Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I said less heinous than a war crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I was disappointed the other night when I caught a tram (for the first time since March) and mask compliance was like 50%. Not because I thought it was dangerous, just a general irritation that some people (men and teenagers) think the rules don't apply to them. Whereas at the heart of the crisis, compliance was like 99% even if you were walking down the street.

If I was in Gladys' shoes I would have issued a mask mandate several days ago. They are low sacrifice, low/medium benefit, so why not? It's ridiculous to say, as she has, that it would be "crazy" for people not to wear masks on trains or in shops and yet not mandate it. But having said that, in a situation like Sydney's, they're unlikely to make much difference. Transmission mostly occurs in places where people wouldn't/can't wear masks anyway.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

ABC posted:

Mr Crerar, a former human resources manager in the Mid-North Coast Local Health District (MNCLHD), was told to hand his pass in and leave the building immediately on February 4, 2019.

Six months later he found out why he was suspended — for communicating with his union.

Although MNCLHD told Mr Crerar he had been referred to ICAC at the time of his suspension, NSW Health later admitted that never happened.

:lmao:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

People are wearing masks in Melbourne’s dirty west

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

hambeet posted:

People are wearing masks in Melbourne’s dirty west

Not sure how effective they are at stopping the virus though

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Glen hotel has posted a bunch of ads for positions available on Facebook. Like ten positions. Really hope it's not just all positive cases in insecurely employed youths

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Ever since they relaxed the restrictions for the masks in Melbourne, I have had a few instances where I've forgotten, so I think I'm going to pretend I still need to wear it all the time.

My brain jusy works better with "outside of house = mask all the time" than "sometimes, if you're going to be indoors at these particular places". I recently made it all the way to the checkout of a supermarket before I realised I'd forgotten, was shocked noone stopped me

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

freebooter posted:

I actually don't give a gently caress about Christmas per se, but it would've been nice to see my family after a year stuck in my apartment in Melbourne

Whilst I also give no fucks about Christmas, in my personal situation I have the opposite reaction to you.

I have been stuck in Melbourne at my parents house since June, (due to my job in Korea going balls up due to COVID, and nobody hiring anywhere also due to COVID). So under normal circumstances it would have been nice to maybe share a Christmas phone call with my parents/family at Christmas time. The fact that I have been here with them for most of the year, in close quarters for most of it, makes me long for the days when I was a continent away. As, all things being equal, I should be again from March next year.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/cash-for-koalas-nsw-government-considers-paying-farmers-to-preserve-habitat-20201221-p56pc1.html

Or we could just let them keep the habitat on their land for free, and if they remove it, throw them in loving jail.

but no lets pay them actual money for doing the absolute bare minimum right-thing.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

quote:

“Just like we did on energy, the Deputy Premier and I will find a way through this issue that protects private property rights and helps preserve our most loved and iconic animal,” he said.

I get lovely whenever I see them describe koala conservation like this just because

a) koalas are loving obnoxious annoying animals and anyone who genuinely loves them is deranged
b) none of that poo poo matters wrt conservation because how we feel about animals is loving irrelevan

Also lmao I'm not sure what happened wrt the energy production sector and koalas but somehow I dont believe that it was a successful conservation effort on behalf of the energy industry

Maybe I'm just bitter because I drove through bridgeman downs last month and all the koala habitats that were there when I was a kid were gone and the green spaces set aside for them are like maybe half an acre each between major 80/90k roads. They are going to be extinct in our lifetimes for sure and this lip service to them because they're a 'national icon' while they are wiped out en masse is pathetic.

