Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I imagine a Batmancer summons Adam West and Burt Ward to Pow! Bap! Thump! their enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Roger Explosion posted:

So what's the deal with Pally and Scomo and this QLD border-funeral business? It's a month away from the state election so it's a little hard to decipher what actually happened and what's Murdoch mud-slinging.

It sounds like the prime minister of Australia has a surprisingly open schedule considering there's a pandemic on.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Sparticle posted:

Scomo/murdoch going for round 2 after pulling similar poo poo two weeks ago. They claimed a pregnant woman lost her child because of QLD border restrictions. It turns out NSW officials misinformed her (there is a medical emergency exemption to get around the border rules) and she never actually attempted to cross the border.

Do you have a source for that bit? Hadn't heard it.

E: also absolutely want to shove Scotty in a blender. "It's not about politicians. It's not about elections. The only thing that matters today is that Sarah can be with her 11-year-old sister and her mother while they mourn the passing of their father and husband at Mt Gravatt today."

No you absolute useless fuckwit, gently caress off back to Hawaii and don't come back.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 10, 2020

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Ta.

Scotty doubled down and says we're at risk of losing our humanity in this pandemic. I agree, we are literally losing humanity when people die.

I would love to know how this story came to Scott's attention.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Senor Tron posted:

Remember when Morrison was against asylum seekers being able to go to a funeral?

Apparently they must be more dangerous than Coronavirus.

We are at risk of losing our humanity, says man proudly displaying a trophy for indefinitely locking up children.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

freebooter posted:

I am very pro border restrictions but that case was one in which Morrison was right and Palaszcuk was wrong. The bereaved in question was flying in from the ACT, where there's no community transmission. What was the risk?

edit - I'm not saying Morrison wasn't politically motivated, obviously he was. But so was Palaszcuk. Taking a hardline "no exceptions" rule to "send a message" is lovely when we do it for international migrants and lovely when we do it to our own people too.

Indefinite asylum seeker detention and hotel quarantine during a literal pandemic are not even close to the same situation.

Palaszcuk didn't make the call, they passed on Morrison's info and let their CHO make the call.

There was an exception. The bereaved was offered a private viewing but not exempted to attend the funeral proper to mix with other people.

Yes, hard borders/no exemptions rhetoric is a political tool, it shouldn't be (and wasn't) applied. Limiting movement and contact between people is the most effective measure to control covid.

It is absolutely awful for that person, for that family, but poo poo sucks for a lot of people right now. It will suck a lot more if too many exemptions are made and they go full victorian.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

freebooter posted:

There's more COVID in Queensland than in the ACT. She would literally be more at risk from the other funeralgoers than they would be from her.

It's no risk to travel from a lower risk area to a still-low-but-higher risk area?

Edit:

TheMostFrench posted:

Right? "It's not about politics" say the LNP, as they post on their official feeds every few hours that Queensland ALP should step down because 'this is bad leadership'.

My understanding is people are upset the premier has let some high profile people into the state while not making an exception for this woman. Then the health commissioner said something like 'these individuals were allowed in because they make money for the state', which ironically, is perfectly in line with Scomos goal to get the Australian economy going again as fast as possible.

Yeah that's absolutely fair to be angry about.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 11, 2020

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Sooooo... Are we going to talk about one of the co-authors of the modelling Dan used saying Dan's gone twice as hard as they would've recommended?

ABC posted:

University of Melbourne epidemiologist Tony Blakely, who co-authored the modelling used by the Government, said the target for moving to the thid step was "too stringent".

He told the Herald Sun newspaper the target of fewer than five daily coronavirus cases across two weeks was overly cautious.

"That's their [the Government's] call, it's not one I would have made," he said.

Professor Blakely said he would have aimed for an average of 10 cases per day, rather than five.

The Herald sun article quotes the co author saying Dan's limit has a estimated 3% chance of a third wave. Their preferred target has s 10% chance.

Guys. I think Dan's played Xcom.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Anidav posted:

Started with centrelink finally, first job they recommended me is picking fruit lmao.

The system works.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I'll sleep soundly knowing the nation's budget will be back in black 0.0003 seconds earlier than otherwise.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Tommunist posted:

No leaners in our nation

Think of the poor executives who won't get their bonuses paid out of JobKeeper money. :(

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Maybe me dumb

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

bandaid.friend posted:

Machine learning and artificial intelligence are all very well and good but what I'm really excited about is if they can get bushfires on the block chain

I am so down to see what an AI comes up with. Hmm if I have a drone, the most efficient search pattern for finding a fire is to nosedive straight into dry grass.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

JBP posted:

Nationalise farms and forcibly send anyone with <30 years of age or whatever it is now.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

bell jar posted:

ISSUES RAISED:

Scomo

Thread title please

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

That's exactly why it should be in the thread title.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

'WHAT HAVE I DONE': AUSTRALIAN “HACKER” OBTAINS TONY ABBOTT’S PASSPORT AND PHONE NUMBER FROM A BOARDING PASS

quote:

After months of trying to get a hold of the former Prime Minister, Alex said he tracked down Mr Abbott’s personal assistant. He claims Mr Abbott’s personal assistant told him he was already in the process of getting his boss a new passport number.

He said it wasn’t long after that phone call that Mr Abbott himself gave Alex a call.

“Mostly, he wanted to check whether his understanding of how I’d found his passport number was correct (it was). He also wanted to ask me how to learn about ‘the IT’,” Alex said.

E:

quote:

“The point of this story isn’t to say ‘wow Tony Abbott got hacked, what a dummy’. The point is that if someone famous can unknowingly post their boarding pass, anyone can.”

lol bit late

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 16, 2020

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Anidav posted:

Warren Entsch on 7 News: We all know the best form of welfare is a job in response to concerns about Jobseeker Cuts.

7 News, I'm pretty sure Entsch doesn't qualify for welfare, you should stop giving him work.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Uhh for some reason the SBS article on it 404s, but the vic LNP reckon they're going to table a no confidence motion in Andrews. If you make it through the dot point list of their reasoning why without breaking your monitor you're better than I am.
  • the avoidable deaths of more than 700 Victorians due to Labor’s second wave of COVID-19,
  • the botched hotel quarantine program that caused the second wave, including refusing to accept ADF support,
  • lying to a Parliamentary committee claiming ADF support was never offered to Victoria for hotel quarantine when it had been,
  • contact tracing failures which have prolonged Victoria’s second wave,
  • the cuts made to the public health team, making them the nation’s least resourced heading into the pandemic,
  • imposing an arbitrary and potentially illegal curfew without the advice of the CHO,
  • causing the closure of thousands of businesses and the loss of hundreds of thousands of jobs,
  • public housing lockdown and effects on multicultural communities,
  • failure to properly protect frontline healthcare workers with appropriate PPE,
  • mental health effects on Victorians, and particularly young Victorians,
  • the handling of the Cedar Meats cluster,
  • lying about virus modelling supporting the harsh restrictions imposed on Victorians,
  • green-lighting the Black Lives Matter protest in Melbourne’s CBD where 10,000 protesters broke health rules without fines,
  • setting virus suppression targets that world-leading scientists say are unduly onerous,
  • risking Victorian and Australian sovereignty through Belt and Road,
  • dragging Victoria’s major infrastructure projects over-time and over-budget with the state entering recession prior to the pandemic, and;
  • disrupting the education of all Victorian students.

labah second wave

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Zenithe posted:

Joe Hildebrand has joined 2GB. I’m sure this revelation will shock you.

Shocked that he wasn't already with them yeah.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

hooman posted:

There are days when I wonder if this is, in fact, purgatory.

Then poo poo like this happens and you realise.. no.. this is definitely hell.

