Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Beelzebufo posted:

As an outside observer (:canada:) to this, am I wrong to hope the Scotland does vote for independence? I only know what I read from international news sources, so I don't know the realities on the ground, but it does seem with Brexit that Scotland couldn't possibly be that much worse off without the rest of the UK. I'm curious what people who are actually directly implicated in this feel.

I think that long term, independence will either be positive to neutral for Scotland, and much like last time, I'm so despairing of hope for the UK every becoming a better place that I'm willing to give basically anything a try.

Short term, however, I think the economic impact will be pretty bad. Setting up new institutions is difficult and expensive, and I think it likely that a newly independent Scotland is going to have to borrow heavily or go through some form of austerity to get on its feet--neither of these things should have to be the case, but fundamentally we live in an international capitalist system which is probably going to try to Shock Doctrine us, and it's probably going to work given that the people who will be leading us into it are essentially centrist neoliberals.

The way the brexit negotiations have gone are instructive too; they were an absolute car crash that made things worse for everyone involved, largely the fault of one side in that negotiation refusing to accept anything other than having everything they wanted until the last possible second, and that's the people we'll be negotiating independence with. The SNP might not want a hard border between Scotland and England, but if independence goes ahead, I'm not sure the Tories would agree. I'd fully expect spite to be a motivator on the UK side of things when the negotiations start.

Despite that, I don't see a viable alternative. I really thought the UK as a whole might have had a chance for better things over the last few years, and had the last two elections gone differently I doubt I'd want to leave. But at least independence represents a chance for things to change for the better. Nothing is going to change in Scottish politics until the matter is settled one way or another, and the way I see it the only way that happens is either independence wins, or it loses like 3 referendums and everyone gives up and resigns themselves to staying on board the sinking ship or misery that is the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU