness' (gets served a half Guinness) 'What is this?' What did you actually want? 'It's a cocktail shot you prick!' Get out.

Don't start me on people in Yorkshire asking for a pint of 'Mickey Mouse'. This could be anything from a bitter/mild mix, a mix of 2 different bitters, half bitter/half Guinness to half lager/half bitter and it was stupid.

One of my mates invented a "cocktail" of Port and Red Bull. Actually surprisingly nice but you don't want more than one.

Also here in Canada I asked for a shandy, had to explain that it was lager and lemonade half and half... only apparently "lemonade" in a bar context here means like, lemon bitters. It was not good. Not like, undrinkably bad though so we did drink it.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

feedmegin posted:

Try asking for Sprite next time. I assume Canada does the US thing where lemonade isn't carbonated and instead has actual lemons in.

Yeah we straightened it out. You have to ask for sprite... but then sprite isn't really the same as a Schweppes or an R-Whites lemonade.

I've just done a search and ended up on the Wikipedia page for Shandy.

Apparently a "Diesel" is a thing in Belgium, Italy, German and Portugal and is a draft beer mixed with cola.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Help keep centrist piss boiling:

https://twitter.com/WorldCup_of_MPs/status/1302885629316001793?s=20

(Dawn, obviously)

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

peanut- posted:

https://www.2ndhnd.com/

Bought a Steelcase Leap from these guys a few years ago and it's great. When I got it it was impossible to tell that it wasn't brand new (I doubt it had ever actually been used).

Seconding these guys. They are excellent. We bought like 8x Humanscale Freedom high-back chairs with headrests from them for £150 each (absolute bargain, they go for like £600+ new) and they were all in really good shape - they buy old office furniture in job lots and reupholster/refurbish it.

I think the reason we got them for that price was because we were buying 8, though.

Still, they have the ones without headrest for £159 and they are *truly excellent* chairs. I highly, highly recommend them. They are extremely adjustable and are rated as "24 hour" chairs.

https://www.2ndhnd.com/products/humanscale-freedom-med-back-chair-new-grey-fabric?_pos=3&_sid=9d233a14f&_ss=r

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

chestnut santabag posted:

They've since then adjusted the epicentre to be much closer to Milton Kenyes:

Oh nice, that's like, 3km from where I used to work.

With any luck, the place has been swallowed by the earth.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Problem is as a manager you're put in a lovely position by the higher ups.

If you're offered to be a manager in a job like, say, software development, where you might already be earning 50 or 60k it's easy enough to turn down, because you're likely already living comfortably, and I know people who've done this because they didn't want the responsibility. If you're working at somewhere poo poo, like a retail, fast food place, or numerous other places like small offices etc. you're probably paid like poo poo in the first place, and you might only get like 2 quid an hour more but it's often both:

a) Enough money to make a difference (2 quid an hour on top of 8 or 10 quid an hour as a base level worker is a significant percentage increase) and
b) The only way of advancement (and pay increase).

Plus, if you turn it down, well the company might have to hire someone else from outside the business, who will then be in charge of you, who, being hired directly into a middle-manager position, is likely to be an arsehole. Also sometimes in shittier workplaces, if you turn down a managerial position, you can eventually get fired because the higher-ups feel like you've wronged them, or it brings into question your work ethic, or whatever.

So like, mostly people who end up in middle manager jobs are not really suited to it, don't really want to be managing other people, but can't really turn it down.

So now you've found yourself a manager of a small team - maybe just a couple of people, and now it's you who has to answer to the higher ups if your department/team doesn't get the work done. Also it's very often the case that the manager doesn't spend all of their time managing, it's just that you're doing exactly the same work as the people you manage, but you're also responsible for co-ordinating and making sure that the desired volume of work gets done and maybe some other admin-type stuff. So if people under you are slacking, you have to pick up the slack of doing the actual work, AND you're responsible to the higher-ups for these other people's behaviour.

I've made a lot of suppositions here and I don't necessarily know what CB's sitch is exactly, but I don't *necessarily* think he's being an office Nazi or whatever. It sounds to me like CB's colleagues might be being uncomradely.

As a more general point though I don't think that AMAB - they often are but quite often I think it's just a lovely position they're forced into by capitalism. We're all in precarious positions, until you're at the point where you're ready to retire and you've got enough of a pension or savings or whatever that you don't ever have to worry about working anymore - and it feels like many of us will never get to that point.

There are other ways to handle things in CB's situation but if, as I suspect, CB is just barely elevated above his colleagues then again it's a lovely position where you assume all of the responsibilities of managing people without having any real authority over them, often because if you tried to assert authority over them it would just sour the whole team dynamic.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

blunt posted:

Even if I accepted all of those suppositions as valid, none of them seem to be solved by skipping lunch just to gently caress with your employees.

Don't gently caress with your employees. If you need to discipline them, discipline them. If you need to help/train them, do that. Don't play mind games with them.

We're too late into capitalism, but a lot of this could have been solved by "don't pay people who organise the work more than people who do the work".

As somebody else already said, "loving with your employees" in this case means "not letting them freely bunk off for half an hour".

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

This is informing... mainly the LD result.

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1304512260237332481?s=20

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, kids still transmit the disease, they just don't tend to show symptoms. Hence why piling them back into schools is such an insanely risky thing to do.

And isn't it also the case that even for kids, and even for cases without symptoms, it can still totally gently caress your heart (and other organs?) up?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Payndz posted:

69 is a number with no humorous connotations whatsoever.

69 is the weed number.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Julio Cruz posted:

I guess people who commute in on Monday morning, stay in a cheap hotel, and go home Friday evening? because Plymouth to Paddington is >3 hours so I can't imagine anyone's doing that both ways daily

Also maybe people who work jobs such that they only need to be in the office/on site 2 or 3 days a week. I can see it being manageable like that. Still a ball-ache.

I have a mate who runs a business doing computery networking stuff in Manchester but some of his big clients are in London, so he regularly travels there by train. I'm not sure if it's on the scale of a couple of times a week but I guess maybe he could be classed as a commuter?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jedit posted:

TIL that not everyone has realised Ankh-Morpork is explicitly based on the City of London.

I mean, somewhat. It's based on 18th-19th century World Cities which includes elements of London.

quote:

In The Art of Discworld Pratchett explains that the city is similar to Tallinn and central Prague, but adds that it has elements of 18th-century London, 19th-century Seattle and modern New York City.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/doublehelix/status/1305908576188334080?s=20

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

There's another one:

https://twitter.com/WorldCup_of_MPs/status/1306262089233825792?s=20

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

I continually enjoy that keir starmer is apparently not even a consideration in these polls, being apparently less popular than failed deputy candidates.

He went out in group 3 to Dawn Butler and Philippa Whitford (SNP), so literally yes you are correct :

https://twitter.com/WorldCup_of_MPs/status/1280834040904536065?s=20

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Just had a look at the results of that "World Cup of MPs" on twitter.

Semi finals are done and...

The final will be JC, Dawn Butler, Caroline Lucas and Alison Thewliss (SNP), so not a single Tory in the final :D

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

It's great when politicians just declare what people want and therefore it must be so.

There was just an article about this.

https://twitter.com/LabGrassroots/status/1306591400767651840?s=20

It's quite good. Same thing I've been saying for a while essentially - The Right know they need to control the narrative to win, that's why they have the media bought up. Corbyn knew you need to control the narrative, too. Starmer is just trying to place himself in the exact position polling says he should be in, but in doing so he cedes ground to the Tory narratives against immigration, BLM, etc. etc.

OwlFancier posted:

Would be nice if dawn won it, though JC/DB splitting the vote and someone else winning would be the most appropriate outcome.

Nah, doubt it'll happen. The person organising the twitter account seems to have tried hard to split the left vote a few times and it hasn't worked. JC will absolutely win, he's had twice the votes of anybody else in every round he's been in, pretty much. I'm not so confident Dawn will get 2nd but I hope so, I'd say there's a decent chance.

Of course it doesn't matter one bit, just a bit of fun, but we should take every opportunity to boil centrist piss we can get.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I haven't done a great great deal of reading on Chernobyl or watched the TV show or anything but I would guess like... 5?

Similarly for Fukushima.

