Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Experienced this book via Infinite Cast as well, and while I'm disappointed at the lack of resolution (DFW does a great job of building tension towards the AFR "invading" the ETA but never loving pays it off) but having finished the podcast now I just want to read more analysis and discussion about it which for my money makes it a good book.

Kazzah posted:

I think it's a red herring? I think Luria P is meant to be the "Swiss hand model" who fucks Orin. Which means that mixing her up with Avril is probably an intended read, and very blackly funny.

Orin wants to gently caress women who remind him of his mother so his final subject being that similar to his mother is another layer to the joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I think Hal is at best an unreliable narrator/protagonist as both before and after taking the LSD we can't be sure if what he says is happening is true (see the incident in chapter 1 and when he had a conversation with the "conversation expert" - both times he described himself as being outgoing and erudite but others didn't think so)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

The conversation expert is his dad

Yeah I know, and he thinks he talks to his Dad normally but his Dad thinks he doesn't talk at all

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

mdemone posted:

I think of Jim as a prophet-type figure in the sense that he already was experiencing Hal's future, which is why I think his wraith is hanging around.

Oooh, that's a cool way of thinking about it and explains why he thought Hal was not communicative too