Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

Mind, this'd be a moot point if the SNP hadn't selfishly pushed their both votes SNP so strongly.

why would any party not do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh yeah that's a lovely system, thanks

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i was just under the impression that the list seats were off of a nationwide proportional vote, not the region system. that makes polling really hard and challenges the basic assumption any party would want: as many people voting for it as possible. in a hypothetical race among like 3-5 parties with a polling tie, a turnout battle would still be appropriate. but with the SNP and the large polling lead, you have to pay attention to marginals and play a tightrope between traditional turnout and endorsing an ally. that sucks and makes polls more important than they should be

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Perestroika posted:

Not exactly, Germany (no idea about NZ) uses a variation where the list/proportional votes are the sole determinant of the relative number of seats a party can gain, irrespective of local/constituency votes. So if party X gets 40% of the list votes, they get 40% of the seats in the respective parliament, irrespective of the constituency results. The constituency votes just decide which particular party members get to fill those seats, and once all constituency winners have been placed the remaining seats are filled from the list. If a party wins more constituency seats than they would be entitled to from the list vote, the size of the parliament is increased with additional seats to the other parties so that the proportion of seats for each party stays the same.

right, thanks for articulating that. germany (and i believe mexico) use what i was thinking of originally. if not nationally, then multi-member regions decided on PR and like you said irrespective of constituency results. i didn't expect scotland to be big enough to incorporate the region model and totally didn't understand the cap based on constituency results

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 12, 2021