Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Rhyming slang. Septic Tank, Yank, see?

Anyway, we've been here before, language use Americans don't like/understand, no doubt it'll go the same way again.

I used up my energy for arguing with it all last time, so yeah, once again, the interference would be a mistake, but gently caress it, let them get on with it, they can't be told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

Rhyming slang. Septic Tank, Yank, see?

these make sense when explained, but are otherwise entirely impenetrable. or maybe im just slow enough to need the help

im not arguing for or against it, since i feel a lot less strongly about this than the last time this discussion came around. i disagree with the use of the c-word because it is plain to see how someone could take it the wrong way and feel excluded and not want to come back here. i dont see as strong a case against "seppo", but clearly there was at least one person put out by it so maybe there are others

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I think us Americans can take being mocked occasionally given we have been the dominant culture on this planet for the last century give or take. As with anything, context will matter and someone being a constant raging rear end in a top hat against others for no reason other than them being American is bad and might be worth punishing, but someone calling you a seppo once a year ain't really it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, I literally have never been offended by that, but hey Facebook says I'm racist against Americans too so there you go.

If anyone would like one I will be selling S-word passes for only 1 Bitcoin each.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Hah, we're getting offended by some Convict Island contestants calling us seppo now? Lmfao. I (a huge seppo) used to play an MMO in a 98% Aussie/Kiwi squad of very drunk guys much older than me. They called me a seppo on teamspeak at 5AM for months before someone explained it to me - I thought it was hilarious. They were all stuck on 90s US rap so I returned the favor by coming up with a squad gangsign that was a man banging a sheep. They loved it. They loved it so much it was elevated to the official squad gangsign at all meets, and for years I had guys I had never met sending me photos of my gangsign from a continent I've never been to. Some of those guys stayed in the guest room at my parents house when I was like 18 and still send us Christmas cards. Some of them are the only people I still keep in touch with on Facebook, and some of them have passed away far too early. If some bogan fucker wants to call me a seppo, I will wear that badge with pride. The Down Under crew have a great sense of humor, don't flatter yourselves thinking otherwise.

i wasn't lying about the gangsign pictures

:nws: gangsign instructions: make hitchhiking sign with non-dominant hand. make an inverted V-sign with dominant hand, insert thumb through crotch of V and slam that wooly little bastard :nws:

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a thread about racing fuels

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a racing thread

drag
circle
circuit
off road
etc

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Sheep Game Update! (click here to play today!)

We're just under two weeks to the deadline of December 20th to get your Sheep Game entries in, and so far we are way down on entries compared to normal - the last two years we've had over 60 participants, this year we are on track for less than 40...this is disappointing AI, we can do better than this! Come take part in this end of the year tradition and have a little fun with your fellow posters, as we've done for the last seven years!

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Raluek posted:

these make sense when explained, but are otherwise entirely impenetrable. or maybe im just slow enough to need the help

im not arguing for or against it, since i feel a lot less strongly about this than the last time this discussion came around. i disagree with the use of the c-word because it is plain to see how someone could take it the wrong way and feel excluded and not want to come back here. i dont see as strong a case against "seppo", but clearly there was at least one person put out by it so maybe there are others

shut da fuk up seppo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Inkfish posted:

shut da fuk up seppo

A necro to shitpost and run. Bold move in the mod thread.

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

meatpimp posted:

A necro to shitpost and run. Bold move in the mod thread.

you're welcome

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Hey yo, check this community showcase thread out about some red trucks

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983095

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3996927

Have a look at this AI showcase about a car I had no idea existed, an Accord Type R

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The forum description has been updated with the ravings of our own seat safety switch. Its a goodun.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I'm sure I'm missing something, but what was actionable in this post:

Ok Comboomer posted:

Also get buff and embrace the Turkish Zangief look in your 30s

Zangief is definitely a look, is it because there was a nationality specified?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah what the gently caress?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

meatpimp posted:

I'm sure I'm missing something, but what was actionable in this post:

Zangief is definitely a look, is it because there was a nationality specified?
OkComboomer probs/bans in his first 12 years: 5.
OkComboomer probs/bans since covid: 68

Dude needs his self requested 30 day break. Why worry about a 6 hour prob for a hat trick semi-poo poo post?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
because the probe reason of "not welcome in AI" seems uh, extreme

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cage posted:

OkComboomer probs/bans in his first 12 years: 5.
OkComboomer probs/bans since covid: 68

Dude needs his self requested 30 day break. Why worry about a 6 hour prob for a hat trick semi-poo poo post?

