Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Newest thing: Update 4!

Yes yes YES

I think I need a break after the depression-fest that was Darkwood, Bacter! Whaddya got that's happy and light?

Oh boy oh boy do I have the game for you! It's bleak, with a near-hopeless atmosphere of crushing poverty, rampant corruption, and nonstop ultraviolence!

BUT the color palette is TOTALLY different!

Come on, man.

No trust me. TRUST me. You're gonna LOVE Katana Zero.

Convince me.

It's just pure undiluted gritty late 80s early 90s cyberpunk action! Rainy, neon-glowing massive cities, a strong punk aesthetic, a futuristic plot with cool tech, nested betrayals, high stakes, and a really really really good soundtrack!

I'm liking it so far

And the GAMEPLAY couldn't be any different. Darkwood was... really really atmospheric, but thrived on negative space. Darkness. Katana Zero is BURSTING with details, color, lights, characters... give it a chance, and you will eat. it. UP.

Sounds like YOU like it at least

It is 100% my jam. I was recommended it by those that know me well.

How we doing playthroughs?

At least 3. One for plot, one for alternative plot, one for speedrun.

Requests for the audience?

As in all my LPs, NO SPOILERS NO DISCUSSING ANYTHING WE HAVEN'T SEEN YET. Also, please call out any references I miss! There are lots!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I might put links to the OST here? Either way, it's tradition to reserve the second post!

pointy corpse
Jul 7, 2014

heck yeah! I've seen a speedrun of this game and I had no idea what was happening at any point in it! Super pumped for any sort of explanation at all!

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Getting a real Hiro Protagonist vibe from the actually lethal weeb living in a tiny box of an apartment.

Looking forward to the fights escalating!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

pointy corpse posted:

heck yeah! I've seen a speedrun of this game and I had no idea what was happening at any point in it! Super pumped for any sort of explanation at all!

I’m going to do some thinking on how to represent this as it gets crazier and crazier - it feels SO GOOD to just obliterate a room, but it can just look like a big cartoon dust cloud fight, and I’m hoping to show how simple inputs can generate that spectacle!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This seems very cool. I don't have anything substantial to add sorry

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I knew what the gameplay was like going in but I had absolutely no idea about the story. This is a hell of a ride.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Aw yeah! New Bacter LP!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

The game, as I'm sure some of you have seen from speedruns, gets EXPONENTIALLY more frenetic. We're just starting to peek into that, but I already want to point out the giant variety of levels and designs, and the great rolling tutorial that is the early levels.

Marvel at those, and peer deeper down the rabbit hole, during...

(needs a minute to update)

ALSO

Let's learn something about ourselves the only sensible way - through a vote

How do we feel about... partying?

1) Actually the life of the party, we're just going through a lot right now

or

2) While you were out partying, I studied the blade

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

2, of course

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

1 this time.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

2, this man doesn't look like a partier. Did you see him dance in the club?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

1 seems best for this playthrough; he's kind of a goof sometimes, and doesn't seem like the full on serious type. I'd keep the "rarr I'm a fierce brooding swordsman" thing for when he's being a gruff dick.

That said, I wanted to make a couple notes about our guy's design. The first is that he's wearing his sword upside down. The curve should face up so that you're less likely to cut through your scabbard and/or hand when you draw your sword. The second is that he's wearing his gi with one shoulder/arm exposed. As I understand it, that's supposed to signify that the person is a ronin, or a samurai without a master, usually because they were disgraced or their master died. Depending on how much the devs know about samurai and/or swordsmanship, these could both be interesting insights into our character.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

2. It's like our astute neighbour says, we're boring.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Awww yeeeaaaah this game. It's awesome and the music slaps.

Also, 2.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
1) Actually the life of the party, we're just going through a lot right now

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
YOu going for the secret collectibles as well?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

this is really cool, but i'm having a hard time hearing any of the audio over your voice. could you maybe play with the audio balance a bit?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Gideon020 posted:

YOu going for the secret collectibles as well?

We'll get there. No spoilers!

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

This guy clearly knows how to party.

placid saviour fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 12, 2020

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
2. There’s no way you get that good with a sword without putting some serious time in.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Whybird fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 10, 2020

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I'm always gratified to see a close vote!

But the one true samurai...
PARTIES

and now it's time to see that in action!

(pictured: a robot party)

Of course, now we've got quite another decision ahead of us.

Do we choose....

life?
or
death?

pick wisely, because that WILL be the official choice of this run, and believe me, it carries some weight!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Katana man is a funny man.

Life

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I might cave and pick this up myself after last episode.

Death.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
That was a great video. Is there a name for this genre yet, the 2d shooty/slashy/kill lots of people but with an interesting story? I think The Final Station is probably my favorite, but K0 is really intriguing as well.

Edit: Forgot to vote. Life.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

We're the life of the party.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I had a much easier time hearing the game audio this time :yayclod:

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Wonder how this choice us going to play out. Lose our precognition vs lose our weapon? Anyway, choose life.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Death before Dishonour. Life before Death.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
"Please, my friend, choose life."

(The binary code translated to sorry no easter eggs.)

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

biosterous posted:

I had a much easier time hearing the game audio this time :yayclod:

Glad it worked! I was worried about being drowned out before, cranked up the audio this time.

I don’t know if there IS a genre name for this? But there definitely are a few core games I always think of when this genre comes up - hotline Miami, deadbolt, ronin, this...

Snorb posted:

(The binary code translated to sorry no easter eggs.)

Haha, nice!

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Life

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's LIFE Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Life.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Death

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
If I choose life they'll take away death, what the hell would that mean? I'm honestly conflicted.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Also, the final boss is 100% going to be someone else on Chronos who has the same time-bullshit powers that we do, right? Though I have no idea how they'd do that without breaking the core game mechanic of being able to rewind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

What WOULD it mean, for two precogs to fight each other? What would it mean for one to die? What does it mean for someone with the power to slow time and see the future TO die?

ANSWER?

SHUT UP YOUR FACE, AND CHECK OUT THIS RAD MOTORCYCLE GUNFIGHT

(also yes we will need to grapple with some philosophy, and SOON. But not yet. But soon.)