Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

i choose to die only under one flag

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Well who could have predicted this? everyone

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Riot Bimbo posted:

i was hoping to hear somewhere like cuba has a good record with trans rights or something vOv take the snarky bullshit and shove it imo

lol i have some bad news for you man

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Did some googling. These jumped out at me.

For all you 'small business' types, this looks like the EU's easiest way in: Dutch American Friendship Treaty

quote:

The treaty makes it easier for US Entrepreneurs to open businesses in The Netherlands. It lowers the amount of needed investment capital from €27,000 to €4,500, frees US Entrepreneurs from the points-based test, and removes the benefit to Dutch national interests requirement. The residency permit is good for two years, after which it can be extended. The treaty is valid for all US Americans who are opening a business in the Netherlands or its territories.

For anyone who doesn't mind heat, learning Spanish or Panama...

From this article about real estate options: 12 SECOND RESIDENCIES THROUGH CHEAP REAL ESTATE INVESTMENTS

quote:

8. PANAMA

Minimum Investment: $5,000 (Friendly Nations)/$60,000-$80,000 (Other Residency Programs)

If you’re searching for a nomad-friendly second residency, look no further than Panama. This small Latin American country’s territorial tax system, good offshore banking options, and low cost of living make it an excellent place to get a second residency.

And to maintain your Panamanian residence card, you only need to visit the country for a couple of days per year.

Panama offers a wide variety of residency options, including the Friendly Nations Visa, which allows citizens of certain countries to become Panamanian residents by depositing $5,000 in a bank account and creating a Panamanian company.

However, if you don’t qualify for the Friendly Nations Visa, you can still become a Panamanian resident by investing $60,000 in agricultural land or companies, $80,000 in land for reforestation projects, $160,000 in a Panamanian company, or $300,000 in a term deposit account.

The only drawback to Panama is that it isn’t your best option for getting a second citizenship. Panama does not allow dual citizenship.

And while you can technically get your Panamanian passport in as little as five years, that’s not always the case. In fact, I know people who have been living in Panama for 15 years and still have not been able to get a Panamanian passport.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

Good Citizen posted:

yeah being trans isn’t as much as an issue in the Philippines but if you don’t like Trump then maybe don’t google Duterte

glad to hear the philippines have something good and cool, but yeah, liquidating the indigenous population as "terrorists" is not a great sign

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
seriously, though, if you can't find a place in america where you can build a supportive social network with people around you, moving to another country isn't going to help. like, you have to care about more than yourself. yes, people want to kill you openly. that isn't a new thing, it's just the fleeting protection that was barely there is evaporating. if you just abandon everyone else in your boat to flee like a rich person to a bunker, you also leave them behind. to die. and you choose this above fighting for them.

none of that will change if you move somewhere else. maybe you have no choice (i'm not going to pretend to be some judge of your personal situations), but you still have to change that if you want to be safe, because the standard of safety you are used to is based on the power and authority of same people who want to kill you.

and if it's impossible to do that, then we're all hosed and you may as well enjoy the time you have without the stress of immigration

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 05:51 on Sep 19, 2020

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The right choice is to stick with it

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Hodgepodge posted:

seriously, though, if you can't find a place in america where you can build a supportive social network with people around you, moving to another country isn't going to help. like, you have to care about more than yourself. yes, people want to kill you openly. that isn't a new thing, it's just the fleeting protection that was barely there is evaporating. if you just abandon everyone else in your boat to flee like a rich person to a bunker, you also leave them behind. to die. and you choose this above fighting for them.

All of my family are fascists. Every single one. Even the liberal members that are somewhat sympathetic won’t risk abandoning their inheritance to stand up against fascism.

So if I’m fighting for myself, why fight at all?

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I live in china. I was supposed to come back in june but lol corona, and now I think I'll just apply for the chinese green card next year. hmmmm, dictatorship where half the population actively hopes I die and theres no governmental help at all and poo poo keeps getting worse, or dictatorship where govt actually cares about the people and life is getting better. It sucks, but america is loving over. hope it's quick rather than long and prolonged

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Ardennes posted:

The right choice is to stick with it

lol, nah. The right choice is to do what is best for yourself and your family. You are not going to be the one to make the difference in saving this country and it's probably not savable either way. Bug out if you can.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Mirello posted:

I live in china. I was supposed to come back in june but lol corona, and now I think I'll just apply for the chinese green card next year. hmmmm, dictatorship where half the population actively hopes I die and theres no governmental help at all and poo poo keeps getting worse, or dictatorship where govt actually cares about the people and life is getting better. It sucks, but america is loving over. hope it's quick rather than long and prolonged

I've got a real estate-adjacent bureaucrat buddy.

Some local rednecks used photos of everyone from his office for target practice

Even his family down there is openly horny for mass murdering liberals.

Stay out. Stay free.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

MorrisBae posted:

All of my family are fascists. Every single one. Even the liberal members that are somewhat sympathetic won’t risk abandoning their inheritance to stand up against fascism.

So if I’m fighting for myself, why fight at all?

Yeah, if you're in Chudville, get out. If you happen to have dual citizenship of some sort that might be to another country, but unless you have an easy path to that I'd be looking at finding a community that is prepared to defend itself from chuds.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Good Citizen posted:

lol, nah. The right choice is to do what is best for yourself and your family. You are not going to be the one to make the difference in saving this country and it's probably not savable either way. Bug out if you can.

this. it’s like saying VOTE!

it’s a real poo poo thing for supposed “leftists” to shame and yell at Ecuadorian or Syrian refugees who went to America or Europe or some gay person who went from Kentucky to NYC that they should have just stayed put and fix things instead of seeking a better life for them and their families. real evil thing to do

you should do what’s best for your mental (and physical) health for your family and yourself

smdh at “leftists” advocating for super closed borders and telling everyone they should be rooted by the circumstances of their birth

Small Gay Planet
Aug 2, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
immigrate to singapore and get a sick government subsidized apartment, and enjoy slightly elevated social status as a caucasoid expat. Covid is basically done and people vape in each others faces at bars without a care. If you’re okay with your kids doing two years in the teddy-bear-like military (naps, regular calisthenics, and cigarettes, with no chance of combat) you could easily become a citizen.

Just be okay siding with china in the great geopolitical power struggle once huawei and tencent finish relocating their operations here

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Hodgepodge posted:

Yeah, if you're in Chudville, get out. If you happen to have dual citizenship of some sort that might be to another country, but unless you have an easy path to that I'd be looking at finding a community that is prepared to defend itself from chuds.

I have a passport, so flying to Ireland and seeking asylum right away is an option. I’d be put in shared public housing in the middle of a pandemic, though.

Other option is renting a place there for a year. Trip insurance is reasonable, but there’s all sorts of “ALL COVID-19 RELATED MEDICAL AND TRANSPORTATION COSTS ARE NOT COVERED” disclaimers attached to the policies (although I’m sure the cash price for a hospital stay in Ireland isn’t insane like it is in America)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Small Gay Planet posted:

immigrate to singapore and get a sick government subsidized apartment, and enjoy slightly elevated social status as a caucasoid expat. Covid is basically done and people vape in each others faces at bars without a care. If you’re okay with your kids doing two years in the teddy-bear-like military (naps, regular calisthenics, and cigarettes, with no chance of combat) you could easily become a citizen.

Just be okay siding with china in the great geopolitical power struggle once huawei and tencent finish relocating their operations here

Singapore seems pretty boring and booze is heavily controlled (this will be very important for everyone in the near future).

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
on the bright side, my gf has a phd and she could easily flee this country whenever she wants

and I have a sizable nest egg so it’s not like we would be destitute in a new country

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Xaris posted:

this. it’s like saying VOTE!

it’s a real poo poo thing for supposed “leftists” to shame and yell at Ecuadorian or Syrian refugees who went to America or Europe or some gay person who went from Kentucky to NYC that they should have just stayed put and fix things instead of seeking a better life for them and their families. real evil thing to do

you should do what’s best for your mental (and physical) health for your family and yourself

smdh at “leftists” advocating for super closed borders and telling everyone they should be rooted by the circumstances of their birth

and you can probably still vote in the US from where you end up so whatever

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

No. 6 posted:

Unless you give up your citizenship, you still have a civic duty to stay informed and vote. Congrats on your curse.

Edit: also pay taxes on earnings over ~$105k

I wish it was that simple. Since tax laws rarely align 100% between countries they always find ways to squeeze some money out of you, it seems. And even if you are in the right, it can cost you way more to retain a tax attorney to prove it than you'll ever recover.

Also, if you have more than the equivalent of $10k USD in your accounts (total, not in a single account) at any point during the year prepare for the joy that is the FBAR, with obscene penalties if you fail to file.

And if you want to give up citizenship? Gotta list everything you have in case the US decides you are leaving for tax purposes and they should have a final cut before you bail.

And you don't even have to be a citizen for the above, just a long term resident. And when you file to leave the system permanently they never confirm it so you just have to hope everything went as planned and they don't come back three years later and gently caress you.

Clayton Bigsby has issued a correction as of 07:53 on Sep 19, 2020

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

MorrisBae posted:

I have a passport, so flying to Ireland and seeking asylum right away is an option. I’d be put in shared public housing in the middle of a pandemic, though.

Other option is renting a place there for a year. Trip insurance is reasonable, but there’s all sorts of “ALL COVID-19 RELATED MEDICAL AND TRANSPORTATION COSTS ARE NOT COVERED” disclaimers attached to the policies (although I’m sure the cash price for a hospital stay in Ireland isn’t insane like it is in America)

this is a tough time to travel at all

if becoming a literal refugee is more practical than finding a safe place in america, then you should probably do it. i mean, if youre at that point, i hope i don't have to tell you that it isn't a certain or easy path.

e: i should mention that it sounds like your social circle are rich. so of course they're fascist assholes. even if you move to ireland, you're going to be in a very catholic country. make friends with people without money, because the rich won't be better people.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 07:56 on Sep 19, 2020