Judge not of the quantity, but of the quality of one's probes.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4024874

AI showcase is back featuring a Toyota OHC V8 running carbs and a bunch of other insanity?!?!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't venture into the chat threads anymore (assuming that's where most of the e/n comes out) but noticed a couple folks being probated indefinitely/effectively banned lately. Can you be transparent on why this is happening now and how that process works?

I know this place isn't therapy but you're also closing the door on them communication wise to friends and people they've known forever. I personally don't use social media so closing me off from people here would suck and that's one less outlet to talk to people. As a neckbeard in a basement somewhere, I can empathize and would feel more isolated.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Without details given it sounds like STR has to pm CAT INTERCEPTOR and he'll deem him healthy enough to post again? Icky as hell.

Especially when he seemed to be the most honest with an outlet of well wishing peers.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

As somebody else who occasionally makes modding decisions, it sounds like STR was not in a great place mentally, and he and CAT agreed over PMs that it would be best for him to take a break from the forums. A thread of anonymous internet well-wishers shouting advice is not a support group. I don't know what was discussed in PMs, but STR is on a posting vacation and he can come back whenever he's ready.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ok.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

As somebody else who occasionally makes modding decisions, it sounds like STR was not in a great place mentally, and he and CAT agreed over PMs that it would be best for him to take a break from the forums. A thread of anonymous internet well-wishers shouting advice is not a support group. I don't know what was discussed in PMs, but STR is on a posting vacation and he can come back whenever he's ready.

In short, exactly this. It's a mental health break, let him focus on rehab and getting himself sorted, then PM an admin (not me or cat) to have the probe rescinded. It has been something done elsewhere on the forum and we felt it was the best solution here. It was discussed and agreed to by STR and Cat before being implemented.

In Rhyno's case, he flat out needed to be in therapy and dealing with his suicidal ideation. Long term, allowing discussion of suicidal ideation can have an effect on other users and corresponds with a trend of increasing suicide attempts among a user base. Following the guidelines given to the mods, Rhyno should have been permabanned. We discussed the option taken with the admins with the hope that Rhyno will deal with his poo poo and come back. As to that, we'll see.

Both of these are flat out the most unpleasant things I've dealt with since becoming mod, but I strongly feel that both were the best action to take for the long term health of the community and the users in question. And in both cases it was done after discussion between cat, myself, mr chips and the admin team.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Harbor Freight has a quick setting epoxy that I swear was $3.99 before lockdown.

I used it on all sorts of household stuff and things I can't wait hours on. But uhh hot drat as soon as it starts to gel up its over. I was mixing with a stir stick and one second its liquid, the very next swirl and check its too hard to apply where needed.
They sadly do not label which one is the activator so I have no way to slow the process down.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this seems like an unusual thread to post that in, but for the record the one that smells like fish is the catalyst.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Thanks for the explanation. It doesn't sound like a fun part of the job but with more context it sounds like the right approach. Thanks for the work you put into the site, especially the lovely parts.

Other guy, you must be lost.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I think I was looking for the May thread but it doesn't have the month name in it currently.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Chunjee posted:

I think I was looking for the May thread but it doesn't have the month name in it currently.

We went with one thread for 2023. I don't agree with this decision necessarily but have come to live with it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020941&pagenumber=62&perpage=40

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Suburban Dad posted:

Thanks for the explanation. It doesn't sound like a fun part of the job but with more context it sounds like the right approach. Thanks for the work you put into the site, especially the lovely parts.

Other guy, you must be lost.

It is probably the shittiest part so far tbh, but it is what it is. But yeah, this is why this thread is here, don't ever worry about asking why we did something or voicing a concern.

AI is still one of the easiest subforums on the site to be a mod for and that's down to having a wonderful group of posters here, ya'll make it all worth it. :love:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Elmnt80 posted:

In short, exactly this. It's a mental health break, let him focus on rehab and getting himself sorted, then PM an admin (not me or cat) to have the probe rescinded. It has been something done elsewhere on the forum and we felt it was the best solution here. It was discussed and agreed to by STR and Cat before being implemented.