The gif was just two days away from retirement.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

:yeah:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

JBP posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-16/nsw-central-coact-holiday-homes-tourism-covid-19-hotspots/12669074

I don't know what to do about this. Like it's not just a whinge and I know I wouldn't be working a full week to earn a hundred bucks more than jobseeker if I was on it. This combined with all the insolvent traders will be interesting. Work for the jobseeker incoming.

Jobseeker will be significantly reduced in 5 days when the Coronavirus supplement goes from $550/fn to $250/fn.

Pretty sure there would already be work for the jobseeker in the mutual obligation toolbox.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

hambeet posted:

why is the queen there? is this a sov citizen thing?

why rupert? do they think he is helping dan control victoria?

If there's a HQ version I'd be tempted to print it at work but explaining it to my boss will be tough, he hasn't got terminal internet irony poisoning. I love the two little security cameras hanging off the border. Who's that far right underneath the Queen, i can't see?

JBP posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-16/nsw-central-coact-holiday-homes-tourism-covid-19-hotspots/12669074

I don't know what to do about this. Like it's not just a whinge and I know I wouldn't be working a full week to earn a hundred bucks more than jobseeker if I was on it. This combined with all the insolvent traders will be interesting. Work for the jobseeker incoming.

JBP posted:

Avoca is not an expensive place and I'd rather go surfing and smoke weed on the "reduced" (inverted commas because it's cheaper to live there than the city) rate than get a job.

JBP posted:

Because I live in Melbourne. This is my home. My home is not a less expensive area of the country where jobseeker and keeper is of a greater real value for the time being.

Idgi, what are we supposed to argue with you about? The rate of jobseeker, the rate of the Coronavirus supplement, dole bludgers, cost of living, pay and condition, jobseeker/jobkeeper disrupting businesses, something else?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

which hot sauce should go on avo toast

szechuan

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

That picture crashed my tablet.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

We're in D&D. That particular problem is going to resolve itself very shortly and then we can go back to our regularly scheduled stomping the unemployed.

14 cases in Vic overnight, holy poo poo.

Sydney taxi driver worked 8 days while infectious, holy poo poo.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Robodebt court documents show government was warned 76 times debts were not legally enforceable

quote:

The federal government was warned 76 times by a tribunal that Centrelink robodebts were not legally enforceable, according to court documents.

Gordon Legal claims that the dozens of judgments– which were previously hidden from public view – show the government knew the scheme was unlawful because it declined to appeal on every occasion.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

SMH has an article about our mate jordies. No idea what the text is.

Also big lol at framing not making a decision on keeping/extending the original Coronavirus supplement until October as remaining agile.

E:

Social Services Minister Anne Ruston posted:

We will not be making announcements in budget. We don't know what Australia is going to look like on the other side of this pandemic. We don't know when it's going to end. So we will remain agile and we will continue to provide the support that is needed for Australia and Australians.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 21, 2020

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Government paid 10 times what Western Sydney Airport land was worth, audit finds

quote:

Serious concerns were raised about why only one valuation of the land was obtained prior to the sale, and why that work was done by a valuer suggested by LPC.

:thunk:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Maritime law hangover from when you could feasibly sail away maybe.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

China forces 500,000 Tibetans into labour camps

Cool cool cool.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

The 'we should do nothing in exchange for China maybe possibly doing something like letting us watch their human rights abuses close up' is pretty good.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Just think, if this is what they're caught doing now, imagine what they got away with 15/30 years ago. :sun:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

This is what happens when Sex Ed is taught by Skippy.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I don't know what healthy Harold is, so I stared at the post for a while thinking Harold... Krell?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Extremely confused thinking it was a long bomb call back to the krelly rap somehow.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

TheLastRoboKy posted:

You were told to go into the shed to talk to Harold but really you were there for that mannequin that you could pull the organs out of cause that poo poo was sick as hell.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

The amount of immediate suspicion I have for anyone calling themselves "touchkin" is phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

TheLastRoboKy posted:

If you've got a better place to store your severed head collection I'd like to hear it.

hambeet's shed, same as everything else.