Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
The fudge has arrived and made the world just a little bit better. I'm going to spoil my appetite for tea with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
I like it when people hold their phones flat like they're carrying an invisible beverage, but then because it's a loud environment press the microphone end against their ear.

Also:

Guavanaut posted:

I think so, but it's telling that she can think of two stereotypical poor Black areas and would base the merits of BLM on that but would not base the merits of whiteness on Tile Hill..
It's even more telling that she can't. "a Birmingham suburb"

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

justcola posted:

If I went into a house with no furniture it would cross my mind if I was being murdered or something.

Facebook Marketplace is alright, as is your local charity shop that sells furniture. Although the luxury of an enormous new sofa is a fine thing, I'm sure you'll like it. Though that also depends what is across from the sofa of course.

Trip Report - The Dentist

For the last two weeks my teeth have been caning, I contacted 111 and was set up with an emergency dentist that was miles away and not accessible by public transport, so I thought I'd chance it by finding a new dentist.

This was difficult - I rang 20-30 dentists and they either weren't taking on any new patients or would only extract teeth, and I want to cling onto mine for as long as I can. A lot of the private places were ridiculously expensive but in the end I went with a 'mydentist' in a nearby town. This was the first time I had private healthcare, it wasn't that much different to NHS dentists except the filling I needed took an hour rather than ten minutes. £120 including PPE for the dentists. Also you can't spit or drink that delicious water, which was the best part of going for me.

I'm glad I went as reckon halloween lockdown is going to sew all that up, could have not done with spending so much money but TEETH TEETH TEETH

Good username/post combo

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Niric posted:

This is a very strange statement to make. Not because it's not the kind of thing that the tories would do, but because the "moonshot" is an entirely fictional concept whose large numbers are plucked from the aether with no basis in reality. Why bother to make any statement about the cost (or not) of something that does not, currently cannot, and most likely will not exist?

It's the opposite of plausible deniability. If you make up enough details then people start to doubt that it's fiction, especially as the news will give these perspectives equal credence because that's how journalistic balance works innit.

I heard it'll be £49.99 for the one day version delivered into your thigh by industrial staplegun, or £10,000 for a lifetime vaccine administered in an aerosol of Chanel #5. There's going to be a vaccination centre in every loaf of Kingsmill.

Edit: 108 is 3x3x3x2x2x1. Makes you think.

Endjinneer fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 22, 2020

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
It'd be good to have a snappy counterargument ready for when people come out with "rrrrmember 2019 vote left wing and get boris". Otherwise it's going to become folklore, like Broon ate all the poonds/cap in hand to the IMF/petrol rationing and other pernicious arguments why good things can never happen. Any ideas?

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

Vote left wing get the iraq war.

Or "gently caress you, rot in hell and die you worthless sack of poo poo" depending on your choice. I personally would go with the latter.

Well thanks, but neither of those are really compelling strategies that win people over to left leaning political thinking. What I'm taking aim at, badly, is a modern analogue of that "cap in hand to the IMF" line. It's got a weird cultural resonance of shame and guilt and failure and it comes out every drat time you have "Labour" and "economics" on the same page. It popped up in a beeb article someone recently shared here. Shoehorned in, despite being a complete non sequitur.
If you had the time you could go into detail about how it's bollocks, the figures were inflated, nobody was holding a cap and everyone involved is now dead anyway, but that's useless because most people who use the line wouldn't even be able to tell you who held the cap in the first place. They aren't arguing with deliberate insincerity, it's just in our cultural bootloader now that [Labour economics] = [cap in hand to the IMF]

The same will happen with Corbynism except the code will be [left wing grassroots uprising] = [brexit, coronavirus, boris, trump] and that'll be the angle of attack against every future left wing insurgency. If we want to another left wing uprising to flourish we need to permanently associate this last one with good things it did achieve.

loving page snipe again... BR-116 is a 4,000km long network of highways in Brazil.

Endjinneer fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 22, 2020

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

What I am saying is that I don't think people who trot that out are interested or receptive to being convinced otherwise, they are saying it because it is somthing to say so they don't have to think, and can simply engage their pre-existing bias against anything left wing for whatever reason.

I don't care what their reason is and I don't care to listen to them talk either, and your time is wasted on people like that. So make them hurt as best you can and make them go away. Hence the latter option.

