Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

Good Citizen posted:

yeah being trans isn’t as much as an issue in the Philippines but if you don’t like Trump then maybe don’t google Duterte

glad to hear the philippines have something good and cool, but yeah, liquidating the indigenous population as "terrorists" is not a great sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!
seriously, though, if you can't find a place in america where you can build a supportive social network with people around you, moving to another country isn't going to help. like, you have to care about more than yourself. yes, people want to kill you openly. that isn't a new thing, it's just the fleeting protection that was barely there is evaporating. if you just abandon everyone else in your boat to flee like a rich person to a bunker, you also leave them behind. to die. and you choose this above fighting for them.

none of that will change if you move somewhere else. maybe you have no choice (i'm not going to pretend to be some judge of your personal situations), but you still have to change that if you want to be safe, because the standard of safety you are used to is based on the power and authority of same people who want to kill you.

and if it's impossible to do that, then we're all hosed and you may as well enjoy the time you have without the stress of immigration

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 05:51 on Sep 19, 2020

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

MorrisBae posted:

All of my family are fascists. Every single one. Even the liberal members that are somewhat sympathetic won’t risk abandoning their inheritance to stand up against fascism.

So if I’m fighting for myself, why fight at all?

Yeah, if you're in Chudville, get out. If you happen to have dual citizenship of some sort that might be to another country, but unless you have an easy path to that I'd be looking at finding a community that is prepared to defend itself from chuds.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

MorrisBae posted:

I have a passport, so flying to Ireland and seeking asylum right away is an option. I’d be put in shared public housing in the middle of a pandemic, though.

Other option is renting a place there for a year. Trip insurance is reasonable, but there’s all sorts of “ALL COVID-19 RELATED MEDICAL AND TRANSPORTATION COSTS ARE NOT COVERED” disclaimers attached to the policies (although I’m sure the cash price for a hospital stay in Ireland isn’t insane like it is in America)

this is a tough time to travel at all

if becoming a literal refugee is more practical than finding a safe place in america, then you should probably do it. i mean, if youre at that point, i hope i don't have to tell you that it isn't a certain or easy path.

e: i should mention that it sounds like your social circle are rich. so of course they're fascist assholes. even if you move to ireland, you're going to be in a very catholic country. make friends with people without money, because the rich won't be better people.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 07:56 on Sep 19, 2020

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

Dreylad posted:

I don't think Canada will be annexed, who wants to manage a bunch of boorish Canadians, but we will have all our resources expropriated by a dying American empire.

we're also preped to accept American (climate) refugees

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!
if in the future i have a place that can have guests, i'll take in goon refugees here in canada

if there are safe places left in america, some goons there may need to make the ultimate sacrifice (socializing with other goons)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!
at the end if the day less people unecessarily suffering and dying is good, and its not ultimately about deserving.

it does turn out that people who are actively malicious and harmful to those around them also tend to deserve an arbitrary amount of hypothetical punishment

just don't turn around and go fygm once you're whereever you can get. i can't imagine being american and it isn't because of any moral superiority its just health care