E: OK so looks like 31 for Chernobyl and maybe 1 guy directly attributable to Fukushima (lung cancer, 7 years later).

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 18, 2020

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Relevant to current discussion:
https://twitter.com/s8mb/status/1006251576447635456?s=20

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

kingturnip posted:

My experience over the last couple of weeks is that probably 50% of people are actually bothering to wear a mask properly on public transport.
I'd say around 25% don't wear a mask at all and 25% have it covering their mouth but not their nose.

Cab's up near Scotland though so maybe that's it.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/sir_dward/status/1306715734559653889?s=20

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah. This guy DMed me in response to saying something about how Corbyn was not antisemitic:

In other news:

https://twitter.com/DurstApologist/status/1307019626161885190?s=20

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/WorldCup_of_MPs/status/1307952754443333633?s=20

I know this doesn't matter a toss, but still.

Corbs has a comfortable lead at the moment, at 47% to Rosena's 32.2%. Dawn is in last with 5.3% so people could probably vote for Dawn.

E: Dial 105 for the electricity helpline if you have a power cut.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Red Oktober posted:

Try tweeting @unblock_list this

edit: nevermind, twitter suspended the account.

The lists above (landlords, grimsby etc) aren't the same - the blocklists are imported by people and private.

Yeah so just to expand a little on this, twitter lists are lists compiled by users, so you can have lists like "People I know IRL" and put your friends and family on there, then go and view a feed of only those people, or e.g. people relevant to your local area (so maybe your councillors, local news etc.). Some arseholes use them and create lists like "Cucks" or some poo poo. If you get put on one of those you can just block the list creator and it'll remove you (even if you quickly block and unblock you'll be removed).

Blocklists are(were?) a separate thing, so you'd go to some website like Block Together (which doesn't currently seem to be working) and search for a blocklist with "TERF" in the title, and you might find a big, curated list of TERF accounts. Sometimes the blocklists are run by a single person or I think some might be run by groups, and often there's also a twitter account associated with it so you can "report" users to the twitter account (again not actually anything officially to do with twitter, it's a people-powered thing) who may then add people to the blocklist. You then "subscribe" to a blocklist, sign in on the website through twitter and allow it access to your account, and bam, you've blocked thousands of TERFs immediately and you'll continue to block new ones as they pop up, provided they get noticed by the person running a blocklist.

So you could for example set one up and ban everybody you see with a British flag in their twitter handle, and we could all sign up to it and have those people blocked for us.

Some blocklists can be a bit overzealous though. I signed up for one and suddenly lost like 30 followers because they were on a TERF list. I have no idea who they were but given that my account bio has "Trans Ally" in I suspect at least a few of them weren't actually TERFs.

As it is for Frankie Boyle though, I think he's just generally a bit block-happy. He blocked me for a very mild comment I made on one of his tweets. Didn't even call him a oval office.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Guavanaut posted:

"When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses not zebras" is perhaps the simplest way to explain it while capturing the spirit.

There's a few horse riders around here, and sometimes they even escape off of farms, I had a surreal experience one day a few years back where a dozen escaped horses just ran across a road and through the village streets, and no more was spoken about it, so I wouldn't be making many assumptions. It's possible that it could be zebras by some sequence of events, but each event needs its own added assumption that can be falsified.

I think another thing to realise about Occam's Razor is that it's not necessarily about arriving at the correct answer, it's about rejecting unnecessary hypotheses. *Generally* if you hear hoofbeats you're better off to assume it's horses (unless you live in Africa where zebra live or you live next door to the zebra enclosure at the zoo, of course) *until* you have good reason to believe that it's zebras and not horses. You'll be guided to the right answer in shorter time, most of the time, *but not every time*, if you start with the hypothesis which requires the least supposition, and only discard that hypothesis when you're faced with contradictory information.

E: Ah poo poo you already said this and I came in at the end of the discussion without having read the prior posts. My bad.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I like the framing of it as "Don't needlessly multiply entities"

Yeah I hadn't thought of it like that before but it's a good one, thanks.