Like I don't think left wing politics is won on slogans or lost because someone said something stupid and short, it's won or lost on whole tides of information exposure in society, you saying or not saying something to some idiot who regurgitates whatever they heard on the news they drown themselves in every waking minute is not going to make a difference. So you might as well take your fun where you can get it and go to bed knowing you might have made that person's life a little bit more unpleasant today.

OK, but everyone resorts to "rule of thumb" judgements and cognitive biases like that one because they don't have the time or energy to fully interpret all the facts all the time. Arguably our society is driving people to resort to their biases more and more by overloading them with information and allowing them less time for reflection. Everyone's an "idiot" sometimes, so "hurting all the idiots" leads to a pretty lonely utopia.
If you understand and control biases in this environment it makes people pliable. From that angle, the "idiots" are victims of manipulation which our opponents certainly are not afraid to indulge in.
Given that we don't own any newspapers or TV channels, we can't afford to surrender any other angles. That includes talking to "idiots" and beastly slogans. What you say person to person can sometimes cut through.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

justcola posted:

As usual, Fred Dibnah has an interesting bit of telly about architecture;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVLwzfyvlR0

Even 700 odd years ago they were building cathedrals that had pillars that could bear loads much heavier than what they actually did. Can't think of the last time a cathedral collapsed (that wasn't on fire)

Gutted to have missed structureschat ITT, but here's my bit. There's an availability bias going on where we think ancient structures are well built, when in fact most weren't. It's just that there isn't any evidence of the bad ones because we don't like to leave collapsed structures about for long.
Lincoln cathedral, for example, has been flattened by wind, fire, earthquake and incompetence. https://lincolncathedral.com/history-conservation/timeline/

The reason pillars and beams are so overspecified is because they didn't understand structural mechanics, so they threw a lot of material at it and hoped it would work. Often they'd mix techniques up completely. Ancient Greek architecture gets its distinctive style because it uses stone as if it is wood. The two materials have wildly different properties.
The rule of thumb back in cathedral and parthenon building times was that if it stood up for five minutes, it would stand up for five hundred years. Put in modern terms- as long as the structure can resist the direction of the applied forces, their magnitude is irrelevant. Unless you live in Lincoln.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Friend of mine's father was a fire inspector who used to go and inspect factories. He went to a washing powder manufacturer's factory and he said pretty much the same: about 99% of the powder is the same, and they add a teaspoon of different mixes to the different brands to make them a bit different. I suppose it depends what's in that teaspoon of stuff!

My chemistry teacher said this in 1999 so it must be true: Washing powder is an illusion of a market. There are only two manufacturers- Unilever and Procter&Gamble. All the dozen or so brands are owned by these two and the powder is basically identical. As a consumer you might be captivated by one brand or another, but you're basically choosing between boxes of identical powder. All that's different is the scent and maybe some blue sprinkles.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

When I was looking up information surrounding it apparently Sweden has recently opened a new type of steel plant that uses hydrogen rather than coal:

http://www.theunfilteredlens.org/2020/08/31/sweden-opens-the-worlds-first-sustainable-steel-plant/

We've had hydrogenchat on this thread before and there is such obvious low hanging fruit here. You could take surplus energy from the Yorkshire coal biomass power stations and North Sea windfarms, turn it into hydrogen and rebuild the dying steelworks at Scunthorpe as a zero-carbon process. All you have to do is copy the Swedish plant which is aiming for market production in 2026.
Shall we do that?
No. Let's spend the next five years digging a coal mine 150 miles away from the steelworks along crap, overloaded railway lines. I doubt we'll even have any domestic steel production left by the time they get the coal out.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Imagine having surplus energy. And hydrogen is a bitch to transport or store away from the site of use, because it's so light and mobile it floats through things. 150 miles is a heck of alot shorter than sourcing the stuff from Poland, Brazil or china aswell.

Surplus energy does happen because base load generation is a bitch to turn off. The grid operator charges generation sites rather than paying them.
https://www.energylivenews.com/2020/05/26/uks-power-system-emissions-hit-all-time-low-and-wholesale-power-prices-go-negative/
"across the whole 24-hour period, the average day-ahead wholesale price was negative £9.92/MWh"

The opposite, load management periods, are equally weird. You get all sorts of places with on-site generation capacity like large industrial plants or water treatment works becoming short term power generators rather than consumers to take advantage of the high energy prices.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Guavanaut posted:

One for OwlFancier.

