Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kazzah posted:

I think Luria P is meant to be the "Swiss hand model" who fucks Orin.

This is correct. Luria Pérec, we see her first as the stenographer for Rod "the God" Tine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I don't think Hal is an unreliable narrator in the way you mean the phrase. The opening chapter takes place well after the rest of the novel's timeline; John Wayne is already gone, Hal is locked-inside but is accurately describing other characters reacting to his new demeanor, etc.

In the conversation-expert scene, he's already been dosed by eating the mold as a child (Avril running tight squares) but hasn't yet had his toothbrush dosed by Pemulis ("call it something I ate" refers to the mold, not the DMT). It doesn't make sense for him to already be locked-inside at that point in the timeline.

Jim is clearly insane as hell. He makes the Entertainment purely to break his son out of his shell, but we know it actually has the exact opposite effect. The fact that Hal winds up as a figurant, unable to communicate, is thematically important but not linked causatively to anything Jim did -- after all, Hal didn't view the Entertainment.

I think of Jim as a prophet-type figure in the sense that he already was experiencing Hal's future, which is why I think his wraith is hanging around.