Angepain posted:

this entire loving country is ruled by yer da who still thinks covid is basically the flu, and that flu is just a slightly bad cold, and who doesn't like ever being told to do anything he didn't already want to do

Yeah. I've mentioned before, but I've had the actual proper flu, and it was a loving miserable experience. Never felt so weak and exhausted before or since. Felt like I'd been literally hit by a bus, all of my joints, muscles and bones ached strongly for a couple of days, plus real exhaustion for about a week (I think it was a week, can't remember for sure because it was a while ago). Can absolutely see how even your garden variety flu kills people.

I've also grown up with my Mum saying to me near enough every time I caught a cold that was a little bit worse than average, "Oh maybe it's flu!", and so didn't appreciate what actual flu was until I was in my early 20s.

Basically flu sucks, you definitely don't want it, even if you're healthy, and you'll know without question if you've had a proper bout of it.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

justcola posted:

As usual, Fred Dibnah has an interesting bit of telly about architecture;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVLwzfyvlR0

Even 700 odd years ago they were building cathedrals that had pillars that could bear loads much heavier than what they actually did. Can't think of the last time a cathedral collapsed (that wasn't on fire)

Love Fred Dibnah. Back in about 2003 I used to cane it home from work on my bike (10 min trip) on my lunch break, via the corner shop, eat my lunch and watch Fred on BBC2 for half an hour before cycling back. Good times.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Sorry about your cat :(

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Endjinneer posted:

The reason pillars and beams are so overspecified is because they didn't understand structural mechanics, so they threw a lot of material at it and hoped it would work. Often they'd mix techniques up completely. Ancient Greek architecture gets its distinctive style because it uses stone as if it is wood. The two materials have wildly different properties.

Yup. The very first iron bridges used iron as if it were wood, complete with separately cast pieces and woodworking joints like mortise and tenon joints, because that was what they knew.

https://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~rwest/wikispeedia/wpcd/wp/t/The_Iron_Bridge.htm

Again it was over-engineered to poo poo though so although it was made with terrible methods, it's still standing 240 years later (though they did have to make some repairs to the foundations and stuff, the cast iron structure is all original).

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Seriously, if you insist on leaving Labour, please at least wait until the NEC election is done.

This is what I'm doing. Voting in the NECs then I'm off.

I don't suppose it'll make much difference but gently caress it. I'm sour about the whole thing.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Post-me-own-tweets-Dibbler

https://twitter.com/WhatEvil/status/1309552455366176773?s=20

https://twitter.com/WhatEvil/status/1309553522384527367?s=20

Given that there's been something like an average of 125k coppers over this time period, in a given year as a police officer, you have a 0.0086% chance of dying while "on duty" in a given year, so about 9/100,000, and most of those ways of dying are just poo poo that could happen to anybody (dying on the way to work or having a heart attack/stroke).

You have a 0.0000096% chance of being maliciously killed while working as a police officer, slightly less than a 1/10,000,000 chance, in a given year.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 25, 2020

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Unrelated to anything, but I know we have gamer goons in here:

Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 is currently free on the Epic store. Awesome game, that.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

A bunch of the worst Labour MPs would have left Labour and formed their own party or loose coalition so that Corbyn wouldn't have a majority, I reckon.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Communist Thoughts posted:

its absolutely, unironically obviously time to flee the country but... effort

It is a lot of effort, and cost, but I can definitely recommend it nevertheless, if you have the opportunity and the money to do so. I do not regret getting the gently caress out.

(Sorry, not trying to gloat, it really is very sad and distressing to me what the UK has become.)

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

forkboy84 posted:

I dunno, you can say that but honestly where are you meant to flee to? This country is hardly uniquely lovely at this point.

Canada is apparently the most accepting country to immigrants, in the world. The politics is poo poo - the Overton window is razor thin here, with three liberal parties duking it out. The NDP are nominally the left-wing party but from what I can gather they've done a New Labour and tried to shift to the right at the last election, losing themselves loads of votes. The government has done OK-ish at the rona but they still don't really have a handle on things. Trudeau and the liberals are corrupt as poo poo, obviously.

People are friendly, houses are cheaper than the UK (but this is changing), there seems to be way less of a danger of imminent fascism than in the US or UK.