Flitter mouse is close to the German word for bat- Fledermaus.

Camrath posted:

Special Solidarity Fudge!
This is a really cool thing to do.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Guavanaut posted:

They didn't even used to allow them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6UhXivPyw4

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The consensus seems to be the lower death rate compared to the first wave is a combination of increased testing catching a lot more moderate and asymptomatic cases and there being far more moderate and asymptomatic cases due to more young people catching it, better treatment

I think the better treatment is a big factor here. Fatality rate is in effect a function of infection rate. We're not yet rationing hospital capacity so positive cases can get treatment. Once hospitals fill up with COVID or flu patients and we're back in the "call 999 only after you stop breathing" territory like in April the disease will become more frequently fatal.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Railchat:
A lot of railways have the requirement to be fenced written into the original acts of parliament which enabled their construction. Depending on who you ask, that's either for protection of livestock, or because the owners of the estates they cross didn't want the railway oiks getting on to their land. Livestock and trains are a troublesome mix.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polmont_rail_accident

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Unkempt posted:

Insurance is probably a thing - a plumber can wreck your entire house, it'd take a lot of work for a carpenter to do that.

Lemme tell you a story about a wood butcher round here.
He gets called out to fix something on someone's narrowboat. Put some shelves up or whatever. The weeny electric hookup at the moorings trips out when he tries to use his power tools, so he rings up the owner who tells him there's a generator and a can of fuel- but check because it could be petrol or diesel in the can.
He can't decide from the smell whether it's petrol or diesel and decides to carry out a small, careful ignition test. He carries the can on deck and dribbles a tiny bit of fuel out. If you're wondering what sort of a person would test flammability by conducting a controlled burn on a customer's home, well....

The fuel is petrol. The controlled burn goes up with a WHOOSH. So does the fuel can which our hero has carelessly left right next to the test site, unstoppered. Faced with the terrifying prospect of a not-at-all-controlled burn, he kicks the can over the side of the boat into the canal.
Day saved, right?
Wrong. Petrol floats.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
A friend of mine has put together a time-data series of reported COVID19 cases in each local authority displayed on a map. It takes a few seconds to load the data at the start but watching the past 3 months play through at 3 seconds per day is sobering. In mid-summer, you get the feeling we almost had a lid on it. Then the schools go back and it just re-ignites everywhere.
http://covid19.refreshgeo.com/

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

fatelvis posted:

Well, I guess I'm more thinking along the lines of - was it implemented the way it was due to a belief it would make a difference to the financial crisis, or because it was an opportunity to do a bunch of stuff some folks wanted to do anyway?

I guess it's kind of a stupid question given we can't see what is going on inside the heads of the people who made these decisions - but I guess I'm wondering what the threads general opinion is on it.

There was a research paper which demonstrated a correlation between high levels of government debt and low economic growth. In one of those catastrophic coincidences that too often seem to determine the course history, it was published at about the same time as certain fertile minds were gaining control of states around the world.
Those people had previously been adherents the borrowing=bad ideology, but the paper gave them the "scientific justification" to make that ideology into policy.
The paper was not peer reviewed, and was later shown to contain errors:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growth_in_a_Time_of_Debt

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm kind of iffy on this. Like you trust the honesty and or capability of these people? A few years ago I had some interest in the pound euro rate and was advised all sorts of things, followed it quite closely and as you say they claimed it was all baked in and wouldn't make a difference and this was definitely what would happen. Without fail after every significant thing that happened they reassessed and said unforeseen circumstances had wobbled the hippo more than expected or whatever and yeah, thing had had the effect. baked in is bollocks. Take a long term view, even then its a mugs game. Buy woodland.