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 22, 2020

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Hot take: You can't protect private property rights while also protecting the environment.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Yes but unless you expressly own property under contract then mining companies will blow it up

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Maybe if the government wanted to protect koalas they shouldn’t have privatised the land and zoned it for agriculture :shrug:

Maybe the burden of protecting species shouldn’t be solely on the landowners that didn’t already clearfell their properties, but by society more broadly :shrug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Privatise the koalas there'll be shitloads of them

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

JBP posted:

Privatise the koalas there'll be shitloads of them
you joke, but the private wildlife trade is going to keep koalas non-extinct for as long as there's international travel. same with many species of parrot and lizard. it's almost a ray of hope.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

perepelki posted:

you joke, but the private wildlife trade is going to keep koalas non-extinct for as long as there's international travel. same with many species of parrot and lizard. it's almost a ray of hope.

:thunk:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
:negative:

#koalakiller

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/GordyPls/status/1340895946255679488

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-23/world-first-adult-cyber-abuse-crackdown-proposed-for-australia/13008470

Now Anidav, I only did it for the lols, so we can let it slide just this once?

Mr Cameron died in hospital five days after he was found hanged in his cell at Casuarina prison on 28 October 2015. His father had committed suicide in custody in 1998 and he also lost a sister to suicide. Cameron had made threats of self-harm in the days before his death and had been placed on six-hourly observations, which then dropped back to every 12 hours. He was placed against prison procedures in a non-safe cell because he wanted to remain in a particular unit, and prison guards at the inquest said his threats of self-harm had been associated with "crying wolf". He did not receive regular therapeutic support because the prison counselling service was understaffed. The coroner made eight recommendations including an urgent increase to the number of prison counsellors and an increase in the number of ligature-minimised cells at Casuarina, which as of 2019 sat at 40%.

ISSUES RAISED
Medical care required but not all given, procedures not all followed, mental health / cognitive impairment.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
So is Chrimbo deleted yet or

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

So is Chrimbo deleted yet or

Restrictions got RELAXED for the next 3 days. Kids don't count towards your 10 visitors per day.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Toilet paper is selling out again lol

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Do you think ScoMo will put his Order of Merit Award from Trump next to his "I stopped these" boat thing in his office?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Yeah man, I remember when toilet paper used to be cool.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Intoluene posted:

Restrictions got RELAXED for the next 3 days. Kids don't count towards your 10 visitors per day.

Hmm..

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

melbourne already did all this.

sydney, stop copying. it's sort of pathetic now.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
oh my god when will people learn

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Good news everyone! Popular infant formula Infants Friend has been recalled because it contains chloroform and never thought to mention that since 1935.

quote:

Parents have been warned to stop using Infants' Friend oral liquid immediately after the popular product was found to contain chloroform, a byproduct of chlorine.

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a total recall of the product from all retailers in light of the discovery.

Infant's Friend is a registered complementary medicine and has been manufactured and sold in Australia since 1935, according to the brand's website.

The product is advertised for use to relieve colic and wind, reduce restlessness during teething, and keep babies' bowels regular.

The government regulator said it recently became aware that the liquid includes a small amount of chloroform as an inactive ingredient.

The company only lists the product's active ingredients on its website: cassia oil (from cinnamon), aniseed oil, dill oil, magnesium carbonate and ammonium bicarbonate.

There is no public mention of chloroform or any other inactive ingredients.

The TGA has warned that while intermittent use of the product is "not expected" to be harmful to children, the product label does not specify a maximum number of doses or duration of use, which may lead to prolonged use at harmful high doses.

"When used at high doses, Infants' Friend oral liquid can expose children to levels of chloroform that are higher than the level established to be safe," the TGA said in a statement.

"At high doses and/or following long-term use, chloroform is known to cause damage to the liver, kidneys and nervous system.

"The established safe level of intake for chloroform is based on studies in animals and include wide safety margins."

According to the Australian Government's National Pollutant Inventory, chloroform is a clear, colourless, volatile, non-flammable liquid with a pleasant, sweet odour. It is primarily used in the production of refrigerants and plastics and in the manufacture of other chemicals.

The TGA has recommended parents to stop using the product immediately and return any remaining product to the place of purchase for a refund.

