Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

First impressions of Spirited Away from someone who's interests do not come close to Anime.

For context, I am a 6ft 260lb Strongman who likes Quentin Tarantino films, drinking good quality IPAs, Bourbon and Rum. I like tech-metal and heavy electronic music. I have never had any interest in anime before, it has never appealed to.me, nothing about it.

I had surgery on my arm last week and am signed off work for the next 6 weeks, can go for a walk, but can't drive. I cannot use my right hand so am fairly limited in what I can do.

Today, I decided to out my prejudice behind me and give Spirited Away a go, I had heard of Studio Ghibli and thought, 'why not?'

I have to admit, I absolutely loved it. I had no idea what to expect, but I love how the story evolves constantly. The whole film escalates continuously in a dream like world that kept my attention the entire way through. I'm prone to drifting during films, but I was watching properly the whole time.

The plot, characters, storyline and setting kept expanding, so rapidly, that before long I wasn't concentrating on the 'why's', just accepting what was happening for the sake of an adventure film and going with it.

Don't get me wrong, I have so many questions that I'm happy to leave unanswered, such as:

Why are they all animals?

Why are there some humans that noone is questioning?

What is No-Face?

Why does the bathouse business need to exist?

Why is there suddenly a Geisha house?

Why is there a disproportionate amount of frogs?

Why does the bird lady look identical to Margaret Thatcher?

Why is No-Face eating everybody?

What on earth is this giant baby doing?

Why does Alice in Wonderland look like a day trip to the beach after this?

Why does No-Face go completely back to normal after leaving?

I think No-Face is absolutely fantastic for reasons unbeknownst to me.

I was dreading that there would be a 'she woke up and it was all a dream' ending and was glad to see there was a subtler, more clever ending to it than that.

Highly impressed, never thought I'd watch an anime film yet alone enjoy it.

Hahaha how’d you hurt your arm Cobba hahaha wanking off right hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

CelestialScribe posted:

It is extraordinarily telling that you all see me going to a park outside my 5km zone - with no one else around - is spreading the virus, but someone hooking up on Tinder and going halfway across the city is completely fine.

Please get some perspective.

Hey go gently caress yourself idiot

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

nocturama posted:

it is extraordinarily telling that you've told him to go gently caress himself

I don’t know what this means so carry on

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Tokamak posted:

sometimes people just need to gently caress

But enough about Gladys

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

NPR Journalizard posted:

Is discord is a very different thing to a forum thread, and each has its place. Discord doesnt work for me for a couple of reasons that have been stated repeatedly.

Hey mate you do you honestly.

But I’ll just say I didn’t want discord because I didn’t like the App, I thought it was a glorified IRC channel, and I felt like I would miss out on all the conversation.

Honestly I joined it because I thought SA was collapsing when the lowtax poo poo came out and I wanted a life raft to another non discord solution.

In the end I’m loving it much more and I honestly thing the conversation is better and more friendly while still being able to express thoughts + opinions.

I haven’t posted in this thread much for a while now but these days I don’t even read it (I clicked on it because in the discord hambeet was joking about closing the thread)

In any case love you all love you thread bye