Think of it more that in a market like currencies where there are lots of players and trillions of pounds worth of transactions each day, more or less everything that can be known gets built into the price rapidly. So when people talk about "baked in", they mean the human knowledge. The chaotic nature of the real world also weighs heavily on things though, and its effects cannot be known except as they happen.
Point is- you can't consistently beat the market unless you have access to information the market doesn't and even then it's helpful if you can predict the future too.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

jabby posted:

The public doesn't inherently harbour contradictory opinions, they have contradictory opinions because much of what they're told by those in power is contradictory because it's lies.
People do, in that they resort to heuristics and mental shortcuts to make sense of the world happening around them and these can have contradictory outputs or defects which can be exploited. If you get people to slow down and think more carefully, they do arrive at consistent rational answers. This means there's a massive commercial and political advantage to be gained by keeping people consistently on the hop, so nobody has the liberty of thinking things through anymore.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

That loving IMF "crap in hand" argument again. The IMF bailout was sought after double-digit inflation and devaluation of the pound made it hard for the Callaghan government to borrow money. Inflation and devaluation triggered by Conservative Chancellor Anthony Barber after his 1972 budget which was designed to stimulate a boom and guarantee another Conservative victory.

Given that our inflation rate is currently a massive 0.7% and investors are so desperate to loan money to the government they're willing to pay negative interest rates, I think there's a bit of headroom for a few hungry kids.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Guavanaut posted:

Where do the old school Keynesian Tories who don't give a toss about the morality of feeding hungry kids but know that it has a good fiscal multiplier both immediately in resource spending and long term over the life of the child fit in?

Did Thatcher eat them all?

Neoliberalism ground their bones for soil improver.

Has anyone drawn a parallel with the Irish Potato Famine yet? https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/the-spoilers-93278889-237694361

quote:

a Temporary Relief Act, popularly known as “the soup kitchen act” was introduced. As its name suggested, it was to be an interim measure, until the Poor Law could be modified to enable it to provide for both ordinary and Famine relief. The soup kitchens marked a break from earlier relief provisions, which had viewed the giving of gratuitous relief to be both ideologically flawed and financially perilous. The soup kitchens, however, despite the paucity and lack of nutrition of some of the food provided, marked a high point in Famine relief. By July 1847, over three million people (approximately forty percent of the population) were receiving free, daily rations from their local soup kitchen, at relatively little cost to the government. This short-term measure demonstrated that it was both logistically and financially possible to feed the Irish poor. Politically, however, such a solution was unacceptable. There was a general election in the United Kingdom in the summer of 1847, which was won by the Whigs. One of the first acts of the new government was to oversee the introduction of an amended Poor Law, which made the much-detested workhouse system the main provider of relief, and meant that the Famine poor were now to be classified as “paupers.” More significantly, responsibility for financing relief was to pass to local Irish rate-payers through the mechanism of local Poor Law taxation.

The question of food exports and imports also proved to be controversial. Prior to 1845, Ireland had been a major exporter of food to Britain, including vast amounts of high-quality grain products, earning it the title of “the bread basket of the United Kingdom.” Following the failure of the potato crop, many within Ireland, including the corporations of Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Belfast, had asked the government to close the ports to allow foodstuffs to remain within the country. Similar measures had been used during earlier periods of food shortages and had proved to be effective. Moreover, other governments in Europe were responding to crop shortages in their own countries by acting to keep food within their country, as a way of increasing supplies and stabilizing prices. The British government, which at the time was one of the most interventionist in the world, refused to do so, arguing instead the efficacy of non-intervention and laissez-faire.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
I think part of it is that for the last few decades we've culturally gone all-in with the idea of Benefits Britain Feckless Scroungers. When Ben Bradley tries to reach for a concept of a poor person all he can think of is brothels and crack dens. The idea of "the deserving poor" has been erased from political discourse. Imagine trying to get a Christmas Carol published nowadays. A poor person worthy of sympathy? Too fanciful.

That the poor are indolent scroungers is a rock that conservatives (and let's face it, sometimes labour and the lib dems too) have built manifestos and governments on for decades.
The reason the tories are so off balance in their response to this is because suddenly the ground is moving beneath their feet.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Guavanaut posted:

How do we get back (or forward) to an attitude of thinking about broad social flows rather than individual moral failings of the poor? That so what if one person just spends all the money on beer, does that not still benefit the shopkeeper (and maybe you stop it through public health rather than cutting them off) and overall the program has a fiscal multiplier of 1.7?

Do we have to scrap all MPs and let the Civil Service run everything? Or replace all of their computers with that hydraulic one where money flows in and out?

What did this and how do we undo it is basically what I'm saying.

The destruction of things that encouraged social mixing such as widespread social housing and free education, plus a systematic attempt to scapegoat the poor for things that weren't their doing. Owen Jones has a pretty good book on it.

