Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

I decided to pick this up purely on a throwaway comment somewhere saying Infinite Jest fans are as annoying as Dune fans, and I really liked dune, so :haw:

So far what's got me through the first 100 pages is getting to the very brief glimpses into how the medical attaché's quiet night in is progressing, but I'm persisting in the hope that the book gets going soon...

I have read literally nothing about this book that spoils the plot, but so far I'm guessing that the infinite jest work(s) that got mentioned in the torturously long filmgraphy endnote is what the mysterious tape is?

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

I finished this book half a year ago. It was good in the end, and I still think about it often :catdrugs:

10/10 would not recommend

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Even if you're a dumb idiot like me who doesn't make all the connections, you'll probably get to 90% of making all the connections and read that one guy's blog post who explains it all, and then you get the same "ah hah!"

Other than that, I think the use of language itself in this book was memorable. It was just a really enjoyable how many POVs in the story have their own style of writing, and how DFW's sentences pay zero respect to readability and still makes you want to make the effort to parse them even if you read one for the third time.