Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
This has been on my mind a lot lately.

Options are limited, obviously. But starting a new life in Ireland or Mexico (since there's not many other places that will take us) is looking attractive. I'd have to leave behind my fascist boomer family, but I'm already over that. I'm a generation removed from being able to claim Irish citizenship by birthright (your grandparent needs to have been born in Ireland). Wondering if I can just take off for a year without a visa of any kind, or how that would even work. Like what happens if you tell the US government you'll be back in a year and then you don't come back?

Anyone else having similar thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Coward

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

That said, if you can get a good job lined up and living here is that stressful I say go for it. Just keep in mind that there really isn't any escape from fascism and you shouldn't expect a move to solve all your problems. Like I put some thought into trying to move to germany and it's not like if I move there I'll escape the Qanon nazi freaks anymore than if I stay here.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Unless you give up your citizenship, you still have a civic duty to stay informed and vote. Congrats on your curse.

Edit: also pay taxes on earnings over ~$105k

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

this is counter revolutionary, op.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MorrisBae posted:

if I can just take off for a year without a visa of any kind, or how that would even work. Like what happens if you tell the US government you'll be back in a year and then you don't come back?

Anyone else having similar thoughts?

nobody from the US is likely to chase after you but you're gonna have a hell of a hard time finding a place to be for that year+ without any paperwork

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 18:05 on Sep 2, 2020

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Lawman 0 posted:

That said, if you can get a good job lined up and living here is that stressful I say go for it. Just keep in mind that there really isn't any escape from fascism and you shouldn't expect a move to solve all your problems. Like I put some thought into trying to move to germany and it's not like if I move there I'll escape the Qanon nazi freaks anymore than if I stay here.

Guess it really depends on whether you think their system is more stable/better equipped to resist the freefall into authoritarian fascism we're in. You still have the Qanon freaks but is Germany overall about to break out into civil war?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I'd wait for the balkanization and see which confederacy is best. I'm thinking the California state or the Midwest conglomerate might be okay.

Every couple years you might be conscripted to slaughter southerners or defend against the eastern seaboard assholes, which sounds acceptable.

Really the great lakes and everything west of the Mississippi is the best America, leave the inbred south and the clueless Eastern gentry to gently caress their own doorknob

20 Blunts has issued a correction as of 18:14 on Sep 2, 2020

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TrixRabbi posted:

Guess it really depends on whether you think their system is more stable/better equipped to resist the freefall into authoritarian fascism we're in. You still have the Qanon freaks but is Germany overall about to break out into civil war?

if the US goes full fash what exactly do you think all of its vassal states are going to do

furiously googling "where did the Nazis build their camps" rn

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if the US goes full fash what exactly do you think all of its vassal states are going to do

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
You don't need a visa to travel to ireland for a holiday but you're not going to be able to work here unless your job is on a 'critical skills' list or if you have a nice degree and a really high paid job lined up here

because of the EU there's a huge supply of cheap legal labour so you can't really be an illegal worker here either.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
fighting owns, OP.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

maybe there is some kind of reverse mail order groom catalog you can place yourself in

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
i've lived in italy for several years, it's very nice

i think they also have the birthright citizenship thing

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

my appetite is augmented

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

good idea to get a little real estate speculation in

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

cowardice aside, op, where exactly do you think you can go where rapacious capitalism and the repercussions of its collapse cannot reach you?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

World War Mammories posted:

cowardice aside, op, where exactly do you think you can go where rapacious capitalism and the repercussions of its collapse cannot reach you?

probably nowhere, but there are plenty of places that are nicer to live in than the US

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
heres a thought op, give me money i need a huge graphics card

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
why's paul gotta ride in the back seat

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Homeless Friend posted:

welcome back KM

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

i want to play cursaders king 3

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If you don't think the country is worth fighting for, fight against it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

super sweet best pal posted:

If you don't think the country is worth fighting for, fight against it.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
ireland is open to refugees?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

secure that bag

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Homeless Friend posted:

secure that bag

:hai:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Imo you're going to have to wait to flee until the international community decides to give Americans official refugee status

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I'm lucky in that I have financial resources and a wife that's originally from a country that is politically pretty far removed from US influence and the potential fallout from any international conflicts. It certainly has some of it's own problems but eh, I can live with them. And with the new reality of work from home forever and my technical skills, I probably have enough leverage to be like 'I'm remote forever now, please don't schedule any meetings with me before 3pm because that's like 7am in my new timezone.'

Currently planning to scoop up some property there and split time 50/50 or so, but if things continue to decline then a permanent escape is on the table. I probably wouldn't be able to get full citizenship but indefinite leave to stay isn't hard. The biggest problem with this plan is transporting our giant spaz of a dog on a 16-hour plus flight. I imagine the answer to this problem is gonna be some good-rear end dog drugs, but I admit I haven't gone deep enough to find out my actual options here yet.

In summary, America has and always will suck rear end and the current trajectory is going hard towards sucking more not less. So gently caress everyone here, and have fun picking over the corpse I guess

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Good Citizen posted:

I'm lucky in that I have financial resources and a wife that's originally from a country that is politically pretty far removed from US influence and the potential fallout from any international conflicts. It certainly has some of it's own problems but eh, I can live with them. And with the new reality of work from home forever and my technical skills, I probably have enough leverage to be like 'I'm remote forever now, please don't schedule any meetings with me before 3pm because that's like 7am in my new timezone.'

Currently planning to scoop up some property there and split time 50/50 or so, but if things continue to decline then a permanent escape is on the table. I probably wouldn't be able to get full citizenship but indefinite leave to stay isn't hard. The biggest problem with this plan is transporting our giant spaz of a dog on a 16-hour plus flight. I imagine the answer to this problem is gonna be some good-rear end dog drugs, but I admit I haven't gone deep enough to find out my actual options here yet.

In summary, America has and always will suck rear end and the current trajectory is going hard towards sucking more not less. So gently caress everyone here, and have fun picking over the corpse I guess

lmao

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Sep 2, 2020

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

"I'm planning to vacation in my New Zealand summer home" but in a way that makes me sound victimized somehow

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

err posted:

ireland is open to refugees?

If you're a non-citizen and can't claim citizenship by birthright, you can apply to become a citizen after:

5 years of residency in Ireland
3 years of residency in Ireland (if you're married to an Irish citizen)

Refugees are put into shared public housing called Direct Provision until they can be granted more suitable housing and residency status so they can work full-time, but this process can take 3+ years.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
the historically fascist nation that is now faced with collapse due to its superpower status being threatened deserves your help less than literally any other country

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bedshaped posted:

You don't need a visa to travel to ireland for a holiday but you're not going to be able to work here unless your job is on a 'critical skills' list or if you have a nice degree and a really high paid job lined up here

because of the EU there's a huge supply of cheap legal labour so you can't really be an illegal worker here either.

my Critical Skill is Posting, which is such a strong weapon it led to the downfall of the greatest empire the world has ever known

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

SPACE

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

"I'm planning to vacation in my New Zealand summer home" but in a way that makes me sound victimized somehow

Never claimed to be a victim and I recognize we're currently safe and insulated from the worst of America's decline. That may not always hold since my wife is a non-white immigrant, but for now we're safe in our regional liberal bubble unless some executive order applicable to my wife's status forces our hand early. I guess I'm more in the camp of 'fleeing America cause gently caress this place' than exactly what the thread title suggests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I want out of here!!!