Undoing it has been impossible because it has become a self-evident truth in our politics. Anyone who questioned it got treated like a flat-earther.
What is undoing it is the way the pandemic has brought the suffering so close to home that solidarity is inevitable. It's becoming impossible to 'other' the poor. Once we recognise them as human, who next? The homeless? The jobless? Immigrants?
There'll be serious Chernobyl-control-room vibes in Conservative party headquarters right now.

big scary monsters posted:

Don't give them ideas. And I heard plenty of that stuff when I was more active in alpinism and climbing - people love to bring it up whenever there is a high profile accident in the mountains. "We should have permits to go into the hills, we should require mandatory insurance for hiking, if you have an accident you should pay for the helicopter ride, it's selfish to force other people to put themselves in danger because of your risk taking" and on and on.
Everyone thinks their behaviour is low burden to society because whether you're mowing the lawn, climbing, or joining a scrum, nobody does it expecting to have an accident. It's the same reason why tougher sentencing doesn't deter crime that much- nobody sets out intending to get caught.
Insurance is fair enough for extraordinarily high risk/consequence stuff which is also basically essential, such as driving a motor vehicle, but arguments that the individual should solely be responsible end up in absurd attempts to account for every last peccadillo.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/amandamilling/status/1319753071602372613

A handy list of politicians who think that a throwaway comment in the house of commons matters more than child poverty.
Keith will have his hands full trying to capitulate his way to victory over this, so maybe we could write back to these MPs with some advice on the relative values of words vs deeds? They do like letters after all.
Anyone got the chops to pull the names of that letter and match it with the directory of MPs?

Condolences WhatEvil. Sorry for your loss.

Endjinneer fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 25, 2020

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Angepain posted:

yikes

love to be an "issue"

Today: You can celebrate the rights you have, but don't you dare protest about the ones you're denied.
5 years time: Now we go to a special broadcast from inside St Paul's cathedral, where along with other married couples you too can be part of England's pride celebrations.

Almost didn't check in here tonight because I knew it'd be on a downer, and I'm hurting too. I ragecancelled my membership earlier. 5 years of optimism, 2 campaigns, doorstepping on rainy nights. For gently caress's sake.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Somewhere inside Downing Street, Robert Peston is kneeling next to the gap beneath a bathroom door. Nose wrinkled against the smell of of whisky and vomit, he pleads over the gargled snoring noises
"Please wake up Boris, we need you give us the news. They can't blame you. Somebody leaked it all over Twitter earlier anyway".

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcnickrobinson/status/1322597130566029312?s=19

Lol he's aff his nut on spiked Bolivian nose candy and hiding in the downstairs toilet.

Fine, shitcan the country but for god's sake get it done before Strictly. There'd be riots.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
To bring everyone together during these dark times I'd like you all to join me to clap for the conservatives. Sarcastically.
Thursday, 8pm sharp.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

If we were in positions of responsibility, we'd be paid to act responsibly, so we would. But we aren't, so we won't. Journalism isn't a position of responsibility, we just argue these positions for sport. Anyone who actually does what we say is missing the point.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Anyone else getting the vibe that the tories are expecting a serious backbench rebellion on lockdown?
The Beeb is laying it on really thick. Leading imbecile Steve Baker got the personal treatment at Downing Street yesterday. There's been regular updates on financial support measures over the past day or so, like there's some furious back-room bargaining going on.
The bill is going to pass because it'll get labour support, but a serious rebellion makes the tories look like a party that wants mass graves. They've barely got over being the party that wants to starve children.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Christmas meal tip- wrap dried prunes in bacon and cook alongside your pigs in blankets. Some people call them devils on horseback.

Watching the reports of the Florida exit polls I'm struck by sheer level of antipathy towards anything even remotely socialist amongst people hailing from South or Central America, to the extent that they'll vote for someone proudly anti-immigrant. There's plenty to argue with like the fact that Biden isn't remotely socialist, or that life in Guatemala, Cuba or Venezuela was tough partly because of the containment policies implemented by erstwhile trading partners. But if the same word means "affordable healthcare" if you're in Vermont and "voldemort" if you're in Florida, it becomes tricky to handle as a political identity.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
My partner is roasting potatoes for tea right now. It's our only dietary common ground really. Partner doesn't eat meat. I don't eat vegetables- the Lancashire method of preparation being favoured by my parents. I thought carrots were white until I left home.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

justcola posted:

Thought I'd have a look at my home towns facebook group to see how they were getting on, turns out its full of poo poo. I thought I'd repost some 'memes' here to creak open the door into the mind of a super gammon.

