Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Left Britain about 12 years ago.

In China, u can get multiple one-year student visas. It’s super cheap. You can live off campus and just do your own poo poo basically. It’s a crazy fun place I’m nostalgic for. But language barrier makes entry difficult if you’re not interested in learning it.

Philippines is visitor-friendly, u get multiple six-month visas in a row without leaving the country, then just fly to Hong Kong and back every few years. Everyone speaks English, there’s fast fiber internet in most cities, it has all American brands and poo poo and there’s a million beaches. Not as cheap as China but cheaper than US. Almost all US visitors are old and chuddy, living off retirement savings, but u can avoid them completely if u don’t go to that one bar. Rent and real estate are cheap (except for condos which are a rip off). medical stuff is cheap in Philippines too with good facilities

if u don’t mind traveling, u just go from country to country every few months, depending on your visa. Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia are all nice and not expensive. Europe offers a cross-border visa and all-you-can-ride international train ticket. But Europe is expensive. caveat: covid has kinda hosed this.

Brits can go to Hong Kong for six months at a time without visa, but it’s kinda an expensive place. Singapore too. I dunno about similar deals for Americans.

U need a job u can do online. With that, u can go anywhere basically.

chird has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Sep 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chird
Sep 26, 2004

I don’t know. I’d rank the Philippines quite highly on LGBT acceptance. Out of the places I’ve been, trans people are the biggest part of culture here. I’ve met far more trans people in the Philippines than anywhere else and their sexuality is, like, a footnote.

I’m a noob on the subject but Wikipedia says “The Philippines has been ranked one of the most gay-friendly nations in the world and is the most gay-friendly in Asia” and Filipino poet and critic Lilia Quindoza Santiago suggests “Filipino culture may have a more flexible concept of gender.”

“The heavily Catholic country is known for its conservatism, yet remarkably tolerant of its gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people” https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/29/world/asia/transgender-philippines-discrimination.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/03/in-the-philippines-they-think-about-gender-differently-we-could-too

Every country has its problems, and the Philippines has shitloads, but I don’t think trans-hating should be considered near the top of the list.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Agreed.