Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I turned the tv on this morning and saw that but Dutton's head full screen.
I took a nasty turn and had to have a lie down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The cops choking that dude and punching his teeth out is brutal

I can't believe they are doing that to well informed, peaceful, altruistic protesters who have the health of the community foremost in their hearts

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Can Victorians stop licking doorknobs for like five minutes

We did, that's why we had 14 cases yesterday

We're allowed to start licking them again if the 14 day average stays below 50 by September 28

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We had 3 council candidates in our bit of Camberwell, I voted for the only one that didn't put keeping down rates as their top priority. Rich homeowners around here can afford it

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This reads like "government decisions have never really affected my life in an easily discernible way until now, and all of a sudden I have strong opinions on their decision making process and feel they should be held to account for every consequence, whether it could have been predicted or not, or if any other government would have done any better"

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CelestialScribe posted:

Do you live in Melbourne?

Yes

I haven't been as badly affected as you, but I haven't seen my family or friends for months and lost a full time job opportunity, I'm lucky that I can make money as a freelancer.
As people keep saying, you and others have legitimate anger but it's like being angry cos a cyclone came through.
I'm not convinced another hypothetical Victorian government would have done any better, turns out tiny mistakes and random chance can have huge consequences in this kind of thing.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bell jar posted:

I reckon when all this started Dan hosed up with the F1 and stuff but I've been generally happy with his handling of the second wave lockdown. It hasn't been perfect but also they didn't have the benefit of hindsight. I'd rather be in lockdown for months and have less than 15 cases a day, than end up with a 8,000 case a day situation like Belgium

Yeah, Europe is a cautionary tale for us in real time right now

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I reckon the govt giving up America style and saying "do whatever you want, ppl gonna die" is more likely than full authoritarian mass imprisonment.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm still kind of surprised that various governments have resisted what I'm assuming is serious pressure from large industries, business groups, interest groups, political donors etc. for this long. That they seem to be putting human life above the economy is weird

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CelestialScribe posted:

1. The vast majority of cops do not ask that and 2. I don’t give a poo poo about going to a restaurant

The boot licking in this thread is insane. When the 5km limit is listed on Sunday the back flipping will be crazy.

Tbh I'm ok with licking epidemiologist boot right now

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Stuff like the Box Hill hospital outbreak makes me think we would have had to get very lucky to get rid of it altogether
Window of good will may be closing, and I understand why. It sucks though

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KTS posted:

Everything about CS is intensely weird. His screeching meltdowns over the initial stage 3 lockdowns to now being happy with harsher restrictions to back then as long as stage 4 gets eased slightly, believing the intimate partner rule is for casual hook ups instead of people in a relationship who dont live together, thinking that because you've supported the 5km radius that it's backflipping if you travel outside of that when the restriction is lifted. It's honestly infuriating reading his posts and childish logic towards it all.

The lockdown has been poo poo, my wife and I are both essential workers so we've been busting our asses, while homeschooling kids and dealing with isolation from everyone (you know, just like everyone else in Melbourne). We've been lucky to avoid the worst effects of the lockdown both financially and for our health, my wife works in intensive care and has had plenty of contact with COVID patients over the last 6 months, and I have to deal with and come into contact with the hordes of selfish public who need to go shopping "because it's so boring at home" while working in a hotspot suburb. One of my staff got the rona as well just before stage 4 kicked off. During this all I've had to attend my uncles funeral remotely, celebrate kids birthdays over facetime. I was meant to be on my first holiday in 10 years last week, and my plans for my 10 year wedding anniversary are up in smoke as well. I still think the lockdown was the right call, and caving and opening up now seems like the wrong call.

Not sure that I even have a point beyond a bit of a rant, but I think my main point is gently caress CS

A lot of people have never had something like this happen to them in their lives and they have no control over it or ability to do anything about it (except the public health requirements).
I guess different people react in different ways, some them not logical ways

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CelestialScribe posted:

I mean, argue that it's selfish, argue that I'm setting a bad example, sure. But it isn't threatening anyone's health.

The point that people have made repeatedly is that if everyone did what you are doing there would be a risk to health.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CelestialScribe posted:

That is a very different argument than, "you are putting someone's health at risk". I'm not. What I am doing is potentially setting a bad example.

You're putting yourself outside of the of rules that everyone else has agreed to follow. Whether the rules are correct or not, it seems like exceptionalism on your part.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Carnaticum posted:

As an aside, I gave blood for the first time last week*. Place was packed and appointments were sparse. I asked the nurse if its usually that busy or its just lockdown meaning people are just looking an excuse to get out. It was the latter.

That's a positive at least. In my case 0+.

*been meaning to for ages but had my own medical issues until recently.

I went in last week for my 6th donation and mentioned that I had a bit of fatigue for a few days after the last one (I run daily and noticed that I just didn't quite have the same spring in my step, if I wasn't running I probably wouldn't have noticed) and they told me I was permanently banned from giving blood. I tried to explain that I run a lot and sweat a lot and I may have just not replaced my salt correctly but they wouldn't hear it. I get that it's probably an insurance thing but it didn't feel great. I should ask if I can get a doctor's note or something. I only mentioned it cos I thought they might give me advice on modifying the running or diet or something

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have to try not to get optimistic even though that number is good. I really want to see my family again. I hate zoom

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like some Australians need to remember something called Mateship

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was really hoping the loving racing would be cancelled this year

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think I heard Andrews say that he expects regional travel to resume some time in November, despite what the roadmap says.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Regional travel is the big one for me cos I can't see most of my family.