Otherwise New Zealand would be a good choice. Again not actually left-wing politics (but where is?) but seems to be less threat of fascism and the government has handled coronavirus really well. Also the weather is nice all year round (though Auckland is really rainy, if you go South a bit it's better). Also the people are nice.

Or maybe France? I don't know. I feel like again, liberals in power but at least the worker rights are good there and people are ready to strike and riot.

When you look at it though, the UK has some of the worst if not *the* worst figures in the world for coronavirus deaths per capita, so in some senses going literally anywhere else would be better.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 27, 2020

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Robot Mil posted:

It's welcoming to immigrants but not necessarily easy to immigrate here - if you're young or can get a job offer it's easier. It's also hella expensive if you want to live in/near one of the cities like Toronto or Vancouver. I've only lived in Vancouver so can't speak to what small town Canada is like.

It's also not that secretly racist as gently caress to the indigenous communities, as is New Zealand.

Oh, yeah, I meant in terms of public attitudes, not necessarily the immigration process - that was a pain and also expensive. I was only able to get through it with (relative) ease because of my wife's engineering degree and experience. I'm told I probably would have been able to wangle my way through with just my experience as a joiner but it would have been less straightforward and I would likely have had to have gotten a job sponsorship rather than coming straight in as a permanent resident.

You don't have to go to small town Canada to still get houses that are cheaper than in much of England. I'm in Ottawa, 20km drive from parliament, and houses here are still much cheaper than we were used to in Milton Keynes - but they are on the up, by like 15% per year (though Coronavirus may change that, it doesn't seem to have yet). Mostly it's Toronto and Vancouver where prices are actually ridiculous.

Still, despite the houses being cheaper, most other things except petrol and energy are more expensive: Car insurance, food, home insurance, broadband/mobile/telecoms are all quite a bit more expensive than the UK. Particularly mobile bills are ~3x more, food is 2-3x more, broadband is 2-3x more (though typically if you're in/near a large city you can get better speeds than you would in most places in the UK). Oh and banking is shite - like stepping back in time 30 years. No free transfers from account to account, lots of things still done with cheques for larger purchases, you have to pay for each cheque you want, you have account fees and all that poo poo.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

feedmegin posted:

Cripes you are not selling me on the Canadian paradise here. America has some of this stuff but at least frigging FOOD costs the same or less.

Yeah. Food seemed cheapest in Vancouver but that's also where the house prices are at or higher than London prices.

You *can* still eat cheaply, if you were already eating very cheaply in the UK - dry beans, oats, potatoes, pasta are all still available for comparable prices here to in the UK but everything beyond that is more.

I guess actually the comparison is like, if you were already the sort of person who paid twice as much for Heinz beans over supermarket ones (and similar analogues for things that aren't beans), you might not notice that much of a difference, it's just that that whole price segment of "supermarket own brand" which is typically like 30-50% cheaper than the named brand stuff, doesn't really exist here, let alone the "Tesco Value"/"Sainsbury's Basics" or whatever stuff. There often are supermarket own brands of stuff but it's common that they might only be 10% cheaper than the "Heinz" level stuff. Also some stuff you're used to being very cheap in the UK has huge premiums on, here. Forget about buying a cheap but serviceable ready meal for £1-2, they're all like £3-5 here and the quality is no better. Ditto for stuff like frozen pizza - £3 equivalent seems to be the *base price* here, whereas you can get reasonably decent Tesco pizzas for £1.40.

As a more general point there is wide wide variation between supermarkets here. Back in the UK you could buy £100 worth of stuff from Sainsburys and depending on what it was, it might be like £90 at Tesco or £110 at Morrisons or vice versa - typically on a given "basket" you're only gonna get like 5-10% variance from Sainsbury's/Tesco/Morrisons/ASDA. Over here I shop at "Food Basics" which seems to be cheapest, but you can go to Metro or Independent and for broadly the same stuff you might pay 30-50% more - it's legitimately nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Can you like, actually find everything you want at Aldi/Lidl though? Last time I tried going into one (admittedly probably around 2016) I didn't feel like I could. Like if you're the sort of person who goes into a supermarket and just decides what to get/what you're having for dinner while you're in there then that would be fine but I like to go in with a clear idea of what I'm making and what I need.