Until now Infants' Friend has been widely sold at major supermarkets and chemists, including Coles, Woolworths and Chemist Warehouse.

Infants' Friend was considered a "grandfathered" medicine, the TGA said, which means it was available in Australia prior to 1990 when the regulator was first established.

"As a grandfathered medicine, the TGA has not evaluated Infants' Friend oral liquid for safety, quality or effectiveness," the statement says.

"Further regulatory actions are being considered to ensure any future supply of this medicine meets the TGA's high standards for safety, quality and effectiveness."

Top Men. Top...Men I'm sure.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Hopefully fisherman's friend is still ok tho

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

That's so hosed but I can't stop thinking about an old timey cocaine medicine style ad but for baby formula that 'really knocks jr out' and laughing I'm sorry I'm on the tins already merry Christmas everyone

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Comstar posted:

Good news everyone! Popular infant formula Infants Friend has been recalled because it contains chloroform and never thought to mention that since 1935.

This could be an item in Hitman 3.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

No business can ever be trusted to do the right thing. How do we keep failing to learn that lesson.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Hopefully fisherman's friend is still ok tho

mix it with vodka, just to be sure

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/stilgherrian/status/1342000889385558017

worth clicking thru

Halloween Liker fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 24, 2020

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Comstar posted:

Not “formula,” you should probably take some it might help you settle down.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

It's good to go through and slowly clean up medications that seem to have worked (or not worked) for eight decades without much reporting of adverse effects, even if it is just out of an abundance of caution. It seems that they are concerned about that in event of unforeseeable overuse, it could could cause adverse effects and that is why it is being removed.

It might be that they simply have to place recommended and do not exceed doses on the packaging and it can go back on sale.

I am not sure why the breathless commenting though. It seems like a medicine that has been used for eight decades without reported adverse effects, that when used at levels outside expectations, it could technically exceed a belt and braces limit (I am sure the TGA limits, like a lot of statutory limits are set well below the safe limits of a substance). The fact that they don't mention what they consider high or prolonged dosing leads me to believe that high is very high (maybe multiple bottles) and prolonged is very prolonged (maybe longer than children have colic).

If there is no safe level of chloroform, that is not an issue for the medicine maker as much as the TGA having to research/review its limits and publish the update but I suspect that chloroform, being medically used and also commonly present in treated tap water, is well understood that to a certain level is not that big of a deal.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Electric Wrigglies posted:

It's good to go through and slowly clean up medications that seem to have worked (or not worked) for eight decades without much reporting of adverse effects, even if it is just out of an abundance of caution. It seems that they are concerned about that in event of unforeseeable overuse, it could could cause adverse effects and that is why it is being removed.

It might be that they simply have to place recommended and do not exceed doses on the packaging and it can go back on sale.

I am not sure why the breathless commenting though. It seems like a medicine that has been used for eight decades without reported adverse effects, that when used at levels outside expectations, it could technically exceed a belt and braces limit (I am sure the TGA limits, like a lot of statutory limits are set well below the safe limits of a substance). The fact that they don't mention what they consider high or prolonged dosing leads me to believe that high is very high (maybe multiple bottles) and prolonged is very prolonged (maybe longer than children have colic).

If there is no safe level of chloroform, that is not an issue for the medicine maker as much as the TGA having to research/review its limits and publish the update but I suspect that chloroform, being medically used and also commonly present in treated tap water, is well understood that to a certain level is not that big of a deal.

felt like chloroform reading this

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'd say it's that people know chloroform as a serious medicine, a "knockout drug" which they don't want to be giving to their children in any amounts.

Another potential reason is that people are sick of companies lying to them about the presence of potentially dangerous substances, even in trace amounts.

Johnson and Johnson springs to mind with decades worth of lies and deception over asbestos in their baby powder.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

felt like chloroform reading this

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Merry Christmas thread from your pals the Discord.