Small Gay Planet
Aug 2, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Singapore seems pretty boring and booze is heavily controlled (this will be very important for everyone in the near future).

its fine its just two or three times more expensive than in the us and you cant buy it after 1030 so stock up

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
If you want an EU citizenship, just buy the Maltese one. It's only like 750k, plus 600k in property and bond investments, and then 30k for each spouse and dependant. Then use that citizenship to take up residence in your desired EU country until you qualify for citizenship. Note that the last part is very important if you want to avoid getting stuck in the birthplace of the Buttigiegs when the EU collapses.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If there's one thing Europe needs, it's MORE American expats, sure. How about you clean up your mess instead of taking it with you elsewhere.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

steinrokkan posted:

If there's one thing Europe needs, it's MORE American expats, sure. How about you clean up your mess instead of taking it with you elsewhere.

Loled at this post after thinking about how many millions of Europeans packed up for America when the going got tough over there at various points.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OhFunny posted:

Loled at this post after thinking about how many millions of Europeans packed up for America when the going got tough over there at various points.
Yeah, Europe is descended from the people who had the fortitude to tough it out and make a better future. Americans "coming back" is like a double distillation of people who run when the going gets tough!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, Europe is descended from the people who had the fortitude to tough it out and make a better future.

this is the funniest thing I’ve ever read

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
dont the terlets go the wrong way round in eruope? my body is used to the water going the one way.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
if only more jews hadn't been such cowards, they could have stayed in Germany and ~fought for it to be better~

(this is a joke, if the state is planning on killing you you should leave asap. there is nothing you can do to stop it. it is the state and you are a goon)

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
So, I peaced out to Canada before trump got elected because after a decade of activism I have feeling for what was coming. When you see MEʹNE, MEʹNE, TEʹKEL PARʹSIN written on the wall it's time to get the gently caress out of Judea. (If I may be so bold as to borrow a reference from my evangelical days)

Now is not the easiest time to get up here but if anyone decides they want to make a go of immigration to the one country that will probably be annexed by america in our lifetime feel free to PM me with questions.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

only state i can get into is israel lmfao. apartheid notwithstanding, the american governments target of “as much global warming as possible” is going to do really bad things to the livability of the whole of the middle east. uh-oh!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Realistically, unless you have (very) recent ancestors from the country, are very rich, or have an advanced degree and a specific job offer from a major company, you are very unlikely to be able to immigrate to the EU with indefinite leave to stay and work. You're better off looking at Asian or South American countries, depending on where you see yourself being most comfortable.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Leroy Diplowski posted:

So, I peaced out to Canada before trump got elected because after a decade of activism I have feeling for what was coming. When you see MEʹNE, MEʹNE, TEʹKEL PARʹSIN written on the wall it's time to get the gently caress out of Judea. (If I may be so bold as to borrow a reference from my evangelical days)

Now is not the easiest time to get up here but if anyone decides they want to make a go of immigration to the one country that will probably be annexed by america in our lifetime feel free to PM me with questions.

I don't think Canada will be annexed, who wants to manage a bunch of boorish Canadians, but we will have all our resources expropriated by a dying American empire.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

want to live in an america with KFC Denton

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Dreylad posted:

I don't think Canada will be annexed, who wants to manage a bunch of boorish Canadians, but we will have all our resources expropriated by a dying American empire.

bad news for you about how fascist states deal with people they don't like or need

and no OP i'm going down swinging but im only around to do that because my family fled the nazis last time, so follow your heart imo

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

Dreylad posted:

we're also preped to accept American (climate) refugees

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I think you’d find it tough to emigrate to NZ atm, plus it’s expensive, but you’re welcome here.

I left the UK to move back here in 2017 and hooooo boy am I glad I did. We have plenty of problems but don’t seem to have capitalized our way into full throated fascism with quite as much vigour as the UK or US seem to

This early-century slide we’re seeing is making me look back over history with a new lens and a lot of the dark poo poo that went down is even more tragic when you just know there was probably a majority of people who saw it coming and knew it was bullshit but were powerless to stop it. one love

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

fabergay egg posted:

only state i can get into is israel lmfao. apartheid notwithstanding, the american governments target of “as much global warming as possible” is going to do really bad things to the livability of the whole of the middle east. uh-oh!

If everyone in c-spam joined the tribe and took a free Sheldon adelson vacation the world may end up a better place

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Gentle Autist posted:

I think you’d find it tough to emigrate to NZ atm, plus it’s expensive, but you’re welcome here.

I left the UK to move back here in 2017 and hooooo boy am I glad I did. We have plenty of problems but don’t seem to have capitalized our way into full throated fascism with quite as much vigour as the UK or US seem to

This early-century slide we’re seeing is making me look back over history with a new lens and a lot of the dark poo poo that went down is even more tragic when you just know there was probably a majority of people who saw it coming and knew it was bullshit but were powerless to stop it. one love

Real jealous of yall, like the only country in the Anglosphere that isnt a massive dumpster fire. Kudos to you all for shirking the English curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jokes on you, suckers, I have birthright citizenship in Hungary

now, to look up this Orban fellow, I hope he's a good egg