Its NOT the governments fault, remember that

I've seen two incarnations of this one now and it really, really gets on my goat. Someone's clearly set out to show how simple the rules are by making a list meme. They've thought of a couple, made a few more up and then dribbled off into a vague handwaving etcetera etcetera sort of ending. If only the list did go on, to the end, it might have be useful. Instead they've disproven the point they set out to make and outed themselves as the sort of lace-twitching creep that judges people according to a ruleset largely of their own invention.

If you made a list of the rules just on weddings that applied until yesterday, you'd run out of space in this format.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Vitamin P posted:

All those good photos and Guardian goes with 'doughiest student alive'

and manages to not even mention the rent strike in the article.

It's heras fencing it just lifts out of the drat footings. These kids are paying £9k for an education and it doesn't include that basic fact? I can understand their anger.

And the BR class 370 was the original tilting train. When railway tracks go around a corner, one rail is elevated higher than the other to tilt the train, balancing the centripetal forces acting on the train body. It might seem sensible that you'd set this elevation for the maximum linespeed but actually you select a compromise between the maximum value required by faster, light passenger trains and the minimum value required by heavier, slower freight trains using the same line.
The technical term for elevating one track against the other is called cant, so the degree the cant is reduced in this compromise is called cant deficiency. Typically on the UK rail network, the cant deficiency is about 60%. The class 370 allowed the train body to tilt further, counteracting the deficiency of cant and giving a more pleasant experience for passengers as well as better high speed cornering. Unfortunately, so the story goes, the early publicity involved luring journalists aboard with abundant free alcohol. The journos drank so much they puked up, but blamed it on the train. It was subsequently abandoned, the technology sold to an Italian company, further developed, introduced successfully and sold back to the UK as the class 390 Pendolino.

Endjinneer fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 6, 2020

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Deeper doesn't really matter for tunneling, as long as the geology is good - digging a thousand feet deep in clay* is easier and cheaper than 20 feet in waterlogged sand. Ditto the explosives - a hundred feet of granite will mean you can let them all off in one go and not even notice (especially as they're not actually in one big pile, they're scattered over dozens of square miles). Beaufort's Dyke is a much bigger problem for causeways/bridges because then you're having to actually dig/pile through the explosives, which would be an interesting problem in the "may you live in interesting times" sense of the word.

* I don't think there's a thousand feet of clay anywhere in the world but you get the point. Basalt and granite will mean it'll be slow because they'll have to keep replacing the teeth on the TBM but this will be mostly offset by the fact that the sealing of the walls is much quicker and simpler, especially as they won't need to keep the works pressurised to keep the water out. Of course one fault in the wrong place letting water in at that depth would be a pretty massive problem so they'd need to be extremely careful about the surveying of the route.

Faulty. You'd tend not to use a TBM for anything except weak sedimentary rocks- it's too hard on the machine. Drill and blast is favoured, along with the New Austrian Tunnelling Method, which is not new, arguably not Austrian and not really a method, more sort of guidelines.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

As ever you can express them by yelling them in the street same as everyone else, doesn't mean you're entitled to anything else.

I think you'll find free speech actually means I have the incontrovertible right to prominence on every platform of communication.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
So Donald Trump is now a lame duck president. Cartoonists, do your thing.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Private Speech posted:

An absolutely wonderful idea from the governments friends at deutsche bank:

Staff who work from home after pandemic 'should pay more tax'

This was my favourite bit:

gobshites posted:

It argues this is only fair, as those who work from home are saving money and not paying into the system like those who go out to work.

What is the system they mean here? Subway and NCP? That this is literally the best justification for additional taxation that they could imagine is pitiful.
What about those packed lunch fuckers who cycle to work? They're the real ones cheating the system. They've been at it for years.

They could have said: let's tax home workers to fund better services in the community that both they and everyone else will benefit from. Or to fund home insulation improvement schemes that will create employment, help us reduce energy consumption and make people's homes nicer to live and work in.
But none of those things are important. What's important is that you're not buying enough bus tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Oh dear me posted:

Satnavs changed my life.

Tomtom saved my relationship.
DomDom tried to ruin Boris'.