Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I'm lucky in that I have financial resources and a wife that's originally from a country that is politically pretty far removed from US influence and the potential fallout from any international conflicts. It certainly has some of it's own problems but eh, I can live with them. And with the new reality of work from home forever and my technical skills, I probably have enough leverage to be like 'I'm remote forever now, please don't schedule any meetings with me before 3pm because that's like 7am in my new timezone.'

Currently planning to scoop up some property there and split time 50/50 or so, but if things continue to decline then a permanent escape is on the table. I probably wouldn't be able to get full citizenship but indefinite leave to stay isn't hard. The biggest problem with this plan is transporting our giant spaz of a dog on a 16-hour plus flight. I imagine the answer to this problem is gonna be some good-rear end dog drugs, but I admit I haven't gone deep enough to find out my actual options here yet.

In summary, America has and always will suck rear end and the current trajectory is going hard towards sucking more not less. So gently caress everyone here, and have fun picking over the corpse I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

"I'm planning to vacation in my New Zealand summer home" but in a way that makes me sound victimized somehow

Never claimed to be a victim and I recognize we're currently safe and insulated from the worst of America's decline. That may not always hold since my wife is a non-white immigrant, but for now we're safe in our regional liberal bubble unless some executive order applicable to my wife's status forces our hand early. I guess I'm more in the camp of 'fleeing America cause gently caress this place' than exactly what the thread title suggests.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Entenzahn posted:

Moving to the EU is pretty difficult I think but like every country has their own rules of admission so maybe there's a way, who knows. I think Portugal is pretty lenient and they have legalized all drugs. If that doesn't float your boat you can still move to Liechtenstein after a couple years.

Honestly if I was in America and had the resources I'd move too. Might as well enjoy the last twenty years before we get hosed by the climate apocalypse in a country where you don't have to ration your sick days.

if you can trace an ancestor a couple generations back then some countries will offer to take you back. Other than that you need a lot of money for an investment visa. Like really a lot

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

chird posted:

I don’t know. I’d rank the Philippines quite highly on LGBT acceptance. Out of the places I’ve been, trans people are the biggest part of culture here. I’ve met far more trans people in the Philippines than anywhere else and their sexuality is, like, a footnote.

I’m a noob on the subject but Wikipedia says “The Philippines has been ranked one of the most gay-friendly nations in the world and is the most gay-friendly in Asia” and Filipino poet and critic Lilia Quindoza Santiago suggests “Filipino culture may have a more flexible concept of gender.”

“The heavily Catholic country is known for its conservatism, yet remarkably tolerant of its gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people” https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/29/world/asia/transgender-philippines-discrimination.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/03/in-the-philippines-they-think-about-gender-differently-we-could-too

Every country has its problems, and the Philippines has shitloads, but I don’t think trans-hating should be considered near the top of the list.

yeah being trans isn’t as much as an issue in the Philippines but if you don’t like Trump then maybe don’t google Duterte

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Fleetwood posted:

Filipinos are by far the coolest

yeah but sadly they have the worst of the southeast Asian food. it’s not even close

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Chinese: better
Thai: better
Indian: better
Singaporean/malaysian: better
korean: better
Vietnamese: better
Japanese: better
etc

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Ardennes posted:

The right choice is to stick with it

lol, nah. The right choice is to do what is best for yourself and your family. You are not going to be the one to make the difference in saving this country and it's probably not savable either way. Bug out if you can.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Xaris posted:

this. it’s like saying VOTE!

it’s a real poo poo thing for supposed “leftists” to shame and yell at Ecuadorian or Syrian refugees who went to America or Europe or some gay person who went from Kentucky to NYC that they should have just stayed put and fix things instead of seeking a better life for them and their families. real evil thing to do

you should do what’s best for your mental (and physical) health for your family and yourself

smdh at “leftists” advocating for super closed borders and telling everyone they should be rooted by the circumstances of their birth

and you can probably still vote in the US from where you end up so whatever

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Realistically, unless you have (very) recent ancestors from the country, are very rich, or have an advanced degree and a specific job offer from a major company, you are very unlikely to be able to immigrate to the EU with indefinite leave to stay and work. You're better off looking at Asian or South American countries, depending on where you see yourself being most comfortable.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

12 Twelve Twelved posted:

frankly if you want to immigrate and its something you feel is good for your family, you should do it, just be sober about it

in my family we have been refuges multiple times and have also immigrated to a few different countires

escaping war, ethnic cleansing, or socioeconomic collapse isn't exactly the same as GTFOing the USA right now, but if you feel it is the right decision for you or your family then do it now, its always easier before everyone else gets desperate

This is complicated by the virus, though, since it’s basically impossible to enter many countries without an explicit personalized waiver. I know that right now it’s not going to be possible for me to go to my country of choice even with my wife’s entire family living there. So right now it’s just plan, save, and wait for an opening

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

your periodic reminder that escape is your best option if you can swing it

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

well my marriage documentation is finally fully approved in my wife’s country of origin so I’m just a few short steps away from yanking the eject lever

only thing really tethering me here at this point is I have no idea how I’m gonna get my complete spaz of a dog across the pacific

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

periodic reminder

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Wakko posted:

every western nation will be descending into some kind of death cult over the next two decades as late stage capitalism unwinds and the biosphere collapses. you don't have to fight for this country but start training to fight now unless you'd prefer to be dumped unceremoniously into a mass grave by an earth mover.

death is quickly coming for us all and the best you can do is delay it some and reduce your interactions with lovely Americans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

The Saucer Hovers posted:

or maybe even leverage your privilege to help anyone else or really do anything other than run and hide like a puppy dog

I have the resources to assist my family and the people I immediately care about and not much more. Good on you if you have the capacity and compassion to do more than that