Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I had to stop and read about the AMS system now, and ... huh. It seems like an interesting way to try to get both the "personal" representation of the English system and the proportional representation of something like the Norwegian system - though yeah it is a bit odd that the levelling is done per region instead of nationally.

For comparison, we (Norway) do a single vote, for a list in our region. Each region elects a number of MPs, split proportionally. There is then a single extra seat per region (so 19 of the 169), allocated at the end to make the complete parliament as close as possible to what you'd get if there was just one big region.

Never mind that the number of representatives per region is slightly weighted by land area to overrepresent the large empty northern regions, and that you are only eligible for those last seats if you get over 4%. (It's always exciting to see which of the multiple small parties manage to claw their way above the border for an extra MP or two).

The clear downside compared to the English or even Scottish system is that I didn't really vote for any single person, just for an amorphous collective - there is no single person who is "my" representative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU