Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Ok, we've all been stuck inside for half a year, and in that time, of course, we've all become incredible and resourceful cooks, right? I for one am definitely not just eating raw limes on a Sunday morning using my leg as a plate-- and neither are you, superstar!

We're all, let's not be modest, kitchen superheroes by now. Which is fair because as decades of novelty cookbooks and stray in-text recipes have demonstrated, superheroes are not always very good in the kitchen.

Take for example the kid-friendly 1977 Mighty Marvel Superheroes Cookbook (with art by Joe Giella of Mary Worth fame) which kicks off a pancake recipe with "make pancakes" and then advises you to make raisin bread by just shoving raisins into bread:

(with further digressions into ghastly 70s cuisine involving lots of hot dogs, lots of can openers, and lots of undercooked bacon)

Or, you could crack open your nearest copy of the July, 1981 issue of Woman's Day and consult the four-page DC Super Heroes Super Healthy Cookbook for inspiration from the distinguished competition, for example a burger which can convert from nebbishy and underwhelming:

to ostensibly super with the flick of a bun

Other recipes offered over the years have more of a solid root in narrative, for example Green Arrow's notorious chili, which was first mentioned in 1971

and got a recipe courtesy of Scott McCuller in 2002's Green Arrow Secret Files & Origins

More recently, New Mutants #10 gave us details on Glob Herman's vegetarian laksa, which a few goons have already made and vouched for (thank you Ed Brisson!).

This is all to say nothing of more recent cookbooks, other recipes scattered here and there in individual issues, or of course iconic or signature comic book meals that speak for themselves-- Spider-Man loves a wheatcake, Martian Manhunter loves an Oreo, and the recent Birds of Prey movie got pretty lyrical about the classic bodega breakfast sandwich.

To participate in this challenge, just post your best comics-adjacent dish and report back on how it was. Feel free to follow a recipe but if you'd rather trust your instinct than a 40 year old novelty cookbook, go ahead and wing it or draw inspiration from elsewhere. Modify and update as you see fit-- make a Superman veggie burger, or, in the case of the Mighty Marvel book's ghastly sounding kung fu burger, don't feel obligated to find and consume mid-century canned lo mein for this forum's sake. If you're more into indie comics, Maggie & Hopey are always all about huevos con chorizo, true Mary Worth fanatics could make Madi's forbidden banana bread, and so on. There are tons and tons of cooking mangas that could be mined for inspiration, as well.

As for prizes, participation is key here. If you want a new avatar or title and feel like throwing together that huge sandwich Ultimate Colossus loves so much, it's yours. A little gang tag is also tentatively in the works if you'd like that to commemorate as well.

So get cooking!!

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ahoy Comics are putting recipes in their latest books in the back. Those would also be a good place to check out. (Billionaire Island is a good read.)

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

brb trying to figure out how to make alive little chocolate people with raspberry filling.

or psychedelic swamp thing tubers

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

The Voice of Labor posted:

brb trying to figure out how to make alive little chocolate people with raspberry filling.

or psychedelic swamp thing tubers

It would be quite possible to infuse vegetables with psychedelics, thinking on it.

I don't think that would count.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
does it count if i steal 40 cakes?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Homora Gaykemi posted:

does it count if i steal 40 cakes?

I'll allow it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Flash #226 has a backup story of Green Lantern going camping and following Ollie's famous chili recipe. But oh no, he forgot the mushrooms! Welp just gonna forage these ones he found in the woods. Later, GL can't seem to control his ring --- because, duh, he's tripping balls.

Anyways, as a comic nerdette and mild-mannered line cook by day, I am so down with this thread. Thanks HW!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Is there a timetable for this whole effort or are we just doing it whenever we can get to something?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

ManiacClown posted:

Is there a timetable for this whole effort or are we just doing it whenever we can get to something?

Take your time!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

oh hey does that sandwich robin makes in teen titans go! count?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

oh hey does that sandwich robin makes in teen titans go! count?

Absolutely

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I think I am definitely gonna make some macarons for this!

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

This thread coincided with me reading the Zeb Wells/Abnett-Lanning run of the New Mutants (verdict: good stories, wildly inconsistent art). There's a sort of running joke about their Latverian landlady, Mrs. Livitz, serving the team steaming bowls of prokporzhki prod, a typical Latverian dish:

Braised pork, potatoes, allspice, cream, and paprika. Latverian cookbooks are hard to find, so I couldn't get a recipe! Mrs. Livitz mentions another dish, bigos doomorschi ("Doom's soup"), which at least shares a name with a real dish (bigos, a Polish sauerkraut stew). These are just words made up to sound funny and vaguely Slavic. That said, the ingredients suggest it's basically a goulash, and now that the weather is cooling off, this sounded rib-sticking good! Here's what I did.

I started by browning about 1.5 lbs of pork shoulder.

Sauteed onion, garlic, and (because I had it around the house) red bell pepper.

Some acidity in a dish likes this helps lighten it and brighten the flavors. Here, sour cream would be great. Or do what I did and add 3/4 cup of sauerkraut.

Spices! Lots of Hungarian paprika (about 3T), some allspice, and black pepper.

I added a cup or so of chicken stock and it was time to cook. Traditionally you'd cook it at a low temperature for an hour or two, but Doom wants Doom's subjects to use the newest technologies that Doom provides! So, into the pressure cooker for 30 minutes.

Because I don't really care for potatoes, I left them out. Instead, I made homemade noodles. I figured cutting them irregularly was appropriate for a rustic dish like this (and is quicker).

After it finished cooking, I reduced the liquid some, then added a half cup of heavy cream. And here it is, prokporzhki prod!

Verdict: delicious! Truly a meal fit for a mutant, Doctor Doom, or a goon. Cooking a non-existent dish is good fun! And the best part was telling my kids that DOOM DEMANDS ALL CHILDREN CLEAN THEIR PLATES BEFORE DESSERT, etc. Hail Doom, and bon appetit!

Zombie Dachshund fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 19, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Zombie Dachshund posted:

This thread coincided with me reading the Zeb Wells/Abnett-Lanning run of the New Mutants (verdict: good stories, wildly inconsistent art). There's a sort of running joke about their Latverian landlady, Mrs. Livitz, serving the team steaming bowls of prokporzhki prod, a typical Latverian dish:

Braised pork, potatoes, allspice, cream, and paprika. Latverian cookbooks are hard to find, so I couldn't get a recipe! Mrs. Livitz mentions another dish, bigos doomorschi ("Doom's soup"), which at least shares a name with a real dish (bigos, a Polish sauerkraut stew). These are just words made up to sound funny and vaguely Slavic. That said, the ingredients suggest it's basically a goulash, and now that the weather is cooling off, this sounded rib-sticking good! Here's what I did.

I started by browning about 1.5 lbs of pork shoulder.

Sauteed onion, garlic, and (because I had it around the house) red bell pepper.

Some acidity in a dish likes this helps lighten it and brighten the flavors. Here, sour cream would be great. Or do what I did and add 3/4 cup of sauerkraut.

Spices! Lots of Hungarian paprika (about 3T), some allspice, and black pepper.

I added a cup or so of chicken stock and it was time to cook. Traditionally you'd cook it at a low temperature for an hour or two, but Doom wants Doom's subjects to use the newest technologies that Doom provides! So, into the pressure cooker for 30 minutes.

Because I don't really care for potatoes, I left them out. Instead, I made homemade noodles. I figured cutting them irregularly was appropriate for a rustic dish like this (and is quicker).

After it finished cooking, I reduced the liquid some, then added a half cup of heavy cream. And here it is, prokporzhki prod!

Verdict: delicious! Truly a meal fit for a mutant, Doctor Doom, or a goon. Cooking a non-existent dish is good fun! And the best part was telling my kids that DOOM DEMANDS ALL CHILDREN CLEAN THEIR PLATES BEFORE DESSERT, etc. Hail Doom, and bon appetit!

This looks incredible and a lot like the goulashes that my mom (not Latverian) used to cook.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

The multi-talented Bingo Bango has whipped this up as a potential tag for anyone who wants to participate in this:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Another potential source for the thread is Robin Ha's Cook Korean! A Comic Book With Recipes, which I've been using for a few years to relive my wild youth in Korea. Her dakbokkeumtang is good as hell! There's a few preview recipes here, including my favourite one.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Another potential source for the thread is Robin Ha's Cook Korean! A Comic Book With Recipes, which I've been using for a few years to relive my wild youth in Korea. Her dakbokkeumtang is good as hell! There's a few preview recipes here, including my favourite one.

I was considering making something out of Ha but it sort of felt too much like a freebie. It is a really cool book though and I totally encourage anybody who wants to to make something out of it.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

How Wonderful! posted:

This looks incredible and a lot like the goulashes that my mom (not Latverian) used to cook.

Thanks! I enjoyed it, and it was a fun exercise.

Also, I’d love a gang tag, whenever those go out!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

skimmed back through teen titans go! glad I did, as the wiki page says that the perfect sandwich has pickles in it, and I am unconvinced.

https://teen-titans-go.fandom.com/wiki/Perfect_Sandwich

gotta get a package of cotto salami which I'm not thrilled about and I gotta rewatch the part where robin's putting the sauce together to try and figure out what's supposed to be in it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So, the Spiderman ps4 video game has two complete recipes in it (Wheatcakes and dumplings). Is that acceptable? Cause it's a comic book vidya game, it's on the edge, and I wanna confirm. If it is, later this week (like friday) I shall make the dumplings.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, the Spiderman ps4 video game has two complete recipes in it (Wheatcakes and dumplings). Is that acceptable? Cause it's a comic book vidya game, it's on the edge, and I wanna confirm. If it is, later this week (like friday) I shall make the dumplings.

