Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm a born and raised Canadian and some days I wonder if I should try to move to Ireland just to not be in the nuclear blast radius, being less than 20 km from the border. Can't fight the nazi infestation on the ground when it's across an international border so all I can do is watch millions die and possibly eventually get vaporized in my sleep by ICBMs

1/8th Irish heritage won't do poo poo for citizenship but I have a valid passport. All I need is money lol

Kazinsal has issued a correction as of 10:58 on Sep 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

indigi posted:

this is the funniest thing I’ve ever read
It's funny because it's true. Look at how America compared to Europe upon independence vs. how it compares today.

Filthy Hans posted:

jokes on you, suckers, I have birthright citizenship in Hungary

now, to look up this Orban fellow, I hope he's a good egg
EU citizenship means you're free to live anywhere in Europe, and then get a citizenship there. Offer only valid until the EU collapses.

Scary! Too
Apr 10, 2020

Brap

steinrokkan posted:

If there's one thing Europe needs, it's MORE American expats, sure. How about you clean up your mess instead of taking it with you elsewhere.

This is the same thing some of my family said when they were justifying trump’s concentration camps lol

International borders are bullshit anyways. If you’re living in the US and it’s threatening your quality of life, especially if you’re in a demographic that’s vulnerable to attack by fascism then I say leave if you sincerely believe your life is at threat. But parts of Europe are just as prone to fascism as the US, so I’d consider that in anyone’s move.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Filthy Hans posted:

jokes on you, suckers, I have birthright citizenship in Hungary

now, to look up this Orban fellow, I hope he's a good egg

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's funny because it's true. Look at how America compared to Europe upon independence vs. how it compares today.

EU citizenship means you're free to live anywhere in Europe, and then get a citizenship there. Offer only valid until the EU collapses.

Hans, you've hit the jackpot.

From Wiki: Schengen Area

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Ancestry may confer right to citizenship.

Check yours today!

Example: Italy. If eligibility's unbroken back to your great grandparent(s), you're an Italian citizen.

Example: Ireland. If your grandparent(s) held Irish citizenship, or your Great Grandparent(s) held Irish citizenship and your parent(s) registered in the Foreign Births Register at the time of your birth, you're eligible for Irish citizenship.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

GoutPatrol posted:

If everyone in c-spam joined the tribe and took a free Sheldon adelson vacation the world may end up a better place

organizing a bunch of goons to move to a kibbutz so as to skip the issue of establishing a new commune that brought down goon island

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
if in the future i have a place that can have guests, i'll take in goon refugees here in canada

if there are safe places left in america, some goons there may need to make the ultimate sacrifice (socializing with other goons)

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

kibbutz afek is very nice if you figure that one fascist nation isn’t worse than another. there’s a field of kalanyot (land sea anemone) that is beautiful when it blooms. also i got to play the original doom as a ten year old because i didn’t need to take english class. we can make sure that the ten year olds of tomorrow have access to the sharpest graphics and unsurpassed frame rates in doom eternal. i believe this community can make this happen, if nothing else.

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
there are worse things one could die for

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Don't you think you're being a little melodramatic?

12 Twelve Twelved
Dec 13, 2012
frankly if you want to immigrate and its something you feel is good for your family, you should do it, just be sober about it

in my family we have been refuges multiple times and have also immigrated to a few different countires

escaping war, ethnic cleansing, or socioeconomic collapse isn't exactly the same as GTFOing the USA right now, but if you feel it is the right decision for you or your family then do it now, its always easier before everyone else gets desperate

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
North Korea shot and burned a South Korean govt worker that tried to defect last week.

So uhh don't try that lol

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

poo poo now I wanna

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Accretionist posted:

Hans, you've hit the jackpot.

From Wiki: Schengen Area

holy gently caress

starting my citizenship process this morning, I guess

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
eu citizenship is much more deserved by africans and middle easterners we've hosed up for generations than white americans IMHO

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bedshaped posted:

eu citizenship is much more deserved by africans and middle easterners we've hosed up for generations than white americans IMHO

I've lived without much of my necessary health care requirements for the last 20 years so while I'm sympathetic to your position I very much need to be able to see doctors and not lose my mind and/or die

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
at the end if the day less people unecessarily suffering and dying is good, and its not ultimately about deserving.

it does turn out that people who are actively malicious and harmful to those around them also tend to deserve an arbitrary amount of hypothetical punishment

just don't turn around and go fygm once you're whereever you can get. i can't imagine being american and it isn't because of any moral superiority its just health care

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

holy gently caress

starting my citizenship process this morning, I guess

Heck yeah!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bedshaped posted:

You don't need a visa to travel to ireland for a holiday but you're not going to be able to work here unless your job is on a 'critical skills' list or if you have a nice degree and a really high paid job lined up here

because of the EU there's a huge supply of cheap legal labour so you can't really be an illegal worker here either.

Yeah most goons don't get that the basics.

A work visa is hard to get unless you have high in demand skills.

And the company has to prove that they couldn't find similar talent from a EU nation.

etalian has issued a correction as of 02:02 on Sep 29, 2020

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
how does the commonwealth work? can a canadian go work in new zealand with fewer strings?

