Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Infinite Jest, written by David Foster Wallace

Tip: If you prefer NOT to read Infinite Jest, it does make a good coffee table on which to lay your cup.

OP goes here. Sorry for putting this part off but I will get to it. I am on a tight schedule in life, but this subject is important to me and I hope to continue to pursue the novel.

I am taking this seriously, also going into it mostly blind although I am aware of one or two spoilers.
The book was described to me as a big puzzle that you, the reader, are intended to unravel. I'd appreciate not outright spoiling the ending, but I guess I can't stop anyone. Please try to show some restraint.

I'm attempting to have a neat organization. Symbols I'm using:
* Chapter
** Character or Environment
**** Details/Plot/Summary of the narrative
>> My comments

I read the section first, then go back a second time to take notes. Essentially, if I muster the energy, it would mean reading the book twice.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
This is my analysis of the first page of the first chapter.

* Year of the Glad: Chapter 1-1, page 3

**** The first paragraph of the first page
The story begins in the first person narrative.
"I am seated in an office surrounded by heads and bodies."
The individual who's mind we are sharing is:

** Character: Harold 'Hal' Incandenza
Hal is hyper-aware of his bodily sensations. He thinks in a painfully detailed manner.

**** The introductory paragraph continues Hal's conscious awareness of temperature, the feeling of the chair, the walls, decorations on the wall, the windows, and the wall's insulation.

>> This isn't what I'd call normal. A regular personality would not see the people in the room as 'heads and bodies,' while over-anaylzing the walls.

** Environment: Office of University Administration

** Character: Uncle Charles, AKA: C.T., Chuck Tavis, or Dr Tavis
Accompanies Hal to the University Office. Hal's mother's half brother, Headmaster of Hal's high school.

** Character: Mr deLint
Also accompanies Uncle Charles and Hal. He is the varsity tennis coach.

**** Hal continues his observations
"The faces have resolved..." Hal turns his attention to the people in the room. He attends to their coats and ties, then the wood of the table, the way the light shines.

>> If the point hasn't been made clear, Hal isn't filtering out background details like a regular, socially well-adjusted person.

** Introduced Characters: Deans of Admissions, Academic Affairs, and Athletic Affairs
Hal doesn't know who is who. All characters are at this time sitting together at a table.

**** Hal's social mannerisms
He attempts to become aware of his appearance. "I believe I appear neutral..."
He was coached for this interview, being told not to make "what would feel like to me a pleasant expression or smile."

>> This is a hint, that the individual coaching Hal was well aware of Hal's social differences. I can imagine Hal's expression of pleasantry being very odd if he was instructed not to do it.

**** Hal sitting in a chair
He is conscious of crossing his legs in a very particular manner 'ankle on knee,' hands in a specific position 'lap of my slacks,' and fingers in 'the letter X.'
He becomes aware of other people again.
Uncle Charles is sitting next to Hal. Hal hears the jingles of pocket change coming from Mr deLint, the tennis coach's pocket. Hal notices the 'digestive' smell of the room, and the high traction soles of his Nike shoes in comparison to Chuck's loafers.

** Character: The Yellow Dean
A fixed smile. Conversational habit: "...relates my side of the story for me, to me." His face is yellow, according to Hal.

>> Yellow tinge to skin is associated with jaundice. This may be a side effect of liver disease related to alcoholism.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 8, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
i made a long post i didnt like so i am editing it out. Just consider this a long term project please

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 20, 2020