Absolutely, I forgot about the dumplings but I was absolutely expecting to see the wheatcakes pop up at some point.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

help me out thread

the red bottle's chili sauce, the yellow bottle is lemon juice?, the dark brown bottle is banana sauce?, the light brown bottle is mushroom ketchup? and the green bottle is...like I have no idea what the green bottle is

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The light brown bottle could be truffle oil? Which would make the dark brown bottle garlic... sauce? I can see a perfect sandwich having aioli.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

help me out thread

the red bottle's chili sauce, the yellow bottle is lemon juice?, the dark brown bottle is banana sauce?, the light brown bottle is mushroom ketchup? and the green bottle is...like I have no idea what the green bottle is

The green bottle could be kind of a salsa verde, zhoug, chimichurri? Maybe Robin buys really runny relish.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Inkspot posted:

The light brown bottle could be truffle oil? Which would make the dark brown bottle garlic... sauce? I can see a perfect sandwich having aioli.

that felt like so right, the sauce even has a golden glow, but there's no egg and I doubt ttg robin would pass on an opportunity to crack an egg on it

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

How Wonderful! posted:

The green bottle could be kind of a salsa verde, zhoug, chimichurri? Maybe Robin buys really runny relish.

is that...is that a pickle?

I'm sticking with the mushroom ketchup theory. Though that does make the lemon juice redundant.

so it would either be relish or herb paste
lemon juice
chili sauce
garlic sauce
and mushroom ketchup

that sounds p good. I think I will consider the lemon an animation mistake and use mustard for the yellow ingredient

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Looking at the label, I think dark brown bottle is banana ketchup. In WW2, US soldiers in the Philippines/Pacific wanted ketchup, but tomatoes weren't around. Bananas were plentiful, so they made ketchup out of those instead, and it's stuck as a condiment. It also fits the brown color (the red kinds you see bottled are usually dyed red to look more like tomato ketchup).

So I'd guess dark brown is banana ketchup, light brown is mushroom ketchup. The picture on the green one is still puzzling the heck outta me, though.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

drat that sounds like a pain to make. the other recipe I was looking at was mostly molasses and vinegar.

I wonder if the perfect sandwich would care if I just mixed worcestershire sauce and banana ketchup.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Could the green bottle be lime juice?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I'm also going to give everybody blanket thumbs-up on altering or adjusting recipes to your preference. I was getting ready to make the vegan shepherd's pie from Scott Pilgrim tonight and realized I'd really rather not use gravy from a packet so I'm going in a slightly different direction, because in 2020 Stephen Stills is no longer the boss of me. I encourage you to similarly branch out and make whatever version of whatever you're cooking will be best for you.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the supermarket had no banana sauce. closest I can come up with is sweetening some katsu sauce. substitutions abound. reproducing fictional recipes in the time of covid is extra tough

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

You should probably hedge your bets a little with the sandwich anyway to avoid having to fight it when you're done.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Novelty cookbooks are one of my favorite things, and the return of Cathy to the comic strip thread reminded me of this improbable but also, honestly, inevitable thing:

It's available to borrow from archive.org.

Weirdly, it was published a year later overseas under another title...

...that's also on archive.org. Maybe Cathy, the comic strip, isn't as big in the UK; I really have no idea, but it's interesting.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Pastry of the Year posted:

Novelty cookbooks are one of my favorite things, and the return of Cathy to the comic strip thread reminded me of this improbable but also, honestly, inevitable thing:

...that's also on archive.org. Maybe Cathy, the comic strip, isn't as big in the UK; I really have no idea, but it's interesting.

Someone, please

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Are you doing this one? If not, I feel like doing it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

ManiacClown posted:

Are you doing this one? If not, I feel like doing it.

Nope, I just thought it was funny. Go for it :cheers:

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Nope, I just thought it was funny. Go for it :cheers:

I spoke to my wife. This is dinner tonight.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Well, I'm sold.

Edit: Holy poo poo, I haven't thought about Boboli in ages

Bingo Bango fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I made this. Aldi's ingredients meant I had to use only 2.22 pounds of ground beef, so it was just as well the chili cans were 15 oz. each, so I used two for 30. This made slightly less than the recipe contemplates, but that's just as well because it turns out we're going to be eating this for a while. I followed the recipe otherwise, almost forgetting to put in the pepper (standard black) and salt (kosher). I posted a full gallery of progress shots to Imgur and I was going to post highlights, but I can't figure out how to link to individual images within it. I would definitely make this again, but I'd use more salt and pepper next time. It needs a bit more seasoning. I'd probably also spring for some 90/10 or better instead because I can tell this is drat greasy.

Deviations other than amount were that first we ladled it into individual bowls because this is dinner and my wife and I are not going to be both shoving chips into the same container. No. Second, neither of us care for black olives so she got a couple tomatoes out of our garden and we used those as a topping. Overall, it's pleasant.

EDIT FOR ADVICE: Use strong chips. This is a dense mixture. It's breaking the Hell out of my chips.

MORE ADVICE: Definitely use leaner beef. 85/15 ends up WAY too greasy.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 25, 2020