Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
This has been on my mind a lot lately.

Options are limited, obviously. But starting a new life in Ireland or Mexico (since there's not many other places that will take us) is looking attractive. I'd have to leave behind my fascist boomer family, but I'm already over that. I'm a generation removed from being able to claim Irish citizenship by birthright (your grandparent needs to have been born in Ireland). Wondering if I can just take off for a year without a visa of any kind, or how that would even work. Like what happens if you tell the US government you'll be back in a year and then you don't come back?

Anyone else having similar thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

err posted:

ireland is open to refugees?

If you're a non-citizen and can't claim citizenship by birthright, you can apply to become a citizen after:

5 years of residency in Ireland
3 years of residency in Ireland (if you're married to an Irish citizen)

Refugees are put into shared public housing called Direct Provision until they can be granted more suitable housing and residency status so they can work full-time, but this process can take 3+ years.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Hodgepodge posted:

seriously, though, if you can't find a place in america where you can build a supportive social network with people around you, moving to another country isn't going to help. like, you have to care about more than yourself. yes, people want to kill you openly. that isn't a new thing, it's just the fleeting protection that was barely there is evaporating. if you just abandon everyone else in your boat to flee like a rich person to a bunker, you also leave them behind. to die. and you choose this above fighting for them.

All of my family are fascists. Every single one. Even the liberal members that are somewhat sympathetic won’t risk abandoning their inheritance to stand up against fascism.

So if I’m fighting for myself, why fight at all?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Hodgepodge posted:

Yeah, if you're in Chudville, get out. If you happen to have dual citizenship of some sort that might be to another country, but unless you have an easy path to that I'd be looking at finding a community that is prepared to defend itself from chuds.

I have a passport, so flying to Ireland and seeking asylum right away is an option. I’d be put in shared public housing in the middle of a pandemic, though.

Other option is renting a place there for a year. Trip insurance is reasonable, but there’s all sorts of “ALL COVID-19 RELATED MEDICAL AND TRANSPORTATION COSTS ARE NOT COVERED” disclaimers attached to the policies (although I’m sure the cash price for a hospital stay in Ireland isn’t insane like it is in America)

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/CBPBuffalo/status/1371202790245163012

quote:

Early this morning, at approximately 4:30 A.M., Border Patrol agents responded to the lower Niagara River near the Lewiston Landing due to reports of a woman on a homemade raft. Lewiston Police, Niagara County Sheriff’s Deputies and local firefighters also responded to the scene to aid. Agents maneuvered to initiate a rescue due the freezing water and air temperatures after they discovered the woman located only 50 yards from the shore.

Agents from the shoreline then engaged in conversation with the woman and made multiple requests for her to return to the shore. The U.S. Coast Guard was notified after the woman ignored repeated requests and a water rescue may be required. The Coast Guard quickly responded and maneuvered their vessel near her to perform a water rescue, but she refused and paddled away. When the river current and Coast Guard vessel wake pushed her craft close to the shoreline, agents and officers attempted to rescue her, but backed away after she brandished a knife and threatened to kill anyone who approached her. Her craft again came close to the shoreline, but as agents and officers approached, she brandished two knives and again made verbal threats to harm anyone who approached her.

The woman was finally rescued from the homemade raft with the assistance of a Lewiston Police officer after an agent used a fishing net pole to knock the knives from her hands. She exhibited signs of hypothermia from extreme exposure and was immediately transported by Lewiston ambulance to Mount Saint Mary’s Hospital.