Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

jabby posted:

I just think if you're going to make a principled stand, do it over something significant like the Spycops bil, or the sacking of people who voted against Foreign Torture bill, or the failure to tackle racism against black MPs.

Starmer has done plenty of stuff to warrant passing motions about (or quitting the party over). Corbyn is literally just one dude who was a pleasant but rather ineffectual leader, and his suspension is more likely to be a cock-up on both sides than the start of The Great Purge. Personally I expect he'll be reinstated following a "clarification" or apology.

Labour is going to come out with a lot of bad policy until (if) the left gets back in power, that's the ground to criticise and fight within the party or quit. Corbyns suspension is a continuation of the attack on the left section of the party and so it does need a proper direct response because the arguments over policy will never be won if key members can just be kicked out for saying things the rightwing doesn't want them to say. That's the difference and that's why using it as a uniting point is extremely important for the stay and fight lot to do.

Hell if they get better than expected NEC elections AND get the leadership to back down over Corbyn then they have a legitimate argument about the ability the left still has in changing the direction of the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/janinegibson/status/1327346396920504320
It's hard to believe this actually happened.

I can buy that he fired them because his wife told him to, but the whole "told them to get out and never return" stuff smacks of his allies trying to make him sound as manly and decisive as possible when in reality he probably did it by email.

Yeah remember this isn't a script, it's real life - so from the claim itself there were three people there, two of which would not disclose that they were underhanded liars and got caught and a third who would absolutely make some poo poo up to seem forceful and dramatic. Maybe there was a secretary to record the events but they're somewhat unlikely to be an aide to the PM and also a huge leak.

This is PR being reported as fact.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Well you've got to remember that Peston used Cummings as an 'anonymous' Number 10 source a lot so this is quite possibly just spin from him through Peston.

Basically don't overthink this poo poo because none of us have any real insight into what happened and we shouldn't trust anything the media or politicians tell us about it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

He gets way too deep into the political process for me but I get the impression he knows what he’s on about

I do wonder how useful ‘knowing what you’re on about’ is in this new age of populism where one side are insane robber barons but that’s not his fault.

While completely adept at theory and certain history the thing that broke the spell for me was when they spoke in a sense of authority about a particular bodies opinion of youth minimum wage levels which was the complete opposite of what that body had been recommending for the last 3 years and when challenged admitted that they hadn't read anything recent about what they were saying.

'Don't be fooled by confidence and always be willing to argue your corner' is a pretty good takeaway I feel. Props to them about admitting their lack of recent knowledge however, things would be better if we all did.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Beefeater1980 posted:

More evidence here for my theory that nobody has the first clue what they’re actually doing ever because the world is complex and full of unintended consequences.

Uhhh... I mean... yes?

There's not a single type of social or economic theory which suggests that the world is simple except for theocracy or monarchal absolutism. There it is easy - the divine spirit or God or whatever embues the ruling structure with absolute authority and so you either agree with that authority or rebel against God.

Thousands of years of war and revolution later we've sort of managed to dethrone God.

So now we rebel against Man or Authority and those similar forces that ruled through God now declare they rule because of Nature or Entrepreneurship or whatever. But the heart of it is that their ability to rule is based on their power to rule and nothing more. So all that is ever needed is the will and ability to dethrone these humans and create a better state for all.

mediaphage posted:

i disagree, he knew what he was doing in that he cared about protecting his wealth when he could still use it. now that he's on his way out he wants more legacy material

This is also legit in terms of what he wants but so many people should be willing to poo poo on his grave he may as well be buried at sea.

Edit: I will proudly never remember how to spell entrepeneur. gently caress me what a garbage word.

namesake fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 14, 2020

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Stopped reading at "cash-strapped Treasury", like why do they keep buying into the rhetoric that they can't just issue a bunch of bonded debt to build things that generate revenue that are kept in public hands which can pay off the debt while also creating jobs that put money into the economy which also generates public revenue?

I get that they won't, but it's not that they can't and that keeps being ignored.

It requires a belief in positive economic multipliers from state spending which liberals are always uncomfortable accepting because then the state should actually do a lot more things.

Also it doesn't even require the government issuing debt except for it's a vital part of the private financial system.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

It's Dishi Rishis' superhero teammate - POWER GOVE!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

That's another point I disagree with greenwald on, I want journalists to be cowering in terror from the public, because they're garbo people who write garbo articles all the time and do nothing useful.

Ah but have you considered..

*tears rubber mask off of journalist*

"My God! They were members of the public this whole time!"

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How do you take a report that was saying "B-, must try harder" and turn it into a clusterfuck that occupies multiple news cycles weeks apart?