In Rhyno's case, he flat out needed to be in therapy and dealing with his suicidal ideation. Long term, allowing discussion of suicidal ideation can have an effect on other users and corresponds with a trend of increasing suicide attempts among a user base. Following the guidelines given to the mods, Rhyno should have been permabanned. We discussed the option taken with the admins with the hope that Rhyno will deal with his poo poo and come back. As to that, we'll see.

Both of these are flat out the most unpleasant things I've dealt with since becoming mod, but I strongly feel that both were the best action to take for the long term health of the community and the users in question. And in both cases it was done after discussion between cat, myself, mr chips and the admin team.

To add to this, all three of us discussed at length what actions we were going to take with respect to STR and Rhyno; this was not a decision that was just made in a vacuum by any one of us by any means. It was doubly difficult in that in spite of their issues, both posters are fundamentally likeable people and are held generally in high regards by our community as a whole. But, there comes a time when they need to take a break from posting and get straightened out; we on the mod team will welcome them both back whole-heartedly once they are in a better place, and we hope all of you will too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MrChips posted:

To add to this, all three of us discussed at length what actions we were going to take with respect to STR and Rhyno; this was not a decision that was just made in a vacuum by any one of us by any means. It was doubly difficult in that in spite of their issues, both posters are fundamentally likeable people and are held generally in high regards by our community as a whole. But, there comes a time when they need to take a break from posting and get straightened out; we on the mod team will welcome them both back whole-heartedly once they are in a better place, and we hope all of you will too.

Also to add tot his, the Rhyno situation went on for a few months and was quite stressful to deal with, being that the community has been supportive of him and wanted to see him succeed. So do I but the forums were becoming an unhealthy place and as pointed out, suicidal posting is very problematic.

quote:

. Long term, allowing discussion of suicidal ideation can have an effect on other users and corresponds with a trend of increasing suicide attempts among a user base. Following the guidelines given to the mods, Rhyno should have been permabanned. We discussed the option taken with the admins with the hope that Rhyno will deal with his poo poo and come back. As to that, we'll see.

^^^ this was very much a major factor

I have more to say about STR but I wish to clear it with him first as it was said in private.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 18, 2023

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Elmnt80 posted:

It is probably the shittiest part so far tbh, but it is what it is. But yeah, this is why this thread is here, don't ever worry about asking why we did something or voicing a concern.

AI is still one of the easiest subforums on the site to be a mod for and that's down to having a wonderful group of posters here, ya'll make it all worth it. :love:

:glomp:

Most of my SA time is spent in TFF, HCH, chill Video Games threads, and AI (and mostly lurking here). Venturing into SAD has really opened my eyes to what mods/admins from TFF and AI, specifically, mean when they're thankful to be in a laid back part of SA (yes, the American football sub is laid back).

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also to add tot his, the Rhyno situation went on for a few months and was quite stressful to deal with, being that the community has been supportive of him and wanted to see him succeed. So do I but the forums were becoming an unhealthy place and as pointed out, suicidal posting is very problematic.

^^^ this was very much a major factor

I have more to say about STR but I wish to clear it with him first as it was said in private.

Again, mostly lurker and not trying to delve into specifics, but has anyone been in contact with Rhyno recently? That was a stressful saga just as someone reading the chat thread, much less having to moderate it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Blowjob Overtime posted:

:glomp:

Most of my SA time is spent in TFF, HCH, chill Video Games threads, and AI (and mostly lurking here). Venturing into SAD has really opened my eyes to what mods/admins from TFF and AI, specifically, mean when they're thankful to be in a laid back part of SA (yes, the American football sub is laid back).

Again, mostly lurker and not trying to delve into specifics, but has anyone been in contact with Rhyno recently? That was a stressful saga just as someone reading the chat thread, much less having to moderate it.

Rhyno has recently contacted another goon on facebook. What was discussed is between them, but yes, Rhyno is alive and kickin still.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I dont think we have had a CSB thread as a Community Showcase and thats long overdue

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4009338

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
How I learned to stop turboing and love the blue oval

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Day of car appointments.

Morning was spent at the dealer getting a new keyless entry key coded, now I am awaiting my new aftermarket wheels and new tires to be installed. Spendy but the Nokian Ones look like they will last me a good long while

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

sorry elemnt80 thought this was a chat thread, not a feedback thread.

My feedback: need a stickied chat thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Bilirubin posted:

sorry elemnt80 thought this was a chat thread, not a feedback thread.

My feedback: need a stickied chat thread!

We've got a chat thread but it's not stickied. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020941&pagenumber=89&perpage=40 Come on by!