Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MorrisBae posted:

if I can just take off for a year without a visa of any kind, or how that would even work. Like what happens if you tell the US government you'll be back in a year and then you don't come back?

Anyone else having similar thoughts?

nobody from the US is likely to chase after you but you're gonna have a hell of a hard time finding a place to be for that year+ without any paperwork

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 18:05 on Sep 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TrixRabbi posted:

Guess it really depends on whether you think their system is more stable/better equipped to resist the freefall into authoritarian fascism we're in. You still have the Qanon freaks but is Germany overall about to break out into civil war?

if the US goes full fash what exactly do you think all of its vassal states are going to do

furiously googling "where did the Nazis build their camps" rn

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Good Citizen posted:

I'm lucky in that I have financial resources and a wife that's originally from a country that is politically pretty far removed from US influence and the potential fallout from any international conflicts. It certainly has some of it's own problems but eh, I can live with them. And with the new reality of work from home forever and my technical skills, I probably have enough leverage to be like 'I'm remote forever now, please don't schedule any meetings with me before 3pm because that's like 7am in my new timezone.'

Currently planning to scoop up some property there and split time 50/50 or so, but if things continue to decline then a permanent escape is on the table. I probably wouldn't be able to get full citizenship but indefinite leave to stay isn't hard. The biggest problem with this plan is transporting our giant spaz of a dog on a 16-hour plus flight. I imagine the answer to this problem is gonna be some good-rear end dog drugs, but I admit I haven't gone deep enough to find out my actual options here yet.

In summary, America has and always will suck rear end and the current trajectory is going hard towards sucking more not less. So gently caress everyone here, and have fun picking over the corpse I guess

lmao

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Sep 2, 2020

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

"I'm planning to vacation in my New Zealand summer home" but in a way that makes me sound victimized somehow

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

poo poo now I wanna