If they can control this northern suburbs and school thing going on at the moment hopefully that means they are on top of things enough where we can get to a nsw situation where we don't have to be at a sustained zero to do anything social.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Zero cases in Vic today. Well folks, I think we've seen the last of this coronavirus! See you at the pub

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Compared to the poo poo Australian governments have wasted money on, a big Tesla battery, which has been beneficial for SA, seems not so bad. Elon Musk also definitely seems like wanker

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

lol how loving dumb do you have to be to throw away free goodwill points

It's meaningless LAYBAH virtue signalling mister speaker

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solemn Sloth posted:

14 day average 0.0 dan stronk Victoria prosper

On the trails and parks I frequent the mask wearing is getting much more slack. They might have to adjust the rules soon just to avoid the perception of widespread obvious rule breaking with no consequences. The masks don't bother me so I'm happy to keep wearing them but it's going to be hard to convince people of the need to wear them in outside parks, sports fields, trails etc when there is very little virus getting around

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I don't really understand the utility of masks in a park or whatever when you can sit in a busy restaurant precinct without a mask for hours.

It's the kind of arbitrary distinction that can erode confidence in the whole health response, I reckon they'll have to change it. There have been a few articles by non crazies saying something like this

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tomberforce posted:

Yeah it does seem pretty strange when at work we have to wear masks when working outside all day but then go into the crib rooms for lunch and taken them off to eat while sitting inside in close proximity to each other.

I guess on the flip side blanket requirements are far easier to comprehend than nuanced specific rules for certain circumstances. Messaging gets too complicated otherwise.

Easier to enforce/police too I guess

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know someone that lives near Essendon airport and looks up the planes on app as they're going past to see where they're going and stuff, apparently it's a thing people do. He has some kind of radio setup to listen to their communications as well.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I see Victoria is planning to do what we discussed some thread ago about expanding public housing.

Which is nice and hopefully they are dusting off some old detailed plans and not just rushing it and creating the equivalent of UK projects housing.

Good to see, I assume it's not enough but still a good thing. They did frame it a job creation thing too, which is kind of weird but if it means more public housing then whatever

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

VOTE1 posted:

Oh great 17 cases in SA. We’ve long since stopped any proper form of social distancing, hopefully this was caught early enough otherwise we could be proper hosed.

Does anyone wear masks in SA?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Peccadillo posted:

It's a miracle he had a publisher at all after the baby killing manual had to be pulped

This all started with paleo I swear. There is some kind of pipeline that starts in Crossfit and paleo territory, travels through anti-vax, and ends up with Q and nazi poo poo

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
One new case in SA, that seems like good news

I don't have Vic numbers to watch each day so I'm watching SA numbers now

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

froglet posted:

While I don't do Crossfit, I've been going to group fitness classes and I think they can easily become massive echo chambers.

Most of it is harmless enough, but even some of the more innocuous stuff can feed into the sort of mindsets and attitudes opportunistic charlatans prey on.

I was being a bit flippant with the jab at Crossfit, seems like it gets people fit. There does seem to be a bit of acceptance of bro science in and around it though.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Senor Tron posted:

https://twitter.com/PMalinauskasMP/status/1328868129557004295?s=20

Even if things drag on here I think this sort of attitude alone should make things a little bit less stressful than the Victorian experience.

Nobody listened to Tim Smith's bullshit and it was clear Andrews wasn't going to be pressured so that wasn't really the stressful part. Dictator Dan works better than dictator Steve though.

Stalin Steve maybe?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

freebooter posted:

Whoa, no takeaway and no outdoor exercise? Full-on Spain/Italy lockdown? That's loving intense. Good on them, but I'm really (pleasantly) surprised they'd go this hard.

If it works it will probably be something other states could expect if (when) they get a cluster from now on

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sulla Faex posted:

To my mind it'd seem like general mask use would be a good counter to an airborne virus with a short incubation period and high rates of asymptomatic spread. Numbers are very low in Australia, sure, but why is it acceptable to go full fash on individuals who catch it, and just give a free pass to everyone else? Masks are like close to zero effort so I still don't get why it's apparently such a big deal to put one on

Every virologist and public health person says masks work.
Ever since this started I've had trouble coming to terms with people that refuse to wear them.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's been really weird how politicians and the media were trying to 'get Australia ready' to hear some really shocking news about our brave diggers. Of course they were committing war crimes you morons, anyone who thinks it was all done by the book over there is unbelievably credulous or willfully ignorant. Or has never met anyone in the armed forces

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
People stopped talking about covidsafe so quickly I pretty much forgot about it. If the state health department told me to install it because it would help I probably would have

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sulla Faex posted:

normalising the correlation of beauty and worth is an extremely cool thing to do, nice hill youve picked

I don't disagree with you, but don't go in the Trump thread

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Sorry I made fun of Dutton, by his own wife's account he specifically isn't a monster.

My wife's statement addresses many of the questions raised by my wife's statement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That show Addicted Australia on SBS was kind of interesting in that they did this multi pronged treatment with group therapy, detox, private sessions and pharmaceutical treatments working together. The thing that stood out though was that most of the patients reported some kind of trauma, that may have been addressed in therapy but not included in the show for obvious reasons. Makes you wonder how things like AA help anyone ever