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
lmao thinking you can run from this poo poo

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

12 Twelve Twelved posted:

frankly if you want to immigrate and its something you feel is good for your family, you should do it, just be sober about it

in my family we have been refuges multiple times and have also immigrated to a few different countires

escaping war, ethnic cleansing, or socioeconomic collapse isn't exactly the same as GTFOing the USA right now, but if you feel it is the right decision for you or your family then do it now, its always easier before everyone else gets desperate

This is complicated by the virus, though, since it’s basically impossible to enter many countries without an explicit personalized waiver. I know that right now it’s not going to be possible for me to go to my country of choice even with my wife’s entire family living there. So right now it’s just plan, save, and wait for an opening

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

i saw some of those dead azeris thrown in a hole the other day and thought yup might be right there with you soon enough buddy. and thats fine

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

breadnsucc posted:

lmao thinking you can run from this poo poo

you can, if you have the money

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
shooting nazis in CoD was some of the best times spent in my youth

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

i... could get citizenship in Trinidad & Tobago? but everyone would be confused by this (including myself)

my girlfriend and I have been joking about moving to Finland for years and years and it might be something to do in 10 years or whatever but leaving the U.S. now seems overly difficult

there’s plenty of institutional inertia and a lot of places in the continuous 48 to try before you give up - and then there’s Alaska! Alaska’s probably pretty nice.

once the Antarctic is denuded of ice and snow and open to resource extraction I bet there will be some boomtowns down there. the timing for that is in the air but every boomtown needs a crazy old coot!

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Someone pls help me escape to canada after watching this vp debate :shepicide:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

wolfs posted:

once the Antarctic is denuded of ice and snow and open to resource extraction I bet there will be some boomtowns down there. the timing for that is in the air but every boomtown needs a crazy old coot!

it's always been more lucrative to sell shovels than dig for gold

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

wolfs posted:

i... could get citizenship in Trinidad & Tobago? but everyone would be confused by this (including myself)

my girlfriend and I have been joking about moving to Finland for years and years and it might be something to do in 10 years or whatever but leaving the U.S. now seems overly difficult

there’s plenty of institutional inertia and a lot of places in the continuous 48 to try before you give up - and then there’s Alaska! Alaska’s probably pretty nice.

finland kind of sucks tho, move somewhere less cold/dark

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Gentle Autist posted:

Finland kinda sucks, it's cold and dark and basically free from all of this nonsense on account of it being just a lot to bother with.

The cities are on lockdown due to COVID - barely, just shutting down restaurants and pubs and concerts - and the countryside's so empty the virus can't get a proper foothold since everyone's isolated a lot anyway.

The government is discussing police brutality due to one cop getting a bit trigger happy with capsaicin spray when XR blocked a highway, healthcare is universal and there's a big decades-long fight about whether it should be single-payer or have all healthcare providers owned by the government, there's an ongoing campaign to stop treating teeth as special bones because it causes preventable health trouble the public healthcare system needs to pick up the tab for. The current highest-profile politician is currently in the middle of a scandal for basically saying "could you fuckers stop firing people for short term profits during a pandemic?", following the one where she told some Estonian high-up to gently caress off after he said a former cashier had no business being in government. There's also a lot of background noise about her not getting along with her father, as well as her mother having a long-term female partner, but that's so unimportant only the tabloids care anymore.

Overall, cold, dark and boring.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Gentle Autist posted:

finland is the happiest country in the world, actually. un says so

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

If there's one thing Europe needs, it's MORE American expats, sure. How about you clean up your mess instead of taking it with you elsewhere.

PalpatineIronic.jpg

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Bedshaped posted:

finland is the happiest country in the world, actually. un says so

whenever I’ve hung out/worked with finnish people they didn’t come across as happy (although that could barely been cos they were hanging out with me)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

nice meltdown

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Gentle Autist posted:

cold/dark owns and I want to live in it

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Ethics_Gradient has issued a correction as of 09:02 on Nov 5, 2020

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/CBPBuffalo/status/1371202790245163012

quote:

Early this morning, at approximately 4:30 A.M., Border Patrol agents responded to the lower Niagara River near the Lewiston Landing due to reports of a woman on a homemade raft. Lewiston Police, Niagara County Sheriff’s Deputies and local firefighters also responded to the scene to aid. Agents maneuvered to initiate a rescue due the freezing water and air temperatures after they discovered the woman located only 50 yards from the shore.

Agents from the shoreline then engaged in conversation with the woman and made multiple requests for her to return to the shore. The U.S. Coast Guard was notified after the woman ignored repeated requests and a water rescue may be required. The Coast Guard quickly responded and maneuvered their vessel near her to perform a water rescue, but she refused and paddled away. When the river current and Coast Guard vessel wake pushed her craft close to the shoreline, agents and officers attempted to rescue her, but backed away after she brandished a knife and threatened to kill anyone who approached her. Her craft again came close to the shoreline, but as agents and officers approached, she brandished two knives and again made verbal threats to harm anyone who approached her.

The woman was finally rescued from the homemade raft with the assistance of a Lewiston Police officer after an agent used a fishing net pole to knock the knives from her hands. She exhibited signs of hypothermia from extreme exposure and was immediately transported by Lewiston ambulance to Mount Saint Mary’s Hospital.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
your periodic reminder that escape is your best option if you can swing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just got a job and bought a house in coastal Bangladesh, gonna spend the next 50 years there :)