The news got multiple days of headlines accusing Corbyn of being a Soviet spy based on one guy who was a known liar and the press are absolute scum so I have a little sympathy about something getting totally mangled to get a news report out of it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Aeble posted:

Thanks!

That does seem super inept. How did he become leader with political instincts like that?

Disorientation of and lack of legacy planning on the left really. Corbyn got wrecked by 2019 and resigned without being able to get any decent, widely known successors in the party able to be the left candidate after his resignation. This meant the right could prop up Starmer as an escape from all the horrible media attacks and a bunch of the membership either hate the left or were convinced that they could still be left without having the press be hostile and so voted him in.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Soricidus posted:

Unlikely. Afaict JC believes in the actual labour movement, not the existence of a party called “labour”. Why would he betray his constituents to keep a Tory-lite party alive?

Nah he definitely has firm belief in the Labour Party, that's why he stuck with it for decades and urged everyone to stay in it. No doubt he's really sick of all of this though and I expect he'll stand down at the next election and just go on speaking circuits and rallies.

Port 443 is the standard port for all secured HTTP traffic.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

The Labour right are possibly playing the long game here by making sure the distrust between the left and the centre becomes permanent while also waiting for the new disputes process to innately repress leftist internationalist policies as violent or bigoted or something, then force some sort of crisis on Starmer and run someone for leader who will openly adopt the policies they want.

This'll work until some random person at a hustings asks them something like 'What makes your platform different from the Tories?' and they make an absolute arse of themselves.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Starmer: "Yes I'd like to start pre-booking the bad headlines please..... Ohhh, let's see.... in 3 months please."

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Did any of the Tory Brexit rebels a) rebel beyond saying it was bad in the press or join ChangeUK b) stop anything if they did?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Miftan posted:

The UK is completely irrelevant to Israel's existence. A lot of Israelis dislike the EU because they think it's too leftist because it thinks Palestinians are people. Israel's existence relies solely on the US.

e: quote is not edit.

Nah, it was the British Mandate of Palestine before it was Israel, we have a unique connection to the area because of when Britain ruled it and ended its rule and so have responsibility for how its recent history has progressed in the same way we do for all our colonies. That doesn't give us any extra rights but it does carry extra responsibilities.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

bump_fn posted:

does the uk have any insane rules like some american states like where you have to pledge loyalty to israel to do business with the state of texas

Well we have to follow a monarch, does that count?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Rumda posted:

That's an incredibly weird view to have. No one would consider Liverpool and Manchester not to be northern cities at all.

It absolutely is considered the north but the funny thing is that in terms of geography they're only just in the top third of England and solidly in the middle of the landmass including Scotland. There's some sort of point to be made about political and economic power altering perceptions of physical space that when you get any distance away from London you suddenly become Otherised.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Rumda posted:

I mean even in an equal England they'll still be the north when we split the country into north south and midlands of course the top third is going to be the north

Sure but they aren't like Newcastle, they're sort of borderline on that top third yet are definitely North.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Unless we want another year of scaling lockdowns up and down we need to pursue a Zero COVID strat immediately.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

kingturnip posted:

That leaked vaccination plan suggested that someone thought they could be having the general public getting jabbed by February.
I assume that person has never seen this government try to plan anything, because lmao

While the government is inherently corrupt it is an essential component of any post-COVID scenario and there is a serious global awareness of vaccines - if they end up having a slow and poo poo system then they'll fall behind on being viewed as a 'safe' country which will put them behind any economic recovery and if they start losing thousands of vaccines due to incompetance then the world will be actively pissed at them for wasting something everyone wants and needs.

They will actively pay WAY more attention to effective delivery than they have about all the other COVID responses.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

crispix posted:

On Friday I was in Poundstretcher :monocle: and an old lady pushed past me to leave without buying anything and she took the opportunity to have a grope of my bottom area

This is the real reason that we need to keep the elderly confined.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

josh04 posted:

Write your thesis in latex

Personal preference is important when sitting down and writing but so is comfort - don't you get very hot and sweaty after a few hours?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

He's held a position of power during a huge crisis so he'll always be remembered and seems to have done a pretty obviously poo poo job while at it so he'll definitely be looked on badly. Without knowing how the course of history will go from here though it's impossible to say exactly what levels of criticism he'll get.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

It's not a left/right argument, it's a nationalist one. The UK left criticises UK imperialism, therefore they are pro-enemies of the UK.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Good as it is (edit: the AZ announcement, not Ghosts), I'd genuinely like to know how AstraZeneca can do that given the law - being broken and horrid - compels corporations to act in the best interest of their shareholders

It's not a law as such. Shareholders have really limited accountability of boards and revolts are rare even if CEOs are openly pouring huge wads of cash into their own pockets to the detriment of shareholders.

Even in a case like this a internal report can be found to say that the goodwill generated from the plan, free advertising from the move and increased penetration into new markets for other products means that this strategy offers sufficient long term returns to make it a sensible option.

Boards can do anything except empower the workforce and they'll get away with it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Lots of peoples experience of power amounts to 'written documents makes things happen'. Money, tickets, identification, contracts, eviction notices, court orders, etc. All of them just need to exist, be presented to someone and then things get put in motion. Usually they cite laws and authorities that you've never heard of but everyone seems to take as given that they're real and mean the thing you're saying they mean so getting taken in by some legalistic magic words is little different until the actual forces of law get involved.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

It's going to be a disaster because it's all powered from a set of sockets in his kitchen and the lines are trailing over the sink or something like that.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Mighty Starmer, taking the helm during a period of national crisis where Tories are openly corrupt and causing thousands of deaths and leading Labour back to the heady polling heights of.....

2017 when Corbyn was accused of being a Soviet spy and an anti-semite by the entire media.

Ah.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Zero Gravitas posted:

Well this is just it.

Corbyn right now should be political mist. hosed off back to his allotment, doing staggering things with a marrow etc, party united behind Starmer.

Instead we have a significant chunk of the party devoted to exonerating this guy who is loving hated by large parts of the electorate and they cant loving help themselves from doing so when the wider electorate literally do not give a poo poo. It resembles cult like behaviour at best.

The best thing Starmer could do is split the party so those people insistent on being in the wilderness can do so by themselves - and while im sure im going to get responses of "BUT WHAT ABOUT FPTP!?", what functional difference is there between being in the wilderness because theres a fifth column in the party vs wilderness because youre trying to reform the party? Youre still in the wilderness except at least with the reform you can try and move forward without leading figures, for example, trying to defend themselves against an antisemitism report or sharing a zoom conference with actual fascists/dodgy as gently caress people.

Let's just have a comparison between the immediate consequences following on from the election of Corbyn and Starmer as leaders to demonstrate who's actually interested in a united party shall we?

Corbyn fills half his cabinet with centrists and even some rightwingers. They start leaking immediately, criticising the leadership, legitimizing whatever attack lines the press put out and then all organise a mass resignation purposely designed to force his resignation or lose a leadership contest. That's in addition to the sabotage within the party from their staff.

Starmer puts one Corbynite in a middle ranking position and then kicks her off for a retweet of a newspaper article and suspends Corbyn for holding a line about what the problems in the party really were. The Labour left still urges people to remain members.

I agree splitting would be best but only to escape from the loving vipers called the Labour right.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Got over 200 people here at the alternative Bristol CLP meeting after all their suspensions and AGM were cancelled after the motion supporting Corbyn and they are really, really pissed lol

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

peanut- posted:

People seem absolutely furious about the new covid tiers this morning. Were they really expecting "lockdown done, back to the pub" or what?

Yes. The pandemic has shown that no one has the ability to predict anything or willingness to see what's coming next. That's fairly understandable for individuals but reveals how worthless most politicians and organisations are.

Join the Zero Covid campaign which is at least proposing a strategy to get away from this 'tier followed by lockdown' cycle which will happen at least once more next year.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

Frankly, even if you don't like the EU, you should have voted remain just because you could predict that something like what has happened since would happen.

I abstained because I did predict it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Can't wait until May and the local election results. I don't imagine Labour will do well so what'll be the fallout from the press reporting it as 'Labour have struggled to shake off the baggage of the Corbyn leadership which had a series of bad local elections and a disastrous general election in 2019...'

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I got a smart meter installed and then the energy company didn't send me any bills for over a year. It was fun but they realised their mistake last month and backdated the new bill they did eventually send.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm trying to be more patient with people these days but dear lord, I cannot possibly in good faith believe that an apparently functional human adult with a brain can be this wilfully stupid on so many levels at once.

The worlds a stage mate, people will say anything for enough money AND he's already an actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Mr Owl posted:

Anyone else spend a large chunk of today trying to decide what a "Substantial Meal" is and where things fall on the scotch egg food rating system?

Trying to order food in for a pub when you dont know how many people you are going to get in and what you have to serve them is a unique and novel nightmare.

It's stupidly vague. They should be using a definition like 'food served in or on reusable containers' which is still pretty vague but it'd eliminate most pub snacks unless someone is deliberately pouring a packet of crisps into a bowl. Even then it's pretty clearly a case of taking the piss rather than earnestly following the guidance.